PDA

View Full Version : Future of Jernigan & Barden

StraightCruzinn
01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
They're not really working out for this team. I'd part ways and try and get a gem late in the draft (Marques Colston).

1.Cruz
2.Nicks
3.Hixon
4.Randle

gmen0820
01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I'd say that Jernigan stays, while Barden bites the dust.

StraightCruzinn
01-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Why does Jernigan stay? If anything, Barden has shown more.

ny06
01-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I'd say that Jernigan stays, while Barden bites the dust.
I agree. If the Giants can give Moss and Barden a couple years I expect JJ to get the same. Unless they pick up a receiver in the draft who pushes him out.

StraightCruzinn
01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I agree. If the Giants can give Moss and Barden a couple years I expect JJ to get the same. Unless they pick up a receiver in the draft who pushes him out.

Jernigan is a slot WR. He has no place here if Cruz is going to play the slot.

Sundown
01-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Jernigan stays cause he has good upside, just KG s too dumb to utilize talent on the team. It took him all season to finally come up w new plays. I can't stand KG

ny06
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Barden or JJ will not beat out Nicks, Cruz, Hixon or Randle. So that leaves them to play special teams. And JJ can do kick offs or in case of injuries punt return duties.

GiantFanatic55
01-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Well if he's behind Nicks Cruz and Randle, then he would play the other slot when/if we use 4 wr sets

titwio
01-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Jernigan was getting worked more into the offense late this year and has shown he's a solid blocker. He's a good guy to have around also in case Cruz were ever to get hurt and could fill that slot role.

I'm not sure what the team feels about Barden. He had that breakout game against Carolina and then committed that crucial OPI late in the Philly game and literally disappeared. I think they'll both stay but if I had to make a guess, I'd say Barden is closer to the door than JJ is.

Sundown
01-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Well if he's behind Nicks Cruz and Randle, then he would play the other slot when/if we use 4 wr sets

If KG can make new plays, they'll be times when he plays slot more on 1st and 2nd down to free up Cruz on the outside. On of the biggest problems this year was Cruz being in the slot too much. I think he'll get more pt next season.

slipknottin
01-01-2013, 03:18 PM
JJ was drafted to be a utility player, kick/punt returns and a backup slot receiver.

JJ was not a receiver coming out, at least not a polished one. He has had one full offseason and hes 23 years old. Lets give him some time.

NYGfanNC
01-01-2013, 03:20 PM
They probably both stay. We need depth. Nicks and Hixon both have injury issues.

gmen0820
01-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Why does Jernigan get the nod over Barden? Simple.

Jernigan, while having produced less than Barden (who has produced very, very little himself), is not a FA!

We don't have to make any effort to bring Jernigan back, but we would to make an effort to bring Barden back. Besides -- if Barden ever wants to be anything other than a mediocre STs player -- he should go somewhere else where he can compete.

StraightCruzinn
01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
JJ was drafted to be a utility player, kick/punt returns and a backup slot receiver.

JJ was not a receiver coming out, at least not a polished one. He has had one full offseason and hes 23 years old. Lets give him some time.

I disagree. He was a a third round pick. He was drafted to play WR and in addition return kicks.

Carter.525
01-01-2013, 03:23 PM
they can both go..

Nicks
Cruz
Randle
Hixon
??

Overdrive92
01-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Something is wrong with Barden. He had a great game against Carolina, and then was practically shunned to the bench for the rest of the year. He was even inactive for most of the late season games. Clearly there is something we don't know about Barden, and a reason why the coaching staff refuses to give him any playing time.

Toadofsteel
01-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Jernigan was being worked onto the field late in the season, often in the 4 WR flex formation as the second slot receiver opposite Cruz. Also, if Wilson's carries are going to go up in 2013 as to be expected, Jernigan can go back to being our KR...

penguinfarmer
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Something is wrong with Barden. He had a great game against Carolina, and then was practically shunned to the bench for the rest of the year. He was even inactive for most of the late season games. Clearly there is something we don't know about Barden, and a reason why the coaching staff refuses to give him any playing time.

Or I think it's he is what most of us thought he was, a poor NFL WR. It doesn't take long for teams to key in his lone slant.

slipknottin
01-01-2013, 05:33 PM
I disagree. He was a a third round pick. He was drafted to play WR and in addition return kicks.

I think he was drafted as a similar player to Randall Cobb. Randall Cobb does everything for the packers, returns, runs, and receiver.

M00KIE
01-02-2013, 06:34 AM
These two are the least of our problems imo.

jakegibbs
01-02-2013, 07:27 AM

Hixon

GoDeep80
01-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Something is wrong with Barden. He had a great game against Carolina, and then was practically shunned to the bench for the rest of the year. He was even inactive for most of the late season games. Clearly there is something we don't know about Barden, and a reason why the coaching staff refuses to give him any playing time.What's wrong is we have dingusses for coaches who don't kno how to ride a hot hand!

OX1
01-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Barden or JJ will not beat out Nicks, Cruz, Hixon or Randle. So that leaves them to play special teams. And JJ can do kick offs or in case of injuries punt return duties.

No guarantee that Cruz will not be injured, since he seems to be getting his bell rung over
the middle like Ballard did once every 4-5 games. So I'd keep JJ............

Toadofsteel
01-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Hixon

Jernigan played in our 4 WR sets towards the end of the season. Hixon as far as I can tell has largely been converted to a more outside role...

Mercury
01-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Barden was actually on the field quite a bit after the Carolina game. Not as a starter, but he came in and was the invisible man.

river555
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Barden is a free agent so he's gone. Why would they re-sign some they have had on the team for 4 years and never used? JJ is looking like a bust but its only been 2 years and he's still on his rookie contract and still has 'potential' so he will be around.

jomo
01-02-2013, 12:11 PM
They're not really working out for this team. I'd part ways and try and get a gem late in the draft (Marques Colston).

1.Cruz
2.Nicks
3.Hixon
4.RandleI think that Barden is useless, showing us this year that he can't even stick with our special teams. Jernigan is only in his second year and contributed on ST plus became productive as our #4WR in the last third of the year. He is a keeper and we won't save much at all in dropping him.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM

1.Cruz
2.Nicks
3.Hixon
4.Randle

I think Jernigan gets to play out his rookie contract. Barden has so little upside I can't see him making the team.

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
why is noone here mentioning Hicks or Nixon ?

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

LMAO, I had to do a double take

keyofgmen
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM

Double take from me also! Too funny...but I think I did the "Hicks" thing a few times early on...

JJC7301
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Why does Jernigan stay? If anything, Barden has shown more.
+1. I don't think that Barden's game against Carolina was a fluke. He should have been the # 3 WR for this team, instead of Hixon. I'd like to see him back next year.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Hixon

The nice thing about Hixon is he can play anywhere they ask him to play including punt and kick returns.

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 12:48 PM
+1. I don't think that Barden's game against Carolina was a fluke. He should have been the # 3 WR for this team, instead of Hixon. I'd like to see him back next year.

It was a fluke. Barden beat up a 4th round rookie. Anyone who plays him more physically and Barden is a no show.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:29 PM
It was a fluke. Barden beat up a 4th round rookie. Anyone who plays him more physically and Barden is a no show.

He is number last in the rotation now

BigBlue1971
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I think he was drafted as a similar player to Randall Cobb. Randall Cobb does everything for the packers, returns, runs, and receiver.

if JJ can end up anything close to Cobb we can get rid of Hixon, Barden and Darel Scott!

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Barden took 208 snaps this season, Except for the Carolina game, what has he produced?