PDA

View Full Version : Well, we can't get sean payton now...

Toadofsteel
12-28-2012, 11:26 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000118326/article/sean-payton-saints-reach-fiveyear-contract-extension

Maybe the one guy that could have ousted this regime for good...

Cloud57
12-28-2012, 11:27 PM
don't need him

Toadofsteel
12-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Who else would Mara hire over TC?

RoanokeFan
12-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Who else would Mara hire over TC?

If that's what you're waiting for, you may have to cheer on the Saints. John Mara is not going to replace Tom Coughlin

fletch842
12-29-2012, 09:26 AM
He was never coming here, even if he didn't rework the contract with the Saints. Word had him perhaps heading back to Dallas. Personally, I'm glad they agreed. Would have looked really sleazy if he signed somewhere else for a gazillion $$

Red Dog
12-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Giants won't hire someone with a black mark especially as odious as the "Bounty" program. Hiring hm anywhere will just prolong th eisue every time a game he coaches comes on TV, Giants don't need that, but the Saints will have it hanging overthem by the guys in the booth on every pre-game telecast

RoanokeFan
12-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Giants won't hire someone with a black mark especially as odious as the "Bounty" program. Hiring hm anywhere will just prolong th eisue every time a game he coaches comes on TV, Giants don't need that, but the Saints will have it hanging overthem by the guys in the booth on every pre-game telecast

That's about right.

Toadofsteel
12-29-2012, 09:51 AM
It's not that I want TC gone necessarily... it's that he won't fire Killdrive. And if he's too stubborn to let that excuse of a coordinator go, then it's either get rid of TC or suffer KG for YET ANOTHER SEASON...

RoanokeFan
12-29-2012, 09:56 AM
It's not that I want TC gone necessarily... it's that he won't fire Killdrive. And if he's too stubborn to let that excuse of a coordinator go, then it's either get rid of TC or suffer KG for YET ANOTHER SEASON...

They have fired three coordinators since 2006. Lewis, Huffnagle, and Sheridan. TC doesn't operate in a vacuum. If they go through their year end player/coach evaluations and the consensus is that a coordinator or coach has to go, it will happen.

Toadofsteel
12-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Those were all DCs. I'm still fine with PF, he's had to work with guys like Tuck and Osi that quit before the season started, players that regressed heavily like Webster, and a crapton of injuries. PF may not be the best one in the business, but he's no Sheridan...

On the other hand, Killdrive gets a free pass through all of that. Three shotgun draws in a row is inexcusable. And it's not even the shotgun draw that bothers me, it's the fact that he would call the same exact play three times in a row. "Ask Madden" would give us better playcalling than what Killdrive has done over the past few years.

Is there any particular reason as to why Eli wants to keep a sub-par coordinator around (as is reported that it's Eli who doesn't want Killdrive fired)? Is it so that he can blame him when things go wrong or something?

RoanokeFan
12-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Those were all DCs. I'm still fine with PF, he's had to work with guys like Tuck and Osi that quit before the season started, players that regressed heavily like Webster, and a crapton of injuries. PF may not be the best one in the business, but he's no Sheridan...

On the other hand, Killdrive gets a free pass through all of that. Three shotgun draws in a row is inexcusable. And it's not even the shotgun draw that bothers me, it's the fact that he would call the same exact play three times in a row. "Ask Madden" would give us better playcalling than what Killdrive has done over the past few years.

Is there any particular reason as to why Eli wants to keep a sub-par coordinator around (as is reported that it's Eli who doesn't want Killdrive fired)? Is it so that he can blame him when things go wrong or something?

IF Eli has a say, AND Eli likes Gilbride (comfort level) they will be here together until Eli leaves.

Flip Empty
12-29-2012, 10:18 AM
IF Eli has a say, AND Eli likes Gilbride (comfort level) they will be here together until Eli leaves.
Philip Rivers campaigned for Norv last year. I wonder how similar a situation this is.

Ruttiger711
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM

I'd be fine with the opposite. PF or at the very least, the bend (and) break mentality approach has to go. I think most of the offesnsive woes are due to the line and its decline since 2008, they played patchwork when O'hara and Seubert were out and the new unit never solidifed.

Flip Empty
12-29-2012, 10:22 AM
I'd be fine with the opposite. PF or at the very least, the bend (and) break mentality approach has to go. I think most of the offesnsive woes are due to the line and its decline since 2008, they played patchwork when O'hara and Seubert were out and the new unit never solidifed.
How is that different to the decline of the D-line and the patchwork secondary?

RoanokeFan
12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Philip Rivers campaigned for Norv last year. I wonder how similar a situation this is.

The organization (John Mara) believes in continuity. They prefer to promote from within when there is a vacancy. If Marc Ross leaves it will be interesting to see who they replace him with. I don't know it they will get rid of any coaches/coordinators, but if they do it will be after a lot of thought was put into it, as it should be. If they do, they will know who's available and who they think fits in with the philosophy.

Kez Simpson
12-29-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm not a Gilbride apologist, but don't you believe the offensive struggles has a lot to do with poor O-line play, Nicks being injured, Bradshaw being injured, Bennett nicked up, and Eli having a off year?

Kez Simpson
12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Actually, if you look at Eli picks this year, how many were bone-head decisions? How many were momentum changing picks, game changing turnovers? Is that Gibride's fault as well? People keep talking crap about the shotgun draw or delay, but what other play can you run from that formation?

This offense is amazing when its on, but as soon as players don't execute it goes to crap, and then we are playing from behind, and then are pathetic O-line gets exposed when Eli has to drop back 80% of the time.

SweetZombieJesus
12-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Those were all DCs.

Huffnagel was the OC.

ShakeandBake
12-29-2012, 12:27 PM

We need to actually draft/sign players in the secondary that can stay healthy so PF has more wiggle room in his play calling. People can't fault the guy for playing soft defenses when the secondary is completely decimated. The poor play of the defense falls mainly on the shoulders of our D-line who are supposedly the strongest unit on the team(at least until this season).

Ruttiger711
12-29-2012, 04:09 PM
How is that different to the decline of the D-line and the patchwork secondary?

You've got 2 #1 picks in JPP and Prince - I wouldnt call that patchwork in the slightest compared to what the Giants have tried to do for the Oline.

Flip Empty
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
You've got 2 #1 picks in JPP and Prince - I wouldnt call that patchwork in the slightest compared to what the Giants have tried to do for the Oline.
I mean the secondary was patchwork because it was never at 100%. KP was shuffled in and out, as were Prince and Hosley. JPP is one guy, the others regressed.