PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco to release RB Brandon Jacobs

gian_18778
12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120476/article/san-francisco-49ers-to-release-brandon-jacobs

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 03:39 PM
good, now he'll retire a Giant.

P_Simms_#11
12-31-2012, 03:40 PM
good, now he'll retire a Giant.

After one more season with Giants? He should be well rested.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-31-2012, 03:41 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120476/article/san-francisco-49ers-to-release-brandon-jacobs

one year, vet minimum,,welcome back brandon,,,yes he is a bit of a whiner but he has the fire and passion this team was lacking this year,,,plus he is better than lumpkin and torrain.

jakegibbs
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM

sign him up ASAP before it's too late.

GameTime
12-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Harbaugh is a ******.......too bad Jacobs wasted his time thhere....

gian_18778
12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Bradshaw----Jacobs---Wilson, I like..

P_Simms_#11
12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Harbaugh is a ******.......too bad Jacobs wasted his time thhere....

He's a few bricks shy of a full load.

GameTime
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
He's a few bricks shy of a full load.

yep....dude has Wackjob written all over him....

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Haha clever for Harbaugh to wait until after we're eliminated from playoff contention to cut Jacobs. It may be coincidental, but I think it's plausible.

dakotajoe
12-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Brown?

GiantsYanks
12-31-2012, 03:48 PM

Over Brown? Nah I'd rather stick with what we have. Brown is young and hungry to prove that he can be a good back in this league.

Depth Chart
1. Wilson
2. Bradshaw/Brown splitting third down duties.

GameTime
12-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Haha clever for Harbaugh to wait until after we're eliminated from playoff contention to cut Jacobs. It may be coincidental, but I think it's plausible.
No doubt.....plus Jacobs gets no $$ benefits from playoff wins or a possible SB

BigBlueAllDay
12-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Called it weeks ago. They signed Jacobs specifically just to keep him away the Giants and once the Giants are no longer a threat in the playoffs, they don't need him anymore. All thats left is a unkind losers card to the Giants FO from an anonymous person in SF that couldn't get over last season's NFC championship game. lol

Drez
12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Doesn't matter. Any player cut after 12/29 can't be assigned to another team until after the SB. Wouldn't have mattered if we were in it or not.

G-MENBK
12-31-2012, 03:52 PM
Nothing against the guy but when Manningham got hurt, I said to myself "GOOD!" **** Harbaugh.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots don't sign Ballard this upcoming off-season; another bull**** move designed just to stick it to the Giants.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Doesn't matter. Any player cut after 12/29 can't be assigned to another team until after the SB. Wouldn't have mattered if we were in it or not.Oh really? Didn't know that. Interesting though.

rtlax
12-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Lets welcome Brandon home. Who knows if we have a guy go down next year we could bring him back if this is really it for Brandon. We really missed his fiery persona this year. There is something to be said about a big angry rb who hated everyone not wearing blue.

titwio
12-31-2012, 03:55 PM
For those wanting Jacobs back it would likely mean they cut Scott. Would you rather sign Jacobs for 1 or 2 years (about what he has left) or cut Da'Rel Scott (who's younger, has upside and plays ST's)?

EliDaMANning
12-31-2012, 03:58 PM
He can pass protect better than any RB we throw out there. He's worth the vet. min. on that alone.

B-Red22
12-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Called it weeks ago. They signed Jacobs specifically just to keep him away the Giants and once the Giants are no longer a threat in the playoffs, they don't need him anymore. All thats left is a unkind losers card to the Giants FO from an anonymous person in SF that couldn't get over last season's NFC championship game. lol

Yes because our offense clearly revolved around jacobs the niners knew we would be doomed without him

GentleGiant
12-31-2012, 04:04 PM
BRING HIM BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gian_18778
12-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Over Brown? Nah I'd rather stick with what we have. Brown is young and hungry to prove that he can be a good back in this league.

Depth Chart
1. Wilson
2. Bradshaw/Brown splitting third down duties.

Brown's rash of injuries have me in favor of Jacobs. I like Brown, not sure how he can hold up over the season.

Drez
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Oh really? Didn't know that. Interesting though.
Yeah, MG tweeted something about it half hour ago or so.

Drez
12-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Brown's rash of injuries have me in favor of Jacobs. I like Brown, not sure how he can hold up over the season.
He had a concussion and a broken leg. Both of which nothing can really be done about.

giants8493
12-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Brown's rash of injuries have me in favor of Jacobs. I like Brown, not sure how he can hold up over the season.Browns going to be flipping burger s while watching the giants play next year

Cloud57
12-31-2012, 04:14 PM
I thing he should sign a one day deal and retire a Giant. I don't want the tip toe burglar back, despite his success over the years he's old and slow now.

Zaggs
Leave Jacobs where ever he is. He ain't what he used to be and is only effective now behind a good to great line. Takes him too long to get up to speed. Giants would be much better off sticking to the 3 backs they have then bring BJ back.

Cloud57
Browns going to be flipping burger s while watching the giants play next yearlol that should be half of this team

BigBlue1971
12-31-2012, 04:25 PM
i love Jacobs and believe he made a mistake signing with the 9ers in the 1st place. money is not everything!

hopefully he will come back with us for a coupla of years then retire as a Giant!

it might be tough to get playing time tho......if he even makes the team!

Die-Hard
12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
I'd be utterly floored if the Giants brought him back. It wouldn't make sense, since he doesn't run like he used to, he's going to want to get paid, and his big mouth is more trouble than it's worth. Paying a guy to block, be a cheerleader, and not play ST's is a waste of a roster spot, not to mention a waste of money. They need production, and he didn't produce, which is why he was cut in the first place. If he wanted to stay, he should have swallowd his pride and took the 500k less that the Giants offered him at the time.

gmen0820
12-31-2012, 04:37 PM
I'd be utterly floored if the Giants brought him back. It wouldn't make sense, since he doesn't run like he used to, he's going to want to get paid, and his big mouth is more trouble than it's worth. Paying a guy to block, be a cheerleader, and not play ST's is a waste of a roster spot, not to mention a waste of money. They need production, and he didn't produce, which is why he was cut in the first place. If he wanted to stay, he should have swallowd his pride and took the 500k less that the Giants offered him at the time.Yeah, I can't see it either. Had he been cut midseason when we were in contention and in need of a RB, then yeah I'd say a return was imminent.

Moving forward though, I can't see us signing him to anything other than a 1-day ceremonial contract.

gfanblue
12-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Bradshaw----Jacobs---Wilson, I like..Brown, wilson , jacobs

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 04:49 PM

Bradshaw----Wilson----Brown, I like better. 8-)

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 04:53 PM
Offer him a vet min deal and let him compete. If he can beat out Scott at least... welcome back. Otherwise, at least he can retire a Giant.

Personally, I'd be okay with Brown/Wilson/Bradshaw/Jacobs as our backfield. Bradshaw might be a decent pass protector, but Jacobs in his prime made linebackers afraid to blitz. Sure he's nothing like that now, but he could still bring something to the table.

Just imagine if we could somehow pit the 2007 team against the 1986 team. Jacobs holding off LT would be the battle of the ages on every passing down. LT would win it 90% of the time, of course, but that's not knocking the fact that it would be an epic all-out brawl...

thomasjmarino
12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Nothing against the guy but when Manningham got hurt, I said to myself "GOOD!" **** Harbaugh.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots don't sign Ballard this upcoming off-season; another bull**** move designed just to stick it to the Giants.

Harbaugh + Bellichick = weasel

NorwoodBlue
12-31-2012, 05:02 PM
The Giants may invite jacobs to camp; but I seriously doubt it, if they do I doubt he makes the team. He's just plain past the expiration date of the modern running back. He's too slow, and lacks the power and strength he once had.

Ladder27
12-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I'd be utterly floored if the Giants brought him back. It wouldn't make sense, since he doesn't run like he used to, he's going to want to get paid, and his big mouth is more trouble than it's worth. Paying a guy to block, be a cheerleader, and not play ST's is a waste of a roster spot, not to mention a waste of money. They need production, and he didn't produce, which is why he was cut in the first place. If he wanted to stay, he should have swallowd his pride and took the 500k less that the Giants offered him at the time.

Jacobs was a great leader, everyone on the field this year with a C on their chest are mice. Jacobs at least would get people fired up during a game and get people motivated. As for losing a step yea he may but how much was pass protection brought up this year. We all know he could pass protect. I would sign him and release Scott, just for the fact if Brown not knowing if he can make it thru a full season. Scott can't eather as we could tell. At least with Jacobs you don't have to wait another 2 years till he learns the offense. We are not going out a drafting another RB this year when we need everything else.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 05:07 PM
The Giants may invite jacobs to camp; but I seriously doubt it, if they do I doubt he makes the team. He's just plain past the expiration date of the modern running back. He's too slow, and lacks the power and strength he once had.

Reese gave him a rather generous deal given his declining stats, and he declined it to go to SF. And based on the way he was treated in SF, I think BJ has been regretting that decision ever since. Jacobs would be chomping at the bit for a vet min deal from the Giants. Whether he'd make it through camp is another story, but can he really be worse than Da'Rel Scott, even at this point in his career?

radar-ray
12-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Jacobs was a great leader, everyone on the field this year with a C on their chest are mice. Jacobs at least would get people fired up during a game and get people motivated. As for losing a step yea he may but how much was pass protection brought up this year. We all know he could pass protect. I would sign him and release Scott, just for the fact if Brown not knowing if he can make it thru a full season. Scott can't eather as we could tell. At least with Jacobs you don't have to wait another 2 years till he learns the offense. We are not going out a drafting another RB this year when we need everything else. I agree, bring him into camp. Bradshaw and brown are health question marks. BJ would have fired up this complacent bunch this year.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm not saying release scott outright, but DO give jacobs a chance to compete for a job.

Gmen2005
12-31-2012, 05:21 PM
No thanks. We have better talent at the RB on this roster.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 05:23 PM
No thanks. We have better talent at the RB on this roster.

Is Da'Rel Scott better?

davepc
12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm not saying release scott outright, but DO give jacobs a chance to compete for a job.

Yes, what this team needs is more old, slow, broken down, injury prone players past their prime.

Sign him up!

NorwoodBlue
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes, what this team needs is more old, slow, broken down, injury prone players past their prime.

Sign him up!

Are you talking about the Yankees?

radar-ray
12-31-2012, 06:01 PM

Sign him up! BJ was healthy ofr us in 2011, so for 500k or less I love his blocking, and fire. Also, BJ is not slow, he's not quick.

jaxnygmen
12-31-2012, 06:18 PM
To much of a yapper to let back into the team!! Move forward. Brown, Wilson and Bradshaw are strong enough. Let's sure up other areas. Jacobs was a decent giant and let it stay that way.

Harooni
12-31-2012, 06:27 PM
BJ has banged up knees. he also would require a vet min that is more than should be spent on his risk. he was great when he was here but you have to look at the value and roster and cap space

chuckedafter5yards
12-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Sign him, right away- he is the fight we missed. Anyone who has seen pregame knows the Beast that if Brandon Jacobs. He may be a role player but he is very good in pass protection.

radar-ray
12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
BJ has banged up knees. he also would require a vet min that is more than should be spent on his risk. he was great when he was here but you have to look at the value and roster and cap space Agree, the budget is paramont since we have so many personnel issues to deal with. i would give him a shot if the $$ were workable. AB & AB have worse physical issues.

Harooni
12-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Agree, the budget is paramont since we have so many personnel issues to deal with. i would give him a shot if the $$ were workable. AB & AB have worse physical issues. yep, we have so many guys under performing banged up and getting huge cap $$$$. reese has his work cut out for him this offseason.

chuckedafter5yards
12-31-2012, 06:43 PM
I would take his heart anytime.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 07:00 PM
sign him up ASAP before it's too late.

Why?

rar57
12-31-2012, 07:12 PM
He is over the hill, let him retire as a Giant. He did not play this year because he could not crack the 3 deep line up. Move on with younger talent. This is a business and Reese wil not bring him back other than to retire.

I Bleed Blue 56
12-31-2012, 07:14 PM
I love Jacobs but Brown needs to have his time to shine.

radar-ray
12-31-2012, 07:20 PM
I love Jacobs but Brown needs to have his time to shine.That's fine, provided AB can last through a season. Nobody is suggesting to have BJ play in front of Andre.

The_ One
12-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Jacobs is finished.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm also thinking that if Jacobs doesn't get picked up by any other teams, JR will just discreetly give him a phone call, telling him to stay in shape. After all, it's not like Andre is guaranteed to stay healthy all season...

jomo
12-31-2012, 07:45 PM
He is over the hill, let him retire as a Giant. He did not play this year because he could not crack the 3 deep line up. Move on with younger talent. This is a business and Reese wil not bring him back other than to retire.That's the answer. Re-sign him for a day and let him retire as a Giant which he will always be. It will be a nice thing to do at our first home game. Go Blue!!

FBomb
12-31-2012, 07:46 PM
That's the answer. Re-sign him for a day and let him retire as a Giant which he will always be. It will be a nice thing to do at our first home game. Go Blue!!

If ANYTHING happens between the Giants and Jacobs...it will be this. Time to grow up, folks. Just because he was beloved doesn't mean he can be the player he once was. Hell. he wasn't the player he once was when he was a Giant.

G-MENBK
12-31-2012, 07:51 PM
If ANYTHING happens between the Giants and Jacobs...it will be this. Time to grow up, folks. Just because he was beloved doesn't mean he can be the player he once was. Hell. he wasn't the player he once was when he was a Giant.

Why you no like Tiptoe Burglar?

jomo
12-31-2012, 07:52 PM
If ANYTHING happens between the Giants and Jacobs...it will be this. Time to grow up, folks. Just because he was beloved doesn't mean he can be the player he once was. Hell. he wasn't the player he once was when he was a Giant.We may not pull this off in 2013 because someone else may think he's worth real money as a running back but you are right, the tank is (and has been) empty. Let's send him off the right way because he was a really good one for us.

FBomb
12-31-2012, 07:53 PM

I would yell at the TV every time he danced behind the LOS!!

G-MENBK
12-31-2012, 07:56 PM
I would yell at the TV every time he danced behind the LOS!!

I was just kidding. Look at the nickname. The guy is - what - 270-280 lbs.? Like a semi going downhill, that was until someone slightly touched one of his feet.

RoanokeFan
12-31-2012, 07:56 PM
That's the answer. Re-sign him for a day and let him retire as a Giant which he will always be. It will be a nice thing to do at our first home game. Go Blue!!

+1

Harooni
12-31-2012, 07:58 PM

lol forgot about that

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/tuktabo/PEOPLE/Burglar.gif

jomo
12-31-2012, 08:01 PM
lol forgot about that

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/tuktabo/PEOPLE/Burglar.gifSeriously 'rooni, the tiptoe burglar is a downhill runner when compared to the current version of BJ!

Harooni
12-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Seriously 'rooni, the tiptoe burglar is a downhill runner when compared to the current version of BJ! yeah i liked him but that ship has sailed

jomo
12-31-2012, 08:06 PM
yeah i liked him but that ship has sailedInteresting study on Jacobs. He was the most tantalizing runner before he was our starter. Yes he was a really good starter and fiery leader but when he came in for Tiki as a change of pace, remember how fierce he was? I think we need to remember that as we balance cap dollars with our roster. We are dropping big $$ for relatively unproductive defensive linemen.

AntB
12-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Maybe we should take a look at that Beanie Wells from the Cardinals. DE Docket may be finished there as well.

Toadofsteel
12-31-2012, 09:08 PM

Diehl isn't either...

JustinTuckNYG91
12-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I'd be utterly floored if the Giants brought him back. It wouldn't make sense, since he doesn't run like he used to, he's going to want to get paid, and his big mouth is more trouble than it's worth. Paying a guy to block, be a cheerleader, and not play ST's is a waste of a roster spot, not to mention a waste of money. They need production, and he didn't produce, which is why he was cut in the first place. If he wanted to stay, he should have swallowd his pride and took the 500k less that the Giants offered him at the time. Completely agree. No thanks to BJ coming back to the Giants.

Hooligans
12-31-2012, 09:23 PM
After one more season with Giants? He should be well rested.

Jacobs is done...he was done two years ago.

Parademon
12-31-2012, 09:24 PM
I'd love to have him back! He was the heart & fire of the G-men last yr. When he left this yr, this team looked so soft & gutless in their losses to Atl/Balt. BJ would not have let that happen. Be it a brawl with some Falcons/Ravens players or bulldozing over a LB or DB, he would have found a way to fire this team up in those 2 games. He is a way better pass blocker than anyone we currently have in the backfield & that includes AB. Give him $500 thou in 2013 & use him in GL situations & for pass blocking. There's alot of Giants playing right now that are getting way more & pretty much were non-factors this yr.

He will be coming in fresh & healthy due to not playing all yr & he knows the Giants O better than anyone. Bring him back G-men!

M00KIE
01-01-2013, 06:20 AM
I'll tell ya...After resting an entire year, I'd give him a 1 year deal. No doubt.

Hooligans
01-01-2013, 06:30 AM
I'll tell ya...After resting an entire year, I'd give him a 1 year deal. No doubt.

Not happening....Brandon was done two years ago....he's not even worth the veteran minimum........as the 49ers found out.

Hooligans
01-01-2013, 06:32 AM
I'd love to have him back! He was the heart & fire of the G-men last yr. When he left this yr, this team looked so soft & gutless in their losses to Atl/Balt. BJ would not have let that happen. Be it a brawl with some Falcons/Ravens players or bulldozing over a LB or DB, he would have found a way to fire this team up in those 2 games. He is a way better pass blocker than anyone we currently have in the backfield & that includes AB. Give him $500 thou in 2013 & use him in GL situations & for pass blocking. There's alot of Giants playing right now that are getting way more & pretty much were non-factors this yr.

He will be coming in fresh & healthy due to not playing all yr & he knows the Giants O better than anyone. Bring him back G-men!

He's a head case and problem-child.....besides, he sucks. No room for him on the Giants, or anywhere in the NFL.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 07:43 AM

We really don't need him, but I definitely would love to see him signed for a day to retire a Giant

Diamondring
01-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Get him so we can use him on those third and long plays. Maybe have him catch a few with Bennett at te.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Get him so we can use him on those third and long plays. Maybe have him catch a few with Bennett at te.

We will likely have Bradsaw, Brown, and Wilson next season with either Scott or a draft pick for a fourth.

BleedinBlue72
01-01-2013, 10:21 AM
YEAH......im down with bring him back!!

nhpgiantsfan
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
No real room for him anymore. If all three are healthy, Bradshaw, Wilson, and Brown have to dress every week. And it's time for Bradshaw to take BJ's old role and let Wilson be the starter. If healthy that threesome has the potential to be real dangerous.

dnotch121
01-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Bradshaw----Jacobs---Wilson, I like.. What about Brown? this guy was a gem for us

Toadofsteel
01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
We will likely have Bradsaw, Brown, and Wilson next season with either Scott or a draft pick for a fourth.

I can't really see Scott being better than BJ even at this point (speed don't mean crap if you can't move the pile or break out of tackles)... at the very least give BJ a vet min reserve/future contract, and bring him into camp so he can compete. If he doesn't make it, at least that still takes care of him retiring a Giant...

And spend a draft pick on a RB? Really? We need to fix the ENTIRE OL, LB, and get a CB...

radar-ray
01-01-2013, 10:51 AM
No real room for him anymore. If all three are healthy, Bradshaw, Wilson, and Brown have to dress every week. And it's time for Bradshaw to take BJ's old role and let Wilson be the starter. If healthy that threesome has the potential to be real dangerous. IF, is the key word. So far neither AB or AB has shown the ability to stay healthy. Would you rather have Lumpkin!

radar-ray
01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I can't really see Scott being better than BJ even at this point (speed don't mean crap if you can't move the pile or break out of tackles)... at the very least give BJ a vet min reserve/future contract, and bring him into camp so he can compete. If he doesn't make it, at least that still takes care of him retiring a Giant...

And spend a draft pick on a RB? Really? We need to fix the ENTIRE OL, LB, and get a CB...This.

Rich4114
01-01-2013, 11:29 AM
Jacobs coming back simply for the emotional lift would be worth it.

BigBlueAllDay
01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, this wannabe prodigal giant is almost certaintly going to have a take a veteran minimum salary and that's if Jerry Reese is even going to consider that. There will be no roasting meat waiting for him here.