PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson as a slot receiver

coursefan
12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I think this could be a huge advantage for us in our play calling. think about it with his speed he can probably outrun some of the DBs around the league. it would be a match-up nightmare for most of the defenses around the league. maybe it is something giants can work on during the off season along with his ability to block.

gmen0820
12-30-2012, 09:40 PM
This post makes no sense.

ny06
12-30-2012, 09:42 PM
We already have a great slot receiver (Cruz)
Lets stick Wilson at his original position, and give him 18-25 carries a game. And would like to see him used more in the passing game.

BeatYale
12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
I emailed your idea to Coughlin. I'll let you know what he thinks about it.

gmen0820
12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Because Wilson is fast, he's a mismatch in the slot? Is that the same logic as Barden is tall, he's a great redzone threat?

BigBlueAllDay
We went from direct snap failures to the RB to sending them out to aid the passing game every now and then (not necessarily slot of course). That's an improvement.

TheEnigma
David Wilson as the Giants Denard Robinson LOLOLOLOLOL

Rudyy
12-30-2012, 09:47 PM
Cruz isnt good enough for you?

coursefan
12-30-2012, 09:48 PM
I still think the scenario can be a threat. cant we have 2 slot receivers, one on each side? or what if we line up cruz as a WR or maybe he is out of the game for a play or two. Kind of like we used to use Shockey as a slot receiver to create match up problems. if they bring in a DB to cover then leave him lined up as a RB or move him up the line if they leave in their base package. maybe not every down but as a variation.

Flip Empty
12-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Real life doesn't work like Madden

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
typical for this message board,,rather than poke fun why don't you all enlighten us with why this would not work from time to time? I mean a 5 year old can poke fun,,try injecting something useful,,,you know,,,act like your intelligent at least.

coursefan
12-30-2012, 10:23 PM
True its not MADDEN but a little creativity doesn't hurt either. I mean the whole year was pretty much a plain vanilla offense and if something isnt working maybe we should learn to adapt/change.

GiantRoc
12-30-2012, 10:38 PM
I can see splitting him out now and then. Always good to give a different look. The kid is a good RB. Let's live him there. I would rather he gets sent out, out of the backfield. I'd rather see him matched against a LB. Turned out well today for a TD.

Flip Empty
12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
typical for this message board,,rather than poke fun why don't you all enlighten us with why this would not work from time to time? I mean a 5 year old can poke fun,,try injecting something useful,,,you know,,,act like your intelligent at least.
The Giants have Cruz and Jernigan, they don't need another slot receiver. If you mean having Wilson line up much like CJ Spiller does on occasion, then sure. But the guy is a running back first and foremost, that's what he was brought in to do.

coursefan
12-30-2012, 10:45 PM
exactly! start off by lining him up as a RB and then maybe motion him out to the slot if the defense calls for it, this way you are generally forced to put a LB on him to cover. we really couldn't do that before in the years past with Bradshaw and Jacobs. I think with Wilsons athletic ability he can be troublesome to opposing defenses.

Cloud57
12-30-2012, 10:49 PM
no he's a RB, he should put on some more muscles in the offseason then he'll be even more lethal.

coursefan
12-30-2012, 10:56 PM
oh i totally agree hes a RB FIRST and FOREMOST. Just mixing it up and giving him the versatility to do more, just like you would any true athlete, would give Giants a greater advantage on offense.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
oh i totally agree hes a RB FIRST and FOREMOST. Just mixing it up and giving him the versatility to do more, just like you would any true athlete, would give Giants a greater advantage on offense.

don't waste your breath,,,everyone in here is a coach,,or a GM,,,or a coordinator.

ny06
12-30-2012, 11:04 PM
don't waste your breath,,,everyone in here is a coach,,or a GM,,,or a coordinator.
Since you said everyone that must mean me as well. Last I checked I didn't discredit the idea nor said it was dumb. I for one think this team already has a great slot receiver in Cruz. Would it be a good idea to move Wilson around and utilize his speed and athleticism? Sure, but lets see what he could do with more emphasis on getting more carries and becoming a better all around running back. Blocking, running routes, etc

BParcells777
12-30-2012, 11:05 PM
I posed this earlier in the year and got laughed off the boards "hey man he cannot catch anything!!!" LOL

Flip Empty
12-30-2012, 11:37 PM

Or a whinger who brings nothing constructive to a thread?

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
I still think the scenario can be a threat. cant we have 2 slot receivers, one on each side? or what if we line up cruz as a WR or maybe he is out of the game for a play or two. Kind of like we used to use Shockey as a slot receiver to create match up problems. if they bring in a DB to cover then leave him lined up as a RB or move him up the line if they leave in their base package. maybe not every down but as a variation.

We did that 4 WR flex formation a couple times with Jernigan as the other slot receiver...

That said, I wish Killdrive would have him run more routes out of the backfield. Get us an O-line that doesn't need RB and TE help all the freaking time to block properly...

coursefan
12-31-2012, 02:00 AM
I just believe in exploiting the best of every player we have. In the case with Wilsons youth and speed, he can provide a much needed deep throat on occasion. Even though he first still needs to develop his RB game, my point is just dont ignore this option and incorporate this into the gameplan. We haven't had this much speed as a Giant player for as far as i can remember (def not the last 10 years).

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 02:01 AM
I just believe in exploiting the best of every player we have. In the case with Wilsons youth and speed, he can provide a much needed deep throat on occasion. Even though he first still needs to develop his RB game, my point is just dont ignore this option and incorporate this into the gameplan. We haven't had this much speed as a Giant player for as far as i can remember (def not the last 10 years).

That's why I said routes out of the backfield. I think Killdrive forgot that those are legal for a while or something...

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 02:03 AM
I emailed your idea to Coughlin. I'll let you know what he thinks about it.Coughlin replied to your email and said that Wilson is not NFL ready yet.

FlyingTruck
12-31-2012, 03:55 AM
I emailed your idea to Coughlin. I'll let you know what he thinks about it.I'm rolling on the floor lol. No point in putting him out there since the defense would most likely know what's up. But having him catch more out of the back field? That would be a good idea.

BlueOldSchool
12-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Coughlin replied to your email and said that Wilson is not NFL ready yet.

LOL... I was thinking the same thing reading this thread!

Russell Wilson, RG3, and Andrew Luck weren't NFL-ready either... they did get a chance to do that by playing the whole season and, oh my goodness... they're all in the playoffs! Fancy that!!!

Mercury
12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
I think it's a good idea, but as many have said, as a rare situational thing. I could see the first time he lines up in the slot, the other team calls a time out, because they weren't expecting it. But first and foremost, DW needs to learn how to block and be able to handle those duties.

jakegibbs
12-31-2012, 11:01 AM
He has had a terrible time just picking up his duties as a RB now you want to have him try to learn the SR posistion???? hmmmm.......interesting but not likely.

Moke
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
I think this could be a huge advantage for us in our play calling. think about it with his speed he can probably outrun some of the DBs around the league. it would be a match-up nightmare for most of the defenses around the league. maybe it is something giants can work on during the off season along with his ability to block.

One nice touchdown catch doesn't make him really reliable as a slot receiver, but he could be used as a Darren Sproles more often which would be cool.