PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin Padding stats -this is what i was afraid of

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Iv commented many times about leaving starters in in blow out whether we win or lose and bulk up stats so that the end of a losing season it looks good on paper and nothing changes the next season.

yeah im glad we beat the egals at least , but this thing bothers me.

Ladder27
12-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Iv commented many times about leaving starters in in blow out whether we win or lose and bulk up stats so that the end of a losing season it looks good on paper and nothing changes the next season.

One problem with that..... The Fans wont let them forget it. Stats mean nothing if your sitting at home during the playoffs.

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 04:37 PM
You don't think they take it into consideration? Do you really think that's coughlin's motive too?

KillaRich
12-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Its not like he let Eli pull a breese and throw an extra 2 td's in the last 3 minutes...... he pulled him.. what stats did he pad besides the margin of victory

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
One problem with that..... The Fans wont let them forget it. Stats mean nothing if your sitting at home during the playoffs.

well really if you look around the messsage board it does in a way pacify fans. they will say we beat so and so by this much ,and eli had this many td's on the year and so on.

BigBlue1971
12-30-2012, 04:41 PM
its necessary to pad stats to keep fans interested!

you could also say some are playing for jobs.

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Its not like he let Eli pull a breese and throw an extra 2 td's in the last 3 minutes...... he pulled him.. what stats did he pad besides the margin of victory

im not talking about this one game, i was saying he does it all the time, like down 3 scores and 2 min left and eli will drive for a garbage td. and yes i do think the FO looks at scores and how close we win or lose.

G-MENBK
12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
well really if you look around the messsage board it does in a way pacify fans. they will say we beat so and so and eli had this many td's on the year and so on.

No, definitely not. No one is forgetting being 2 games ahead in the division and squandering it all due to yet another second half swoon.

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 04:43 PM
... And I always thought the knock on Coughlin and crew was they didn't know how to keep their foot on the gas and finish opponents.Historically the Giants don't blow out anyone either, definitely not enough where you can derive any tendencies on the rare occasion it does happen.

Ladder27
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Well I could only careless as a fan about only one stat thats win and loses. Anything else is meaningless. If stats are what i wanted from my team i would be a cowboys fan.

jgrangers11
12-30-2012, 04:44 PM
What do you think has changed in the past 4 hours? Unless you thought there would be some major overhaul of the coaching staff I don't know what you think this game changed.

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
No, definitely not. No one is forgetting being 2 games ahead in the division and squandering it all due to yet another second half swoon. i beg to differ the calmness of the message board tells the tale. the avg fan can be pacified quite easily. but bottom line was our season was over last week

Rudyy
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
im not talking about this one game, i was saying he does it all the time, like down 3 scores and 2 min left and eli will drive for a garbage td. and yes i do think the FO looks at scores and how close we win or lose.Wait, hold on...

There was a thread and people were saying how Eli should slide to get the first down to show "heart" but now it would be a problem that he scores a touchdown down 3 scores? Wouldn't that be showing heart?

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Just get to the point already that you want to say Eli only had about 10 "meaningful" TDs all year.

G-Men Surg.
12-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Padding stats !?!?!?! Pacifying fans ?!? I'm sorry Harroni but this thread is very soft in so many ways .

jgrangers11
... And I always thought the knock on Coughlin and crew was they didn't know how to keep their foot on the gas and finish opponents.Historically the Giants don't blow out anyone either, definitely not enough where you can derive any tendencies on the rare occasion it does happen.

Of our 9 wins this year, I'd say that 6 of them could be defined as blowouts. The only truly close wins we had were the Bucs, Skins and Cowboys.

Harooni
Wait, hold on...

There was a thread and people were saying how Eli should slide to get the first down to show "heart" but now it would be a problem that he scores a touchdown down 3 scores? Wouldn't that be showing heart? its about TC not eli

G-MENBK
12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
i beg to differ the calmness of the message board tells the tell. the avg fan can be pacified quite easily. but bottom line was our season was over last week

It isn't as bad because everyone was going ballistic last week. Even with the win, you still have threads popping up asking who should be let go, what the Giants should fix, and what I said earlier: another second half collapse.

moosedrool
12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
No problem with it here. Remember that huge comeback by the Eagles a few years ago?

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Padding stats !?!?!?! Pacifying fans ?!? I'm sorry Harroni but this thread is very soft in so many ways . lol TC got you too huh. well i guess im in the minority I am not easily fooled into thinking today was meaningful because we were mathematically alive and had the chance of winning the lotto so to speak.

Rudyy
12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
its about TC not eliDidn't he put in car with 3 minutes left to go?

and maybe he was scared about a Miracle in the Meadowlands III haha.

Parademon
12-30-2012, 04:50 PM

I concur! Maybe if he had not let the foot off the gas in 2010 when we had an 18 point lead with 8 min left vs Philly, we would have won the NFCE that yr!

Stinks that we didn't make the playoffs, but they brought that upon themselves with their pathetic performances the past 2 weeks. But I for one, enjoyed seeing us destroy the damn Eagles & pay em back for yrs of frustrating losses including 2 in the playoffs. Over on the Boys boards they are laughing it up that we got eliminated! Hopefully they will be crying after tonight's game so they can be watching the playoffs at home along with us.

Redeyejedi
12-30-2012, 04:51 PM
im not talking about this one game, i was saying he does it all the time, like down 3 scores and 2 min left and eli will drive for a garbage td. and yes i do think the FO looks at scores and how close we win or lose.After losing to the Eagles and blowing the Steelers game are u going to complain about scoring extra points

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:52 PM
TC is a good coach and apparently this whole scheme works at duping fans around here. but not me , I didnt take the bait!!!! we were out last week and those other games we got killed and got some garbage points i remember!!!

GFiP
12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
It you watched the game in 2010, why would you sit on ANY lead against the eagles?

Harooni
12-30-2012, 04:56 PM
you all are focusing on this one game, but look at the other games we got blown out and TC added points and made the games seen closer

Rudyy
12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
you all are focusing on this one game, but look at the other games we got blown out and TC added points and made the games seen closerWould you want us to just quit in those situations? Come on Skip.

DVision
12-30-2012, 04:58 PM
What are they supposed to do? Quit playing? This is a really stupid point!

G-MENBK
12-30-2012, 05:00 PM
you all are focusing on this one game, but look at the other games we got blown out and TC added points and made the games seen closer

Yeah, like that goose egg in Atlanta, and a frugal TD in Baltimore, and the offense coughing up the ball in Cincy. We sure were the dominant force this year.

GFiP
12-30-2012, 05:00 PM
The giants should never get conservative again in these situations. Doing so cost them the division in 2010..

Parademon
12-30-2012, 05:04 PM

We got blown out 3 times this yr, Cincy, Atl & Balt. other 4 losses were by a combined 14 points. Those are the ones that bother me more cuz they were all very winnable games that we blew in some form or another.

So according to you, G-men are supposed to stop trying to score when they are getting blown out cuz it's just 'padding' the stats? So if they are lsoing 28-0 at halftime, which IMO, would be considered a blowout, they should stop trying to score? Or should they just go 3 & out when the game is out of hand & not bother scoring cuz that's just "padding" the stats according to you.

Parademon
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
The giants should never get conservative again in these situations. Doing so cost them the division in 2010..

Agreed! I hate NE with a passion, but BB & Brady are ruthless when they have an opponent down, they continue to step on their throat & never let off! Can't remember the last time NE blew a game they led by 17+ or more.

Harooni
12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
ok fine , im crazy you all have your inflated stat party while watching the other teams in the playoffs!!!!!!

DarkSaint
12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
The giants had the ball once in the 3rd quarter and basically were just trying to run out the clock. On Eli's 5th TD pass, I think they ran the ball every play but the pass to Hynoski. They scored 7 points in the second half, I don't think that is padding stats.

Parademon
12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
ok fine , im crazy you all have your inflated stat party while watching the other teams in the playoffs!!!!!!

C'mon Harooni, answer my question. Should an NFL team stop trying to score just cuz they are getting blown out? IMO, padding the stats would be if for example, Brees needs 1 TD to pass for 50 for the season & they are losiing 45-3 & have the final possesion & he throws 10 straight times just to get that 50th TD pass.

That IMO, is padding stats.

Sarcasman
12-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Just get to the point already that you want to say Eli only had about 10 "meaningful" TDs all year.

I don't think he's saying that at all.

I think he's saying that the team benefits from padded stats by leaving the starters in during blowouts. And those padded stats then serve to create the illusion that the team is statistically better than it actually is.

And it goes to both sides of the ball. TC does it on defense too. A game like this probably helped the defensive stats significantly.

It makes the whole team appear better, not just the offense. It's huge for the D as well.

Harooni
12-30-2012, 05:22 PM
We got blown out 3 times this yr, Cincy, Atl & Balt. other 4 losses were by a combined 14 points. Those are the ones that bother me more cuz they were all very winnable games that we blew in some form or another.

So according to you, G-men are supposed to stop trying to score when they are getting blown out cuz it's just 'padding' the stats? So if they are lsoing 28-0 at halftime, which IMO, would be considered a blowout, they should stop trying to score? Or should they just go 3 & out when the game is out of hand & not bother scoring cuz that's just "padding" the stats according to you.

you are supposed to take your starters out with 4min left and down more than 3 scores. also you are adding the scores but again failing to see those other games we were down much more till the end of the fourth.

DVision
12-30-2012, 05:26 PM
you are supposed to take your starters out with 4min left and down more than 3 scores. also you are adding the scores but again failing to see those other games we were down much more till the end of the fourth.

Not if things aren't clicking and your trying to find something to build off of!

GMENAGAIN
12-30-2012, 05:28 PM

9-7 is a losing season?

Harooni
12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't think he's saying that at all.

I think he's saying that the team benefits from padded stats by leaving the starters in during blowouts. And those padded stats then serve to create the illusion that the team is statistically better than it actually is.

And it goes to both sides of the ball. TC does it on defense too. A game like this probably helped the defensive stats significantly.

It makes the whole team appear better, not just the offense. It's huge for the D as well.

thank you, bingo!!! only a select few of us can acctually get it and not be lulled into a false sense of security

Parademon
12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Sorry, don't agree. Seen too many games in my life where the game seemed to be over & the other team was up by 17-20-25 points & ended up on the losing end of it! I like the Patriots approach of just continuing to lay it on till the other team signals surrender by putting in their backups, as long as they have their starters in, you keep yours in as well.

See
Bills-Oilers playoff game in 91 or 92?
Giants-SF WC game in 02
Giants-Vikings WC game in 98?
Giants-Eagles week 10 2010

Gawd, the Giants have choked away many a big lead in the past few yrs. Due to not keeping the foot on the throat & keep scoring.

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
thank you, bingo!!! only a select few of us can acctually get it and not be lulled into a false sense of securitySo your assumption is that the coaches and ownership don't see what's "clearly" happening like you do because of these padded stats?

krankeybluechick
12-30-2012, 05:38 PM
i beg to differ the calmness of the message board tells the tale. the avg fan can be pacified quite easily. but bottom line was our season was over last week

I don't believe anyone is pacified after this win. But I do believe that most have accepted the fact that we will not be in the playoffs and not any amount of B*tching and moaning about this player or that player is going to change it.

Moke
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM

I feel the same way. I hate when this happens because it leaves a good taste for the management/coaching staff.

Harooni
12-30-2012, 05:40 PM
So your assumption is that the coaches and ownership don't see what's "clearly" happening like you do because of these padded stats?
i do think they look at stats as a whole at the end of the season and then think oh well these games where close and eli had this many td's in gilbrides offense, and watch no changes .

Harooni
12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't believe anyone is pacified after this win. But I do believe that most have accepted the fact that we will not be in the playoffs and not any amount of B*tching and moaning about this player or that player is going to change it. possibly ,however i see way to much oh the lions could have done this and that, its as if fans got fooled into thinking we did our part.

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
i do think they look at stats as a whole at the end of the season and then think oh well these games where close and eli had this many td's in gilbrides offense, and watch no changes .

Well as i mentioned before, it was pretty easy to see where you were headed with this thread. What kind of changes are you hoping for that you are now afraid wont happen?

G-MENBK
12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
possibly ,however i see way to much oh the lions could have this and that, its as if fans got fooled into thinking we did are part.

I guess you're just wincing your eyes at the threads asking for people to be removed.

DVision
12-30-2012, 05:45 PM
possibly ,however i see way to much oh the lions could have this and that, its as if fans got fooled into thinking we did are part.

How do you know what other fans are thinking? Who are you Miss Cleo?

Harooni
12-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Well as i mentioned before, it was pretty easy to see where you were headed with this thread. What kind of changes are you hoping for that you are now afraid wont happen? way to pick part of the sentence, its about gilbrides offense

DVision
12-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Yeah I'm sure they just throw the film in the garbage and check out the stats on NFL.com. Smh

krankeybluechick
12-30-2012, 05:49 PM

I think even the average fan knows that they did not do their part especially after the 2 previous games. They were just awful and I mean that by the whole team not just one player. We totally sucked as a team. They were all in!!

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
way to pick part of the sentence, its about gilbrides offense

you know, tendencies...

giantsforce
12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
One problem with that..... The Fans wont let them forget it. Stats mean nothing if your sitting at home during the playoffs.No problem with that. Since when does Coughlin or the Giants organization give a rat's *** about the fans?

TheAnalyst
12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm staying with my opinion no matter what, gilbride must be let go.

In FG range down 2 in the final seconds, and we throw to the endzone. Pass interference on the we. Kicker misses kick by a yard short.

giantsforce
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah I'm sure they just throw the film in the garbage and check out the stats on NFL.com. SmhI am not sure that Coughlin ever watches film on opposing teams.

giantsforce
12-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm staying with my opinion no matter what, gilbride must be let go.As long as Coughlin is here, Killdrive will stay. No ifs and buts about it. Hence, another 2nd collapse is inevitable as this one.

Harooni
12-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah I'm sure they just throw the film in the garbage and check out the stats on NFL.com. Smh front office guys dont look at film , they look at numbers stats and margins of victory and losses , coaches and players watch film.

Ruttiger711
12-30-2012, 06:12 PM
front office guys dont look at film , they look at numbers stats and margins of victory and losses , coaches and players watch film.They don't watch games either?So again, what doesn't change that could have if not for all these "padded" stats?

DVision
12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
front office guys dont look at film , they look at numbers stats and margins of victory and losses , coaches and players watch film.

You honestly think the Front Office and coaches don't discuss a season review in which each individual player is evaluated on film? If so you really don't know much!

Harooni
12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
my sort of thinking and expertise in conspiracy theories is far too advanced for some here. no i dont want or expect TC to be fired , I just find it interesting how the human fans can be fooled into thinking positively with a negative result towards our goal.

alentown pa
12-30-2012, 07:20 PM

i hear ya, but if we see whats what I'm sure TC and the coaches do...Bradshaw rushed for 1,000 big deal...overall this was a lost season...I hope we go corner in the 1st round, and address OL in 2nd or 3rd.

ibbill
12-30-2012, 07:39 PM
well really if you look around the messsage board it does in a way pacify fans. they will say we beat so and so by this much ,and eli had this many td's on the year and so on.

As was mentioned by P. Simms on the other tv station the NYG did not know if they should run or pass to pick up 10 yds. Philly laid down they never even showed up.

G-Men Surg.
12-30-2012, 08:18 PM
lol TC got you too huh. well i guess im in the minority I am not easily fooled into thinking today was meaningful because we were mathematically alive and had the chance of winning the lotto so to speak.
I get you Harooni and agree that this season was a failure but your argument still soft ( padding stats, lol ) and you know it .

ny06
12-30-2012, 08:28 PM
The Giants could have won 100-0 and it still wouldn't be enough. **** the Eagles...

KidA
12-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I feel the need to add my two cents to this thread, as I often do when the topic of "running up the score" is being discussed:

This is professional football at the highest level. It is not the winning team's job to make the losing team look decent. If you respect your opponent and the game itself, then you should go out there and give it your all whether you're blowing out the other team or losing big.

Furthermore, NFL teams are sometimes capable of scoring four or five times in a mere quarter, and that makes having a point differential of 21 or 28 points less than insurmountable. We saw this just a few seasons ago in our game against the Eagles. We had a big lead with less than a quarter to go and we took our foot off the gas. That game kept us out of the playoffs. That should be a lesson that we Giants fans never forget.