PDA

View Full Version : The Seats are Starting to get Hot

Riverboat76
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Those would be the seats directly under Fewell, Gilbride, Coughlin...and Reese. I wanted change this offseason (how great would Lovie Smith look as the DC?) but that's not coming. As I mentioned in another thread, that Philly game is fool's gold. It ends the season on somewhat of an upswing when everybody in the organization should be embarrassed that they choked up yet another big division lead. We should be upset at our coaches for bad scheming. We should be upset that a team that has the talent to dominate some of the best teams in the league also has the ability to be dominated by anybody in the league. We should be upset that Eli and JPP regressed this year. We should be upset that they played guys like Webster, Osi, Tuck and Nicks a little too much when it was obvious they were hurt or terribly ineffective but the young guys like Wilson and Randle not enough when they proved at the end (a little too late) that they could help.

Another year out of the playoffs in 2013 would be 4 out of 5 which will get most regimes canned, Superbowl or Not. The Giants should have an easier division next year with Washington being the only threat and Dallas and Philly on the decline. The Giants won't have to contend with a first-place schedule. They won't have to worry about a Super Bowl hangover, unfortunately. There should be no excuses in 2013.

Morehead State
12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Those would be the seats directly under Fewell, Gilbride, Coughlin...and Reese. I wanted change this offseason (how great would Lovie Smith look as the DC?) but that's not coming. As I mentioned in another thread, that Philly game is fool's gold. It ends the season on somewhat of an upswing when everybody in the organization should be embarrassed that they choked up yet another big division lead. We should be upset at our coaches for bad scheming. We should be upset that a team that has the talent to dominate some of the best teams in the league also has the ability to be dominated by anybody in the league. We should be upset that Eli and JPP regressed this year. We should be upset that they played guys like Webster, Osi, Tuck and Nicks a little too much when it was obvious they were hurt or terribly ineffective but the young guys like Wilson and Randle not enough when they proved at the end (a little too late) that they could help.

Another year out of the playoffs in 2013 would be 4 out of 5 which will get most regimes canned, Superbowl or Not. The Giants should have an easier division next year with Washington being the only threat and Dallas and Philly on the decline. The Giants won't have to contend with a first-place schedule. They won't have to worry about a Super Bowl hangover, unfortunately. There should be no excuses in 2013.

Seats don't get hot, one year removed from a SB win. Its not like we were 4-12 for God's sake.

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Everyone's job is safe and will be for a long time, even if we collapse again next year.

giant-4-life
12-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Everyone's job is safe and will be for a long time, even if we collapse again next year.

with that being said, NOTHING will change but (maybe) players. killdrive and fewell will stay unless coughlin pulls his head out of his butt long enough to get oxygen to his brain and see that his OC and DC sucked and change them outwith fresh blood

G-MENBK
12-31-2012, 04:16 PM

Sheridan got fired after an abysmal second half collapse. Coughlin may be safe, but I can't say the same for Gilbride and Fewell.

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Sheridan got fired after an abysmal second half collapse. Coughlin may be safe, but I can't say the same for Gilbride and Fewell.Since Gilbride has been the OC since Eli started here he isn't going anywhere but Fewell on the other hand is replaceable.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 07:08 PM
Which would you like? Would like like fries with that?

NYG4lifeNYK
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Let me be clear I LOVE COUGHLIN and absolutely want him as our HC until he's ready to retire on his terms.

Coughlin is a GREAT head coach and a great coach period.

But if there's one knock on him it's not knowing when to say goodbye. His loyalties cloud his judgement. I'm not saying I know how to run a football team and all the intricacies it entails but sometimes whats staring you in the face is that cut and dry.

It's like having that girlfriend you can't stand anymore, the sex is terrible, all she does is PMS all the time but you don't have the heart to end the relationship.

Fewell is a decent to average to mediocre DC. I'll admit at times Fewell can call an absolute genius scheme. The problem is that only happens maybe 5 or 6 games a season... the other 10 or so games you're left wondering, what??? He makes VERY little in game adjustments, continues to ignore our strengths(bringing more than 4), continues to let receivers get a free release off the line and up to top speed essentially every snap... he's not terrible but he gets out coached FAR too often. When we get punched in the mouth for a quick 7-0 or 14-0 deficit he has no way of picking our guys back up and getting them to play hard and giving them the proper scheme for success.

I'm not an idiot, all the bad plays aren't on him, probably most of it is execution however they go hand in hand and in fact scheme and game plan rank higher than execution. It's not like we don't have the talent and he's being asked to cook a four course meal from scratch with only two ingredients.

Gilbride... Gilbride, Gilbride, Gilbride... Gilly is a stubborn good to average OC. Differs from game to game. This man has the most talent of any unit on our team. His play calling is so vanilla and one dimensional it makes 1+1 look complex. It's unbelievable that we still cannot get with the times. No huddle to us is a foreign language. Hurry up offense means getting the play in with 8 seconds to spare instead of 5. The sight adjustment bs is so played out and so predictable that teams are actually baiting us and forcing us into the routes they want our receivers to run. We saw it in the Eagles, Falcons and Ravens games. Asante Samuel knows this offense better than anybody on our team including Gilbride. He taught the Falcons the ins and outs down to every minor detail of our game plan and they made us look down right foolish. It was so bad that you would of thought the Falcons were on offense with Eli rather than the other way around. That's no exaggeration.

We rarely run a hot route, a wheel route, a slant, a screen with proper blocking...... everything is predicated on Eli Manning and "the big play". NOTHING EVER comes easy. When do you ever see us throw it outside and pick up an 8-10 yard gain unless the moon is blue? There's very few blue moons in East Rutherford. Our blocking is atrocious. The defense always flies to the football whenever we attempt to run one.

Why is it that our receivers ALWAYS have to beat their man and make a SPECTACULAR grab deep down the field in order to move the chains? Run, run, pass in the red zone when the run isn't working derails the offense in SO many ways. Why don't we ever dink and dunk to move the ball. Hynoski has good hands and is pretty agile to pick up ample yards after the catch. The Saints hardly ever run the ball, they utilize the short pass as their run game. The most annoying thing for a defense, the most obnoxious thing for a defense is to constantly allow short 4-5 yard completions in succession with no clue how to stop it. 1st down. Gee that was too easy.

If we mix in the short stuff with the deep ball, offenses will have to come closer to the box which will then open up the deep routes.

But what do I know.... I'm just a guy voicing my opinion on a message board.

I do watch this team in and our every single season and other teams religiously and I see what works and what doesn't. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a coaching guru to know that if your offense can't get into a damn rhythm maybe you should try something to give the offense a jolt...

Perhaps get the plays in quicker and allow the QB to use the cadence and throw off the defenses timing.
Perhaps I don't know run the offense in hurry up mode to put the defense on it's heels a bit and confuse them or at the very least give yourself any advantage possible even if it is very minute.

Can we win with Gilbride?, Sure, as painful as that may be sometimes. Win despite him is probably a better term.
Can we win despite Fewell? Not unless our players are executing at the highest level. That should not be.

We have way too much superior talent on both sides of the ball to be settling for mediocrity even for one season. Missing the playoffs is completely unacceptable with the type of team we have in such a WEAK division and if you don't agree and you think that's a spoiled outlook to have you're completely off base or your standards aren't high enough. Dallas and Philly were a JOKE this season. We should not be having mid season collapses set on a timer each year.

Anyway that's my rant. If you read it thanks, love to hear your thoughts, if not that's fine too.
I'm just sick of inconsistent incompetence.

Coaching should be an afterthought...

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 08:17 PM
l agree with you but this again???????? C'mon man!

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 08:32 PM
I agree with this, the fact that TC wants his coaches back shows that we aren't about to make any changes, be it personnel or play calling. What I really hate is that we may have to go through another year of 9 wins and a lot of praying to make the post season. I for one have seen enough the last 4 years to not be blinded by our sb win. We are a 9 win team with these coordinators and a 12 win team with a competent OC. I blame the cincy and PIt game on our OC. We already knew Cincy can bring pressure and they were practically camped in our back field yet this OC failed to make any adjustments even though we had success on the drive right before the half with the hurry up offense. His failure to see what worked and what didn't work ultimately cost us the game because we were still in it in the 3rd quarter. We also had a 10 lead against Pit and we went 3 and out the entire 4th quarter because he couldn't see that David Diehl was a turnstile. The Washington game was also on him, Eli had 200 yards at half and he decide to run the ball the 2nd half and have eli throw just 11 times, this is just idiotic.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-31-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree with this, the fact that TC wants his coaches back shows that we aren't about to make any changes, be it personnel or play calling. What I really hate is that we may have to go through another year of 9 wins and a lot of praying to make the post season. I for one have seen enough the last 4 years to not be blinded by our sb win. We are a 9 win team with these coordinators and a 12 win team with a competent OC. I blame the cincy and PIt game on our OC. We already knew Cincy can bring pressure and they were practically camped in our back field yet this OC failed to make any adjustments even though we had success on the drive right before the half with the hurry up offense. His failure to see what worked and what didn't work ultimately cost us the game because we were still in it in the 3rd quarter. We also had a 10 lead against Pit and we went 3 and out the entire 4th quarter because he couldn't see that David Diehl was a turnstile. The Washington game was also on him, Eli had 200 yards at half and he decide to run the ball the 2nd half and have eli throw just 11 times, this is just idiotic.

If Gilbride doesn't open up the playbook we will miss or struggle to make the playoffs again next year.

Well said.

This whole loyalty and seniority within the entire organization is absurd beyond belief.

David Diehl's performance was abysmal this year an yet he got the nod SOLELY because it was his starting position and he's back from injury? How does that make any sense whosoever? Locklear was pretty damn great at RT this season but unfortunately for us and the teams success he was supplanted on the bench for a veteran whose performance was one of the worst in the entire league. Again that is not an exaggeration.

There is no excuse for not playing the better, HEALTHIER more talented player if they are ready and competent. Locklear was not a rookie, it's not like he was missing assignments or didn't know his responsibilities(the excuse for Wilson & Randle). Locklear is a seasoned vet who performed admirably and was rewarded by being benched.

The thing that kills me is Diehl still wasn't even 100% and they still allowed him back into the rotation. Asinine. Just completely asinine.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Regarding Fewell. How does a defense how constant, numerous mislapses and miscommunications every game on defense two consecutive years in a row?

Here's our defensive ranking with Fewell.

2011: points (25th), yards (27th) (We won games because Eli put the entire team on his back)
2012: points (12th), yards (31st) ...that points margin is so misleading

So now we're stuck with him for 2013 because we won a Super Bowl with him and rewarded him an extension 2011.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 08:59 PM
The Diehl thing is a good point, same goes to the Nicks situation, which is even more of a head-scratcher as Randle was quite capable, and Barden was also available, and they only used Barden in Carolina game, what the hell is that about.

Hey maybe Coughlin is losing edge, he's old you know, same with Gilbride, they just don't look very sharp any more.

DarkSaint
12-31-2012, 09:00 PM
All I can do is shake my head, I don't see a change unless TC is gone or if these guys are offered HC positions.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Hey maybe Coughlin is losing edge, he's old you know, same with Gilbride, they just don't look very sharp any more.

I think Coughlin hates youth. He's become a curmudgeon coach, wanting to stick it to young whippersnappers. The (relatively) older players get so much leeway with regards to fumbles, missed blocks, and dropped passes, while there is a zero-tolerance policy towards the rookies. I'm so sick of it. Enforcing a zero-tolerance policy is one thing, but being a MASSIVE HYPOCRITE is a whole different story...

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 09:08 PM
I think Coughlin hates youth. He's become a curmudgeon coach, wanting to stick it to young whippersnappers. The (relatively) older players get so much leeway with regards to fumbles, missed blocks, and dropped passes, while there is a zero-tolerance policy towards the rookies. I'm so sick of it. Enforcing a zero-tolerance policy is one thing, but being a MASSIVE HYPOCRITE is a whole different story...lol

NYG4lifeNYK
12-31-2012, 09:09 PM
The Diehl thing is a good point, same goes to the Nicks situation, which is even more of a head-scratcher as Randle was quite capable, and Barden was also available, and they only used Barden in Carolina game, what the hell is that about.

I don't think Coughlin has lost anything.

I love EVERYTHING about this organization and it's class. But there's class and then there's class to a fault. When that tradition starts to hinder your team you need to take a look in the mirror.

AntB
12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
I think that we should be proud to have a 78 y/o couch just one year removed from a Super Bowl win. I see a problem with loyalty maybe when not being able to know when a player is just to injured to be out there eeven though the heart and the will is there like maybe Bradshaw and Nicks a few times this year. If the subs are that bad that you can't trust them at all when the starter is obviously not capable then we might as well not have them.

SuperNYGiants
12-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Ok maybe not Coughlin, but Gilbride clearly has gone senile. Only a god damn moron would call a pass play where losing any more yards would make take it out of the field goal range, a.k.a. Philly game debacle. In many other games Gilbride was calling plays as if he was brain-dead, often calling the same exact play back to back.

ashleymarie
12-31-2012, 09:23 PM

He is old is correct. Coughlin is on an Island, in his head. He has gone around the bend somewhat. Not always, he is lucid most times. But when needed he is not always there. He's alone on that Island, where our football team does not reach his cerebral. He is only going to get worse.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I think that we should be proud to have a 78 y/o couch just one year removed from a Super Bowl win. I see a problem with loyalty maybe when not being able to know when a player is just to injured to be out there eeven though the heart and the will is there like maybe Bradshaw and Nicks a few times this year. If the subs are that bad that you can't trust them at all when the starter is obviously not capable then we might as well not have them.

Who's 78?

drewz
12-31-2012, 09:35 PM
If we underachieve next year, it better had be a reason other than Fewell, Gilbride, Tuck, Webster since it seems like Reese is bringing all 4 back