PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Notes: Cruz Control

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...l3yQCJ8RZ42wIO (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/niners_dump_jacobs_xodsqtZ1l3yQCJ8RZ42wIO)

Excerpt: "Paterson native Victor Cruz expressed his desire to sign a long-term contract with the Giants after Sunday’s regular-season finale and general manager Jerry Reese said determining Cruz’s future is "part of the evaluation process" going forward.

"We obviously talked a little bit during the season about an extension with him, but it obviously didn’t work out, so we’ll see what happens during this off-season," said Reese, who added "everything’s on the table."

Cruz is seeking a multi-year deal, but he will be a restricted free agent, which means a tender that would likely pay him $2.879 million for next season could also be an option.

He finished his third season with 86 catches for 1,098 yards, 10 touchdowns and a trip to the Pro Bowl.

"I feel good about my season. I’m happy I got to get those one-year wonder questions out of my system," Cruz said Sunday. "Nobody can say that about me now." Read more...

TomCat_FIN
01-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Cruz will be here (or there) to stay for a long time. I can't think of a reason why the negotiations should not pan out to a new multi-year contract.

RoanokeFan
01-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Cruz will be here (or there) to stay for a long time. I can't think of a reason why the negotiations should not pan out to a new multi-year contract.

I'm pretty sure they will get the deal done. They have to factor in how much time Nicks loses to injuries which, to date, has not been an issue with Cruz. Even though Cruz technically missed his first season due to an "injury" that was a situation where Tynes was injured and they had to being in an emergency kicker and Cruz was sent to IR to both protect him and to open a spot toe the new kicker

EnragedYouth85
01-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Cruz one our highest offseason issue this year, I cannot see this team not getting a deal done! He was one of the bright spots on our team this year. He had a lot of drops this year but thats who he is, he is a quick catching, spin out of the catch and get YAC. Sometimes he breaks to fast and loses the ball. By no way am I defending drops and he does need to fix this but he is #1 priority this off season!

NorwoodBlue
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Cruz still had a good year in spite of the coaching keeping an injured Nicks on the field opposite him. He drew blanket coverage most of the time, and still managed to have a good year. I hope Victor takes into account how much more marketing value he has playing in NY than if he went to some smaller market. If he ends up with a bad QB, or a team with no complimenting WR, his career could take a serious downturn. Victor needs the Giants just as much as they need him, it's a very good match. And, let's not forget that the Giants gave Victor a chance when nobdoy else would. They even kept him on injured reserve the first year when a lot of teams would have cut him. Victor has a nice chemistry to build on with Eli and the Giants.

dnotch121
01-01-2013, 11:45 AM
With Hakeem Nicks health a huge question mark i would think they would wanna focus more on Cruz. I like Nicks but the guy is always hurt. Focus on Cruz and get Randle developed

Rusty192
01-01-2013, 11:45 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...l3yQCJ8RZ42wIO (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/niners_dump_jacobs_xodsqtZ1l3yQCJ8RZ42wIO)

...general manager Jerry Reese said determining Cruz’s future is "part of the evaluation process" going forward....lol sounds ominous.

gumby74
01-01-2013, 12:27 PM
I think I'm the only one, but I can't say I'm totally impressed with him enough to give him a big pay day. Not that I think we should let him walk, but he's definitely not worth 7 million.

fletch842
01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
I think Cruz proved himself to be far more then a one year wonder. The team will save considerable $$ signing him in advance of FA, and I like most fans would really like to see that.

giantsfan420
01-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I think I'm the only one, but I can't say I'm totally impressed with him enough to give him a big pay day. Not that I think we should let him walk, but he's definitely not worth 7 million.can u provide any quantifiable reasons why or is it just ur personal opinion? I only ask bc with what Nicks gave us, ensured Cruz was getting double teamed each n every game. I agreed with ur statement before this season, not thinking he was a 1 yr wonder but that he wasnt the wr he was in 2011 (i mean cmon that was like an unrivaled year). But with what hes displayed, how he can beat coverage inside and out, and double teams...yes id say he is worth 7 mil. i hope we can get him for like 5 mil for 5 yrs or something, but cruz has proven his worth imo

Ladder27
01-01-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure they will get the deal done. They have to factor in how much time Nicks loses to injuries which, to date, has not been an issue with Cruz. Even though Cruz technically missed his first season due to an "injury" that was a situation where Tynes was injured and they had to being in an emergency kicker and Cruz was sent to IR to both protect him and to open a spot toe the new kicker

My biggest worry with Cruz is....Ever since he took that one shot early in the season now he just seems gun shy. As the season went on teams keyed in on trying to take one good shot at him and after that he was rattled. He needs to get over that or hes going to be a waste.

Carter.525
01-01-2013, 02:03 PM
With Hakeem Nicks health a huge question mark i would think they would wanna focus more on Cruz. I like Nicks but the guy is always hurt. Focus on Cruz and get Randle developed

I agree

Napstew
01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
lol, Nicks have a killer season next year and I want to see the same "he needs to go" type of comments.

Rusty192
01-01-2013, 04:32 PM
lol, Nicks have a killer season next year and I want to see the same "he needs to go" type of comments.That would be awesome. This offense goes a Nicks goes.