PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Hakeem Nicks Does Not Regret Playing Through Injury

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...oesnt_reg.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_hakeem_nicks_doesnt_reg.html)

Excerpt: "When Hakeem Nicks limped off the field after taking a hit late in the Giants' Week 2 win over the Buccaneers, he and the team's only concern was his surgically-repaired right foot. Nicks felt something wrong with his left knee, but the focus was on the foot, which he fractured in late May, and he missed just one play.

It wasn't until 10 days later when Nicks and the team realized the knee injury was worse than initially thought. That was when Nicks woke up with a swollen knee the day after returning to practice. He was then ruled doubtful for the Giants' Week 4 game against the Eagles and the Nicks' season took an unexpected turn.

"When the knee happened, it was just like, 'Wow, another little setback,'" Nicks said. "But it's football. You can't control what's going to happen on any play and it happened to be me."

Nicks was first given a timetable for recovery ranging from two to eight weeks and missed just the next three games. But the pain persisted when he returned and all season. He bounced in and out of practice, and on and off the injury report, never able to get back to 100 percent.

"I was never quite myself, but I was getting better each week," Nicks said. "I could tell that running-wise, but I had to change up my whole running style on the fly with the right foot and the left knee and I feel like I handled it pretty well. I just tried to give my best effort at all times." Read more...

TomCat_FIN
01-01-2013, 09:39 AM
This was probably the biggest single reason to the downfall of the offense down the line. Cruz was getting destroyed out there at times so it would have been nice to have a healthy Nicks on the outside -- to keep defenses honest.

Hopefully he's at 100% in September again.

GameTime
01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
all players want to play. Cant blame him for that. Its up to the coaches to see what a player can actually do to help the team when limited.

EnragedYouth85
01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
This was probably the biggest single reason to the downfall of the offense down the line. Cruz was getting destroyed out there at times so it would have been nice to have a healthy Nicks on the outside -- to keep defenses honest.

Hopefully he's at 100% in September again.

And Cruz still put up decent numbers this year!

Snappinnecks
01-01-2013, 10:58 AM
We put in Randle in for one game and look what happened. The fact that the doctors said to sit him for 4-6 weeks shows just how hurt he was. Bad move by the coaching staff if you ask me.

EnragedYouth85
01-01-2013, 10:59 AM
We put in Randle in for one game and look what happened. The fact that the doctors said to sit him for 4-6 weeks shows just how hurt he was. Bad move by the coaching staff if you ask me.

You have to ask yourself, was Randle ready for a start before last game though? You and I will never know but its worth a thought..

drewz
01-01-2013, 11:05 AM
You have to ask yourself, was Randle ready for a start before last game though? You and I will never know but its worth a thought..

The way he handled Nnamdi, theres no excuse this guy should've been more involved. I know the offense is pretty complicated though, but they should've worked him in more.

But, as always, hindsight is always 20/20

EnragedYouth85
01-01-2013, 11:13 AM
The way he handled Nnamdi, theres no excuse this guy should've been more involved. I know the offense is pretty complicated though, but they should've worked him in more.

But, as always, hindsight is always 20/20

You could of said the same thing about Wilson, it is what it is.. they had their reasons I guess..

Rich4114
01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't get why they kept taking Randell out. Other than one play in the Steelers game where he ran a Manningham style bad route, I can't recall him not making a play when called upon. He gets overshadowed in this group of WR's because of how good we know Cruz and Nicks are but watch what this guy does next season. He's going to be a stud.

Hixon has been very reliable as well and Barden even played well in a good portion of his opportunities. They seemed to put Barden aside for Jernnigan at the end of the season though - not sure what that was all about.

We still need to fix that o-line but a better o-line and a healthy Nicks/Cruz/Randell will give us plenty of firepower on offense. The offense is a RT and LG away from being top notch assuming we resign Black Unicorn.

Giantsfan62
01-01-2013, 12:07 PM
He might not regret it,but I do. Could be the difference in missing the play-offs....

moosedrool
01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I would have rather missed the playoffs with a healthy randle instead of a gimpy nicks. I think the coaching staff realizes now they played it wrong. Randle played 55 snaps vs Philly and nicks only 1.

poppa smurph
01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
He might not regret it,but I do. Could be the difference in missing the play-offs....Nicks playing through his injury surely affected the offense...but to say that could be the difference in missing the playoffs... doesn't that belittle the rest of the team's responsibility in those losses down the stretch?

moosedrool
01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Nicks playing through his injury surely affected the offense...but to say that could be the difference in missing the playoffs... doesn't that belittle the rest of the team's responsibility in those losses down the stretch?No, it proves how much better an offense can be with two really good wr's instead of just one

GiantRoc
01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
all players want to play. Cant blame him for that. Its up to the coaches to see what a player can actually do to help the team when limited.

Comes down to that. I wouldn't want a guy who will want to sit with some bumps and strains. Nicks' desire to play is something you don't want to lose, but that can also make him his own worst enemy.

poppa smurph
01-01-2013, 02:34 PM
No, it proves how much better an offense can be with two really good wr's instead of just onebut is it the reason the giants missed the playoffs?

moosedrool
01-01-2013, 02:38 PM
but is it the reason the giants missed the playoffs?We lost to WAS and PHI by two points or less, and having two really good receivers on the field could have turned both those games into wins.

egyptian420
01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Maybe Jernigan, Randle, or Barden could've been of more use than Nicks was, I'm not sure. What's done is done though, I'm just glad that Randle and Wilson came off strong to end the season. This should certainly get them lined up for huge roles next year.

big blue dog
01-01-2013, 02:46 PM
maybe if they nicks the 6 - 8 weeks and let randle or one of the other guys barden or jernegen a shot to hold down the fort nicks could have came back later and much more effective.

ny06
01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
We can rationalize this all off-season. The fact is the coaches believed Nicks was the best player at the position to help win games. The coaches get paid to win games and put the best 11 guys on the field. Maybe it was the wrong choice but I trust the coaching decisions. 2 super bowl victories does that.

GiantRoc
01-01-2013, 03:29 PM
We can rationalize this all off-season. The fact is the coaches believed Nicks was the best player at the position to help win games. The coaches get paid to win games and put the best 11 guys on the field. Maybe it was the wrong choice but I trust the coaching decisions. 2 super bowl victories does that.

That's the whole fun of the board though. If we all just sat around bobble head nodding about coaching choices, what fun would that be. It's a bunch of guys pretending to have a clue about running a football team. I mean, none of this really matters here on this board. It's all about the fun of being a GIANTS FAN.