PDA

View Full Version : Domenik Hixon Wary Of Potentially Leaving Giants: "Grass Isn't Green On The Other Sid

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 08:53 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/02/...he-other-side/ (http://www.giants101.com/2013/01/02/domneik-hixon-wary-of-potentially-leaving-new-york-giants-grass-isnt-green-on-the-other-side/)

Excerpt: "Often clutch and always under-appreciated, wide receiver Domenik Hixon (http://www.giants101.com/tag/domenik-hixon/) is one of many to-be free agents the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants will need to address this offseason. However, unlike most free agents in recent years, Hixon isn't in a rush out the front door, and has been made to understand that the money may be greener away from New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/), but the grass most certainly isn't.

"I talked to some guys who have left from here and the grass isnít green on the other side," Hixon said. "Weíll see what happens. Itís an exciting time though."

One of the guys Hixon likely talked to is former running back Brandon Jacobs (http://www.giants101.com/tag/brandon-jacobs/), who was recently released by the San Francisco 49ers after a public spat left him suspended for the latter part of the year. And never was there a more perfect example of "grass not being greener."

Of course, one could also ask wide receivers Steve Smith (http://www.giants101.com/tag/steve-smith/) and Plaxico Burress, tight ends Jake Ballard and Kevin Boss (although the former didn't leave by choice) and cornerback Aaron Ross.

More often than not, players who choose to leave the Giants for more money often appear to be kicking themselves, wishing they could return. Hixon certainly doesn't want to become one of those, but he's also earned himself some consideration around the league and the potential for a solid contract. And he's thankful to Big Blue for that opportunity." Read more...

FBomb
01-02-2013, 08:57 AM
This organization stuck by him when he was constantly injured. DH should take whatever deal the Giants offer him. They literally saved him from obscurity.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:02 AM
This organization stuck by him when he was constantly injured. DH should take whatever deal the Giants offer him. They literally saved him from obscurity.

It's not like he doesn't bring anything to the table, though. He's versatile, arguably the best route runner on the team, and probably most importantly, survived a season after two ACL tears. I think they will make him a decent offer that he will take. I don't see them keeping Braden or Beckum. He knows he owes Reese his career and he's never been a me first kind of guy.

nhpgiantsfan
01-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Couldn't think of a better #4 receiver for us next year. And a contributor on specials. Hopefully the come to an agreement.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Football isn't forever and yes the organization did help him but the bigger picture is that we must all take care of our families and if someone offers you a bigger contract I think you should take it. He has rings with the Giants and I know this a great organization to be a part of but secure your future if you can. If the price isn't significantly bigger then sure stay but if we're talking several million, I say go for it and become a mentor to some other young players who possibly need it to get them over the hump. Ex. Sam Madison and RW McQuarters (they weren't champs before coming to NY but they were great additions as far as a veteran presence in our secondary).

EnragedYouth85
01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Hixon will be on this team next year, whenever he's in he contribute and is a team first guy. Those are the kind of guys this team likes! We are kind of heavy at WR so I could see it like this next year: Nicks, Cruz, Hixon, Randle, Jernigan and if we carry a sixth, Barden could be here or maybe a low draft pick or some cheap veteran from FA.

njg85m
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
He proved this year that he can be a reliable and valuable receiver. Only concern I have ever had about DH is that he never seemed like he was able to stay healthy. But he did everything he could this year to prove that he can stay healthy, so hopefully he's wearing blue next year. If not, good luck to him.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
It's not like he doesn't bring anything to the table, though. He's versatile, arguably the best route runner on the team, and probably most importantly, survived a season after two ACL tears. I think they will make him a decent offer that he will take. I don't see them keeping Braden or Beckum. He knows he owes Reese his career and he's never been a me first kind of guy.

No arguement here. I love the guy.....just saying, most other organizations would have let him go. He needs to consider that when making his decisions.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:17 AM
I don't think a person is "me" kind of person if he takes more money. Jacobs would've been fine had they let him play. I drive a truck delivering to the biggest fast food chain in america(I know comparing millions to thousands is a huge difference), my job is stable, I had incidents and I haven't been fired, they gave me time off to help my sister but if a better company comes along and offers me $15, 000 more a year and better benefits... does that make me a "me" person for taking it or does that make me someone who is thinking about my family's future?

RoanokeFan
No arguement here. I love the guy.....just saying, most other organizations would have let him go. He needs to consider that when making his decisions.

I think his acknowledging the grass isn't necessarily green on the other side is a signal to Reese to make him a decent offer. A lot of p;layers WANT to be here and he's one of them.

Moke
I love Hixon. I really think it'd be foolish for him to go anywhere else and try the market. Really am not sure how many teams would take him and look how many chances we gave him through his injuries.

nhpgiantsfan
He will also have agree to being the number 4 WR. Randle is probably going to be the #3 next year.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't think a person is "me" kind of person if he takes more money. Jacobs would've been fine had they let him play. I drive a truck delivering to the biggest fast food chain in america(I know comparing millions to thousands is a huge difference), my job is stable, I had incidents and I haven't been fired, they gave me time off to help my sister but if a better company comes along and offers me $15, 000 more a year and better benefits... does that make me a "me" person for taking it or does that make me someone who is thinking about my family's future?

You're right, it depends on what the difference is between and among offers. I'm suggesting he would take a lower salary if it were marginally better to stay here. Bennett has said the same things.

Look at Jacobs as an aexample. He went across the country for $500,000. Ask him if it was worth it.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:20 AM
He will also have agree to being the number 4 WR. Randle is probably going to be the #3 next year.

I don't think that will factor into it. Randle is supposed to move up the ladder. Hixon's versatility is valuable.

kbusch22
01-02-2013, 09:25 AM
I'd love to keep Hixon around. I do think Randle should get the bulk of the work at #3 WR, but Hixon's a nice guy to plug in occasionally and has the versatility that you'd like in a reserve.

I see Jernigan being back too as the #5 WR. The only receiver I see leaving is Barden...who I still think has some potential but can probably find a suitor to give him more playing time. The new #6 could be a guy like DePalma, or an undrafted rookie.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
I'd love to keep Hixon around. I do think Randle should get the bulk of the work at #3 WR, but Hixon's a nice guy to plug in occasionally and has the versatility that you'd like in a reserve.

I see Jernigan being back too as the #5 WR. The only receiver I see leaving is Barden...who I still think has some potential but can probably find a suitor to give him more playing time. The new #6 could be a guy like DePalma, or an undrafted rookie.

Hes a good guy to have when the "Next Man Up" needs to be reliable.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:29 AM
You're right, it depends on what the difference is between and among offers. I'm suggesting he would take a lower salary if it were marginally better to stay here. Bennett has said the same things.

Look at Jacobs as an aexample. He went across the country for $500,000. Ask him if it was worth it.$500, 000 is peanuts in their world so I don't think it was worth it. I want Hixon to stay but if he leaves for a significantly bigger contract, I'm not gonna look at him as a bad guy. I would probably do the same because once you start getting up there in age, you automatically start thinking about life after football. Hixon had injuries... his career can end on his next practice.

EliDaMANning
01-02-2013, 09:31 AM
As long as he stops taking bad angles on deep passes he's good as they come.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
$500, 000 is peanuts in their world so I don't think it was worth it. I want Hixon to stay but if he leaves for a significantly bigger contract, I'm not gonna look at him as a bad guy. I would probably do the same because once you start getting up there in age, you automatically start thinking about life after football. Hixon had injuries... his career can end on his next practice.

Who said anything about his being a bad guy? It's his life and he will do what he believes is the right thing. Every player's career can end on teh next play.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Who said anything about his being a bad guy? It's his life and he will do what he believes is the right thing.Not you but trust me and you should know this... there are people who would call him selfish or greedy.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Not you but trust me and you should know this... there are people who would call him selfish or greedy.

Uh-oh.....someone is still a little butt hurt about some of us not wanting to **** Osi for making an *** of himself by trying to embarass the team into giving him more money.......which he proved he didn't deserve.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Not you but trust me and you should know this... there are people who would call him selfish or greedy.

You've never seen my ignore list. Works wonders. :rolleyes:

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Uh-oh.....someone is still a little butt hurt about some of us not wanting to **** Osi for making an *** of himself by trying to embarass the team into giving him more money.......that he proved he didn't deserve.

You know we don't get those kinds of calls right most of the time, but Osi was sure worthy of the scorn he got.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
You know we don't get those kinds of calls right most of the time, but Osi was sure worthy of the scorn he got.

IMO, he stole from the Giants.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Uh-oh.....someone is still a little butt hurt about some of us not wanting to **** Osi for making an *** of himself by trying to embarass the team into giving him more money.......which he proved he didn't deserve.Osi helped in our Superbowl run, he just had a down year like almost everyone else. He's getting up there in age and he knows it... we as humans, well most of us always try to improve as far as monetary status.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Osi helped in our Superbowl run, he just had a down year like almost everyone else. He's getting up there in age and he knows it... we as humans, well most of us always try to improve as far as monetary status.

It was NEVER about him wanting more money.....it was ALWAYS about the way he conducted his business.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:49 AM
It was NEVER about him wanting more money.....it was ALWAYS about the way he conducted his business.He just took a page out of the Strahan and LT handbook if you ask me.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 09:52 AM
He just took a page out of the Strahan and LT handbook if you ask me.

I didn't, but that's beside the point.:D It wasn't ok for them either.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
You didn't have to ask, I told you but you can have a nice day... I'm off this, I gotta try to convince somebody to sell me a pickup truck. If I had more money I wouldn't have to get my credit checked... catch my drift?

FBomb
01-02-2013, 09:57 AM
You didn't have to ask, I told you but you can have a nice day... I'm off this, I gotta try to convince somebody to sell me a pickup truck. If I had more money I wouldn't have to get my credit checked... catch my drift?

Good luck.

BurnerNYG
01-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Good luck.Thanks... I'm gonna need it.

drewz
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Hixon is still a relatively young guy and should be kept as insurance in case Cruz and Nicks can't be worked out long term

Toadofsteel
01-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I think we keep Hixon for 2 or 3 more years. Barden is the guy that gets shown the door.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
It was NEVER about him wanting more money.....it was ALWAYS about the way he conducted his business.

+1

gmen46
01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
I think we keep Hixon for 2 or 3 more years. Barden is the guy that gets shown the door.

I'm sure I'm alone in this thinking, but I actually think Barden could be offered a modest contract extension (in terms of dollars and length) to remain as the 5th or 6th WR.

He certainly has not shown any other team he has huge upside--like Manningham or pre-injury Smith--to warrant any head-turning contract, yet he has shown the Giants that he can on occasion step in when we're down a couple of injured WRs.

I mean, somebody has to be the 6th receiver for us. And the alternative to keeping Barden on the "cheap" as our 5th/6th receiver would be to sign some unknown veteran WR from another team who likely has not produced more for his team than Barden did for us this year, or to draft a mid-round WR (which could happen in any event) with a big "X" factor.

And Barden, if he has the sense god gave him, will not be actually expecting a very lucrative offer from another team. Although one never knows for certain what a given team with huge WR needs might do, I realize.

I just think that given that 2012 was the first year as a pro Barden remained relatively healthy the entire season, and produced the few times he was asked--most notably the Panthers game, but also occasional role he performed well throughout the season--Barden could legitimately be viewed as our 5th/6th back up receiver (kind of like Thomas and Clayton were 1, 2 years ago when we desperately needed back ups to our fallen WRs.

Just a possibility that crossed my mind. Either way, he won't be attracting mega bucks, so who knows?

bklyn1028
01-02-2013, 03:04 PM
I think they should dump him, unless he shaves...lol

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 03:13 PM
I've done a complete 180 on Hixon. I used to see him as just one of those TC-favorites, high character guys, who played despite seemingly better options behind them, e.g DJ Ware, David Diehl, Danny Clark when he was here, etc. Now I see him as a legitimate third option, who is very capable at starting here and there.

Couple that with my admiration for his character, and he is one of my favorite players on the whole squad.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I've done a complete 180 on Hixon. I used to see him as just one of those TC-favorites, high character guys, who played despite seemingly better options behind them, e.g DJ Ware, David Diehl, Danny Clark when he was here, etc. Now I see him as a legitimate third option, who is very capable at starting here and there.

Couple that with my admiration for his character, and he is one of my favorite players on the whole squad.

This is part of his versatility. He can the the # 3 or 4 and when The # 1 or 2 go down, they can plug him in and he knows exactly what his role is.

jomo
01-02-2013, 03:52 PM
This is part of his versatility. He can the the # 3 or 4 and when The # 1 or 2 go down, they can plug him in and he knows exactly what his role is.
None of this comes as a surprise. The man has showed character and class since his arrival here from Denver. I'd love to lock him up and see him remain prodcutive for a long time.

1986Bavaro
01-02-2013, 04:15 PM

My seats in the old stadium were near Mr. and Mrs. Hixon. They were really nice people and it is fairly obvious that they raised a thoughtful and respectful son. I believe Dominic will do the right thing and stay with the Giants. Besides, Mr Hixon let me wear his 2007 Super Bowl ring :)

Out of Exile
01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Hope he stays unless a team offers him a bigger deal that's guaranteed. I think he stays.

M00KIE
01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
I like Hixon, hope he's back next year.

moosedrool
01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
I could see him leaving if he had a shot to start AND had a quality QB throwing him the ball. MM got the shot to start but had Alex Smith and Kaepernick throwing him the ball. Not a wise move for the long term, even though his short term salary bump was pretty good.

The_ One
01-02-2013, 06:47 PM
In this sport called the NFL "Not For Long" as these players do not last long, I would take the highest bidder and RUN. In the end it's about the $, if a new employer offered you significantly more money to join their team what would you do, explain that to the wife and kids.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Domenik is grateful to Reese for taking a chance on him. I don't think he'll leave.