PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Embarrassment

BlueBlooded1979
01-02-2013, 03:02 AM
I am amazed that after 4 years of mediocre defenses that Giant fans will actually defend Fewell. Unless the pass rush was on fire this defense was disgustingly average. Giving up the kind of yardage they did shows that they are a soft group that is gambling on turnovers instead of playing physical defense. They simply can't go out there and impose their will on even average offenses.

Players are to blame as well, they gush over opposing QBs like dreamy eyed prom dates. They laugh on the sidelines with their idiot coach while getting pounded by Cincy and Baltimore. This soft culture extends throughout every aspect of the defense, the scheme, the play calling ,the players and the execution.

Say what you want about Spags in STL or NO, no one ever pushed around his defense in NY. His group was being talked about with Pittsburgh and Baltimore as a fearsome group that set the tone for the whole team. If they couldn't match up to another team they set out to beat on them for 4 quarters and see where the chips fell. Fewells group misses tackles trying strip the ball, blows coverage routinely, allows teams to run 8 min drives in the 4th quarter and has made an art form out of giving up 3rd and long.

After 4 years of fair to below average play does anyone think he is going to line up a hard hitting, take no ****, ferocious defense next year ?

giantsfan420
01-02-2013, 03:07 AM
i agree with where ur coming from, meaning i get the anger i feel it too. that said, I think JR can retool the personnel and the D be like it was 2010 and the playoffs 2011...we're not that far off despite the stats. a competent lethal DE opposite JPP and this D is much better. It wasnt that we needed the DL to be on fire, we just needed someone to be viable and Tuck and Osi could not consistently give that to us. If we can get a guy to be consistent in that role, the D is much better all around imo.

EnragedYouth85
01-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Fewell has been here for 4 years? I'm not so sure about that one. He got here in early 2010, so this would of been his 2nd year..

2010/2011 season and the 2011/2012 season that just ended..

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 03:19 AM
Well sheridan is gone for one - fewell's defense won a sb the year before and did a nice job against one of the best offenses in the league in the pats. He gets some rope for that - and they didnt look soft with the 50 some odd sacks. I saw LT laughing on the sidelines multiple times but i dont think anyone would consider him soft. Ive seen eli shrug his shoulders but if you dont think he is there leader your just not watching the same game. Not all coaches scowl like ditka or cowher but that doesn't mean they cant coach. Not a good year for sure but blaming him for four seems odd.

Out of Exile
01-02-2013, 04:15 AM
Fewell has been here for 4 years? I'm not so sure about that one. He got here in early 2010, so this would of been his 2nd year..

2010/2011 season and the 2011/2012 season that just ended..

This was his third season though. I don't he meant 4 years literally.

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Sheridan and Fewell to some are the same person. At least thats what they act like.. Fewell at least seems liked by the players. I think the players HATED sheridan. Oh, and Fewell helped contribute to our 4th Lombardi.. I think some fans dont really realize how many players played hurt and werent at 100% the whole year. Fewell deserves at least one more year IMO.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 07:31 AM
It's funny when people keep bringing up Spags when his defense was statistically worse than the Giants. His defense also allowed 110 points more than the Giants defense did.

SweetZombieJesus
01-02-2013, 07:50 AM
No, I agree we have been ranking at the bottom defensively and don't forget the disgusting lapses such as getting gashed up the middle or guys finding nice big holes in our zones for first downs on 3rd and 25 every single time they need it.

With Perry the defense only turns it on at times and usually because Perry's hit the panic button and changed things up. Last year's run was an example of that, they changed defensive style to reflect the injuries and guess what, it worked. Well why not play that way all the time, Perry?

It is disgusting to me that this defense is ranked so poorly, gives up amongst the most yardage in the league, and is pushed around.

VBGiantsFan
01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
It's funny when people keep bringing up Spags when his defense was statistically worse than the Giants. His defense also allowed 110 points more than the Giants defense did.

The attacking defense and the ability to utilize a talentless LB group is what Spags brought to the game. He didn't have the luxury of great safeties and still his secondary was worlds better than Fewells, and Fewell was supposed to be a great secondary scheming DC. That is the only reason we got him from Buffalo. It was assumed the DL pressure would take care of itself. Fewell has not improved our secondary at all.

Toadofsteel
01-02-2013, 08:26 AM
The only defensive failure I put on PF this year was continuing to play Tuck and Osi after they had proven they were only going through the motions. Put someone who is actually going to give two craps on the field. Other than that, you can't legislate injuries happening. PF at least tries to put different personnel groupings on the field. Nascar was primarily used back when we had 4 DE's playing at a pro-bowl level, 3-safety allowed us to put, well, 3 starters at Safety on the field, and the 4 linebacker set, while it didn't work, was at least a novel idea to try and give the line some help stopping the run. PF is trying out there at least...

The same can't be said for Killdrive, who stifles our offense because it doesn't fit his outmoded idea of what an offense should be. It's not until he pretty much gives up and lets Eli wing it near the end that Eli can really fly. If we had an OC that actually played to Eli's strengths, we would have that 4th quarter magic from last year, only ALL the time...

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
The attacking defense and the ability to utilize a talentless LB group is what Spags brought to the game. He didn't have the luxury of great safeties and still his secondary was worlds better than Fewells, and Fewell was supposed to be a great secondary scheming DC. That is the only reason we got him from Buffalo. It was assumed the DL pressure would take care of itself. Fewell has not improved our secondary at all.It didn't help that Webster was so bad this year, KP missed about half the season, and two of is DE's couldn't get any pressure on the QB.