PDA

View Full Version : Antrel Rolle: Defense Needs To Get On The Same Page Moving Forward

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 07:53 AM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5794

Excerpt: "Giants safety Antrel Rolle didn’t do a very good job of hiding his disappointment when it was pointed out to him that for the second year in a row, the Giants defense finished near the bottom of the league.

“I take a lot of pride in our defenses and what we bring to the table to present, and a lot of times you can get caught up with numbers in the NFL as far as ranking and things like that,” he said.

But then he allowed the obvious, that at times this year the Giants defense was either very good or very bad, a trend that drove head coach Tom Coughlin crazy and one which Rolle said needs to be corrected.Rolle, who said he planned to speak with Coughlin to share some feedback on how to fix what has hurt the defense, initially didn’t want to go into specifics.

But then he began to open up into what he viewed as some of the problems the unit has faced this season.

“The main focus point is trying to find that focus area where you’re playing on a more consistent basis, doing the things you’re taught to do and making the plays when the opportunities present themselves and just being a better defense all the way around,” he said.

“Having more fight, have a lot more attitude in our play – I think that’s going to play a huge part.“

And more importantly, understanding the defense and all the ins and outs – not just your assignment per say just understanding the entire defense. I think that played a huge role in a lot of big plays that happened against us this year also.”

Rolle, who said that he believes the Giants have enough quality players in the locker room to turn things around, said he doesn’t think that players were doing more gambling within the schemes this year, but strongly hinted that there might have been instances where all 11 guys maybe didn’t understand the entire concept of a scheme and that led to some freelancing that in turn backfired on them.

“In football, everything is X’s and O’s. If you play within those X’s and O’s, more times than not, you’ll be ok,” he said.

“Sometimes you’re required to play outside of the box. If you see something, go get it, but it all has to be within the defense. You never want to go out there and leave another person hanging because you might see something.

“You have to play within the defense and more importantly, just understand what’s being asked of you on a specific play.” Read more...

Diamondring
01-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Oh wow he might as well forget it cause it is too late.

EnragedYouth85
01-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Rolle is the leader of this defense right now I think. He deserves a C on his chest, he does all the talking but he backs it up too.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Oh wow he might as well forget it cause it is too late.

It's never too late to improve. The NFL is a marathon, we have seasons yet to play

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Rolle is the leader of this defense right now I think. He deserves a C on his chest, he does all the talking but he backs it up too.

He gets my vote

Diamondring
01-01-2013, 09:04 AM
It's never too late to improve. The NFL is a marathon, we have seasons yet to playYour right.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 09:14 AM
Your right.

That was easy :)

Flip Empty
01-01-2013, 09:25 AM
So he's basically saying they lacked discipline?

TomCat_FIN
01-01-2013, 09:30 AM
He's saying they lacked execution. Nothing wrong with calling it like it is, Rolle is an honest guy and is the first one to tell you he played a crappy season.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 09:31 AM
So he's basically saying they lacked discipline?

That or, to me, they didn't do what they were told to do in certain schemes AND they didn't watch for the unexpected. Most telling to me was when he said they have to know what everybody's role is and make adjustments when someone is out of place. The one example I can think of was when Stevie Brown mistakenly bit on the play action and Webester (I think it was) didn't adjust his play to cover for Brown's mistake resulting in a TD.

That's not a coaching issue once the game starts. That's a player needing to and read it say "WTF Stevie, I have to cover for you now."

Razur
01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Rolle has been pretty vocal about how he sees things for a long time now. I recall a meeting or exchange between hin & TC , that was the buzz for a bit about Coughlin's style or Fewell's scheme's..or both, anyway, that pretty much showed Rolle's character, and leadership qualities to me. To do a face to face with your boss and have him explain to YOU what his objectives are, is pretty ballsey.

And if I'm not mistaken, it was shortly after that, our D kicked in, and we surged upward, TC has historically had discoonects with his teams with regards to message and mission statements. I don't think it;s the message, as much as it is the delivery. The message and mission are pretty simple, but how its crafted and relayed , now that's a gift TC doesn't have. And I say that based on what I see in his pressers. TC is rigid, and stoic for the most part. And that is even beneficial when communicationg to the press, but, maybe not so much as a HC dealing with 20-30 somethings who are playing through pain, and media scrutiny, and constant pressure from coaches and teammates to rise up and execute. And when they need something inspirational, something very deep to draw inner focus on...they get " ALL IN", " FINISH", BUILD A BRDGE"...basically..themes.that seem to be falling on deaf ears..instead of the needed weekly serrmon, which is meant to plant the seed of inspirational performance.

Somebody like Rolle, who could translate that to rally call, a field cry...something....The post game lockeroom interviews , all sound eerily similar to TC and coach pressers...they all lack passion...just matter - of - fact, short brief answers with little substance..

We need a player in that roster who can ignite his team mates, somebody who will work the bench, the sidelines and lockeroom with constant focus checks and get into their heads gametime and thread both the offense & defense together as a unit,,,this team needs a soul.

brad
01-01-2013, 12:41 PM
I like Rolle a lot, a guy that is willing to play out of his position and do whatever it takes to help the team. I also like that he is starting to really step into a leadership role, and agree with those that said he deserves the C on his chest.

I am concerned that this has been going on for 2 years now and he said no one knows the defense. Is the defense that complicated?