PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for your Service Osi...

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 03:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120842/article/osi-umenyiora-ready-for-life-after-new-york-giants

bottomline:
Thanks for all those strip-sacks, you were one of my favorites, but 10 years is 10 years and we do have Tracy and Ojomo and JPP to think about.

Wouldn't be mad if you and the Team split, but please split amicably.

ny06
01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm glad someone posted a positive thread about Osi. He's s long time Giant who did a lot of good for this franchise. It's time to rebuild a once strong unit (defensive ends)

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I have always liked Osi, even when teams purposely ran the ball at him...

titwio
01-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Great career here in NY but it's time to move on. JPP has been playing too much DT when Osi is on the field when he needs to be the consistent RDE (that's where he's looked the best IMO).

Osi will get paid this off season and be happy...hope he goes somewhere in the AFC. Patriots or something where the Giants don't have to see him too much.

eusebiomor
01-01-2013, 05:24 PM
I think Osi wanted to go a few years ago, but he wants to stay because he has to probe himself that he can without Strahan in the other side.

Good bye Osi

Redeyejedi
01-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Tracy and Ojomo have nothing to do with Osi

GentleGiant
01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Great career here in NY but it's time to move on. JPP has been playing too much DT when Osi is on the field when he needs to be the consistent RDE (that's where he's looked the best IMO).

Osi will get paid this off season and be happy...hope he goes somewhere in the AFC. Patriots or something where the Giants don't have to see him too much.

Not the pats cause I wouldn't be surprised if we saw them again in the SB.

Probably the steelers or ravens.

giant-4-life
01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
change is always good at the right time. the time is now. I'm just glad Strahan stuck with the gmen as long as he did with all the lousy seasons.

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Tracy and Ojomo have nothing to do with Osi

i wasn't suggesting that they do. My point is time to see what the young guys can or can't do...Osi was ready to leave supposedly so why not let him go and look to get young on D moving forward?

jomo
01-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I'm glad someone posted a positive thread about Osi. He's s long time Giant who did a lot of good for this franchise. It's time to rebuild a once strong unit (defensive ends)It is time to rebuild a FIERCE defensive unit. That said, during one of our games this year, maybe against Green Bay, Osi executed his signature strip sack. My son turned to me and said "'llI never get tired of that pops." That's how I will remember Osi. Thanks Bro'.

nhpgiantsfan
01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
I will miss Osi. One of my favorite Giants. He had his flaws, but he could also blow up a game more than any Giants defensive player since LT. He made an art of that strip sack.

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
people who bash osi are one argument ponies! they have nothing solid on his play that can justify the nonsense they spew about him. Fact the only reason why people hate osi is because of the contract dispute, that if you think about it was not intentional on his part to begin with, especially the way it blew up. I do not think he meant for it to get out of hand like that.

Eliscruzzz
01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
I loved Osi but it's time for him to go, he will always be a Giant but watching him defend the run this year was a freaking nightmare.

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Osi was ready to leave supposedly so why not let him go who said Osi is ready to leave? you make it seem like he wants to, i have not read or heard him anything that states this.

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:13 PM
I loved Osi but it's time for him to go, he will always be a Giant but watching him defend the run this year was a freaking nightmare. who else on this team was helping him dude?

Eliscruzzz
01-01-2013, 08:16 PM
who else on this team was helping him dude?JPP and Tuck have played the run very well. Now let me ask you something why were teams running at Osi almost at will??? I'm waiting....

Eliscruzzz
01-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Also when Phillips was healthy he played the run well, Rolle played the run well, Rivers plays the run well, hell even our cornerback Prince played the run better then Osi. Just because he was great a one time doesn't mean he wasn't a nightmare this year.

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:25 PM
JPP and Tuck have played the run very well. Now let me ask you something why were teams running at Osi almost at will??? I'm waiting....
Osi is not a starter dude! he started all but 4 times this season. you talk about stopping the run, you make it seem like every big run came to osi's side, he started every snap where the run broke us down. Look at Osi's frame compared to tuck and jpp those guys are bigger power rushers OF!! course they will be better at the run than a speed finesse pass rusher. Did you account that? did you think that the scheme we played was not great for the run but more for the pass? the 3 safety sets, not saying osi didn't have his bad moments, certainly not saying he is great against the run, but this is a team sport and the Linebackers should be strafing over to the ball and attacking it, so if Osi is pass rushing which is why he is put in on a ROTATIONAL!!!! DE rushing system he is going to use speed to get to the QB which means taking the outside angle to beat the OL the line backers should be quick enough to locate the ball and clog the gaps that Osi opens with the rush. there is so much that goes into this that i feel you need to know but i really don't feel like typing out

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Also when Phillips was healthy he played the run well, Rolle played the run well, Rivers plays the run well, hell even our cornerback Prince played the run better then Osi. Just because he was great a one time doesn't mean he wasn't a nightmare this year. yet we suck versus the run with all these great run stuffing players. you must of have it all figured out i am sorry i challenged your genius

nhpgiantsfan
01-01-2013, 08:34 PM
For some reason people dislike Osi because of his contract issues so they make him a scapegoat for the whole defense. Bottom line this defense has one star player and the rest are mediocre at best.

Eliscruzzz
01-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Osi is not a starter dude! he started all but 4 times this season. you talk about stopping the run, you make it seem like every big run came to osi's side, he started every snap where the run broke us down. Look at Osi's frame compared to tuck and jpp those guys are bigger power rushers OF!! course they will be better at the run than a speed finesse pass rusher. Did you account that? did you think that the scheme we played was not great for the run but more for the pass? the 3 safety sets, not saying osi didn't have his bad moments, certainly not saying he is great against the run, but this is a team sport and the Linebackers should be strafing over to the ball and attacking it, so if Osi is pass rushing which is why he is put in on a ROTATIONAL!!!! DE rushing system he is going to use speed to get to the QB which means taking the outside angle to beat the OL the line backers should be quick enough to locate the ball and clog the gaps that Osi opens with the rush. there is so much that goes into this that i feel you need to know but i really don't feel like typing outI know he's not a starter but you are really going to sit there and tell me Osi didn't have help to stop the run?? The dude got spun around at least for 50 yards a game and he's not starting!!!! What does that tell you?? Look I like Osi but he is not what he used to be. He made average running backs look like all-pros this season. Now is it only his fault...no, buthe was a MAJOR factor why the run killed us thiis year. Why was it when teams ran a Tuck side or Jpp's side the weren't torch??

Eliscruzzz
01-01-2013, 08:42 PM
yet we suck versus the run with all these great run stuffing players. you must of have it all figured out i am sorry i challenged your geniusYeah and you know all the answers....my point was WHY is it that all these players could play the run better then him and they are not on the d-line. Consistently this year I gotta believe the coaching staff told him to stop the run first instead of just rushing the passer when he came in. Osi was TERRIBLE!!! playing the run this year. If you cannot see that you my friend are blind.Yes I know our linebacker's suck but our defense stops the run with our front four not out linebackers.

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
I know he's not a starter but you are really going to sit there and tell me Osi didn't have help to stop the run?? The dude got spun around at least for 50 yards a game and he's not starting!!!! What does that tell you?? Look I like Osi but he is not what he used to be. He made average running backs look like all-pros this season. Now is it only his fault...no, buthe was a MAJOR factor why the run killed us thiis year. Why was it when teams ran a Tuck side or Jpp's side the weren't torch??

The FACT! that he is not a starter tells you what??? He is used as a situational pass rusher.
If he is a situational pass rusher, when he is put in the game whats his job??? to rush the passer
If he is rushing the passer he has to get a jump on the ball right? use his speed off the snap to blow past the OL right? If he is speed rushing which lane is he taking? the B? NO! he is attacking the C.
If he is attacking the C with speed and finesse, of course shifty backs are going to blow by or reverse into that open B. maybe the the Line backers should close that up! maybe the DT's should collapse their assignment into that gap forcing the RB back to the middle where the MLB can find him.

I am not saying Osi is great against the run, but you people need to stop making him the scapegoat for the terrible run defense this year, there is alot of blame to go around. None! NONE!!! of the DE's stepped up this year dude! they all collectively sucked versus everything.

MAJOR factor? that's just ridiculous, especially with the reduced snaps the man has played all year. Look just say you hate osi for his contract dispute this discussion will be a lot more simpler

raintheory
01-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah and you know all the answers....my point was WHY is it that all these players could play the run better then him and they are not on the d-line. Consistently this year I gotta believe the coaching staff told him to stop the run first instead of just rushing the passer when he came in. Osi was TERRIBLE!!! playing the run this year. If you cannot see that you my friend are blind.Yes I know our linebacker's suck but our defense stops the run with our front four not out linebackers.
Tuck stopped the run?!? okay i'm done!

TheBookOfEli
01-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Once a giant, always a giant. Thanks for the memories Osi and helping us win 2 Superbowls.

ashleymarie
01-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Don't know if you are leaving or not Osi, but thanks for the good years and excellent plays. Wish you could stay and coach the young d coming in. Happy Trails.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm glad someone posted a positive thread about Osi. He's s long time Giant who did a lot of good for this franchise. It's time to rebuild a once strong unit (defensive ends)
amen,,now scram osi!

appodictic
01-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Osi looked much better then tuck and JPP this season. Especially down the stretch if you look at the last few weeks it was typically osi in the backfield chasing QBs out of the pocket. He was a special player for a while with an uncanny ability, what else can we ask for really?

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 10:21 PM
who said Osi is ready to leave? you make it seem like he wants to, i have not read or heard him anything that states this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120842/article/osi-umenyiora-ready-for-postnew-york-giants-life

read, review, ruminate

appodictic
01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
It is not that Osi says he is going to leave but our defence is about a solid rush from the front 4, our nascar unit looked like a ford probe unit this year. So the defence is in a spot now. Either the abandon the Nascar and look for a new scheme or bring in pass rushers to restore the nascar.

You have to build scheme's around players, Osi and tuck were those guys for a long time, they are not anymore. Not that still can not be giants but they are not the foundation anymore.

rainierjef
01-02-2013, 12:45 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120842/article/osi-umenyiora-ready-for-postnew-york-giants-life

read, review, ruminate

I've read this and i also don't know how you comprehended "Osi wants to leave, we should let him."
He said "So if there is a time to leave, it probably would be now, but there is no telling what would happen." meaning if there ever is a good time to leave new york now would probably be it with all he has accomplished. stuff is out of his control and he doesn't know what is going to happen with the giants, him and his future. Nothing here screams "Osi wants to leave." he is just accepting his time here might be done.

"I've earned the right to be a free agent," Umenyiora said. "It's been 10 years. I signed a seven-year deal, and they made me play out all seven of those years. If they wanted me back, I think something would have been done before now." even here, all he is saying he has played out his contract and deserves to opportunity to test the market, if the giants really wanted to retain him they would of had contract talks during the mid-end of the seasons. so of course he is talking from the stand point of now might be the time to leave, cause all the signs are pointing to that. Not I want to leave cause i feel like i deserve a big contracts; which is what most of you are probably thinking as Anti-osi fans

"I'm not a situational pass rusher," Umenyiora said, via Sporting News. "I think that's the word that's been going around me for years because most people don't know what they're talking about.

"But there's no football person who's going to actually sit there and watch tape and not think that I'm a starter in this league, and I'm 100 percent sure of that."

Here he is stating he not just a situational pass rusher, and the way he is being utilized is not what he believes his skill set is and the fact that he is labeled that shows that fans, analyst or whoever is uneducated on his skill set. He believes he is a starter, and I agree he is easily a starter on any other team.

Fans who sit here and say Osi is the reason for our run defense woe's, he needs to go, he not a good player anymore. Just hates the man, because of his contract dispute with Reese! not the organization just reese, they also refuse to read/understand the entire ordeal of how that started and how it blew up bigger than it needed to be.

Harooni
01-02-2013, 01:05 AM
osi is due to make a mere 1mill this season, i would say he will be asking to be released. I love how he signed a nice deal took all his money up front and then whined the last 5 years in a row about how much he is making.

EnragedYouth85
01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
osi is due to make a mere 1mill this season, i would say he will be asking to be released. I love how he signed a nice deal took all his money up front and then whined the last 5 years in a row about how much he is making.

Typical player, most do it.