PDA

View Full Version : Romeo or Lovie?

Kruunch
12-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Romeo Crennel or Lovie Smith as the Giants' new DC?

Romeo is most likely being ousted in KC and Lovie has already been shown the door.

Both have been quality DC's in the past.

Thoughts?

slipknottin
Lovie runs the same defense that Fewell does that everyone here complains about.

Crennel doesnt fit here at all scheme wise.

Tuckit91
Giants need to fire Perry and bring Lovie in as new DC! Just saying

Moke
12-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Lovie. I bet he would do a better job than Fewell.

Moke
12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
There has been 50 threads on Lovie Smith in the past 5 minutes. But yes, I'd love him.

Kruunch
12-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Lovie runs the same defense that Fewell does that everyone here complains about.

Lovie is more aggressive (more blitzes) than PF.

He also seems to get more out of his players generally speaking.

Romeo, while traditionally a 3-4 guy, can run a muddle defense and it might be time to shake up our system a bit?

brad
12-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Lovie Smith is a legitimate defensive mind that would be awesome in NY.

NWKEffectElement
12-31-2012, 12:05 PM
I really don't like Tampa 2 coaches. It wouldn't be that much change from Fewell.

Tuckit91
12-31-2012, 12:13 PM
And no need to fire Perry since his contract is up, Just dont renew!

GIANTSED101
12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I would go with Lovie, Correct me if I'm wrong but the Bears D is usually in the top 10 every season aren't they?

gumby74
12-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I really don't like Tampa 2 coaches. It wouldn't be that much change from Fewell.

It isn't the scheme, but the coach.

slipknottin
12-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Lovie is more aggressive (more blitzes) than PF.

He also seems to get more out of his players generally speaking.

Romeo, while traditionally a 3-4 guy, can run a muddle defense and it might be time to shake up our system a bit?

Lovie when he was a DC was a true tampa 2 guy, no blitzes or very few. This is really the first season the bears arent playing tampa 2 every play.

Romeo only runs a 2 gap 3-4. Horrible scheme fit for the giants players

BlueJayC
12-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Neither....would love to see a fresh aggressive face at DC......maybe someone from the college ranks.

ny06
12-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Bring Pepper Johnson back home. He has only coached in a 3-4 defense, but has worked with arguably the best defensive mind this game has seen. Give him an interview to see what he has to offer.

giantyankee1976
12-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Lovie.

His guys, Offense and Defense absolutely LOVE him.

he runs a modified Tampa-2 and can be the "good cop" to Coughlin's "bad cop"

M00KIE
It doesn't matter what we want. Wake me when it's over.

Kruunch
Lovie when he was a DC was a true tampa 2 guy, no blitzes or very few. This is really the first season the bears arent playing tampa 2 every play.

Romeo only runs a 2 gap 3-4. Horrible scheme fit for the giants players

Ummmm that's not true. Lovie Smith came up under Dungy and Monte Kiffin, both blitz happy DCs in their time. When Lovie went to the Rams as DC, he was fairly renowned for his pressure packages (markedly so).

It was only under Ron Turner, that the Bears stopped being blitz happy (and have gone back to happy blitzing under Marinelli).

I agree about Crennel and that we don't have the personnel to run his defense well ... but if I have to see more 400+ yard games thrown up against the Giants I'm going to punch a nun.

P.S. - The thing I love about Lovie's Tampa 2 is that he'll blitz DBs off the edge.

brad
12-31-2012, 12:34 PM

Fewell and Lovie both use a 4-3, however the difference is the "read and react" philosophy. It brings back memories of Rod Rust, it didn't work then and it clearly isn't working now.

I agree with you on Crennel

hungrrrry
12-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I would go with Lovie, Correct me if I'm wrong but the Bears D is usually in the top 10 every season aren't they?i would definatly take Lovie for dc

Kruunch
They both use a 4-3, however the difference is the "read and react" philosophy. It brings back memories of Rod Rust, it didn't work then and it clearly isn't working now.

I don't think Crennel has ever run a 4-3.

brad
I don't think Crennel has ever run a 4-3.

I edited... realized that it looked like I was talking about those two but was comparing PF and Lovie

Kruunch
12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
What are your guys' opinions.

Do you think we should stay as is, change DCs, OCs, HCs or any combination thereof?

Moke
12-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I think we can give Fewell another shot. Give him linebackers and a team to work with. We always believe we have depth, and we do a little bit, but we always have some injuries there. Also, the DL is getting really old, especially the DEs.

Gilbride, I'd get rid of and make Andy Reid the OC, but he might be getting a HC job somewhere else.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe a new DC; mainly because PF's contract is up and I'm not so positive that he earned an extension.

Moke
12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
We need a new OC. Can't take Gilbride and the inconsistencies. Can't really rant on it any longer... the problem with the red zone is the play-calling. There is no ****ing way we always go 3 and out near the red zone... Can't settle for field goals, and it's not execution because no one is ever open when we're in the red zone. Goes to show the play-calling is just god awful and predictable there.

Kruunch
12-31-2012, 12:52 PM
We need a new OC. Can't take Gilbride and the inconsistencies. Can't really rant on it any longer... the problem with the red zone is the play-calling. There is no ****ing way we always go 3 and out near the red zone... Can't settle for field goals, and it's not execution because no one is ever open when we're in the red zone. Goes to show the play-calling is just god awful and predictable there.

Normally I'd disagree with you (as I do with most of the KG haters) but I would love to see Norv Turner calling the plays for the Giants.

krygny
12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I would go with Lovie, ...

I don't think it would work out.

http://sheristaak.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/mrs.-Howell.jpg

Moke
12-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Normally I'd disagree with you (as I do with most of the KG haters) but I would love to see Norv Turner calling the plays for the Giants.

I made the case for Andy Reid, but I am hearing that Norv would take an OC job. I wish we could take a look at him.

Kruunch
lol nice

Kruunch
I made the case for Andy Reid, but I am hearing that Norv would take an OC job. I wish we could take a look at him.

I wouldn't want Reid either ... basically for the same reason I wouldn't want Crennel (after thinking about it). Good at what they do, but don't fit our current team.

And Norv will never get another HC job, whereas Reid most likely will.

brad
12-31-2012, 01:01 PM

They both run a variation of the Tampa 2, however Fewell uses a "read and react"... something I don't believe Lovie does, he is more agressive with the LBs and secondary

giants8493
12-31-2012, 01:04 PM
we need to trade for rob ryan

Kruunch
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
we need to trade for rob ryan

I'd rather have Matt Dodge coach the defense.

giants8493
12-31-2012, 01:09 PM
I'd rather have Matt Dodge coach the defense.well same here but no one else will be for that..

Sundown
12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Get Romeo and switch to a 3-4. Good time to do it since we need to dump some defensive players anyway.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
Romeo Crennel or Lovie Smith as the Giants' new DC?

Romeo is most likely being ousted in KC and Lovie has already been shown the door.

Both have been quality DC's in the past.

Thoughts?You guys are wasting your time wishing for something that will not happen. As long as Coughlin is here, the 3 stooges show will go on.

gumby74
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I'd love me some Lovie. As much as I dislike KG, i don't want too much turnover at once.

mcillo
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Lovie.

His guys, Offense and Defense absolutely LOVE him.

he runs a modified Tampa-2 and can be the "good cop" to Coughlin's "bad cop"
Excellent point

BurnerNYG
12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Lovie without question.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Looks like a bunch of you want a new DC.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 08:33 AM
So the answer is hiring one of two coaches that just got fired?

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 08:34 AM
So the answer is hiring one of two coaches that just got fired?

Apparently someone hasn't been paying attention to the Texans' defense.

GoDeep80
01-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Crennel doesnt fit here at all scheme wise.The defense might be the same but the way they call the defense is completely different I could give a marksman and Joe Smoe the same pistol does that mean their equally skilled?

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Apparently someone hasn't been paying attention to the Texans' defense.So that means it will work for every former HC?

GoDeep80
01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
So that means it will work for every former HC?Most coaches become HCs because of their mastery and prowess as Defensive, Offensive, and In Harboughs case Special Teams geniuses. Just because they don't work out as HCs doesn't mean their not Damn good at what they do. (I.E. **** Lebeau, Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio)

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Agree, but it also doesn't mean they will and the Giants just won the Super Bowl last season.

GoDeep80
01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Agree, but it also doesn't mean they will and the Giants just won the Super Bowl last season.Sure we're one year removed from the super bowl but what a lot of people forget is that Fewell's defense was STILL bad last year and that it was a healthy Nicks, rising Cruz, and a solidified Deep Threat in Manningham, with spot performances by Ballard, and a top 5 passing offense that carried them for 14 of 16 games before the got better.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Agree, but it also doesn't mean they will and the Giants just won the Super Bowl last season.

What's the time limit on that then?

PF's defense has been successively worse each year and he was only a very mediocre DC to begin with.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 09:26 AM
People don't want hear excuses and that is understandable, but it's not his fault that two of his premier DE's didn't perform this year. So now where he thought he DL would put pressure on the QB they did not. Was it his fault that his former #1 CB had a horrible year? When KP is playing they are better. To bad he missed about half the season. Just saying, they finished 12th in points allowed. That's not that bad. Imagine his DL was getting pressure on the QB. How much better does the secondary get especially if Webster played better and KP was playing?

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
People don't want hear excuses and that is understandable, but it's not his fault that two of his premier DE's didn't perform this year. So now where he thought he DL would put pressure on the QB they did not. Was it his fault that his former #1 CB had a horrible year? When KP is playing they are better. To bad he missed about half the season. Just saying, they finished 12th in points allowed. That's not that bad. Imagine his DL was getting pressure on the QB. How much better does the secondary get especially if Webster played better and KP was playing?

Ok ... but when you say Osi didn't perform well, and Tuck didn't perform well and CWeb didn't perform well and KP's backup didn't perform well (although not true ... Stevie Brown was perhaps the best defensive player on the Giants this year from a play making standpoint) what's the one constant for multiple breakdowns on a unit? The coach, no?

Coaching, and more specifically, being a coordinator is about providing two things; 1) A system that works and 2) getting your players to buy into that system. I think after 3 years, you have to question (at the very least) whether either of those are true under Fewell.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
Brown is a nice player but they are a different team with KP. When you pay guys to be playmakers and thy have horrible years its a lt o ask of any DC. Just saying, everything needs to click. What was he supposed to do with an ineffective DL and a banged p and underperforming secondary? Could he have coached them out of it? Maybe, but he defense was 12 in points against and that's not to bad.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Sure we're one year removed from the super bowl but what a lot of people forget is that Fewell's defense was STILL bad last year and that it was a healthy Nicks, rising Cruz, and a solidified Deep Threat in Manningham, with spot performances by Ballard, and a top 5 passing offense that carried them for 14 of 16 games before the got better.

You're saying the defense was absent for 14 regular season games last year?

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Ok ... but when you say Osi didn't perform well, and Tuck didn't perform well and CWeb didn't perform well and KP's backup didn't perform well (although not true ... Stevie Brown was perhaps the best defensive player on the Giants this year from a play making standpoint) what's the one constant for multiple breakdowns on a unit? The coach, no?

Coaching, and more specifically, being a coordinator is about providing two things; 1) A system that works and 2) getting your players to buy into that system. I think after 3 years, you have to question (at the very least) whether either of those are true under Fewell.

If you read the Rolle article yesterday, it seemd clear to me that he was saying the players were at fault.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
If you read the Rolle article yesterday, it seemd clear to me that he was saying the players were at fault.

Sorry I don't adhere to the gospel of Rolle.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Sorry I don't adhere to the gospel of Rolle.

He's in a better position to know than any of us and TC wants to know what every player thinks.

GameTime
01-02-2013, 10:27 AM
what it comes down to is which coach do some of you want to piss and moan about next.......

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
He's in a better position to know than any of us and TC wants to know what every player thinks.

So is the water boy but I don't listen to him either.

JJC7301
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM

But would Lovie make better adjustments than Fewell? I want an aggressive DC who can make adjustments. I'd love it if we could hire Spags away from NO, but I know that that's just daydreaming.

For OC, I'm a Gilbride supporter but in the like event that he is fired, how about Norv Turner as his replacement?

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 03:57 PM
But would Lovie make better adjustments than Fewell? I want an aggressive DC who can make adjustments. I'd love it if we could hire Spags away from NO, but I know that that's just daydreaming.

For OC, I'm a Gilbride supporter but in the like event that he is fired, how about Norv Turner as his replacement?

Norv Turner is one of the very few OCs that I consider being an upgrade over KG.

Lovie would absolutely make better adjustments than Fewell. He'd also scheme a Tampa 2 better.

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
I'd take Lovie, but he's a hot commodity right now and our position is full.