PDA

View Full Version : Reese's job secure if the Giants miss the playoffs again next season.

Harooni
01-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Anyone think he may be in jeopardy if we miss or does 2 SB give him a pass for at least 4-5 more years?

I like Reese i preferred him over Ernie. I love how he drafts i loved how he was the first 2 seasons and would say what he felt but now days he 100 percent pc. one thing i dont like is how he manages the salary cap.

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 01:43 AM
he is fine for seasons to come - JPP hakeem cruz (has to be credited with victor even though everyone passed on him too) bennett, snee, wilson randle and so many far before that have to be credited to him as he was head of scouting - I realize there are busts in there too but man imagine tannenbaum was our gm - the guy has had one find in a draft ever in revis, and some ok's with ferguson and a nice player in mangold and wilkerson and thats it.

2 Rings buys you a lot of rope A LOT - and deservedly so.

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 01:47 AM
How many teams fire their GMs after they have a winning season, playoffs or not?

Harooni
he is fine for seasons to come - JPP hakeem cruz (has to be credited with victor even though everyone passed on him too) bennett, snee, wilson randle and so many far before that have to be credited to him as he was head of scouting - I realize there are busts in there too but man imagine tannenbaum was our gm - the guy has had one find in a draft ever in revis, and some ok's with ferguson and a nice player in mangold and wilkerson and thats it.

2 Rings buys you a lot of rope A LOT - and deservedly so. yeah i figure it would , all i would ask if i was an owner was not bury the team in future cap hits. he is like my uncle sal spending 4000 a month and he makes 3000

Harooni

2 Rings buys you a lot of rope A LOT - and deservedly so. yeah i figure it would , all i would ask if i was an owner was not bury the team in future cap hits. he is like my uncle sal spending 4000 a month and he makes 3000

Harooni
01-02-2013, 01:53 AM
How many teams fire their GMs after they have a winning season, playoffs or not? well i said next season, if we miss again. 2 seasons under achieving i would think at least coaching changes.

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 01:56 AM
well i said next season, if we miss again. 2 seasons under achieving i would think at least coaching changes.

I wouldnt even expect that. I think as long as they are in the playoff hunt towards the end of the season nobody is getting fired.

TheEnigma
01-02-2013, 01:56 AM
Reese is here to stay for several years. Odds are that he will outlast the Eli and Coughlin era.

giantsfan420
01-02-2013, 01:58 AM
i gotta think he'd be clear into our next HC being given more than a long enough chance to be successful and if not he goes with the next HC if its a bust imo which could be a decade lol u never know

Harooni
01-02-2013, 01:58 AM
I wouldnt even expect that. I think as long as they are in the playoff hunt towards the end of the season nobody is getting fired. the down side of sb's huh. lol

BROADWAYSTORM
01-02-2013, 02:00 AM
He is better than Ernie Accorsi. Why the hell would the Giants even think of firing him pretty much ever at this point after 2 superbowls and continuously loading this team with talent?

BlueSanta
01-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Your just mad we didnt give Tiki another try-out last year. Reese is safe, this thread isnt.

Harooni
01-02-2013, 02:03 AM
He is better than Ernie Accorsi. Why the hell would the Giants even think of firing him pretty much ever at this point after 2 superbowls and continuously loading this team with talent? well i would agree the only thing i could see is the cap situation and eventually hitting us badly where we cant even sign decent starters in some area's

Harooni
01-02-2013, 02:04 AM
i gotta think he'd be clear into our next HC being given more than a long enough chance to be successful and if not he goes with the next HC if its a bust imo which could be a decade lol u never knowyour probably right.

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Every GM will have busts - nature of the game - but here is where he is different, he has found 3 stars in draft/udfa and several other key talents every where else. Every team has these stories but I think reese has a lot more positive then most - i realize i am missing many names - just post season tired.

Stars - JPP, Hakeem Cruz.
Very good players - snee, AB, Beatty, Prince, boley
Late round contributors - ab, kuhn, ab2 (Eventually),
Scrap heap fa steals and udfa's - cruz, chase, kivika, boothe, locklear, stevie brown, martellus, hixon,

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 02:06 AM
well i would agree the only thing i could see is the cap situation and eventually hitting us badly where we cant even sign decent starters in some area's

I think that is what eventually happens to every good team.

Harooni
01-02-2013, 02:09 AM
Every GM will have busts - nature of the game - but here is where he is different, he has found 3 stars in draft/udfa and several other key talents every where else. Every team has these stories but I think reese has a lot more positive then most - i realize i am missing many names - just post season tired.

Stars - JPP, Hakeem Cruz.
Very good players - snee, AB, Beatty, Prince, boley
Late round contributors - ab, kuhn, ab2 (Eventually),
Scrap heap fa steals and udfa's - cruz, chase, kivika, boothe, locklear, stevie brown, martellus, hixon,

he certainly has an eye for talent

Harooni
01-02-2013, 02:20 AM
Reese is here to stay for several years. Odds are that he will outlast the Eli and Coughlin era. i like reese but it seems the giants are going over the fiscal cliff.

BlueSanta
01-02-2013, 02:22 AM
i like reese but it seems the giants are going over the fiscal cliff.

That happens when you win 2 supebowls with largely the same roster. See the steelers problems in recent years for confirmation.

Harooni
01-02-2013, 02:25 AM
That happens when you win 2 supebowls with largely the same roster. See the steelers problems in recent years for confirmation.I hear you, he could have cut a few year by year. seems he kept restructuring their deals. i personally would have took the cap hits the year after the SB knowing how hard it is to repeat then 2013 im sitting pretty. we need some big time FA LB's.

BlueSanta
01-02-2013, 02:34 AM
I hear you, he could have cut a few year by year. seems he kept restructuring their deals. i personally would have took the cap hits the year after the SB knowing how hard it is to repeat then 2013 im sitting pretty. we need some big time FA LB's.

IMHO this offseason will be Reese's biggest test. We have a few guys who arent worth the paycheck they are due next year. Guys like : Canty, Diehl, Rolle, Boley and possibly Tuck to name a few.

Many of those guys are high priced FA that Reese brought in or resigned at high prices and they cant all come back. In fact, It it very likely we lose most of them.

That money could go a long way to signing some of our young studs.

myles2424
01-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Some may disagree with me, but I hate mid-late round projects that we do every single draft.....I can't stand going for someone nobody's ever heard of while there's obvious BPAs still on the board.....maybe one per draft.....

juice33s
01-02-2013, 04:53 AM
I don't think we'll fully know what we have in Reese untill he has to find his own QB/head coach....Just look at the GM's fired around the leage:
Tannenbaum- missed on Sanchize
Gene Smith/ Jags- missed on Gabbert
Rod graves/Cardinals- Hasn't been able to replace Warner
Tom Hekert/Browns- Never found a QB before getting desperate with some old guy

Reese was given a huge advantage with a solid foundation of a Coaching staff, QB, Dline, Oline.

EnragedYouth85
01-02-2013, 04:55 AM
I don't think we'll fully know what we have in Reese untill he has to find his own QB/head coach....Just look at the GM's fired around the leage:
Tannenbaum- missed on Sanchize
Gene Smith/ Jags- missed on Gabbert
Rod graves/Cardinals- Hasn't been able to replace Warner
Tom Hekert/Browns- Never found a QB before getting desperate with some old guy

Reese was given a huge advantage with a solid foundation of a Coaching staff, QB, Dline, Oline.

But he did help with the drafting of those players... he was a team scout and head of the scouting department at one point..

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 08:03 AM
IMHO this offseason will be Reese's biggest test. We have a few guys who arent worth the paycheck they are due next year. Guys like : Canty, Diehl, Rolle, Boley and possibly Tuck to name a few.

Many of those guys are high priced FA that Reese brought in or resigned at high prices and they cant all come back. In fact, It it very likely we lose most of them.

That money could go a long way to signing some of our young studs.

This.

Great points. This offseason IMO Reese has to make some moves.. Most of those guys I would think may restructure.. Mainly Rolle. Tuck probably wont be asked too. Not yet anyways.

Redeyejedi
01-02-2013, 08:19 AM
I think that is what eventually happens to every good team. Steelers are having issues to but no 1 wants to fire Tomlin. Only the Patriots have managed to not have a lull. Although I think playing in the AFC East has something to do with it

Edit: I take that back plenty of idiots on the Steelers board

CDN_G-FAN
01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
I wouldnt even expect that. I think as long as they are in the playoff hunt towards the end of the season nobody is getting fired.

+1

look at the teams that fired this year. either perenially dismal teams, or teams that perenially fall way short of expectations.

OX1
01-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Anyone think he may be in jeopardy if we miss or does 2 SB give him a pass for at least 4-5 more years?

I like Reese i preferred him over Ernie. I love how he drafts i loved how he was the first 2 seasons and would say what he felt but now days he 100 percent pc. one thing i dont like is how he manages the salary cap.

Now way, he brings enough talent that (when healthy) even Killdrive can't hold us down forever.

Toadofsteel
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Alright Harooni i'll bite...

JR is great at finding talent, but relies too much on workout warriors (aka projects). When it works out, great, but if not, it's a bust. Also, he drafts BPA all the time, as opposed to going need. Since OL is rarely BPA early on, he's let our o-line atrophy into something abysmal. Beatty (the only OL that Reese has ever picked in the first 3 rounds) is our only good OL now. We need to spend the first 3 picks on OL if we want to get in contention again. JR could have drafted OL early each year to keep our OL restocked and fresh, but now we're paying the price for it.

The only other problem I have with JR is the Ponzi scheme he's got going on with all that restructuring. Eventually he's not going to be able to field 53 people with all the cap hits he'd take just cutting people to get under the cap. We need to spend a year cutting all the overpaid cruft still under contract (Baas, Diehl, Tuck), and taking the cap hits up front, as opposed to letting them take more money for zero production over time. Then in 2014 we'd have a crapton of cap space available...