PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I am over simplifing but...

appodictic
12-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Wouldn't the way to beat this option just be to go after the QB every time?

I mean when a team runs the option or a play fake your allowed to hit either player right? Because it is a fake, and you do not know who has the ball. I would just go after griffin every time. Let he refs through a roughing flag, if they disagree.

BigBlueAllDay
12-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Except RG3 could sidestep your pass rusher and run to the sidelines for 10+ yards with ease or hand it off to Morris straight up the middle blowing past your pass rush. Not that simple anymore eh? If it was that simple, the Giants couldn't have been struggling that hard for those two games could they?

penguinfarmer
12-30-2012, 09:53 PM
You're completely underestimating just how good Alfred Morris has been. Not taking a single thing away from Bert, but I've been far more impressed with him. He's your classic Shanny uphil runner.

appodictic
12-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Except RG3 could sidestep your pass rusher and run to the sidelines for 10+ yards with ease or hand it off to Morris straight up the middle blowing past your pass rush. Not that simple anymore eh? If it was that simple, the Giants couldn't have been struggling that hard for those two games could they? Well I am watching the cowboys and ware stops and looks at the option, thinks its the running back goes after him and Rg3 goes around, why not just come running full steam at RG but him on his arse once or twice. let morris break a few big ones up the middle. You can probably get a few hits on RG3. Let you middle line backer worry about the running backs.

wrek537emc
12-30-2012, 09:55 PM
how about an all out blitz and have the entire team get a hit on the QB regardless if he has the ball or not.

appodictic
12-30-2012, 09:57 PM
how about an all out blitz and have the entire team get a hit on the QB regardless if he has the ball or not. But if he is faking a run you CAN hit him. that is my point. he is getting too muc hcourtesy if that were Vick he would be getting lit up.

slipknottin
12-30-2012, 10:01 PM
schematically you cant.

The QB option stuff works because there is an extra offensive player to defend.

BigBlueAllDay
12-30-2012, 10:02 PM
The scary part is the Redskins can and will eventually add more talented WRs and TEs to their offense.

BigBlueAllDay
12-30-2012, 10:09 PM
schematically you cant.

The QB option stuff works because there is an extra offensive player to defend.

Yes. The QB's speed, athleticism, running threat, throwing accuracy and power, etc makes it work. That's rave in college football now. Absolutely not trying to make a comparison here, but QB option simply won't work with pure pocket passers like Eli, Peyton, and Brady.

giantsfan420
12-30-2012, 10:13 PM
yes op that is how u stop it. NE did it vs Tebow/Broncos last year as an example.

People are acting like if the isolated DE just goes after RG3, it'll mean disaster for the D. Well, my response, the DE isolated almost ALWAYS is out of position and irrelevant to the play anyways. The option makes him useless, UNLESS, he just b lines it straight to the QB. the way i figure it, u can scheme that to force the action inside, and if i know the runs going inside, i can respond accordingly...id just sent the outside de/lb that they keep isolating with the hand fakes right at the QB. Make them decide if they want to keep risking their QB.

i cant for the life of me figure why teams arent doing this. u know we'll see a team do it in the playoffs and knock them out...its not a penalty. teams are just respecting him way too much

BigBlueAllDay
12-30-2012, 10:20 PM
The QB option doesn't really have flare with Tebow because no one respects his passing game. Every defense will just bring their up safeties to the line and leave the the CBs on one-on-one man coverage every down. RG3, R. Wilson, and even Kaepernick can burn you deep with the football if your defense just plays run. Do you risk penalties, fines, and suspensions by going after these QB hard to knock them off or out of their game??? With the way the NFL is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they make it a rule against making helmet-to-helmet contact on a QB running the ball some years down the line.

GiantRoc
12-30-2012, 10:49 PM
If the QB gets leveled after the pitch, there is going to be a flag. It's just the way the NFL is now.