PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning: Last Year, Last SuperBowl?

Moke
12-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Was last year, Eli's last Super Bowl?

We all want Eli to win us another one, but how many years does he really have left? Not sure we can really get to the Super Bowl anymore.

Don't get me wrong, we have a talented squad, but this is a good question that we could consider since last year we were all asking ourselves how many more Super Bowls Eli has in him.

What do you guys think?

Rudyy
12-28-2012, 10:56 AM
If we don't fix the o-line and d-line, you can forget it.

BigBlue1971
12-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Eli still has 4-5 years left as a 1st string qb. if he plays well the team plays well!

right now i can see Eli winning at least one more sb. he should be in line for one this year but how effective can one be taking two steps forward and then 4 steps backwards?

he is too clutch to have played his last super bowl imo.

Toadofsteel
12-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I hope he gets two more... maybe then people will take him seriously as an NFL-quality QB?

TheAnalyst
12-28-2012, 11:07 AM
I hope he gets two more... maybe then people will take him seriously as an NFL-quality QB?

Not if he is posting 21TDs - 15INT seasons and throwing under 4K yards. I dont care if Nicks was injured most the year, that is pathetic in the now a days NFL.

Rudyy
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Not if he is posting 21TDs - 15INT seasons and throwing under 4K yards. I dont care if Nicks was injured most the year, that is pathetic in the now a days NFL.Actually Nicks being hurt has really limited our offense. Our own coach said so: http://sulia.com/c/new-york-giants/f/3c019392-24c5-46e5-b14a-aac92bee9798/?source=twitter

Jahh
12-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Actually Nicks being hurt has really limited our offense. Our own coach said so: http://sulia.com/c/new-york-giants/f/3c019392-24c5-46e5-b14a-aac92bee9798/?source=twitter

It does no good recognizing that after week 16. They should've got someone in there who could help more. Or adjust the offense accordingly. Neither happened.

Rudyy
12-28-2012, 11:21 AM
It does no good recognizing that after week 16. They should've got someone in there who could help more. Or adjust the offense accordingly. Neither happened.I wonder if they knew of it but didn't say anything or address it. Wouldn't be surprised.

Jahh
12-28-2012, 11:28 AM
I wonder if they knew of it but didn't say anything or address it. Wouldn't be surprised.

Oh, I think they knew but didn't act. Just as bad imo.

Although, the dynamics of sitting a star player who wants to play through injury is probably more complicated than I'm crediting.

TheAnalyst
12-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Oh, I think they knew but didn't act. Just as bad imo.

Although, the dynamics of sitting a star player who wants to play through injury is probably more complicated than I'm crediting.

If you know it will hurt the team, you sit him though.

And I thought Barden and Hixon did pretty well when they were called upon.

Eli is making rookie mistakes over and over. Staring down WRs, chucking the ball up for grabs, not going through his progressions to hit a wide open guy underneath. He got us 2 superbowls, but this season he really regressed.

Roosevelt
12-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Eli doesn't have any problems winning Super Bowls.

His issue is playing at a high level throughout the regular season.

GameTime
12-28-2012, 12:15 PM
It will go hand in hand as far as the Giants winning any more SBs with Eli as the QB. Its not on Eli alone.

JJC7301
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
I think that he just had a bad year, like the rest of this team. Can you point to any one player that had a good year? Prince, but seems like he's injured alot. And Cruz, but I still expected more from him. That's the quietest 1,000+ yards I think that a Giant has ever had.

I think that Eli's got at least 5 more good years in him, but this is the 2nd half of his career. Can't be blowing opportunities like this.

Sarcasman
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM

We all want Eli to win us another one, but how many years does he really have left? Not sure we can really get to the Super Bowl anymore.

Don't get me wrong, we have a talented squad, but this is a good question that we could consider since last year we were all asking ourselves how many more Super Bowls Eli has in him.

What do you guys think?

Since he hasn't won any by himself, I think it's a better question to ask of the organization.

gumby74
12-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Eli doesn't have any problems winning Super Bowls.

His issue is playing at a high level throughout the regular season.

This. Eli will probably get more respect winning no more SBs but putting up consistently great seasons for the rest of his career, than doing what he's been doing and winning 2 more SBs.

Fair or not, I'm pretty sure that will be the case. When it comes to respect, inconsistency is getting you nowhere. And this applies to everything. Not just football.

G-MENBK
12-28-2012, 01:44 PM
I think that he just had a bad year, like the rest of this team. Can you point to any one player that had a good year? Prince, but seems like he's injured alot. And Cruz, but I still expected more from him. That's the quietest 1,000+ yards I think that a Giant has ever had.

Cruz has 1,000+ yards but he's almost 500 yards off pace from last season. Nicks is behind 500 yards as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again: this season, the receivers weren't getting additional yards after their receptions.

Delicreep
12-28-2012, 01:50 PM

What do you guys think?

If your not gonna do any thinking, then where do you get off asking me to?

gumby74
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Cruz has 1,000+ yards but he's almost 500 yards off pace from last season. Nicks is behind 500 yards as well.

I said it before and I'll say it again: this season, the receivers weren't getting additional yards after their receptions.

It's not all Eli's fault but he's a part of the reason. It's difficult to get yards after the catch when they aren't being hit in stride. 2011 Eli hits them in stride. Hell, that's how Kurt Warner put up those huge numbers. He had plenty of time and just put it in stride to Boldin and Fitz.

EliMVP-NYG
12-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Of course losing Nicks hurt us, he is our #1 WR. People saying we should cut him loose this year need to lay off magic markers.

bigblue58
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM

What do you guys think?

Is it the last year and SB for Brees and Roethlisberger too?
Get used to this being a recurring theme with me, because those two QB's are considered elite, where most people don't see Eli and they had the same lack of success to miss the playoffs too!
I'm just curious why these ridiculous questions are only asked about Eli and not other QB's who had down years too whom he's constantly judged inferior?

gumby74
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Get used to this being a recurring theme with me, because those two QB's are considered elite, where most people don't see Eli and they had the same lack of success to miss the playoffs too!
I'm just curious why these ridiculous questions are only asked about Eli and not other QB's who had down years too and who he's constantly judged to not be as good as.

Because their down years are not nearly as bad as Eli's and have more good years than Eli does. Quite simply, they're more consistent.

Moke
12-28-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm just curious why these ridiculous questions are only asked about Eli and not other QB's who had down years too whom he's constantly judged inferior?

It's not really a ridiculous question. It's a serious question.

I'm actually bringing up a good debate to have... I rather these types of questions than having to either sulk or acknowledge the team in 50 threads.

Hooligans
12-28-2012, 02:02 PM

What do you guys think?

I think you are right and there are none left in him....time for the Giants to bring someone in and hopefully take over in a couple of years. This year made it more than clear that Eli is on a major decline.

Hooligans
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM

No Brees and Roethlisberger played MUCH better than Eli did. Some NFL players are done at age 29, some 34....everybody is different and while Rivers and Eli look like they are in decline, others their age or older look fine.

G-MENBK
12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
It's not all Eli's fault but he's a part of the reason. It's difficult to get yards after the catch when they aren't being hit in stride. 2011 Eli hits them in stride. Hell, that's how Kurt Warner put up those huge numbers. He had plenty of time and just put it in stride to Boldin and Fitz.

Hard to hit someone in stride when one is playing injured and the other isn't making the catches he's supposed to. Add in them not being able to create any space between themselves and the defender, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

If anything, I'm actually more ticked off at Coughlin for allowing Nicks to play even when it was evident he lost a step and not allowing either Hixon or Barden more playing time.

G-MENBK
12-28-2012, 02:17 PM
No Brees and Roethlisberger played MUCH better than Eli did. Some NFL players are done at age 29, some 34....everybody is different and while Rivers and Eli look like they are in decline, others their age or older look fine.

Roethlisberger screwed the pooch for the Steelers his last two games. Threw an interception in OT which allowed the Cowboys to kick a FG and he threw an interception against the Bengals which allowed them to kick a FG, killing the Steelers hopes for a playoff spot.

bigblue58
12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Hard to hit someone in stride when one is playing injured and the other isn't making the catches he's supposed to. Add in them not being able to create any space between themselves and the defender, and you've got a recipe for disaster.

If anything, I'm actually more ticked off at Coughlin for allowing Nicks to play even when it was evident he lost a step and not allowing either Hixon or Barden more playing time.

+1

bigblue58
12-28-2012, 02:21 PM

You obviously watched zero Steelers and Saints games this season to make a statement so blatantly uninformed!

GiantRoc
12-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I think Eli and the rest of the team has a good enough base of talent to get back and win. The trouble I see, is that we have some big holes to fill on the O-line and at LB. I also think that the league has just figured out Gilbrides offense and Eli's tendencies. There has to be a change in the offense. If it is a big change, it may mean a slow start next year. I would take a slow start and a strong finish anytime though.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-28-2012, 03:57 PM

What do you guys think?

I think be grateful we have him....before Eli won his first Superbowl people were wondering if he was capable of winning one,,then when he did people wondered if he could do it again,,,Eli goes as the team goes,,he plays one position on the field,,,not all 11.

Moke
12-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I think be grateful we have him....before Eli won his first Superbowl people were wondering if he was capable of winning one,,then when he did people wondered if he could do it again,,,Eli goes as the team goes,,he plays one position on the field,,,not all 11.

I realize this obviously, but the question was simple, will he win another one? Will he have a team and coaching around him to go all the way again?

BuffyBlueII
12-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Not if he is posting 21TDs - 15INT seasons and throwing under 4K yards. I dont care if Nicks was injured most the year, that is pathetic in the now a days NFL.The TD/INT ratio is bad but his yardage is not.Eli had an off year but then again so did almost everyone else on the team.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I realize this obviously, but the question was simple, will he win another one? Will he have a team and coaching around him to go all the way again?

I answered your question indirectly,,,if he won 1,,then won 2,,,it is reasonable to say he will win 3,,as long as the peices are around him.

Hooligans
12-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Roethlisberger screwed the pooch for the Steelers his last two games. Threw an interception in OT which allowed the Cowboys to kick a FG and he threw an interception against the Bengals which allowed them to kick a FG, killing the Steelers hopes for a playoff spot.

Big Ben may have had two bad games after his injury....Manning went bad after week 8, and got worse and worse.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Big Ben may have had two bad games after his injury....Manning went bad after week 8, and got worse and worse.

but the turnstyle OL,,a hurt nicks, and no running game had nothing to do with it? not to mention predictable play calling and a D that couldn't stop a nose bleed. leave Eli alone already,,the guy had a bad year combined with the teams problems,,,for all he has done,,,he gets a pass this season,,like it or not.

JesseJames
12-28-2012, 05:02 PM
for all the great games Eli has had I think he will be remembered as having a problem with consistency

BuffyBlueII
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
but the turnstyle OL,,a hurt nicks, and no running game had nothing to do with it? not to mention predictable play calling and a D that couldn't stop a nose bleed. leave Eli alone already,,the guy had a bad year combined with the teams problems,,,for all he has done,,,he gets a pass this season,,like it or not.

I am a huge Eli Manning fan, he is my all time favorite NY Giant. There were problems all the way around on the team this season and you know what? The brunt of the blame should be put on Eli Manning because he is our QB and leader. He needed to put out some of those fires and get the guys focused. We give him the most credit, rightfully so, so far, when we win SuperBowls so we need to call it like it is in this instance too. Insofar as giving him a pass, he has brought us 2 SuperBowls, he has earned his status as a NYC icon and Legendary NY Giant. However, we can still point it out when he plays poorly.

G-MENBK
12-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Forget the Packers and Redskins game?

TheEnigma
12-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Maybe one more deep playoff run left in the Eli era. The problem is that a lot of this team's core players are also veterans and it will take a few years just to adjust. Maybe we get lucky and pull that off next year but I feel the current situation with our cap will end up hindering our path back to the top.

As for Eli himself, I think he ends up finishing his career elsewhere ala Peyton and tries to take a solid team on a deep playoff run for 1-2 years before retiring. The Giants will get Eli's replacement the Packers way and he will sit on the bench for a few years before taking the reigns. This is all just a gut feeling and Eli's competitive spirit won't let him allow the Giants to tell him when he's over.

rar57
12-28-2012, 08:27 PM
You can't go through more than 2 progression with the time, Eli has had to throw. Eli has not forgotten how to play qb, his team around him has regressed, due to age and injury, I suspect, Nicks should have been put on the Ir, to allow the giants to get another receiver to help. Nicks has been only a shadow of himself. He appears to be injury prone, as is Bradshaw. If you want Nicks back at 100%, get another receiver, Mike Wallace, perhaps, and I promise Nick's game will improve. The Giants missed Manningham more than I suspected. Cruz drew double teams for the last half of the season, due to there not being another receiving threat, that opponents respected. Hixon is so inconsisent, as was the rest of the receiving corp. Double team Cruz, stop the run, and you have the Giants beat. Eli pointed out he had no chemistry with the receivers because he had a different bunch from practice, as compared to games. That will not work on timing routes and reads, the giants passing offense, so Eli has been up the proverbial creek. Gilbride will not utilize his rb in the passing game, only for blocking. Look at the other offenses around the league, the Saints live off throwing to their backs. Eli is perfectly suited for the west coast offense, thus his success, in the two minute offense. There are offensive changes that will help this team succeed, but a philosphical change, by the coaching staff, or Coghlan, that must take place, first. The Giants want to run the ball, as do all teams, but when you can't, aka, the New England Patriots, you have to adjust your offense to your strengths.

Defensively, the Giants appear old and slow, Slowest lb corp in the NFL. Defensive line that once, was a strength, is now average at best. There may injuries we don't know about. A very weak secondary, that relies on the pass rush to be successful, is inept. There is promising new blood in the db ranks, but they have had a problem seeing the field, for whatever reasons.

Folks, Eli has not forgotten how to play or what it takes to get to a championship. But he cannot do it alone.. The strength of this team is its qb, and kicking game. The offensive line has all but disappeared, thus the problems in running game and pass blocking. Defensive line can't get pressure or stop the run, so the back side of the defense is exposed. Ask any good fb coach or gm and they will tell you, you build a football team from the line of scrimmage out, but you must have an outstanding qb. The Giants have Eli now, they must begin to rebuild around him. It will take a couple of years but it can be done, before Eli leaves.

The front office has the ball now

Antwuan
12-28-2012, 09:46 PM
I Hope Not.