PDA

View Full Version : Life without Cruz

PBTimmons
01-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Is anyone even considering the possibility that Cruz/Reese don't come to an agreement this offseason?

In Reese's closing press conference, he said " Obviously we talked a little during the season about an extension with him, but obviously it didn’t work out. We’ll see what happens during this offseason."

On paper that seems rather ominous.

My prediction: Cruz and the Giants don't come to an agreement before FA and Reese ends up putting a 1st round tender on Cruz.

-Maybe then the Bills or Panthers come along and offer him a deal we can't match. Just to throw some names up there.

Would Randle and Nicks with Jernigan/DePalma in the slot suffice?

Bottom line is there are plenty of possibilities, and to consider none that involve Cruz in another team's uniform is naive. I'd be willing to bet Reese prefers to keep Cruz, but he is paid to anticipate and react to all possible scenarios.

Thoughts?

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I think we keep Cruz before we keep Nicks.

PBTimmons
01-02-2013, 08:45 AM

And that's perfectly reasonable, but Nicks is not an RFA/UFA until next year. He has a contract for 2013 and there is no doubt he'll be in Blue playing it out. Cruz doesn't and that is the point of this thread

Fact of the matter is: Everyone is acting like Cruz is a sure thing to get re-signed. I'm looking to discuss the potential that he doesn't.

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Only positive about losing him is getting something in return because he is a RFA. Gut feeling though, he'll be back.. He's a fan favorite.. Local boy makes good. Gotta keep him.

Flip Empty
01-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Eli would be pissed if he was let go, I don' tthink it'll happen. Well, I hope it doesn't.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:13 AM

I tend to agree but ONLY because of Nicks' injury history. Fortunately, they can wait on Nicks to see how he plays next season.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Only positive about losing him is getting something in return because he is a RFA. Gut feeling though, he'll be back.. He's a fan favorite.. Local boy makes good. Gotta keep him.

They can tag him so he'll be back one way or another. They don't like using the tag so I think they will make him a good offer.

EnragedYouth85
01-02-2013, 09:16 AM
They can tag him so he'll be back one way or another. They don't like using the tag so I think they will make him a good offer.

He deserves a nice paycheck for sure, I think I read an article you posted about his tending being like 2.2 million or something like that if they tender him..

Moke
01-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Both will be here next year, guarantee. I think Cruz really wants to be a New York Giant and the Giants know his potential to be that slot receiver we need.

ozzie0075
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Is anyone even considering the possibility that Cruz/Reese don't come to an agreement this offseason?

In Reese's closing press conference, he said " Obviously we talked a little during the season about an extension with him, but obviously it didn’t work out. We’ll see what happens during this offseason."

My prediction: Cruz and the Giants don't come to an agreement before FA and Reese ends up putting a 1st round tender on Cruz.

-Maybe then the Bills or Panthers come along and offer him a deal we can't match. Just to throw some names up there.

Bottom line is there are plenty of possibilities, and to consider none that involve Cruz in another team's uniform is naive. I'd be willing to bet Reese prefers to keep Cruz, but he is paid to anticipate and react to all possible scenarios.

Thoughts?

More likely they would franchise tag him until a deal could be worked out.

freeoscar
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
I would be shocked and very disappointed if he doesn't return. He works well with Eli, loves being a Giant, is from Jersey, and is (from all available public information) a true class act, who honorably represents an organization that values that type of thing.

GiantLegend
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I'd be way more torn up about losing Nicks than Cruz.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 01:23 PM
After Jeremey Lin I believe anything is possible. The Jeremey Lin saga will go down there with the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees for $100K.

The Giants are just thick headed enough to let this happen.

BlueSanta
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
1 thing I have seen about Cruz is that he is smart and knows how to market himself. He was the top vote getter for the pro bowl, unless I am mistaken. That is a popularity contest, as we all know.

That said, he would be INSANE to leave the NY market if he could help it. Strahan knew it, and so does Cruz, if you are charismatic and marketable you fight tooth and nail to stay in NY. His playing career may end next year but this city will love him for a lifetime. Endorsements and post playing day careers are built out of being a popular sports athlete in NYC.

G-Men Surg.
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
I think FO would like to sign Cruz this year and put that behind because if Cruz plays this year under the tag or with a tender offer the possibility of signing Cruz and Nicks next year sounds unlikely.

BigBlue1971
01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
i think Cruz will get a long term deal in the near future! he is a pro-bowler and prolly one of the best slot receivers in the game!

he was hampered by team inconsistencies and injuries but on the whole played good ball!

hopefully all that can be put behind him in 2013 and he continues to progress and improve in this offense!

no way will he be let go imo!

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 01:50 PM
After Jeremey Lin I believe anything is possible. The Jeremey Lin saga will go down there with the Red Sox trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees for $100K.

The Giants are just thick headed enough to let this happen.

Jeremy Lin?

Absolutely not worth the money. Knicks made the (rare) right decision.

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 01:54 PM

Thoughts?

I think we'll keep him. And worst case scenario the Giants franchise tag him and we get the picks. I love the guy but he sure ain't the most consistent receiver around.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:54 PM
I think FO would like to sign Cruz this year and put that behind because if Cruz plays this year under the tag or with a tender offer the possibility of signing Cruz and Nicks next year sounds unlikely.

It's to everyone's advantage to sign Cruz now and for 4 - 5 years and work on Nicks, assuming he has a healthy, productive next season, next year.

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
It's to everyone's advantage to sign Cruz now and for 4 - 5 years and work on Nicks, assuming he has a healthy, productive next season, next year.

That would be ideal.

Giantz4Life
01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Luckily, we have a good situation with Nicks as of now. I believe the Giants FO will basically say to Hakeem: "Let's see you play healthy for the majority of the next season, and then we can talk big numbers." He can no doubt be a big producer when healthy so I think he will have something to prove next year both for himself and for his contract.

I think we will definitely work a deal out with Cruz in the offseason. Reese is not going to let a guy of his caliber just walk unless his terms are completely unreasonable. Like others have mentioned, I get that sincere feeling that he honestly wants to stay with the Giants. Eli and Cruz have a great connection and I am sure that both would be disappointed if they were not playing together.

Let's just have faith that Reese & Co. will do what is best for our franchise.

thegreatone
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Unless Cruz is asking for megatron/fitz like money he will be a giant. I'm sure reese will cut dead weight if need beto free up the cap space to keep him. IMO retaining Cruz is the no1 priority

G-Men Surg.
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Of course but if Nicks comes roaring back playing great then I do see him exploring FA territory. If memory serves me well I remember him talking about his value and he valued himself along side Fitz and Megatron. Time will tell.

PBTimmons
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
1 thing I have seen about Cruz is that he is smart and knows how to market himself. He was the top vote getter for the pro bowl, unless I am mistaken. That is a popularity contest, as we all know.

That said, he would be INSANE to leave the NY market if he could help it. Strahan knew it, and so does Cruz, if you are charismatic and marketable you fight tooth and nail to stay in NY. His playing career may end next year but this city will love him for a lifetime. Endorsements and post playing day careers are built out of being a popular sports athlete in NYC.

Very good post. I believe this to be completely valid.

Riverboat76
01-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Cruz will be here long-term. Nicks on the other hand...

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
We shall see, I guess. Ideally, we keep both Cruz and Nicks longterm, and let them play with Randle while he hopefully tears it up over the duration of his rookie contract. That would give us one hell of a young WR core.

Ladder27
01-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Eli would be pissed if he was let go, I don' tthink it'll happen. Well, I hope it doesn't.

Who's to say Eli don't give some money back to keep him.

Drez
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
It seems we only use the tag on players that we know we'll be able resign while finishing the details on a long term deal (Jacobs a few years back, Weatherford last offseason),

Drez
01-02-2013, 04:49 PM

The NFL is big enough that it doesn't really matter (or at least as much as in other sports) where he plays as far as endorsements are concerned, so long as he continues to make plays. At this point, he nailing national endorsements anyway.

Carter.525
01-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Cruz and Reese will get it done.. Its his destiny to be in NY, and no I couldnt imagine life without him

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Of course but if Nicks comes roaring back playing great then I do see him exploring FA territory. If memory serves me well I remember him talking about his value and he valued himself along side Fitz and Megatron. Time will tell.

Neither NIcks nor Cruz is in that league but as others have pointed out, a healthy Nicks, Cruz and Randle is a tremendous receiving corps. Here's hoping that's where we end up.

BlueSanta
01-02-2013, 05:57 PM
The NFL is big enough that it doesn't really matter (or at least as much as in other sports) where he plays as far as endorsements are concerned, so long as he continues to make plays. At this point, he nailing national endorsements anyway.

Nonsense, players who play in big markets are 100x more marketable than small market players, and there is no bigger market than NYC.

RUN BRADSHAW
01-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Id rather keep cruz and get rid of Nicks. At least Cruz is durable and can stay off the damn IR unlike Nicks.

giantsfan420
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
also, keep in mind cruz has seen whats happened to guys that have left and things working out terribly. hixon was talking about it in an article rf posted. i doubt hixons the only guy noticing that, cruz is smart enough to recognize it as well. Not saying Cruz wont get whats fair, just saying I doubt he acts irrationally or puts himself out of our market

giantsfan420
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
and as much as itd suck to lose cruz, i never thought we'd replace ss12 and we not only replaced him we improved. life would go on, and i suspect the offense would find some way to thrive.

bigjeep
01-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Money talks, everyone else walks! Remember Lin with the Knicks. A team can offer him money that the Giants can't or will not match. And he's hot right now. Lots of teams out there with lots of money and the Giants are a very conservative team.

The_ One
01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I think we keep Cruz before we keep Nicks.You are out of your mind, Nicks is the better player, Cruz has not been the same since he got his bell rung. If he wants to leave, then so be it, remember how everyone got all crazy when Smith decided to leave, the Cruz came out of nowhere, well there is always someone new and hungry and ready to step up to the plate.

rar57
01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Go find another Nicks, there are plenty of slot type receivers to choose from.