PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin Says Fewell & Gilbride Stay

Overdrive92
12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
In his exit interview just now, Coughlin confirmed that Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell will stay when asked if he would. This is not surprising at all, but those of you calling for his head can finally move on.

EDIT: Gilbride will stay too. Coughlin confirms no coaching staff changes.

EDIT2: Coughlin also confirms that he is staying and will not retire, just in case anyone had any underlying hopes.

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/31/new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-doesnt-anticipate-any-coaching-staff-changes-for-2013/

M00KIE
12-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Did he say the same for KG?

Buddy333
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
There will be no coaching changes.

Overdrive92
12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Did he say the same for KG?

No one asked about Gilbride (yet), but I'm sure he will be.

TheAnalyst
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
I fully expect us to keep Gilbride too, and fully expect a 6-2, 5-3 start next year followed by a collapse because these coordinators suck at adjusting to the game. This team will continue to be slightly above mediocre.

Cloud57
Repeat of 2012 next year.

ny06
The defensive problems were not entirely Fewells fault. Injuries, players underperforming.

Overdrive92
12-31-2012, 01:15 PM
Coughlin just said Gilbride will stay too. There will be no coaching staff changes.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 01:16 PM
The defensive problems were not entirely Fewells fault. Injuries, players underperforming.

Only knock on Fewell is that he didn't pull Tuck and Osi when they decided to not show up to play. Other than that he's been gimped by injuries in his defense all year.

Killdrive staying is more unsettling, but not unexpected...

giantsfan420
12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
well we still have JR and the owners to overrule him hopefully

brad
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't expect KG to go anywhere, but I was kind of hoping they would at least look a new DC. I find it surprising that Coughlin said he has no idea what the problems were this year and that he would be talking to players to figure it out, then immediately dismisses making any coaching changes without doing the due diligence. Seems to me that he is limiting his options and steering the results of his "fact finding" in a specific direction rather than keeping an open mind and getting to the root cause of the perennial collapse.

Overdrive92
12-31-2012, 01:18 PM

This isn't the Jets. There will be no mutiny around here. JR, Mara, & Tisch have full trust in Coughlin and aren't going to go around vetoing his decisions.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 01:20 PM
In his exit interview just now, he confirmed that DC Perry Fewell will stay when asked if he would. This is not surprising at all, but those of you calling for his head can finally move on.

EDIT: Gilbride will stay too. Coughlin confirms no coaching staff changes.Well, some of us knew that the 3 stooges show will continue. Just hope that the Eagles do not hire Chip Kelly. If they do, you will see how he will make the 3 stooges look like pee-wee coaches. He is one of the most imaginative and innovative offensive play callers. I will we could have had him as an OC, but he will be a HC in the NFL or he will stay put.

brad
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Only knock on Fewell is that he didn't pull Tuck and Osi when they decided to not show up to play. Other than that he's been gimped by injuries in his defense all year.

Killdrive staying is more unsettling, but not unexpected...

The defense wasn't exactly lights out last year either... until they changed the approach late in the season. They inexplicably went back to the "read and react" soft coverage that gave up massive yards last year... even though it was clearly not playing to the strengths of the personnel.

Overdrive92
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Coughlin confirms he's staying too and will not retire...

...Just in case any of you had some underlying hopes for that.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't expect KG to go anywhere, but I was kind of hoping they would at least look a new DC. I find it surprising that Coughlin said he has no idea what the problems were this year and that he would be talking to players to figure it out, then immediately dismisses making any coaching changes without doing the due diligence. Seems to me that he is limiting his options and steering the results of his "fact finding" in a specific direction rather than keeping an open mind and getting to the root cause of the perennial collapse.I do not find surprising that Coughlin has no idea what the problems are. He is clueless. The rest of the world can see where the problem is but when you are the problem, you cannot see it.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Aww man...always a bad day when a SB staff is retained!

Second half collapse, here we come!

ny06
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
The defense wasn't exactly lights out last year either... until they changed the approach late in the season. They inexplicably went back to the "read and react" soft coverage that gave up massive yards last year... even though it was clearly not playing to the strengths of the personnel.
And when do the players get held accountable?

joemorrisforprez
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I fully expect us to keep Gilbride too, and fully expect a 6-2, 5-3 start next year followed by a collapse because these coordinators suck at adjusting to the game. This team will continue to be slightly above mediocre.

I wish I could disagree.

Maybe this offseason, the GM and coaching staff can get together and figure out a way to improve the team.

The 2012 plan: "Draft guys the coaching staff refuses to play until the season is on life support."

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
I wish I could disagree.

Maybe this offseason, the GM and coaching staff can get together and figure out a way to improve the team.

The 2012 plan: "Draft guys the coaching staff refuses to play until the season is on life support."However one thing is certain: They all will have a great practice.

brad
12-31-2012, 01:31 PM
And when do the players get held accountable?

The players should be held accountable... everyone should and that includes coaches. The scheme PF uses is the same one Rust used, that debacle brought to you by Ray Handley. The read and react, bend don't break defense was a horrible idea then and it's a horrible idea now. Rust turned a great defense into one of the worst... and you will have a hard time convincing anyone it was the players.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
And when do the players get held accountable?When they do not live up to the expectations. And who holds the players accountable and how? Is it the coaches, the fans or some behind the scenes figure? Better yet, who has the final say who will play or not? Funny how everything begins and ends with coaching but some here are so blind to see it that they will always blame the players. Should we be mad at Webster because he was toast this season and fault him or should we be mad at the decision makers that kept him in the game? Like Wellington Mara once said: "do not blame the player, he is doing the best that he can." If that is the best that Webster could do, why would I blame Webster? or any other player?

ny06
12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
The players should be held accountable... everyone should and that includes coaches. The scheme PF uses is the same one Rust used, that debacle brought to you by Ray Handley. The read and react, bend don't break defense was a horrible idea then and it's a horrible idea now. Rust turned a great defense into one of the worst... and you will have a hard time convincing anyone it was the players.
Did you like the defense in the playoffs last season? It's the same scheme but players executed. I'll give Fewell the benefit of the doubt this season, as like many here the defense was an utter joke this season. But we are all quick to point the finger at the DC instead of looking at the main issue, the players. Poor tackling isn't Fewells fault, missing assignments is not Fewells fault. Not beating your man in the trenches is not Fewells fault. The thing that Fewell doesn't do we'll is adjusting to what's going on in the game.

joemorrisforprez
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Did you like the defense in the playoffs last season? It's the same scheme but players executed. I'll give Fewell the benefit of the doubt this season, as like many here the defense was an utter joke this season. But we are all quick to point the finger at the DC instead of looking at the main issue, the players. Poor tackling isn't Fewells fault, missing assignments is not Fewells fault. Not beating your man in the trenches is not Fewells fault. The thing that Fewell doesn't do we'll is adjusting to what's going on in the game.

If I'm going to point the finger at any single player or coach, it would be pointed at Justin Tuck. He is the guy who is supposed to make the 4 man rush go. He failed on the field, and in the locker room with his maudlin attitude. In 2011, Coughlin was able to flip Tuck's switch....this year, it didn't happen.

But to your point, Fewell simply didn't adjust. In his defense, when you have Tuck, Osi, JPP, Canty, and Joseph, you should expect more from a 4 man rush. But Fewell stuck with it despite it's glaring failure, and as a result, this defense couldn't even get off the field on a 3rd and 20.

Moke
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
We'll have one more year of Gilbride inconsistency and then the upper management will realize.

brad
12-31-2012, 01:53 PM

I did like the scheme in the playoffs last year... because it wasn't the same scheme. They simplified the defense and started implementing a more aggressive approach with the LBs and secondary. What we saw this year was the same scheme used prior to that adjustment.

TCHOF
12-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Well said

joemorrisforprez
12-31-2012, 02:03 PM
We'll have one more year of Gilbride inconsistency and then the upper management will realize.

I really hope that Coughlin takes a hard look at his coordinators and forces some changes.

This team needs a faster tempo on offense......on defense, they need rotate guys.

brad
12-31-2012, 02:06 PM

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/back_to_the_basics_giants_defe.html

The issues this season were the same ones as last season, the difference is that last season they changed in time to fix it.

OX1
12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
However one thing is certain: They all will have a great practice.

Pretty easy when you are crap on both sides of the trenches............

ny06
12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
I did like the scheme in the playoffs last year... because it wasn't the same scheme. They simplified the defense and started implementing a more aggressive approach with the LBs and secondary. What we saw this year was the same scheme used prior to that adjustment.
It's the same scheme, did the Giants D look great against the 49ers, Panthers, Packers? If the scheme was the main issue then we wouldn't of had those great performances from the D against those 3 teams. The players let the defense down this year is my point, if they played any where near of prior year (end of the season)then Fewell would have been more creative in his game planning. But pretty much each week he had to find a way to cover up weaknesses all over the defense.

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Absolutely ridiculous!
To not even consider making a change when so many talented head coaches are being fired is foolish.
Lovie Smith or Romeo Crennel at DC
Norv Turner or Ken Whisenhunt at OC
Guess we can forget about going after Greg Jennings and LaRon Landry too.
That's ok. We'll be satisfied with another 9-7 finish and maybe third place next year.
Let's just sit on our hands like we always do and watch these guys go to other teams and make them better.
Put up or shut up!!!!

YATittle1962
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
anyone who thought there would be any coaching changes does not understand this organization whatsoever

luni
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Coughlin says he has no intentions of making any coaching staff changes, which means not only is Fewell staying (barring a head coaching job), but Gilbride is as well.

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/373023_418837579376_379523909_q.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/giants101?ref=stream)Giants 101 (https://www.facebook.com/giants101?ref=stream)
Also, Kevin Boothe said now that he's been a starter, he may want to test the free agent market. Doesn't sound like he'll be giving any sort of hometown discount.

[/h]

Giantslb66
12-31-2012, 02:20 PM
"Don't worry we've won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years."
"You can't make the playoffs EVERY year."
"You guys that want the playoffs every year are spoiled."

brad
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
It's the same scheme, did the Giants D look great against the 49ers, Panthers, Packers? If the scheme was the main issue then we wouldn't of had those great performances from the D against those 3 teams. The players let the defense down this year is my point, if they played any where near of prior year (end of the season)then Fewell would have been more creative in his game planning. But pretty much each week he had to find a way to cover up weaknesses all over the defense.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/back_to_the_basics_giants_defe.html

Not the same scheme. Yes, they did look great in some games, but overall they ranked 30th in yards and 30th in 3rd down conversions. Every team has to deal with injuries, it isn't unique to the Giants. What is unique about the Giants is that the past 2 years the D has ranked among the worst in the NFL. I guess you could assume that all of the players suddenly became horrible, just like what happened with Rod Rust... it was the players fault not the scheme. Oh wait... no, it was the scheme. The same scheme PF uses today.

YATittle1962
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM

you guys talk like there is one defensive scheme and thats it....the be all end all

this team has played 3 safety looks , 4 LB looks, 50 front looks .......and changed for most every game to try to adjust to accumulating injuries

sometimes I question if some of you guys even know what you are talking about when you throw around the word "scheme"

Perry Fewell is a good DC

when you spend a whole offseason implementing a scheme that runs off a pass rush that you think you have....and rightfully so ......and that rush doesn't show up.....ever.......do you have any idea how difficult of an adjustment that is when your secondary is depleted ?

with guys like JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, Canty.............do you think anyone thought the pass rush would be this bad

I know Fewell didn't

you scheme to your strengths

and our strength never showed up

PBTimmons
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
I think it goes without saying: Kevin Boothe, will you be a gent and kindly F*** off?

Rhetorical.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
anyone who thought there would be any coaching changes does not understand this organization whatsoeverHow true! As long as they collect their PSL and ticket money, no changes will be made. As long as performance stays at just above the mediocre level, no changes will be made. Hence the 2nd half collapses will continue. Some of us realized that along time ago.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
you guys talk like there is one defensive scheme and thats it....the be all end all

this team has played 3 safety looks , 4 LB looks, 50 front looks .......and changed for most every game to try to adjust to accumulating injuries

sometimes I question if some of you guys even know what you are talking about when you throw around the word "scheme"

when you spend a whole offseason implementing a scheme that runs off a pass rush that you think you have....and rightfully so ......and that rush doesn't show up.....ever.......do you have any idea how difficult of an adjustment that is when your secondary is depleted ?

with guys like JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, Canty.............do you think anyone thought the pass rush would be this bad

I know Fewell didn't

YA, didn't you know that adjustments are only labeled as adjustments if they work? C'mon man...

And on offense, adjustments is a term used synonymously with screens and slants when our WRs can't beat man coverage.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM

I know Fewell didn'tPerry Fewell is a good DC
If that is so, why is the Giants D ranked among the last in the NFL under his tenure?

jakegibbs
12-31-2012, 02:31 PM

Not gonna happen. One thing I've learned over the years about the owners is the only time they step in to manage the NYG football team is when they'res a head coaching change.

Dogg
12-31-2012, 02:32 PM

I know Fewell didn't

and our strength never showed upwell said....u hit the nail on the head

YATittle1962
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
If that is so, why is the Giants D ranked among the last in the NFL under his tenure?

is the beloved Spagnuolo a good DC?

what makes anyone think that coaching alone makes a team rank high is beyond me

is this your first season watching football?

c'mon bro

Dogg
12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
If that is so, why is the Giants D ranked among the last in the NFL under his tenure?we as fans can bark all we want. I guarantee that not many if any of us could be a pro DC. Nobody was whining about the defense in the playoffs last year. Yeah, I wanna win the title every year...but...that's not gonna happen.

SimmsandLT
12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
YA, didn't you know that adjustments are only labeled as adjustments if they work? C'mon man...

And on offense, adjustments is a term used synonymously with screens and slants when our WRs can't beat man coverage.

I didn't realistically expect any changes on the coaching staff, and you're right that the players need to be held accountable. But I need to stress to everyone that the coaches bear JUST as much responsibility as the players. The players may have failed on a lot of levels to execute, but the coaches failed to put them in numerous positions to succeed numerous times too.
Any Giants fan that can sit here and think neither side should be held accountable is denying reality. Injuries happen to all teams, so I won't use that as an excuse.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 02:37 PM
I didn't realistically expect any changes on the coaching staff, and you're right that the players need to be held accountable. But I need to stress to everyone that the coaches bear JUST as much responsibility as the players. The players may have failed on a lot of levels to execute, but the coaches failed to put them in numerous positions to succeed numerous times too.
Any Giants fan that can sit here and think neither side should be held accountable is denying reality. Injuries happen to all teams, so I won't use that as an excuse.A lot of our problems do lie with the coaches, but those problems are deeper than the simplistic explanations we see here.

SimmsandLT
12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
A lot of our problems do lie with the coaches, but those problems are deeper than the simplistic explanations we see here.

Agreed, I just don't like it when people tend to take one point of view on this subject when it was a team wide failure. I have problems with the coaching staff, and plenty of players. But it goes hand in hand.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm willing to admit that the players had something to do with this season's meltdown, but at the same time you can't overlook the coordinators' share of fault because this meltdown trend has been happening on a yearly basis.

Gilbride is a bit similar to Eli in that his play-calling is very inconsistent, one game he's great, another game it's as predictable and bland as my grandmother's nightlife plans at the local bingo gathering.

As much as it seemed impossible to despise any other coordinator more than Gilbride, I've found myself despising Fewell even more. I don't even think he's a good DC now, he totally relies on the talent, and his scheme is horrendous. Even vs yesterday's game, the defense allowed crucial 4th down conversions because on 4th and 17 Fewell called a prevent defense, and 4th and goal, Fewell was too late calling in the right coverage, making the players improv on their own.

Coughlin is blaming everything on the players, I think that is dead wrong. Now I can't wait for Coughlin to retire.

brad
12-31-2012, 02:52 PM

I know Fewell didn't

Maybe I am using the wrong word when I say "scheme"... what I am referring to is the philosophy of "read and react". Sometimes... I question objectivity when someone would suggest that every player on defense suddenly became horrible without even considering the possibility that the approach on defense might be at least part of the problem. I know you have been around long enough to remember Rod Rust and Ray Handley. Do you feel the problem then was the players or the d-coord? If the read and react approach was the problem then (and it clearly was) what makes you feel that the read and react is suddenly better now? How can you explain that the defense went from great before PF to horrible under PF?

I will concede that the d-line has not been able to create the pressure that it has in the past... that is obvious, what isn't obvious is why. Is it because Tuck, Osi and JPP suddenly forgot how to play or is it because teams realized that all they had to do to negate the pass rush was get rid of the ball faster or use max protection schemes? It may well be that every player on defense forgot how to play and the fact that it all started when PF arrived is simply a coincidence. Or... it could be that PF is asking them to play a style of defense they hate, just like Rust did when players like Pepper Johnson were practically in revolt.

giantyankee1976
12-31-2012, 02:54 PM
slap my face, "oy vey."

drewz
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
What do you expect?

The sad thing is I don't expect any drastic changes. Status Quo will go on into next year, and we'll suffer the same second half collapse and either limp into the playoffs, or not make it at all.

titwio
12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
I have no problems with this. This team just won a championship with these guys. The players were mentally drained and I think that was due to the tough schedule, the late bye, and a rash of injuries. I rather have the same system in place instead of having a long, new learning curve for these guys next year.

Hopefully the players are healthier and more motivated next year. Maybe watching the postseason on TV will do these guys some good. I think this season was more on the players than the coaches...to be honest.

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 02:58 PM
There's no point in complaining about the OC/DC.

As for Tom he looks very healthy for a guy his age, he won't retire anytime soon. He'll probably be here till he's 90.

YATittle1962
12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe I am using the wrong word when I say "scheme"... what I am referring to is the philosophy of "read and react". Sometimes... I question objectivity when someone would suggest that every player on defense suddenly became horrible without even considering the possibility that the approach on defense might be at least part of the problem. I know you have been around long enough to remember Rod Rust and Ray Handley. Do you feel the problem then was the players or the d-coord? If the read and react approach was the problem then (and it clearly was) what makes you feel that the read and react is suddenly better now? How can you explain that the defense went from great before PF to horrible under PF?

I will concede that the d-line has not been able to create the pressure that it has in the past... that is obvious, what isn't obvious is why. Is it because Tuck, Osi and JPP suddenly forgot how to play or is it because teams realized that all they had to do to negate the pass rush was get rid of the ball faster or use max protection schemes? It may well be that every player on defense forgot how to play and the fact that it all started when PF arrived is simply a coincidence. Or... it could be that PF is asking them to play a style of defense they hate, just like Rust did when players like Pepper Johnson were practically in revolt.

first of all....when was the defense great before Fewell?

when Strahan was here?
when Tuck was healthy?
when Osi gave a ****?
before Bill Sheridan?

in a nut shell....this defense and that type of read and react defense is highly affective when a team has a solid pass rush......which this team should have had

you scheme around your strengths and our strength never showed up

we don't have a Revis, or an Ed Reed, or a Clay Matthews .......we have a JPP and supposedly a Tuck and Osi.....

in this scheme if the passer is under pressure the LBs and DBs will be in position to take advantage of rushed throws

I don't care what scheme you throw out there....if the passer can make a phone call before he makes his throw no one is going to look good

if the pass rush showed up this season you guys would be singing a different tune about Fewell and his schemes

FBomb
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
It's pretty funny that some of you expected ANY of the coaching staff would be fired. The biggest issues of all were the line play on both sides of the ball.....simple as that. When Eli gets pressured he makes bad throws....always has. When the d-line doesn't get pressure the entire defense suffers. Tuck and Osi are mere shells of their former glory days....people get old and broken down.

Time to rebuild those 2 key issues. Everything will fall into place.

Buddy333
12-31-2012, 03:01 PM
You guys realize they did win the Super Bowl last year right?

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Last year was also a roller-coaster season, barely making the playoffs. And this was supposedly the year Eli had his best season, I don't think barely making the playoffs is the team's highest potential. The coordinators have to be held account for and they really didn't help much this season. Coughlin needs to change his mind.

brad
12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
first of all....when was the defense great before Fewell?

when Strahan was here?
when Tuck was healthy?
when Osi gave a ****?
before Bill Sheridan?

in a nut shell....this defense and that type of read and react defense is highly affective when a team has a solid pass rush......which this team should have had

you scheme around your strengths and our strength never showed up

we don't have a Revis, or an Ed Reed, or a Clay Matthews .......we have a JPP and supposedly a Tuck and Osi.....

in this scheme if the passer is under pressure the LBs and DBs will be in position to take advantage of rushed throws

I don't care what scheme you throw out there....if the passer can make a phone call before he makes his throw no one is going to look good

if the pass rush showed up this season you guys would be singing a different tune about Fewell and his schemes

The pass rush did show up last year and the results were not much different. 31st in yards allowed and 13th in points per game.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2011&team=NYG&seasonType=

Clearly we aren't going to agree so the back and forth on two different threads is pointless. I look at history and remember Rust, and believe that coaching has a huge impact on the way players play. You look at it and believe that if it isn't working it is only because of the players. Personally, I believe players are part of the problem... but they are not the whole problem.

FrankAE
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM

With these same Coaches, blame the players how the dline put no pressure on qb's and left a struggling Webby to defend for far to long most plays. Blitzing would not help any with a crappy secondary that got blown up every time KP was out.

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
You guys realize they did win the Super Bowl last year right?I think everyone is glad we won a SB, it's just the inconsistencies that most fans don't like.

Imgrate
12-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Coughlin has already fired 3 coordinators....

jakegibbs
12-31-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm willing to admit that the players had something to do with this season's meltdown, but at the same time you can't overlook the coordinators' share of fault because this meltdown trend has been happening on a yearly basis.

Gilbride is a bit similar to Eli in that his play-calling is very inconsistent, one game he's great, another game it's as predictable and bland as my grandmother's nightlife plans at the local bingo gathering.

As much as it seemed impossible to despise any other coordinator more than Gilbride, I've found myself despising Fewell even more. I don't even think he's a good DC now, he totally relies on the talent, and his scheme is horrendous. Even vs yesterday's game, the defense allowed crucial 4th down conversions because on 4th and 17 Fewell called a prevent defense, and 4th and goal, Fewell was too late calling in the right coverage, making the players improv on their own.

Coughlin is blaming everything on the players, I think that is dead wrong. Now I can't wait for Coughlin to retire.

I think we've all watched the KG offense & Fewell defense long enough to know that on offense they live or die with the big play down the field on single coverage & on defense they rely on the offense scoring at least 28 points per game. With that being said the offense to be effective running & passing must have & at all times at least 3 viable WR's on any given passing down to stretch the field & get single coverage on at least 1 reciever all the time. This year only in the 1st half did they have that option. For some reason they kept playing a badly injured Nicks who could not get seperation & it killed the passing attack which in turn allowed the oposing defense to load up on the run plays because they weren't afraid of the passing attack. The bend but only break every now & then defense was forced to play more than they're depth would allow thus making for some 1 sided blow out games. When the offense was clicking they blew out teams like the 49s, panthers, packers, eagles etc.....

Next year if Nicks, Cruz & Randle all stay healthy & they can replace a couple of weak links on the defense & offensive lines look out. Get your playoff tickets early. Problem with the Giants the last few years is they're healthy the 1st 8 weeks & hurt the last 8 weeks. Maybe invest on a strenth coach & have everyone including Eli bulk up 25 lbs or so. hmmmmm........I'm out...

Down-lifer
12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
You guys realize they did win the Super Bowl last year right?i really don't get what's going on with some giants fans. They want to clean house! Yes, we have to make some changes, but be rational about it. 3 playoff appearances and 2 Super Bowl wins in 6 seasons is pretty damn good!

Down-lifer
12-31-2012, 03:25 PM

Killdrive staying is more unsettling, but not unexpected...people don't get football I guess. Our defense underperformed all season and we had injuries. Players need to be held accountable! Tuck, Osi, Jpp and Webster all had awful seasons. JPP was a HUGE disappointment!

Buddy333
12-31-2012, 03:27 PM
No one likes ow the season turned out, but you could also say that they missed the playoffs by just a couple of points. They had 3 losses by a combined 7 points. Some players had off years and yes, that means Eli especially. If he bounces back next year that's another win or two. If they can stay pretty health on fife se that is another win or two. Draft well and that can be another win or two. It's not to hard to believe they could be a 12-4 team next year.

Down-lifer
12-31-2012, 03:32 PM
No one likes ow the season turned out, but you could also say that they missed the playoffs by just a couple of points. They had 3 losses by a combined 7 points. Some players had off years and yes, that means Eli especially. If he bounces back next year that's another win or two. If they can stay pretty health on fife se that is another win or two. Draft well and that can be another win or two. It's not to hard to believe they could be a 12-4 team next year.Absolutely!

brad
12-31-2012, 03:33 PM
people don't get football I guess. Our defense underperformed all season and we had injuries. Players need to be held accountable! Tuck, Osi, Jpp and Webster all had awful seasons. JPP was a HUGE disappointment!

Clearly players didn't play up to their ability... but JPP, Tuck, Osi and even Webster were all very good last year, yet the defense was still ranked among the worst in the league. The defense only started to dominate after they simplified the schemes and moved away from the "read and react" for the playoffs. So, while we hold players accountable, can we also agree that coaches should be held accountable, or are they above accountability?

Down-lifer
12-31-2012, 03:36 PM
Clearly players didn't play up to their ability... but JPP, Tuck, Osi and even Webster were all very good last year, yet the defense was still ranked among the worst in the league. The defense only started to dominate after they simplified the schemes and moved away from the "read and react" for the playoffs. So, while we hold players accountable, can we also agree that coaches should be held accountable, or are they above accountability?the defense last year started playing better because they got healthy at the right time and players just were "better" last year! JPP was like an LT out there, total domination!

titwio
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Clearly players didn't play up to their ability... but JPP, Tuck, Osi and even Webster were all very good last year, yet the defense was still ranked among the worst in the league. The defense only started to dominate after they simplified the schemes and moved away from the "read and react" for the playoffs. So, while we hold players accountable, can we also agree that coaches should be held accountable, or are they above accountability?

There were a lot of injuries last year and Osi and Tuck missed a lot of time. When the Giants got healthier late in the year the defense played better, the confidence grew and they played that way through the playoffs. All with the same system and same coaches in place.

The players this year were just massively worse.

brad
12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
the defense last year started playing better because they got healthy at the right time and players just were "better" last year! JPP was like an LT out there, total domination!

This was an article from last year, fans were saying pretty much the same things at the end of regular season last year as they are saying now.. this article discusses the changes they were making to "simplify the defense". The difference was stark and was a big part of the playoff run all the way through the SB. What is frustrating is that they went back to what wasn't working this season. We can both agree that the players started playing better... we differ in why, this explains why I believe what I do, because it comes straight from the players.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?season=2011&team=NYG&seasonType=

BlueMetal 40
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM

The only problem I have with this is if pressure is the key to our D philosophy being a success, then where were the blitzes? Our D was continually burned by big plays, and that is the main argument to blitzing, giving up the big play. So, in Fewells' mind, one would have thought if the front 4 aren't producing, send 5 or 6, because our secondary is going to get burned anyway.

He employed that risky blitzing this past game, and it payed off. Granted it was a 4 win Philthy team, not a double digit win playoff contender, but to barely blitz at all? I don't understand that.

Here's to the 2013 roster being a much better performing, all around solid team.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM
is the beloved Spagnuolo a good DC?

what makes anyone think that coaching alone makes a team rank high is beyond me

is this your first season watching football?

c'mon broGreat Coaching along with talent is a great combination. However the Giants coaching staff lacks the capability of understanding what talent can do for you. They'd rather play injured players than healthy players just because they are rookies. In the meantime a 6th round RB tore a big hole in Fewells D and he had no answer. We were giving up the big pass and No, this is not my first season watching as a matter of fact I watched the Giants since the early 80's during the Perkins years. I guess Perkins was a good coach too and he just lacked talent right? Or Ray Handley or Fassel. This team does not lack talent. How do you explain the 2nd half collapses under Coughlin? How do you explain this team not being ready to perform at the most crucial times? This team lacks leadership both at coaching level and at the player level. What does Spags have to do with anything at hand? yes he was a good DC and still he is a good DC much better than Fewell. I guess we must be the only team in the NFL that had to deal with injuries and that is good enough to give coaching a pass.

rtlax
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I think lack of O-line is more a reason for the offense sputtering than Kevin Kilbride. I know we like to bash the guy but statistically over the past 9 seasons the offense has been on the top tier of the NFL. I often wonder what would happen though if we had a guy like Sean Payton cooking up stuff what the offense would look like. Coughlin is the right man for the job, The NFL is a flavor of the month league but there is something to be said for organizational continuity and consistency. Lets not forget he wins Super Bowls. It isn't an easy thing to do and the list of coaches who have won more than one is short. That being said coaching is more important by leaps and bounds in football than any other professional sport. The Giants need to have the best guys in place and always be looking for the next "best guy" to replace them.

giantsforce
12-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Agreed, I just don't like it when people tend to take one point of view on this subject when it was a team wide failure. I have problems with the coaching staff, and plenty of players. But it goes hand in hand.This makes too much sense. You need to belong to one camp or another.
The thing that I really do not understand is how one can lay the failure to perform only at the players feet. It is a shared responsibility but ultimately it is the coaches responsibility to make the players perform at their highest level and if not to do something about it. We know that Osi and Tuck had mailed it in early and they still kept playing them instead of giving a chance to someone else. Webster was getting toasted and they gave him no help or even pull him out of the game. At this point, anyone from the stands could have had the same performance.

gumby74
12-31-2012, 03:58 PM
well that sucks ....

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
"Don't worry we've won 2 Super Bowls in 5 years."
"You can't make the playoffs EVERY year."
"You guys that want the playoffs every year are spoiled."
Tell that to the Patriot fans.

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Watch the episode of A Football Life of Jimmy Johnson and then you can answer your question.

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
No one likes ow the season turned out, but you could also say that they missed the playoffs by just a couple of points. They had 3 losses by a combined 7 points. Some players had off years and yes, that means Eli especially. If he bounces back next year that's another win or two. If they can stay pretty health on fife se that is another win or two. Draft well and that can be another win or two. It's not to hard to believe they could be a 12-4 team next year.

"Dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer, and when you put your hands on your ***** oh no!!!"

nycsportzfan
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
its funny that people agree with this. It really cracks me up how the same people who agreed with keeping OSI and not trading for Tony Gonzalez, and every other dumb move the giants have made, are the same ones sitting here agreeing with keeping keving gilbride and fewell..

Just because the giants are doing it, dosen't make it a good decison..lol Its a joke to keep fewell and gilbride.. And for any other reason, it gives the players yet another example of no repercutions for a pathetic collapse.. How there isn't nobodys head rolling for another monumental collapse is beyond me?

THis team is cap strapped to the max and not making the postseason with a 100mill dollar QB , and a dline of OSI, TUCK, and JPP, and a WR DUO of Nicks and Cruz, and Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Boley, Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Corey Webster...etc

Its freaking laughable!

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
i really don't get what's going on with some giants fans. They want to clean house! Yes, we have to make some changes, but be rational about it. 3 playoff appearances and 2 Super Bowl wins in 6 seasons is pretty damn good!

This is the New York Football Giants you are talking about. Do the New York Yankees organization, players and fans have that mentality? It should be Super Bowl every year or the year was not a success! Again I refer to the Jimmy Johnson episode of A Football Life. Say what you will about JJ (personally I think he's an *******, but the man had the right approach).

giant-4-life
12-31-2012, 04:31 PM
What do you expect?

The sad thing is I don't expect any drastic changes. Status Quo will go on into next year, and we'll suffer the same second half collapse and either limp into the playoffs, or not make it at all.

I don't expect much considering he is from Buffalo.they are all buffoons. why did we even consider him? hell, next time, hire my 6 yr old son. keep it in the family

Die-Hard
12-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Realistically, no one should have been surprised by this news. The Giants love continuity, and since both of the coordinators have rings, and TC wanted them to stay, they had less than 1% chance of going anywhere. The systems work. They just need to reload the roster.

For the record, I despise KG as a playcaller and his offense is offensive, but I have no say in the man keeping his job.

brad
12-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Realistically, no one should have been surprised by this news. The Giants love continuity, and since both of the coordinators have rings, and TC wanted them to stay, they had less than 1% chance of going anywhere. The systems work. They just need to reload the roster.

For the record, I despise KG as a playcaller and his offense is offensive, but I have no say in the man keeping his job.

Agreed, and continuity is why they win SBs... however if the belief is that they just need to reload the roster, that isn't going to happen. The cap situation is bad, very bad. I would be shocked if they can hang onto all of the core players let alone bring in new ones to bolster the roster. Seems to me they are suggesting the players are the problem, if that is true we are in for a few bad years before it gets better. Personally, I don't buy that, but I am also not paid for my coaching or GM abilities...

gfanblue
12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
With 7 coaching vacancies perhaps KG gets an interview and a job.

nycisgreat
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
In his exit interview just now, Coughlin confirmed that Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell will stay when asked if he would. This is not surprising at all, but those of you calling for his head can finally move on.

EDIT2: Coughlin also confirms that he is staying and will not retire, just in case anyone had any underlying hopes.

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/31/new-york-giants-tom-coughlin-doesnt-anticipate-any-coaching-staff-changes-for-2013/

Guys like me never though for a minute that those guys would be gone unless they get hired by another team.

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
With 7 coaching vacancies perhaps KG gets an interview and a job.. Or a college opening. I hope to God/Allah that killdrive isn't here next year.

thegreatone
12-31-2012, 04:56 PM
31,27 those are our d rankings the last two seasons. why wouldn't we keep him?

thegreatone
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
its funny that people agree with this. It really cracks me up how the same people who agreed with keeping OSI and not trading for Tony Gonzalez, and every other dumb move the giants have made, are the same ones sitting here agreeing with keeping keving gilbride and fewell..

Just because the giants are doing it, dosen't make it a good decison..lol Its a joke to keep fewell and gilbride.. And for any other reason, it gives the players yet another example of no repercutions for a pathetic collapse.. How there isn't nobodys head rolling for another monumental collapse is beyond me?

THis team is cap strapped to the max and not making the postseason with a 100mill dollar QB , and a dline of OSI, TUCK, and JPP, and a WR DUO of Nicks and Cruz, and Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Boley, Chris Canty, Linval Joseph, Corey Webster...etc

Its freaking laughable!Well said. We won the sb last year though so they won't get axed(maybe Fewell will please god). I really don't think our personnel is as bad as some make it out.

JPP=BEASTMODE
12-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Repeat of 2012 next year.Wrong!!! Repeat of 2011 next year.

JesseJames
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
after this season of disappointment and not making the playoffs I doubt that the decision to keep anybody will be up to Coughlin because he himself is not on the outside of this equation, he wasn't part of the cure so that makes him part of the problem....

bigblue999
12-31-2012, 05:37 PM

Expect another failure next season, i'm sick of this crap

bigblue999
12-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Coughlin says he has no intentions of making any coaching staff changes, which means not only is Fewell staying (barring a head coaching job), but Gilbride is as well.

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-ash4/373023_418837579376_379523909_q.jpg (https://www.facebook.com/giants101?ref=stream)Giants 101 (https://www.facebook.com/giants101?ref=stream)
Also, Kevin Boothe said now that he's been a starter, he may want to test the free agent market. Doesn't sound like he'll be giving any sort of hometown discount.

[/h]

TRULY A SAD DAY FOR GIANT FANS

sheepdip
12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Wow I cant be more excited to the have the 2 worst co ordinators in the game back for the same thing next year !! TC you silly stu p id stubborn man.

Reese please say it aint so !!

Get rid of the 3 stooges. If we actually had competent coaches we would have made the playoffs easily. 3 games they easily blew this year.

Killdrive still doesnt get it that the league knows how to defend us now.
Fewel wow what can I say. He took this once proud franchise that has been known for defense turned us into the biggest joke of the league.

You name me a worst defense in the league. (excluding philly) No pass rush for the entire season. Not only that teams could run at will or pass at will on us. We constantly have players out of position and not lined up problem ???.

So let me think about this they will somehow change everything around next season magically when these 2 coudlnt do anything right this year ??? yeah sounds like a great plan.

Fewel will all of a sudden know how to stop rg3 and mc coy and others lol.

Oh well. I still support the franchise and team but not the coaches.

TheEnigma
12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
No surprises but I really wish there was a way that the Giants could hire Lovie Smith in some capacity. He's developed some really fine LBs in this modern version of the NFL (Urlacher, Briggs, Fletcher, etc) and if we did take an early round LB, he could mold him into a real stud.

TheEnigma
12-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Boothe doesn't play at a high level nearly enough to warrant a serious deal. He'll come crawling back here.

ashleymarie
12-31-2012, 05:52 PM
i really don't get what's going on with some giants fans. They want to clean house! Yes, we have to make some changes, but be rational about it. 3 playoff appearances and 2 Super Bowl wins in 6 seasons is pretty damn good!

That's in the past. The future is scary to think of these guys being in control. Maybe Coughlin can turn it and himself around this coming season. Hope so.

laylow28
12-31-2012, 05:56 PM
I never expected the cords to be fired,nor think they should have. I dont blame Boothe (any player for that matter) for testing FA.Also I doubt the NYG will hold a grudge for him trying. Its a business and all of us if in his position would do the same especially when you usually only get 1 chance for big money.

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 05:58 PM
This is all related to his stubbornness not to play our best players because of his loyalty to our veterans. This shows that he hasn't changed, I just hope we have a good draft and really improve our defense to compensate for our weak offensive playbook.

ashleymarie
12-31-2012, 05:59 PM
.....and the rain keeps falling...

FlyingTruck
12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Cool. We'll keep being consistently inconsistent.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...d-through-2013 (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/12/fewells-contract-quietly-extended-through-2013)

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin made it clear on Monday that Perry Fewell will remain the Giants’ defensive coordinator, and it turns out they won’t even have to re-sign him. Fewell was quietly given contract extension last winter, according to two league sources, as a reward for helping the Giants win Super Bowl XLVI.

This is the second contract extension for the 50-year-old Fewell, who was first given an extension in the winter of 2011 after he interviewed for several head coaching vacancies following his successful first season with the Giants. That extension would’ve taken him through the end of the 2012 season. The one he signed after the Giants won the Super Bowl last February will take him through 2013.
It's believed all the other assistants on the Giants staff were giving contract extensions after the Super Bowl, too." Read more..

jaxnygmen
12-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I like TC but this is a mistake keeping Fewell!!! This guys scheme is garbage and was easily beaten time and time again. With that DL you could not get pressure on other teams QB's come on!

Ladder27
12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
I like TC but this is a mistake keeping Fewell!!! This guys scheme is garbage and was easily beaten time and time again. With that DL you could not get pressure on other teams QB's come on!

Then whos to say its not the front 4 and not his scheme. TUCK OSI AND JPP played like **** all year. Or did you forget that. That has nothing to do with the Scheme.

Harooni
12-31-2012, 06:19 PM
teams just dont fire anyone the year after a sb, if we miss the playoffs next season also they may convince TC to retire. but these coaches are here to stay ,thats just how the giants do it.

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I think our defense will be alright if we limit our turnovers and 3 and outs by our Offense. Also does this mean that he wont interview for head coaching jobs?

TheAnalyst
12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Then whos to say its not the front 4 and not his scheme. TUCK OSI AND JPP played like **** all year. Or did you forget that. That has nothing to do with the Scheme.

So you are going to blame all of our good players for playing like crap all year over blaming the man who controls what they do?

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 06:40 PM
I like TC but this is a mistake keeping Fewell!!! This guys scheme is garbage and was easily beaten time and time again. With that DL you could not get pressure on other teams QB's come on!Fewell is a clueless DC

BigBlue1971
12-31-2012, 06:42 PM
why all the "coordinator" bashing? everyone on the Giants had a medicore year. its not like its been 3-4-5 years in a row theyve been bad!

why dont we put Tom Quinn in the mix as well? special teams were just as bad as the offense and defense. just sayin!

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 07:04 PM
This team has too much talent to only make the playoffs just once in the last 4 seasons.

I suppose you would turn down Chip Kelly over Gilbride, but I'm so done with Gilbride and his inconsistencies.

Fewell is not even a question, just leave Fewell.

gumby74
12-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Eli better get his **** together because next year, the defense won't be doing him any favors.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 07:09 PM

You don't think Reese and Mara would make a change if they believed one needed to be made? Nothing goes on in that organization by dictate. They make decisions that affect the team as a group. Mara and Reese discuss the weekly injury report with Coughlin so don't think for a minute Coughlin doesn't answer to anyone.

bashful
12-31-2012, 07:10 PM

[/h]

Then. another season of mediocrity

radar-ray
12-31-2012, 07:11 PM
Fewell is a clueless DCThis! Very disapointed we have to watch "read & react" in 2013, it's painful.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 07:14 PM
You don't think Reese and Mara would make a change if they believed one needed to be made? Nothing goes on in that organization by dictate. They make decisions that affect the team as a group. Mara and Reese discuss the weekly injury report with Coughlin so don't think for a minute Coughlin doesn't answer to anyone.
It works both ways, if Coughlin thinks no change is necessary, then more than likely Reese and Mara wouldn't go out of their way either. It's clear to me that Coughlin is being stubborn here regardless of how much authority he has in the decision-making process, that's basically my beef.

bashful
He is a legend in his own mind and TC's too. Tom knows if he lets the troll go he will no longer be in football at the pro level. Perhaps a DIII school or community college program would hire him. He couldn't get the job a New Mexico or UNLV.

Too bad for us that he will be around as long as TC is head coach and that means yrs of mediocrity and inconsistency.

jomo
I think it is Jerry Reese who would be extending contracts to the coaching staff. Granted, he'll take TC's advice on coordinators and assistants.

Drez
12-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Because there weren't enough threads on this.

BMW
12-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Next to last ranked defense, only the giants would do this.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Don't worry, Coughlin will be gone when they don't make the playoffs in 2013, I guarantee it.

jaxnygmen
12-31-2012, 07:22 PM
I am not sure Fewell is the answer at Def. Coord. I think his scheme is garbage and it would not matter who we had playing on the field. I also think that Reese needs to be on the hot seat. His drafts have not produced the quality or depth that this team has needed. We have drafted to many projects and not enough solid players.

bashful
12-31-2012, 07:23 PM

Just amazing mediocrity is acceptable is these three persons were working for Gates, Addelson, Wynn, etc they would all be held accountable and fired. They don't have the answers for the collapse and yet contend practices were good, players motivated and working hard. so who is to blame.

Sorry, it has to be the coaching staff - if they contend all else well. Could it be TC's loyalty to veterans, when there are players on the bench who are better, his loyalty to KG for all these years. Accountablity - who is accountable. If players that release or trade, if coaches terminate them. Corporations do it and the NFL is big business.

TC is the CEO of the team - get some balls and start releasing some of your staff and the deadwood.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 07:23 PM
It works both ways, if Coughlin thinks no change is necessary, then more than likely Reese and Mara wouldn't go out of their way either. It's clear to me that Coughlin is being stubborn here regardless of how much authority he has in the decision-making process, that's basically my beef.

But we have no idea how much autonomy Coughlin has. I am pretty sure he doesn't get to decide to keep a coach they don't want on the team.

jomo
12-31-2012, 07:26 PM
But we have no idea how much autonomy Coughlin has. I am pretty sure he doesn't get to decide to keep a coach they don't want on the team.I am VERY sure of that.

bigblue58
12-31-2012, 07:29 PM

I agree with you!
I don't understand how Coughlin can possibly reconcile this decision when he fired Bill Sheridan for a virtual carbon copy defensive collapse??
Whether it's refusing to play guys like Barden in favor of a hobbled ineffective Nicks, or calling for a flea flicker or some other surprise play to get the offense going when we need a spark, this is the maddening stubbornness of Coughlin that I believe is negatively affecting this team.
This was disheartening news to read after what a disaster the D was all year.

ashleymarie
12-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Fewell is a clueless DC

+1

Roswell777
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
The Giant D has been very subpar two regular seasons in a row. The talent is there, the schemes are not. It's not all on Fewell but I would welcome a change to a more aggressive D coordinator who realizes that if the front four isn't getting pressure then be more inventive. They seem very predictable and not adaptable.

rar57
12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
I love to see Eli in an offense like what the Saints run. I think Gilbride is a good oc but I think Coghlan somewhat ties his hands with his mandate of running the ball, even when you can't. Play action will not work,without some type of run game, but the Saints and Partriots pass first, play to their strengths, and run the ball late if they can. This will not happen with the Giants unless Coghlan totally changes his mindset of offense. If you have dominant lines, you can play an offense like the Giants run. However when talent is as good, or better, you must take advantage of mismatches and establish the running game later. I am concerned that Coghlan apparently is not concerned with the coordinators enough to even entertain the idea of replacing them. If you cnntinue to do the same thing, over and over, the results are going to be the same. I am afraid the front office has developed a comfort level with Coghlan and staff and are happy with the results.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
No surprises but I really wish there was a way that the Giants could hire Lovie Smith in some capacity. He's developed some really fine LBs in this modern version of the NFL (Urlacher, Briggs, Fletcher, etc) and if we did take an early round LB, he could mold him into a real stud.Would be nice, but he's already gotten four HC interviews.

bigblue58
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM

greeeeat....the delayed draw for 3 yards on 3rd and 16...... and the blind leading the blind D are here for the long term.......just wonderful f'king news!!!!

The_ One
12-31-2012, 07:57 PM
It's on the players, not the coaches, it's not the coaches that kept missing open field tackles, all a coach can do is prepare you for the game, it's up to the player to get on the field and execute, and our players did not do what was EXPECTED of them. Everyone stop blaming the coaches, these are the same coaches that we won the SB with last year, but last year, the players performed "at least the last six games". We lost two games this year by a combined 4 points, a few made plays and we could have won those two and would have won the division and be in the playoffs, but that is the name of the game people, can't win them every year. Two SB championships in the last five years is fantastic, typical NY'ers expecting to win the SB every year, if you are from Mars then maybe yes, not on this planet.

mike kennedy
12-31-2012, 07:58 PM

Stubborn Old Fart!

Flip Empty
12-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, Fewell told the d-line to give up and the secondary to get injured.

nycsportzfan
12-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Well said. We won the sb last year though so they won't get axed(maybe Fewell will please god). I really don't think our personnel is as bad as some make it out. Yup.. I appreciate the SB's, but i'm the type of guy that just excepts seasons of collapses and underachievment becuase of SB wins.. It dosen't give u a bye on making the postseason when u absoulutley are cap strapped and loaded with talent.. I mean, u don't have teams built to make postseason and a QB who can win a SB all the time.. U gotta do as much as u can, when u have the players and team in place, as at any time, u can go on a cowboy like drought and 49ers like drought and chicago bears like drought and etc..etc..

U win and make the postseason a gazillion times in a row if u can.. No collapse is OK.. Let alone having more then one 2nd half collapse in a short span of yrs.. Who knows when we'll have a team that starts 6-2 again? U just never know..

THis is a punishable offense, and the perfect oppurtunity to show the OLD GUARD its not OK to turn it on and turn it off when ever u want.. Were the NY Freaking Giants for peats sake! We don't just shrug collapses and wasted seasons off with "oh well's"...

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 08:02 PM
I agree with you!
I don't understand how Coughlin can possibly reconcile this decision when he fired Bill Sheridan for a virtual carbon copy defensive collapse??
Whether it's refusing to play guys like Barden in favor of a hobbled ineffective Nicks, or calling for a flea flicker or some other surprise play to get the offense going when we need a spark, this is the maddening stubbornness of Coughlin that I believe is negatively affecting this team.
This was disheartening news to read after what a disaster the D was all year.

How many Super Bowl's did Sheridan win? Fewell's defense last year and this year were virtual carbon copies. When the "Fearsome Foursome" turned into the "Gruesome Twosome" we didn't get the job done. That is not Fewell's fault, it's what happens to players and you can't see it coming.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 08:06 PM
I love to see Eli in an offense like what the Saints run. I think Gilbride is a good oc but I think Coghlan somewhat ties his hands with his mandate of running the ball, even when you can't. Play action will not work,without some type of run game, but the Saints and Partriots pass first, play to their strengths, and run the ball late if they can. This will not happen with the Giants unless Coghlan totally changes his mindset of offense. If you have dominant lines, you can play an offense like the Giants run. However when talent is as good, or better, you must take advantage of mismatches and establish the running game later. I am concerned that Coghlan apparently is not concerned with the coordinators enough to even entertain the idea of replacing them. If you cnntinue to do the same thing, over and over, the results are going to be the same. I am afraid the front office has developed a comfort level with Coghlan and staff and are happy with the results.

What mandate is that?

Redeyejedi
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
This team has too much talent to only make the playoffs just once in the last 4 seasons.

I suppose you would turn down Chip Kelly over Gilbride, but I'm so done with Gilbride and his inconsistencies.

Fewell is not even a question, just leave Fewell.Do U watch College Football? How is Chip Kelly going to run his Offense with Eli Manning. I swear u guys have no idea what your talking about. Also Chip Kelly is not leaving College Football to be an OC so u have to fire Coughlin for a College coach who has no track record. Do u guys actually look at what you type because its based on zero reason or logic

gmen46
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
http://youtu.be/HY-03vYYAjA

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Do U watch College Football? How is Chip Kelly going to run his Offense with Eli Manning. I swear u guys have no idea what your talking about. Also Chip Kelly is not leaving College Football to be an OC so u have to fire Coughlin for a College coach who has no track record. Do u guys actually look at what you type because its based on zero reason or logic I think it has more of an addition by subtraction with Gilbride leaving.

giantsfan420
12-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Eli better get his **** together because next year, the defense won't be doing him any favors.bc they were so giving in 2011 and this year right? defense stopped doing anyone favors beside the opposing offense a couple years ago...

Blue in Oz
12-31-2012, 08:27 PM
I find that Fewell's system only works when we have a potent pass rush and good corners. This season it wasn't working as Tuck is....ugh, and all of our corners were hurt.

Redeyejedi
12-31-2012, 08:28 PM
The Giant D has been very subpar two regular seasons in a row. The talent is there, the schemes are not. It's not all on Fewell but I would welcome a change to a more aggressive D coordinator who realizes that if the front four isn't getting pressure then be more inventive. They seem very predictable and not adaptable.I disagree the talent is there. Osi and Tuck have nothing left the CB's are a below average group, They have the worst MLB's in the entire NFL. Rolle is continuously out of position . The DT group has no depth. The talent on Defense is very overrated by this fan base

BigBlue1971
12-31-2012, 08:32 PM
its a 32 team league. sometimes you figure teams out; sometimes teams figure you out!

its a thin line between winners and losers!

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 08:34 PM
It's pretty funny that some of you expected ANY of the coaching staff would be fired. The biggest issues of all were the line play on both sides of the ball.....simple as that. When Eli gets pressured he makes bad throws....always has. When the d-line doesn't get pressure the entire defense suffers. Tuck and Osi are mere shells of their former glory days....people get old and broken down.

Time to rebuild those 2 key issues. Everything will fall into place.

BINGO

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 08:35 PM
Eli better get his **** together because next year, Killdrive won't be doing him any favors.

Fixed

JustinTuckNYG91
12-31-2012, 08:37 PM
I disagree the talent is there. Osi and Tuck have nothing left the CB's are a below average group, They have the worst MLB's in the entire NFL. Rolle is continuously out of position . The DT group has no depth. The talent on Defense is very overrated by this fan base The way to easily stop our supposed great D-Line, pass rush is to double team JPP. That's all it takes as no one else has stepped it up this year.

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't know if Eli makes bad throws when pressured is an accurate statement. He was pressured on the Manningham throw, he was constantly pressured in the NFCCG last year. and make great throws. Let's not forget the tyree helmet catch. The throws against Dallas, the deep pass to cruz. Eli is one of the best at hanging in, making the throw while getting hit. Rather, It's that our receivers had trouble getting separation because other teams knew what we were doing. They were practically waiting for the ball to arrive before our WRs got there.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Do U watch College Football? How is Chip Kelly going to run his Offense with Eli Manning. I swear u guys have no idea what your talking about. Also Chip Kelly is not leaving College Football to be an OC so u have to fire Coughlin for a College coach who has no track record. Do u guys actually look at what you type because its based on zero reason or logic
What do you mean how? Do you think Chip Kelly is going to be less adapt than Gilbride? Do you think Chip Kelly won't be able to work with a QB caliber that of Eli? Why do you think Chip Kelly is a one trick monkey? Oh we all know Gilbride is a one trick monkey, that's why he has failed in San Diego and Buffalo and Pittsburg. The only reason he even has a job is a connection with Coughlin, and Eli being the QB. Gilbride is a SCRUB.

ALLnygIN
12-31-2012, 09:44 PM
hopefully these two "coordinators" will learn to utilize there players for a whole season not just a few games , I just want a solid season from start to end next year, and for these two clowns to mix it up a little

KillaRich
12-31-2012, 10:17 PM
This giants defense is so screwed next year

brad
12-31-2012, 10:24 PM
I disagree the talent is there. Osi and Tuck have nothing left the CB's are a below average group, They have the worst MLB's in the entire NFL. Rolle is continuously out of position . The DT group has no depth. The talent on Defense is very overrated by this fan base

If you are right, and it is talent that is the problem, not the way they are being used... we are in for a lot of mediocre seasons ahead. This team is way over the cap now and it isn't going to improve for a few years. That means we are stuck with little talent and no way to acquire anyone except the draft. Might as well trade away the little talent we have for draft picks and go with a youth movement.

... or, it could be that the bend don't break defense has never been very good and never will be, and the way to fix that would be to make better use of the talent the team does have. I like my approach better.

radar-ray
12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
If you are right, and it is talent that is the problem, not the way they are being used... we are in for a lot of mediocre seasons ahead. This team is way over the cap now and it isn't going to improve for a few years. That means we are stuck with little talent and no way to acquire anyone except the draft. Might as well trade away the little talent we have for draft picks and go with a youth movement.

... or, it could be that the bend don't break defense has never been very good and never will be, and the way to fix that would be to make better use of the talent the team does have. I like my approach better.Brad, you are correct. The "read/react" (Rod Rust, Johnnie Lynn, Tim Lewis) system has always stunk up Giants team D. Never worked, never will. When PF simplfied the D and got more aggressive the last few games of last season & playoffs the D played great. Same as in the last Philly game. Not saying we don't need to beef up the DT, LB and CB position, because we do.

thegreatone
12-31-2012, 10:35 PM

... or, it could be that the bend don't break defense has never been very good and never will be, and the way to fix that would be to make better use of the talent the team does have. I like my approach better.I like your approach better as well. A great coach can motivate mediocre men to do great things. A bad coach can have the complete opposite effect taking great talent and producing mediocre results. This is a talented D IMO just poor scheme and poor preparation. Fewell had no business being brought in here from buffalo where he did nothing.

brad
12-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Brad, you are correct. The "read/react" (Rod Rust, Johnnie Lynn, Tim Lewis) system has always stunk up Giants team D. Never worked, never will. When PF simplfied the D and got more aggressive the last few games of last season & playoffs the D played great. Same as in the last Philly game. Not saying we don't need to beef up the DT, LB and CB position, because we do.

I am all for improving talent as well... you can always improve, just a little annoyed by those that believe the talent on this team is worse than 30 other teams in the NFL.. just not buying that.

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 11:20 PM
This giants defense is so screwed next yearWe'll be this year's saints lol

gumby74
12-31-2012, 11:28 PM
I am all for improving talent as well... you can always improve, just a little annoyed by those that believe the talent on this team is worse than 30 other teams in the NFL.. just not buying that.

This is my biggest gripe as well. Your defense should play to the level of your talent.

M00KIE
01-01-2013, 06:17 AM
I'm happy with that to be honest. I don't like coaching changes unless the problems are glaringly scheme related. We saw what the schemes look like when executed in years past and most of this year. I'm on the "players not executing" side for the most part. Although I do agree Fewell and KG both make me scratch my head sometimes, but we're never going to be 100% pleased with anyone we get.

speedman
01-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Did you like the defense in the playoffs last season? It's the same scheme but players executed. I'll give Fewell the benefit of the doubt this season, as like many here the defense was an utter joke this season. But we are all quick to point the finger at the DC instead of looking at the main issue, the players. Poor tackling isn't Fewells fault, missing assignments is not Fewells fault. Not beating your man in the trenches is not Fewells fault. The thing that Fewell doesn't do we'll is adjusting to what's going on in the game. Minor detail ( he can't make in game adjustments).

Diamondring
01-01-2013, 07:22 AM

... or, it could be that the bend don't break defense has never been very good and never will be, and the way to fix that would be to make better use of the talent the team does have. I like my approach better.There are teams with low budget doing well and many of them are build on later picks anyway.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 08:23 AM
This giants defense is so screwed next year

I don't think so. We came into this season expecting Tuck and Osi to be Osi and Tuck. That clearly didn't happen. When you draw up your master plan expecting the "Fearsome Foursome" and you wind up getting the "Troublesome Twosome" that is not something you could have foreseen. NO ONE here would have predicted Osi and Tuck would have played as they did in 2012.

Now we know and we can make personnel adjustments accordingly.

TomCat_FIN
01-01-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't have a problem with Fewell. He couldn't do anything about the fact that the defensive line couldn't create any pressure and that the linebackers couldn't stop the run.

Gilbride on the other hand,...fell in love with the deep pass too much and called some mind-boggling plays like a draw from the shotgun on 3rd and long and 5 yard passing plays on 3rd and 9. I think this team needs a new OC.

Shockeystays08
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm ok with Perry for now. Gilbride is just a tunnel visioned dweeb he can't adjust or be creative. He has an old playbook that has been memorized by the opposition. He will again be our weakest link. His resume benefits from David Terrells circus helmet catch and the pinpoint throw and outlandish catch by Manningham that helped us win our Super Bowls. Without those two close calls that came out in our favor Gilbride is with another team and Eli is not in the elite discussion. It is what it is and it seems Gilbrides weaknesses will continue to be tolerated by Coughlin. I wish Coach C would call it a career. What he got out of his team when we needed it ( Ravens and Falcons) was nothing but pathetic. But going out with a lopsided win against a lousy 4 win team with nothing to play for clouds are real problems.