PDA

View Full Version : OK Fewell is gone LOL

flashnando
12-28-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/fewell_blames_players_not_himself_uvhOX6GHTv7KuQTS 69783H#axzz2GMWk7oAT

egyptian420
12-28-2012, 11:56 AM
While the effectiveness of his scheme is debatable, the players are definitely to blame either way, they gave up, on offense too.

Rudyy
12-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Players are just as responsible. What has Tuck or Osi done this season? Corey Webster?

TheAnalyst
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
While the effectiveness of his scheme is debatable, they players are definitely to blame either way, they gave up, on offense too.

Thats fine, but this makes him look bad IMO. Sounds like a desperate DC trying to save face and pointing fingers.

Well with this, you can put a big L in the books for Sunday. No way I see this motivating the players vs Vick and McCoy.

YATittle1962
12-28-2012, 11:58 AM
gone because Cyrgalis chose a horrible title for his article ?

Perry said nothing wrong in that interview

listen to the words come out of his mouth and judge for yourself instead of reading what a journalist chooses to quote

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/DC-Perry-Fewell-on-making-plays-on-defense/eca6c587-5c6e-4700-bac9-6fc1f0cf7d7d

rebelfan1966
12-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I have seen a lot of missed arm tackles.....

TheAnalyst
12-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Players are just as responsible. What has Tuck or Osi done this season? Corey Webster?

How can all of a sudden all the players just forget how to play.... ALL OF THEM. Where has JPP been? Most DCs would drool over someone like JPP and have plays specifically for him to terrorize QBs. Not Fewell. Imagine if Spags had this dude? He would have 15-20 sacks.

egyptian420

listen to the words come out of his mouth and judge for yourself instead of reading what a journalist chooses to quote

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/DC-Perry-Fewell-on-making-plays-on-defense/eca6c587-5c6e-4700-bac9-6fc1f0cf7d7d+1...I never read the article just the title, but I did watch the interview and I saw nothing wrong with it. All articles cut and paste certain things out of context to try and sell papers, nothing new.

Toadofsteel
It's the goddamn New York Post. They exist to twist peoples' words into headlines...

Show me an article from somewhere credible and I might believe you...

Moke
12-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Eh, take it with a grain of salt. THe media probably spun his words like usual.

flashnando
12-28-2012, 12:02 PM
I agree with the players being a problem but isn't that part of the coaches job?!?!?!?!?!? if someone is not performing then sit their @ss down and plug in another player! It goes for us regular people, if you don't perform at work, guess what? your going to be replaced. But like a regular 9-5, if you let that employee get away with it that employee will stay there as long as you keep him there. Same goes for the players, you let them get away with not hustling and half @ssing plays, then yes they will continue to play like Krap. If you bench them and then put in a rookie or some other player on the bench two things will happen, either the player gets MAD and plays harder or will get MAD and just quit and show his true colors. I blame the COACH!

ny06
He stated the obvious. The players have not executed on defense all season. Be it getting to the qb, staying disciplined, blown coverage assignments. And lastly Fewell can't tackle for his players.

TheAnalyst
Where is the article where Gilbride says its Eli and the players faults?

SweetZombieJesus
12-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Does Bill Belichick point fingers at his players or did he ever? IMO if you end up in his doghouse you're history.

Why not design your schemes to minimize how much the players could potentially screw up? And isn't this what happened during last year's run? If you stumble across a winning formula completely by accident, why not stick with it?

flashnando
12-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Gilbride is busy hiding and hoping everyone forgets about him so he can keep his job, he also promised to add one more play to his arsenal for next year......Play action deep pass instead of the drop back deep pass lol

Redeyejedi
12-28-2012, 12:14 PM
How can all of a sudden all the players just forget how to play.... ALL OF THEM. Where has JPP been? Most DCs would drool over someone like JPP and have plays specifically for him to terrorize QBs. Not Fewell. Imagine if Spags had this dude? He would have 15-20 sacks. Last year most of JPP's sacks came when QB's held the ball for over 4 Seconds. JPP was getting there because of effort and plays began to break down not because of pure edge rushing skill like Aldon Smith. This year they have gotten nothing from Tuck slightly more from Osi but none of these guys are forcing pressure moving the QB and then JPP finds them. U could see the decline in these players last year. The truth is Tuck,Osi and Webster got old and if your team is built on the pass rush,your number 1 corner becomes a scrub and your best deep safety is always hurt well your team is going to go down the toilet.The Giants defense this year with Kenny Phillips 18.5 ppg , without K Phillips 25 ppg ,50 more passing yards per game

Jahh
I'm personally not real thrilled with the idea of Perry putting it on the players. The thing to do is usually take blame whether it is your fault or not. Then again, even Eli is starting to publicly blame Nicks.

flashnando
Does Bill Belichick point fingers at his players or did he ever? IMO if you end up in his doghouse you're history.

Why not design your schemes to minimize how much the players could potentially screw up? And isn't this what happened during last year's run? If you stumble across a winning formula completely by accident, why not stick with it?

Exactly! my point exactly, your the EFFIN coach so sit the players who don't want to execute! just because they are the "stars" of the team and get paid lots of money doesn't mean they have to play all the time. Use your bench players and see if you get a spark from them, they are probably hungry and eager to play since they are always on the bench.

flashnando
12-28-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm personally not real thrilled with the idea of Perry putting it on the players. The thing to do is usually take blame with it is your fault or not. Then again, even Eli is starting to publicly blame Nicks.

I don't know about Eli blaming Nicks, he just simply stated the obvious, its tough to execute plays accurately when a player isn't on the field or practice consistently. All he meant was Nicks unfortunately is always hurt and it hurts the chemistry on the field, i don't see anything wrong with that. He didn't say NICKS SUCKS! he never plays because he sucks. lol

EliMVP-NYG
12-28-2012, 12:18 PM
The NY Post is horrible, no surprise they baited you all into a meaningless article.

Jahh
12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't know about Eli blaming Nicks, he just simply stated the obvious, its tough to execute plays accurately when a player isn't on the field or practice consistently. All he meant was Nicks unfortunately is always hurt and it hurts the chemistry on the field, i don't see anything wrong with that. He didn't say NICKS SUCKS! he never plays because he sucks. lol

Everyone is very subtly pointing fingers right now. Its not a good look. Stating the obvious or not. It's a little late for the explanations.

ny06
12-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Last year most of JPP's sacks came when QB's held the ball for over 4 Seconds. JPP was getting there because of effort and plays began to break down not because of pure edge rushing skill like Aldon Smith. This year they have gotten nothing from Tuck slightly more from Osi but none of these guys are forcing pressure moving the QB and then JPP finds them. U could see the decline in these players last year. The truth is Tuck,Osi and Webster got old and if your team is built on the pass rush,your number 1 corner becomes a scrub and your best deep safety is always hurt well your team is going to go down the toilet.The Giants defense this year with Kenny Phillips 18.5 ppg , without K Phillips 25 ppg ,50 more passing yards per game

That's not entirely true. JPP had a handful of sacks getting to the qb within 3 seconds. Of course he had some sacks when the play broke down, but that can be said about every player in the NFL. JPP is still playing on raw ability, he's fairly new to the game. As for last year when did Osi show he was declining? He had 9 sacks in 9 games, maybe Tuck showed some decline but in the playoffs he played great.

Kruunch
12-28-2012, 12:23 PM
My biggest problems with Fewell in this last stretch are these:

1) He doesn't know why his defense is playing so badly.

2) He needs one of his players to make "the big play".

Good coaching and good schemes don't rely on players having to "cowboy up".

Fewell is a poor defensive coordinator who caught a bit of fire late last season from some over achieving players. His body of work doesn't merit retention however.

Jahh
12-28-2012, 12:25 PM

2) He needs one of his player to make "the big play".

Fewell is a poor defensive coordinator who caught a bit of fire late last season. His body of work doesn't merit retention however.

I completely agree. I think the players like him but I think the scheme is tired. Maybe it worked in Buffalo where the personnel was below average but I don't think it connects with above average players. Do you believe Reese will give him the axe?

Edit: I guess that would be Tom's decision though.

BlueJayC
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Another great article from the NY Post......

Almost as good as this one.......you guys hear this week's game has been moved to 4:25pm. - http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_season_finale_moved_to_tnl1c9zve9OchhTurRCe 0K

What a complete waste of trees, ink and paper.

BuffyBlueII
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I donít think he said anything wrong in the article.

I think folks tend to forget that we have had these problems on defense and offense for quite a few years now. Heck, last year we were pretty inconsistent and had an awful defense till the last 2 games of the regular season.

BigBlue1971
12-28-2012, 12:36 PM
i think these guys got to the point they were satisfied with winning last year when they were not expected to.

they thought they could push a button and it would all happen all over again. it was everyones fault that the success is not the same!

the offense was just as bad as the defense!

Kruunch
12-28-2012, 12:36 PM
I completely agree. I think the players like him but I think the scheme is tired. Maybe it worked in Buffalo where the personnel was below average but I don't think it connects with above average players. Do you believe Reese will give him the axe?

It didn't really work in Buffalo. He had a decent secondary and defensive secondary turnovers but they were soft in the middle and on the outsides under his tenure (much like we are now in fact).

PARTS of Fewell's defense are good. But not the whole. That's the issue and teams (especially with some tape) can and have exploited that.

The front office doesn't tend to fire people barring a total melt down (ala Sheridan in 2009). Tim Lewis got the boot for getting progressively worse (started middle of the pack in 2004 and by the end of 2006 had our defense in the bottom quarter of the NFL). The same argument could be made for Fewell (started 10th, was 27th last year and 30th so far this year). The big difference being that Lewis went to the playoffs twice, while Fewell went to the playoffs once, but won a Super Bowl. Both had successively markedly worse years with the Giants.

If I were forced to bet, I'd say Fewell is here next year and gone by 2014 if results don't radically improve.

nycisgreat
12-28-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/fewell_blames_players_not_himself_uvhOX6GHTv7KuQTS 69783H#axzz2GMWk7oAT

Everyone on defensive is to blame. If a coach is quick to point his fingers at the players without taking any of the blame himself, then I will put it squarely on the shoulders of the coach. That statement would be an indictment of himself. That means he tried to shoved the same thing down their throat, and not make any adjustment if what he comes up with doesn't work. If the players are not getting you schemes after 16 weeks change it! Coughlin for years was a tough @ss, and his old school style rub many of past Giants players the wrong way. In order for him to have a better rapport with his players. He was asked to change his ways and he did, and he was rewarded with great success a little after his change. I think Fewell need to do the same thing. Just bite the bullet and think of schemes outside of the box that would put players in the best position to make play. Those kinds of adjustments I haven't seen him make in the past 3 years. Just only spurts here and there.

tcseacliff
12-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Thats fine, but this makes him look bad IMO. Sounds like a desperate DC trying to save face and pointing fingers.

Well with this, you can put a big L in the books for Sunday. No way I see this motivating the players vs Vick and McCoy.

FEWELL, threw evrybody under the bus, except himself! I though most coaches want the players to stay away from the media. real motivation, this guy!

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9fLP?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=new-york-giants

TheAnalyst
12-28-2012, 12:56 PM
You can never have enough pass rushers. Time to use that motto again. OL and DL need to be fixed for next year. I said the Baas signing was bad, and I stand by it. Add in Diehl being way past his prime and Snee getting there as well, and we are in trouble. Now the RB needs to be able to block, which our #1 pick Wilson can not do. It also forced Martellus to block more, limiting his role. Its the domino effect. A Strong OL and DL is a Strong team.

Jahh
12-28-2012, 12:59 PM
You can never have enough pass rushers. Time to use that motto again. OL and DL need to be fixed for next year. I said the Baas signing was bad, and I stand by it. Add in Diehl being way past his prime and Snee getting there as well, and we are in trouble. Now the RB needs to be able to block, which our #1 pick Wilson can not do. It also forced Martellus to block more, limiting his role. Its the domino effect. A Strong OL and DL is a Strong team.

I'd like to see some numbers on Bennett blocking versus running routes. He still caught a bunch of passes this year and I'm not willing to concede that without seeing some stats.

JB456
12-28-2012, 12:59 PM
It didn't really work in Buffalo. He had a decent secondary and defensive secondary turnovers but they were soft in the middle and on the outsides under his tenure (much like we are now in fact).

PARTS of Fewell's defense are good. But not the whole. That's the issue and teams (especially with some tape) can and have exploited that.

The front office doesn't tend to fire people barring a total melt down (ala Sheridan in 2009). Tim Lewis got the boot for getting progressively worse (started middle of the pack in 2004 and by the end of 2006 had our defense in the bottom quarter of the NFL). The same argument could be made for Fewell (started 10th, was 27th last year and 30th so far this year). The big difference being that Lewis went to the playoffs twice, while Fewell went to the playoffs once, but won a Super Bowl. Both had successively markedly worse years with the Giants.

If I were forced to bet, I'd say Fewell is here next year and gone by 2014 if results don't radically improve.

I think your right about Fewell staying but I hope your wrong. There needs to be a major shake up on defense and I would love to see some young players bring some energy to that side of the ball along with a new defensive coordinator. There have been way to many blown coverages this year and the defense is ranked like 30th in yards allowed. Damn, except for a a few steller games here and there, this year made me have flashbacks of Bill Sheridan...

TheAnalyst
12-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see some numbers on Bennett blocking versus running routes. He still caught a bunch of passes this year and I'm not willing to concede that without seeing some stats.

He did, but less as the season went along with the OL issues. Not sure where to find those stats,

Marvelousmik
12-28-2012, 01:03 PM

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/videos/DC-Perry-Fewell-on-making-plays-on-defense/eca6c587-5c6e-4700-bac9-6fc1f0cf7d7d

as always. the actual interview in audio is much different from the article.

VBGiantsFan
12-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't care what Fewell did or did not say, I was hoping the title of this thread lead to an article where it was announced he was actually gone. He may be a players coach, but he can't light a fire under the bellies of his players.

radar-ray
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Rod Rust + Johnnie Lynn + Tim Lewis = Perry Fewell. Read and React = Crap.

raintheory
12-28-2012, 01:29 PM

What has JPP done this season?

jomo
12-28-2012, 01:33 PM

Well with this, you can put a big L in the books for Sunday. No way I see this motivating the players vs Vick and McCoy.He

Jahh
12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
What has JPP done this season?

It hasn't been a completely garbage season for JPP. Still has 61 tackles, 6.5 sacks, an interception for a TD, a few stuffs. I don't think we should expect 20 sacks a year from him. He probably plays the run far better than he'll have rush the passer.

DaKraken
12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
As convenient as it would be I frankly just can't blue Fewell for the collapse and likely missed playoff season

raintheory
12-28-2012, 01:44 PM
It hasn't been a completely garbage season for JPP. Still has 61 tackles, 6.5 sacks, an interception for a TD, a few stuffs. I don't think we should expect 20 sacks a year from him. He probably plays the run far better than he'll have rush the passer.
Ok fair. who's the next best DE on the team behind him?

Jahh
12-28-2012, 01:48 PM

a four way tie for ineffective

TheAnalyst

I expected more sacks then last years 16.5. He has 6.5! That is horrible. No gameplanning from the defensive side to get him in one on one matchups to take advantage of. Look what Dallas does with DWare. A good DC will find a way to get him going. He has way to much talent to have only 6.5 sacks and patheticly lead the team. Tuck made some great plays this season too. So did Osi. But none are having a good year.

TheAnalyst

Tracy?

BeatYale
12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
How can all of a sudden all the players just forget how to play.... ALL OF THEM. Where has JPP been? Most DCs would drool over someone like JPP and have plays specifically for him to terrorize QBs. Not Fewell. Imagine if Spags had this dude? He would have 15-20 sacks.

You're absolutely right. The players were giving it their all on every single down in every single game. Fewell is the one who made it appear as if they forgot how to play football. And if we were to simply replace Fewell with Spags, it would be raining sacks every game. The double teams on JPP wouldn't matter, he'd become so strong under Spags scheme that he would fight through the OLine with no problems.

Jahh
12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
I expected more sacks then last years 16.5. He has 6.5! That is horrible. No gameplanning from the defensive side to get him in one on one matchups to take advantage of. Look what Dallas does with DWare. A good DC will find a way to get him going. He has way to much talent to have only 6.5 sacks and patheticly lead the team. Tuck made some great plays this season too. So did Osi. But none are having a good year.

Yeah, I'm more likely to blame coaching than I am JPP directly. That's my only point. I mean several times this year he had guys looking foolish but it didn't end up in a sack. Remember what he did to Tyron Smith and Silverback? If offenses are getting rid of the ball quicker against us these days then our secondary needs to play more aggressively and adjust.

raintheory
12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
a four way tie for ineffective
The right answer is Osi.
but this answer is acceptable as well, they all played below their level this year, could be scheme, could be them. Osi had 9 sacks in 9 games last year he has 6.5 this year, he is a pass rusher, and just like you said "He probably plays the run far better than he'll have rush the passer." It is the reverse for Osi, but how do you expect any player to develop a rythm when they are the 2nd option in a rotational D-Line. I am not defending anyone on that Line but we need to stop just pointing the finger without know what's really going on.

Last year JPP to the league by surprise, much like RG3 this year. this year teams game planned for him and are finding ways to neturalize him, is it his fault for not adjusting or Fewell fault for not finding ways to get JPP to the passer? take your time to answer that

Jahh
12-28-2012, 02:09 PM
is it his fault for not adjusting or Fewell fault for not finding ways to get JPP to the passer? take your time to answer that

If it is truly due to QBs getting rid of the ball quicker (as has been said), then its Fewell. It's impossible to get there in any quicker than a couple seconds. If the secondary can't hold up that long because they are playing off coverage, then you can't blame any of the pass rushers. The real answer is that I have no clue but I've still seen JPP toss guys aside like rag dolls this year.

BeatYale
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultimately effort is more significant than scheme.

giantsfan420
12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Wow. The only player i could see this being fair for pf to say is webster. Aside from that, wow smh. Just wow. Speechless and that rarely happens with me n my big mouth

giantsfan420
12-28-2012, 02:16 PM
And about jpp and the pass rush, yes thats on pf imo. Last week he used jpp as the joker for the first time in i cant remeber how long, and jpp got a good hit/pressure on flacco.

Ive said this before and ill say it again, if the players are practicing well and implementing the gameplan well, the lack of success gameday could and is imo bc the gameplan is not effective. This is the first time i can recall a coach making a statement like this, like he just threw his guys jnder the bus. Dunno how the players on d are gonna be able to trust/respect him like they did before he said this.

bigblue58
12-28-2012, 02:17 PM

Fundementally speaking.....if your players are always out of position, you are getting burned for 400 yards as an AVERAGE per game, and your D is 30th in the league........your schemes can't POSSIBLY be "good"!
If it's all the "players", then you are saying that you have zero talent on the Defense, because it can't be BOTH.
You can't claim there is talent on your side of the ball, then claim you're schemes are good , it's your players who are totally inept.
All I know is...Sheridan got fired for the same kind of putrid performance he got from his D and Fewell deserves the same fate!
If he's got his head that far up his rectum that he thinks his game plans have actually been good, then he deserves to get fired for that alone.

flashnando
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
I thinks he said this only because he knows he is on the way out, this was a "i don't care what happens" statement from him.

BeatYale
12-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Fundementally speaking.....if your players are always out of position, you are getting burned for 400 yards as an AVERAGE per game, and your D is 30th in the league........your schemes can't POSSIBLY be "good"!

The article didn't say that. Fewell was claiming players were IN position, not out of position. Webster, for example, gave up a lot of yards against the Ravens even though he was still IN position to break up plays - he just did a poor job making a play on the ball towards the end of the plays. You can't blame scheme for that, that's more about text book fundamentals.

BeatYale
12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
And about jpp and the pass rush, yes thats on pf imo. Last week he used jpp as the joker for the first time in i cant remeber how long, and jpp got a good hit/pressure on flacco.

Ive said this before and ill say it again, if the players are practicing well and implementing the gameplan well, the lack of success gameday could and is imo bc the gameplan is not effective. This is the first time i can recall a coach making a statement like this, like he just threw his guys jnder the bus. Dunno how the players on d are gonna be able to trust/respect him like they did before he said this.

It's too hard to determine, especially by fans. You can't say technical errors made by players are a result of an ineffective gameplan. Big plays are given up by blown coverage and those are usually mental errors by the players.

Edit: Like when the back 7 bite on a PA....is that part of the scheme for them to lack discipline and overreact to a play fake? That's mental errors by players. Not saying PF is a great DC, just saying the players should always share most of the blame because they are the ones on the field.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-28-2012, 04:52 PM
It's too hard to determine, especially by fans. You can't say technical errors made by players are a result of an ineffective gameplan. Big plays are given up by blown coverage and those are usually mental errors by the players.

Edit: Like when the back 7 bite on a PA....is that part of the scheme for them to lack discipline and overreact to a play fake? That's mental errors by players. Not saying PF is a great DC, just saying the players should always share most of the blame because they are the ones on the field.

this does not explain the blatant lack of any defensive adjustments.

Harooni
12-28-2012, 06:43 PM
he is correct and the fact we were so tight on cap space they could get him real first string linebackers

bigblue58
12-28-2012, 08:14 PM
The article didn't say that. Fewell was claiming players were IN position, not out of position. Webster, for example, gave up a lot of yards against the Ravens even though he was still IN position to break up plays - he just did a poor job making a play on the ball towards the end of the plays. You can't blame scheme for that, that's more about text book fundamentals.

Dude...I watched the games and opposing WR's and TE's have been wide open all year, as well as QB's always finding a lane to avoid the rush. I don't care what Fewell claims...I go by what I watched all year with my own eyes!

Giantslb66
12-28-2012, 09:27 PM
PF is so smart he has our passrushers dropping back in coverage on some plays

bearbryant
12-28-2012, 10:57 PM
W/O JPP PF doesn't have a job. His system turns ball players into cry babies! History says he's here next year. Maybe we can be last in the league defensively!! Great... F****** great!

YATittle1962
12-28-2012, 11:53 PM
PF is so smart he has our passrushers dropping back in coverage on some plays

do you know what a zone blitz is ?

.....a fire zone possibly?

giantsfan420
12-29-2012, 12:07 AM
i will say this, like months ago i had wondered on here why pf didnt use JPP as the joker role much more often. it makes him a wildcard and harder to double and messes up the OL tremendously when he drops off into coverage. We never saw it. he just lined him over and over at DE. which id get, if jpp was having more success. but it was clear jpp needed some coaching help to give him more looks and different attack points.

then vs Balt, I swear for the first time I saw JPP line up as the MLB at first, walk to the line, then i was stoked bc i realized he was gonna be the joker. hadnt seen it up to that point. and what happens? JPP uses his freak burst and athleticsm and gets clean thru the line up the middle lol which like never happens on a pass play. it was awesome, prob the one good defensive snap lol, if u can rewatch the game, its hard to miss.

and to me, thats as big an indictment as anything. he leveled flacco and forced him into a rushed throw that iirc almost got picked. maybe pf was saving that look for the postseason? thats the only way i could see how a pro nfl coach would make that big a mistake to wait that long to use something that could literally make a defense lethal. JPP as the joker coulda been schemed to make it a nightmare for offenses, and it took to week 16 to see it once

Cloud57
12-29-2012, 12:12 AM
W/O JPP PF doesn't have a job. His system turns ball players into cry babies! History says he's here next year. Maybe we can be last in the league defensively!! Great... F****** great!We're 30th right now

titwio
12-29-2012, 02:15 AM
I have seen a lot of missed arm tackles.....

Exactly. Perry can't tackle the players too. It's funny how when the Giants shut down the 49ers, Packers (twice), Patriots (twice) etc..Fewell is praised and rightfully so but when the Giants implode and have about 20 missed tackles and players are blowing their assignments, then Perry Fewell becomes the incompetent one and should be fired.

Fact is, like the players said, they were mentally drained and it showed on the field. Players gave up...plain and simple.

wado1
12-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Perry can't cover Torey Smith, Perry can't tackle Michael Turner, Perry can't cover Roddy White or Julio Jones.

Rat_bastich
12-29-2012, 05:14 AM
The coaches' job is to put the players in the proper position to make the plays, but the players also have to be able to recognize what play is being called and when they need to alter the call. Most of the times the DC calls a package and a play. The players line up. Middle linebacker or whoever assigned calls out adjustments and assignments and then once the offense snaps the players have to adjust on the fly.

I think he has done what he could with the talent that ahs been available to him, I think the teams the Giants play/ed are well aware of how to beat their once vaunted pass rush. If the rush breaks down then everything else goes too. I also think that there was alot of undisciplined play. Besides the lack of textbook tackling, players were freelancing from the beginning and not covering who they were supposed to. How many times did someone like Webster get beat over the top and look dumbfounded when one of our safeties was rolled over to a different location or hovering over the line of scrimmage?

While I will agree that adjustments don't seem to be made very quickly, I am wondering how often the players are involved in that aspect. When you watch the defense sometimes it looks like everyone is doing their own thing.

stormblue
12-29-2012, 06:44 AM

2) He needs one of his players to make "the big play".

Fewell is a poor defensive coordinator who caught a bit of fire late last season from some over achieving players. His body of work doesn't merit retention however.

Robin Hood ...you have split the arrow.