PDA

View Full Version : Nicks is good, but our offensive line is more important.

Marvelousmik
12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Besides the reverse to jennigan, i didnt see Kg do much from what he usually does. wilson caught a td and bradshaw made a big catch on the same route, but is that play calling or eli deciding to throw to the running back? ive seen our running backs run that route many times.

In my opinion the difference between why we played good on offense this week and why we played bad last week had to mostly do with the offensive line. Eli had a lot of time to throw and running lanes were wide open today. Huge difference from last week.

Instead of worrying so much about adding or losing weapons on offense, i say just build A good Line around ELi and we will be fine. A good quarter back can bring out the talent it receivers and make them look good. a good offensive line will make any running back look good. A good offensive line and quarterback should = a good offense.

for the up coming draft id like to see offensive linemen and linebackers. we are badly in need of some linebackers. maybe 1 defensive end. But it think our number 1 priority is to solidify the offensive line and build our offense around it.

What are your thoughts?

Drez
12-30-2012, 09:40 PM
It's amazing how different a game looks when the OL opens holes for the backs (and the backs hit them) and is able to pass protect long enough to allow Eli to go through his progressions. Also helps when the WRs are able to uncover like they did today.

Admittedly, I didn't watch the Falcons game (just couldn't bring myself to watch the tape, listening to it on the radio was bad enough), but the Baltimore game was all about the execution, or lack thereof, by the OL. They didn't open any holes for the backs (not that the defense allowed us to establish a running game) and allowed Eli to be absolutely harassed all day. Kind of hard to throw the ball from your back.

slipknottin
12-30-2012, 09:41 PM
30th ranked defense with no pass rush at all most of the season.

Offense isnt even a concern for me. They can find guys like locklear in FA for cheap.

CDN_G-FAN
12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
+1

during our 1st SB, we clearly had the best d-line in the NFL and one of the best o lines in the NFL. and it was like that for a few years after that win as well.

we didn't have the best d line for most of last year but we did when it counted. and we won in spite of our o line that couldn't run block to save its life.

we have, at best, average lines on both sides of the ball now. our 1st SB win a totally fresh and green Tuck was our 3rd DE, now he's the injured and aged starter, Osi's career is winding down clearly. and we've broke the bank on the interior of the line and got average play at best.

look no further than that the two lines for why things aren't as good anymore

moosedrool
12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
In my opinion the difference between why we played good on offense this week and why we played bad last week had to mostly do with the offensive line.

The difference was we were playing at home against an awful defense that already mailed it in.

Marvelousmik
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM

Offense isnt even a concern for me. They can find guys like locklear in FA for cheap.

I am beginning to truly see the importance of the trenches. Our defensive line didnt get a lot of sacks today but they were able to get pressure on vick. it could be due to blitzes but when we are able to rush the passer our defense plays great and when our o line plays good our offense looks dominant. I say just build both lines. I'd like to still see us pick up at least 1 linebacker nonetheless. any good free agents coming out?

bigbluetribe
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I agree, you win and lose because of your lines. Randle has shown he has tremendous talent. Cruz is a must but nicks is too often injured and I would rather have a strong oline that can open holes for wilson, ab and hopefully brown if he is back. Start hoping for the barden experiment again? Welll perhaps not that far but nicks will demand more than we have to spend.

giantsfan420
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Besides the reverse to jennigan, i didnt see Kg do much from what he usually does. wilson caught a td and bradshaw made a big catch on the same route, but is that play calling or eli deciding to throw to the running back? ive seen our running backs run that route many times.

In my opinion the difference between why we played good on offense this week and why we played bad last week had to mostly do with the offensive line. Eli had a lot of time to throw and running lanes were wide open today. Huge difference from last week.

Instead of worrying so much about adding or losing weapons on offense, i say just build A good Line around ELi and we will be fine. A good quarter back can bring out the talent it receivers and make them look good. a good offensive line will make any running back look good. A good offensive line and quarterback should = a good offense.

for the up coming draft id like to see offensive linemen and linebackers. we are badly in need of some linebackers. maybe 1 defensive end. But it think our number 1 priority is to solidify the offensive line and build our offense around it.

What are your thoughts?agreed. with elis talent, it doesnt matter the offensive system as long as he is given time. Its why the knock on KG is shared by so many. When the OL isnt doing a good job and giving up tons of pressure, KG doesnt mix it up. When the OL does its job, the results are more often like today.

Build an OL for Eli that rivals the best OL in the NFL and our offense will be much more consistent imo. u agreed with that bitter eagles fan too huh lol

NYG4lifeNYK
12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Gilbride called far more creative plays than he has all year.

He called a wheel route for crying out loud....

Gilly definitely expanded the playbook this game. Sure we've seen Wilson run a route before(Packers game I believe? or N.O.?) but not two in the same game. Especially to that extent... Bradshaw burned the LBer lol

The O-line is the most important aspect of our team outside of Eli, agreed.

gmen0820
12-30-2012, 09:51 PM
I agree that Eli would benefit greatly from an OL that consistently performs at a high level.

giantsfan420
12-30-2012, 09:51 PM

Offense isnt even a concern for me. They can find guys like locklear in FA for cheap.i agree with that for the offense EXCEPT the ol. it has been the one thing on offense that can drag everyone else down by their shoddy play. the OL doesnt play well, we KNOW the rb/wr's and qb wont play well. for that reason alone, id make the OL priority number 1.

with skill position players, we've seen eli be successful with group after different group. plax to smith to nicks to cruz etc, toomer to hixon to MM to Nicks etc...Wilson looks as talented a RB as there is in the game right now...the OL, the one remaining unit we have to fix on OFFENSE, defense is a whole nother story and is prb the main culprit to this lost season

Redeyejedi
12-30-2012, 09:52 PM

Offense isnt even a concern for me. They can find guys like locklear in FA for cheap. The whole problem with this Defense is the pass rush fix that and suddenly everything will fall into place. A solid tackling Downhill MLB that can clean up the A gaps would help 2

Drez
12-30-2012, 09:54 PM
I agree that Eli would benefit greatly from an OL that consistently performs at a high level. Hell, he'd benefit greatly from an offensive line that consistently performs at an average level, lol.

gmen0820
12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Hell, he'd benefit greatly from an offensive line that consistently performs at an average level, lol.Yeah, probably. The discrepancy between average and superb would be put on the skill position players' shoulders. I think they're plenty qualified to pick up the slack in that regard.

slipknottin
12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
If we are worried about anything with the OL its that Beatty is now a free agent.

Quality LTs dont come cheap. The giants are already over the salary cap for next year.

Marvelousmik
12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
+1

during our 1st SB, we clearly had the best d-line in the NFL and one of the best o lines in the NFL. and it was like that for a few years after that win as well.

we didn't have the best d line for most of last year but we did when it counted. and we won in spite of our o line that couldn't run block to save its life.

a few games before the playoffs, and in the playoffs i remember the online starting play really good.

Marvelousmik
12-30-2012, 09:59 PM
If we are worried about anything with the OL its that Beatty is now a free agent.

Quality LTs dont come cheap. The giants are already over the salary cap for next year.

locklear is coming off of a torn acl and DD is likely gone. we might need to start thinking of replacement for snee in the near future as well. im pretty sure we will draft a LT and RT. or at least sign one in free agency

Drez
12-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Yeah, probably. The discrepancy between average and superb would be put on the skill position players' shoulders. I think they're plenty qualified to pick up the slack in that regard. Exactly. Granted, a top notch line would be disgusting, but we'd look superb offensively with an average line.

slipknottin
12-30-2012, 10:06 PM
locklear is coming off of a torn acl and DD is likely gone. we might need to start thinking of replacement for snee in the near future as well. im pretty sure we will draft a LT and RT. or at least sign one in free agency

Not going to find a LT and a RT in the draft, along with all the other positions they need.

Far better off finding a way to resign Beatty, and finding a cheap RT in FA. Or praying Brewer finally develops.

Drez
12-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, we have Brewer waiting in the wings along with Mosely and/or McCants.

Marvelousmik
12-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Well, we have Brewer waiting in the wings along with Mosely and/or McCants.

i still remember how bad mccants looked during the preseason. correct me if im wrong but didn't he looked so bad we cut him and signed him to the practice squad? you know you've done something wrong if you're a draft pick from the giants and you get cut before the season. we usually treat our draft picks like royalty for the first few years.

Drez
12-30-2012, 10:17 PM
i still remember how bad mccants looked during the preseason. correct me if im wrong but didn't he looked so bad we cut him and signed him to the practice squad? you know you've done something wrong if you're a draft pick from the giants and you get cut before the season. we usually treat our draft picks like royalty for the first few years.
I threw McCants in there mostly as a joke, but hey, you never know. He was a 6th rounder; it wasn't like he was assured of keeping his roster spot. Maybe a year or two on the PS will do him well.