PDA

View Full Version : Important Draft Day Facts

BlueOldSchool
12-30-2012, 08:47 PM
What makes teams great are the picks after the first round… While it's important to get the best round 1 and 2 players that immediately impact your system, what happens in rounds 3 and 4 (especially) can make a huge difference.

Check out some these surprising past pics of the Giants 1986 Super Bowl Championship Team

Karl Nelson: Round: 3 / Pick: 70
Gary Reasons: Round: 4 / Pick: 105
Mark Bavaro: Round: 4 / Pick: 100
Harry Carson: Round: 4 / Pick: 105
Perry Williams: Round: 7 / Pick: 178
Brad Benson: Round: 8 / Pick: 219
Jim Burt: Undrafted
George Martin: Round: 11 / Pick: 262

By the way… let's remember… one more recent Giant
Henry Hynoski: Undrafted

And a guy many of you know from another team:
Tom Brady Round: 6 / Pick: 199

Point: They're out there… and they're not always in round 1 or 2 either.

Redeyejedi
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
What makes teams great are the picks after the first round… While it's important to get the best round 1 and 2 players that immediately impact your system, what happens in rounds 3 and 4 (especially) can make a huge difference.

Check out some these surprising past pics of the Giants 1986 Super Bowl Championship Team

Karl Nelson: Round: 3 / Pick: 70
Gary Reasons: Round: 4 / Pick: 105
Mark Bavaro: Round: 4 / Pick: 100
Harry Carson: Round: 4 / Pick: 105
Perry Williams: Round: 7 / Pick: 178
Brad Benson: Round: 8 / Pick: 219
Jim Burt: Undrafted
George Martin: Round: 11 / Pick: 262

By the way… let's remember… one more recent Giant
Henry Hynoski: Undrafted

And a guy many of you know from another team:
Tom Brady Round: 6 / Pick: 199

Point: They're out there… and they're not always in round 1 or 2 either.

Hynoski? How about Victor Cruz a slightly better example.

Buddy333
12-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Reese has done a nice job of finding gems that fly under the radar.

Cloud57
12-30-2012, 08:50 PM
it's a good thing that the Giants knows how to identify talent. some bad teams always get high draft picks and they're still bad.

Buddy333
12-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Hynoski? How about Victor Cruz a slightly better example.Will Hill is going to be one of those great pick ups.

giantsforce
12-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Reese has done a nice job of finding gems that fly under the radar.On the other hand, this year he drafted an "NFL Not ready" player in the first round!

Buddy333
12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
On the other hand, this year he drafted an "NFL Not ready" player in the first round!Yeah and the point would be?

Toadofsteel
12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Maybe we should just try to trade out of the first and second rounds each year and stockpile a huge number of round 3+ picks. Reese seems to be better at the late rounds than the early ones...

Hey, Belicheck has been doing that for a long time, and it works out for him...

giantsforce
12-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah and the point would be?The point is that no matter what Reese drafts, it is up to the coaching staff to find ways of using them other than riding the pine or polishing the bench. Got it?

Buddy333
12-30-2012, 08:59 PM
The point is that no matter what Reese drafts, it is up to the coaching staff to find ways of using them other than riding the pine or polishing the bench. Got it?So is his career over after one season?

BigBlueAllDay
12-30-2012, 09:06 PM
As much as the examples can be provided, there's probably 3x more failures to go with that. You simply cannot continuously rely just on late draft picks and undrafted pick-ups every season to build a good team. That's absurd. Yes, there will be late surprise gems like Victor Cruz, Bradshaw, etc, but you also need your top draft picks to contribute or at least be given some decent chances over playing injured starters into the ground and making no impact. That was one of the problems this season.

BlueOldSchool
12-30-2012, 09:34 PM
As much as the examples can be provided, there's probably 3x more failures to go with that. You simply cannot continuously rely just on late draft picks and undrafted pick-ups every season to build a good team. That's absurd. Yes, there will be late surprise gems like Victor Cruz, Bradshaw, etc, but you also need your top draft picks to contribute or at least be given some decent chances over playing injured starters into the ground and making no impact. That was one of the problems this season.

While this is a good point you make, I wouldn't call the point I made "absurd." Great coaches plug these rounds (3 and 4) into their systems and make them important parts of that system. This is what made the NJ Devils in hockey so good. They found the right players to fit into that system and it worked... many from later rounds that keep your salaries in check against a solid talent pool.

The NY Giants have been good at identifying those players who can make a difference over a period of years and coaching the system into them. The Belichik's, Coughlin's, Parcells, and Payton's are more recent and Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry are former Giants Offensive and Defensive Coordinators of the past who saw that system and were successful, as well.

Reese seems to have somewhat of a handle on that.

I stated in my thread that first and second rounders are critical for immediate impact (and longterm obviously, as well). But if you look at the percentages, the 3rd/4th rounders really show the value of your talent scouts.

The Giants have done relatively well over the years, I'd say... in more recent history.

Just my opinion...

BlueOldSchool
12-30-2012, 09:36 PM
Hynoski? How about Victor Cruz a slightly better example.

Cruz is a nice example... absolutely... I'm sure you guys can find even more examples of my point.

BigBlueAllDay
12-30-2012, 09:42 PM
I do agree that the performance of mid-to-late draft picks shows the true value of the team's scouting crew. That's where the job gets harder. I'm sure the Redskins scouts hardly had to break a sweat on RG3.

BlueOldSchool
12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
I do agree that the performance of mid-to-late draft picks shows the true value of the team's scouting crew. That's where the job gets harder. I'm sure the Redskins scouts hardly had to break a sweat on RG3.

You've got that right, my friend! HOW TRUE!

GMAN2K9
12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Will Hill is going to be one of those great pick ups.

I too like what I've seen from Will Hill on defense (esp today's massive hit on 4th down) and special teams. He's always had the talent, seems like he's matured up and striving to seize this opportunity