PDA

View Full Version : Giants' GM Reese: "I Don't Think We're Far Off"

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 08:47 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1230791 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-gm-reese-don-article-1.1230791)

Excerpt: "At the end of the miserable 2006 season, former GM Ernie Accorsi stood in the middle of the Giants locker room and told the players “There’s a championship in this room.”

Two championships and six years later, the Giants are convinced there still is.

So there will be no long rebuilding project for the no-longer-defending Super Bowl champions after a disappointing, playoff-less, 9-7 season. When GM Jerry Reese looks at his current roster and glances at next season he doesn’t believe a complete overhaul is needed.

The Giants’ window to win another championship may indeed be closing, but Reese insisted it’s not closed yet.

“I don’t think we’re that far off, to be honest with you,” he said Monday. “This team will look different next year, but I think we have a good core of players coming back.”

Though the emotions were still raw one day after the Giants wrapped up their regular season with a 42-7 win over the Eagles and were eliminated from playoff contention anyway, that summed up the feeling throughout the organization on Monday. The Giants have issues – particularly on defense – and a long list of free agents to deal with.

But they have a franchise quarterback in Eli Manning, a top coach in Tom Coughlin, and many talented young players. They have not given up hope of becoming a dynasty and feel they’ll quickly be able to gear up for another Super Bowl run.

“Obviously this whole offseason everybody’s going to try to knock you down and tell you that you’re in the same boat as teams that won two games,” said defensive end Justin Tuck. “We’re not. We still have a very quality football team, a team that I feel very confident in the fact that if we would’ve gotten into the playoffs we would’ve made a run.”

That, of course, will be their great lament during the offseason as they ponder their missed opportunities. One win would’ve made the difference for the Giants, and Coughlin said some of the losses – particularly the recent blowouts in Atlanta and Baltimore – “will probably drive me insane.” Read more...

Flip Empty
01-01-2013, 08:53 AM
Yep, ride this bus until it runs out gas.

penguinfarmer
01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Now the closing window statement is incredibly premature. Obviously, the individual linked directly with that is Eli, and right after him, Coughlin. Even if it is "closing", it's still so wide open that even Romo can throw through it on a chilly December evening.

gumby74
01-01-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm willing to buy that. I still dont' like the fact that Fewell stays though.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Now the closing window statement is incredibly premature. Obviously, the individual linked directly with that is Eli, and right after him, Coughlin. Even if it is "closing", it's still so wide open that even Romo can throw through it on a chilly December evening.

That statement is ludicrous. More media hype than reality.

GameTime
01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
they arent far off at all really...
one more win and they were in.....

not like the they were 4 -12....

EnragedYouth85
01-01-2013, 10:28 AM

I'd rather have Eli throwing it, we don't want our superbowl hopes intercepted...

Harooni
01-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Honestly the windows do close quickly.look at the saints and greenbay for example. I won't say we will stink but several key players are past their primes and we are in a horrible cap situation due to over paying them. How can we upgrade in free agency ???? Seems like Reese is saying he won't cut those guys with huge cap numbers. Sigh

gumby74
01-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Honestly the windows do close quickly.look at the saints and greenbay for example. I won't say we will stink but several key players are past their primes and we are in a horrible cap situation due to over paying them. How can we upgrade in free agency ???? Seems like Reese is saying he won't cut those guys with huge cap numbers. Sigh

I don't think he's saying that. I think he recognizes that we have a enough players to build around to make another push. To be fair we really were a play away from the post season. Assuming we don't re-sign anyone this year (which won't happen) - we have "cornerstones" of

JPP, Joseph, Rolle(or KP if Rolle is cut and KP is resigned), Prince, Nicks, Snee, Canty, Eli. On top of that you have Wilson, Randle, Thomas coming back from injury. Hosely has more experience. Now if we re-sign Cruz which i expect we would and Stevie Brown, that's a decent core to work with.

We have lots of depth in the secondary. I think all we're missing are an o-lineman, a linebacker, and a dline man.

Make no mistake, I still think our defense will still be **** next year. But I don't think anyone in the Giants organisation expects Eli to play like the way he did this year. If he played a little better this year, we're in the playoffs. And for those that are uber Eli sensitive, why am I pointing out Eli? Because easier to fix one player then it is an entire unit - i.e. the defense.

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
They lost 3 games this season by a combined 7 points. Get the OL fixed, have Eli have a better year, and stay healthy those could be wins next season and they are 12-4. Seriously, as bad as they looked in some games they where 7 points from 12-4. It's been a long time since any Championship team has won a post season game. The Giants are no different.

BigBlueAllDay
01-01-2013, 11:53 AM
From the same article,

“We don’t get paid here for the Giants to go 9-7,” Reese said. “We got away with that last year. Things worked out for us. But we don’t go into our season saying, ‘Man, let’s go 9-7.’ We set the bar high here. And we didn’t get the job done.
“Our goal is to win a championship every year, and when you don’t win it’s an opportunity lost as far as I’m concerned.”

Spoken like a true champion. I'm ALL IN on Reese! His mentality is totally in the right place. Happy New Years!

Buddy333
01-01-2013, 11:55 AM
As far as defense goes, they do give up yards but for most of the season they did not give up a lot of points. They need to be better no doubt. Hopefully they can fill some holes in the draft. They have some good you've talent in their secondary. JPP and Joseph are two bright spots on that DL. Tuck will give it another try. Hopefully the extra time off will help him rehab his shoulder. They can move Kiwi back to the DL if they find a LB in the draft or FA. There are no more dominat defenses. While some do look to be at times they all have their bad games. The game is designed now to have points scored. That's why the offense has to get fixed first. That will win them those extra games. By putting up points, especially after turnovers, and extending drives the defense gets better right there.

Generation Eli
01-01-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1230791 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-gm-reese-don-article-1.1230791)

Excerpt: "At the end of the miserable 2006 season, former GM Ernie Accorsi stood in the middle of the Giants locker room and told the players “There’s a championship in this room.”

Two championships and six years later, the Giants are convinced there still is.

So there will be no long rebuilding project for the no-longer-defending Super Bowl champions after a disappointing, playoff-less, 9-7 season. When GM Jerry Reeselooks at his current roster and glances at next season he doesn’t believe a complete overhaul is needed.

The Giants’ window to win another championship may indeed be closing, but Reese insisted it’s not closed yet.

“I don’t think we’re that far off, to be honest with you,” he said Monday. “This team will look different next year, but I think we have a good core of players coming back.”

Though the emotions were still raw one day after the Giants wrapped up their regular season with a 42-7 win over the Eagles and were eliminated from playoff contention anyway, that summed up the feeling throughout the organization on Monday. The Giants have issues – particularly on defense – and a long list of free agents to deal with.

But they have a franchise quarterback in Eli Manning, a top coach in Tom Coughlin, and many talented young players. They have not given up hope of becoming a dynasty and feel they’ll quickly be able to gear up for another Super Bowl run.

“Obviously this whole offseason everybody’s going to try to knock you down and tell you that you’re in the same boat as teams that won two games,” said defensive end Justin Tuck. “We’re not. We still have a very quality football team, a team that I feel very confident in the fact that if we would’ve gotten into the playoffs we would’ve made a run.”

That, of course, will be their great lament during the offseason as they ponder their missed opportunities. One win would’ve made the difference for the Giants, and Coughlin said some of the losses – particularly the recent blowouts in Atlanta and Baltimore – “will probably drive me insane.” Read more...

Ive taken 3 psychology classes and 1 sociology class, therefore I qualify as a psycho-analyst :D

with that said, I like the word Quality Justin Tuck used. He doesnt believe his team good and he knows it. Pick and chose your words carefully Tuck. You try to hide your true feeling but fail miserably.

GiantRoc
01-01-2013, 03:17 PM

I didn't get that at all. When I watched the presser, I got the impression they would look at the season and the team and make the moves he needs to make, to improve the team. He did say he was looking at the free agent market and the draft to make improvements. I think to assume any move is off the board, would be a mistake.

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 03:22 PM
truthfully, they're not that "far off."

If they could discover the formula to become consistent in all phases they'd be really tough.

For so much of the "mentally tough" talk, there were games in which they looked/ appeared flat from the starting whistle.
Maybe new blood on the Lines with youthful ambition is in order.

Tool up and focus on the O-Line and DBs specifically. A healthier Nicks can only help the receivers corps. Include Bennett in more pass plays especially in the Green Zone, get us a healthy Power Back if Andre is unable to roll mission and let's get it!

Go Giants !!! (even in the off-season)

egyptian420
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
We're not that far off at all. We were maybe one game away from a playoff 10-6 season, that's not very far off.

Teams that are far off are teams like the Eagles, KC, Jags...etc.