PDA

View Full Version : No Panic In Big Blueprint

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 09:55 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1231243 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/panic-big-blueprint-article-1.1231243)

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin is 66 years old and seems to have the energy of a man in his 40s. If he’s planning on retiring anytime soon, no one seems to know it. And Eli Manning will turn 32 on Thursday, and just based on what his brother is doing, he seems to have the genetics to play at least another 5-6 years.

So the idea that the Giants’ championship window is closing anytime soon is silly. They missed the playoffs by one game, thanks to four losses by a touchdown or less. They are still a “relevant” team, as GM Jerry Reese said and not far off from being a Super Bowl contender."

There’s no reason they can’t quickly retool and compete for a championship next year.

“Absolutely. No question,” Justin Tucksaid. “Obviously when you talk about championships it always starts with the quarterback position. And we have a great one. Then you go to the sum of the parts.”

Those parts, Tuck accurately said, include an offensive line that gave up a league-low 20 sacks, a running back (Ahmad Bradshaw) who gained 1,000 yards, and a young and dynamic receiving duo in Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. Yes, he admitted, the defense has “some holes” but it’s hardly void of talent, either.

“For whatever reason, it didn’t happen for us this year,” Tuck said. “But I have no reason to doubt we’ll have the opportunity to turn that around next year.”

It won’t take a massive rebuilding project or a spending spree either. The Giants are close to another run. Here’s how they can get closer:" Read more...

GameTime
01-02-2013, 09:56 AM
yep....as bad as they were at times only one win away from getting in....

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 09:59 AM
yep....as bad as they were at times only one win away from getting in....One field goal.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:04 AM
yep....as bad as they were at times only one win away from getting in....

It's a game of inches and seconds

Bosco
01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
At the beginning of the year, I looked at the schedule and said there was no way the Giants could make the playoffs. While the SB champs are supposed to get it tough, their schedule was ridiculous.

I think one of two things not happening would have made the Giants year: 1. Nicks not being hurt; 2. One or two less injuries in the secondary.

A healthy Nicks would have given us at least one or two more wins. opposing teams got to concentrate on Cruz. Looking back, too bad we didn't keep Manningham. HIxon just doesn't measure up to those three; Bennett could have helped a lot if he had been a force.

OUr secondary was dreadful most of the time. Partly a function of our mysterious lack of pass rush, but injuries hurt us there.

Moke
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM

For the Giants. For a lot of other teams, it's really not that much of a big deal at times.

EnragedYouth85
01-02-2013, 10:18 AM
We were in contention this year until the last game of the year and we will be in contention next year.. we have too much talent to not be..

FBomb
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
No for nothing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of panic or urgency in the offseason. Some of our SB heros are losing their shine.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:27 AM
No for nothing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of panic or urgency in the offseason. Some of our SB heros are losing their shine.

The question there is can they get it back? When I read Tuck saying he'll be around for a long time and he thinks he has 6 or 7 years left I cringe if he means here if he's not going to play any better than he did this season.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Why should they panic? It's been a long time since a Super Bowl winning team has won a post season game the next year. The Giants are not the only team to not qualify for the post season the year after winning the Super Bowl. The Steelers didn't qualify after they won it one year and where back in the Super Bowl soon after.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
“four losses by one touchdown or less” or words to that effect are excuses we hear from a number of teams year in and year out. The very fact that Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles losses were completely due to horrible offensive play calling and the refusal of management to do anything about that, speaks volumes. Many times we hear about our poor clock management and a lack of a sense of urgency and then we have this article to back it up. There were times this year when we looked ridiculous out there. We have so much talent on this team that our 2nd half collapse is embarrassing. There were public fear and lovefests from our Defensive Captain and malcontent DE in regard to Roach With Braids and their was some of the worst play calling we have ever witnessed by our OC and “we are close.” The excuses are ridiculous. In addition to the talent on this team, there is some dead weight, including our coordinators. It is time to get rid of the coordinators and get rid of some of the dead weight.

GameTime
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
sounds like my sex life....lol

GameTime
01-02-2013, 10:29 AM
“four losses by one touchdown or less” or words to that effect are excuses we hear from a number of teams year in and year out. The very fact that Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles losses were completely due to horrible offensive play calling and the refusal of management to do anything about that, speaks volumes. Many times we hear about our poor clock management and a lack of a sense of urgency and then we have this article to back it up. There were times this year when we looked ridiculous out there. We have so much talent on this team that our 2nd hald collapse is embarrassing. There were public fear and lovefests from our Defensive Captain and malcontent DE in regard to Roach With Braids and their was some of the worst play calling we have ever witnessed by our OC and “we are close.” The excuses are ridiculous. In addition to the talent on this team, there is some dead weight, including our coordinators. It is time to get rid of the coordinators and get rid of some of the dead weight.
all that you just said and only one loss from the playoffs....
and your descrption of RG is flat out immature and you sound like a an idiot

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:30 AM
sounds like my sex life....lol

Well,, er,,,,,OK :p

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:32 AM
“four losses by one touchdown or less” or words to that effect are excuses we hear from a number of teams year in and year out. The very fact that Washington Redskins and Philadelphia Eagles losses were completely due to horrible offensive play calling and the refusal of management to do anything about that, speaks volumes. Many times we hear about our poor clock management and a lack of a sense of urgency and then we have this article to back it up. There were times this year when we looked ridiculous out there. We have so much talent on this team that our 2nd half collapse is embarrassing. There were public fear and lovefests from our Defensive Captain and malcontent DE in regard to Roach With Braids and their was some of the worst play calling we have ever witnessed by our OC and “we are close.” The excuses are ridiculous. In addition to the talent on this team, there is some dead weight, including our coordinators. It is time to get rid of the coordinators and get rid of some of the dead weight.

Feel better?

FBomb
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Feel better?

You'd think so after vomiting out all that bile.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
all that you just said and only one loss from the playoffs....
and your descrption of RG is flat out immature and you sound like a an idiot

You are an idiot.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
You are an idiot.

You told him!!

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Feel better?

Just being real.

You feel better about another dissapointing and miserable 2nd half collapse once again by reading an excuse laden article?

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm not sure what the point(s) was (were)

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Why would I vomit? I didn’t eat at your mothers house.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 10:46 AM

MY MY....aren't we clever this morning? Now, say something about how fat my mama is. That will, without a doubt, prove your superior intellect to anyone else here.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Just being real.

You feel better about another dissapointing and miserable 2nd half collapse once again by reading an excuse laden article?

I've been at this since 1955. I've seen BAD and this ain't it. Far from perfect, but for those expecting perfection year in and year out should watch bowling or ping pong. I feel better than a lot of fans of a lot of other teams. We didn't make the playoffs this year, that's a disappointment. It's not the end of the world and it doesn't have to happen again next season.

We have to get ready for the next season with an evaluation of every current player and coach, FA signings/releases, the Draft, OTAs, and Training Camp. I don't want our front office taking two months to wring their hands in despair.

There is no advantage to looking back at what could have been, it wasn't. The only thing we can gain from looking back, maybe, is what went wrong and learn from it. That's what the evaluations will accomplish.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
MY MY....aren't we clever this morning? Now, say something about how fat my mama is. That will, without a doubt, prove your superior intellect to anyone else here.

She is probably not fat because she is such a bad cook that she and everyone else that eats it, immediately vomits it up.

So now why don’t you go run along and insert another one of your stupid little veiled insults when someone posts something you disagree with. That seems to suit you.

Mod_C
01-02-2013, 10:54 AM

OK, you are getting close to crossing a line here. Stay on topic or move on to another thread, but don't start this crap.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 10:56 AM
She is probably not fat because she is such a bad cook that she and everyone else that eats it, immediately vomits it up.

So now why don’t you go run along and insert another one of your stupid little veiled insults when someone posts something you disagree with. That seems to suit you.

No....I think I'll stick around...you know....just in case you say anything that ISN'T stupid. I'd hate to miss that. If it never happens, at least I can point and laugh at you, Corky. (Was that "veiled" enough for you?)

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 10:59 AM
I've been at this since 1955. I've seen BAD and this ain't it. Far from perfect, but for those expecting perfection year in and year out should watch bowling or ping pong. I feel better than a lot of fans of a lot of other teams. We didn't make the playoffs this year, that's a disappointment. It's not the end of the world and it doesn't have to happen again next season.

We have to get ready for the next season with an evaluation of every current player and coach, FA signings/releases, the Draft, OTAs, and Training Camp. I don't want our front office taking two months to wring their hands in despair.

There is no advantage to looking back at what could have been, it wasn't. The only thing we can gain from looking back, maybe, is what went wrong and learn from it. That's what the evaluations will accomplish.

It is not about perfection. It is not even just about winning and losing because if that were the case then we should all be happy for the next decade with the 2 SuperBowls we have won in the last 5 years. It is about wanting to consistently putting out a team that tries, year in and year out. Our 2nd half collapses have not been hard fought as of late. Our 2nd half collapses have been in part because we failed to show up for a number of games, and in part because of just horrible play calling and decision making from the HC on down.

When our HC states that “he has no idea” why these 2nd half collapses occur then it is time to reevaluate what is going on and if he is the right guy for the job.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 11:00 AM
No....I think I'll stick around...you know....just in case you say anything that ISN'T stupid. I'd hate to miss that. If it never happens, at least I can point and laugh at you, Corky. (Was that "veiled" enough for you?)

Awww, now you going to insinuate that I have Downs. Real bright. You miserable idiot.

gumby74
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
I think Reese taught us all to chill the eff out. As much as I'd love to have a new d-coordinator. I have faith.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Awww, now you going to insinuate that I have Downs. Real bright. You miserable idiot.

Sorry....I was fresh out of those witty and mature "your mama" jokes.

drewz
01-02-2013, 11:06 AM
One field goal.

One finger tip from being 3rd place.

RoanokeFan
It is not about perfection. It is not even just about winning and losing because if that were the case then we should all be happy for the next decade with the 2 SuperBowls we have won in the last 5 years. It is about wanting to consistently putting out a team that tries, year in and year out. Our 2nd half collapses have not been hard fought as of late. Our 2nd half collapses have been in part because we failed to show up for a number of games, and in part because of just horrible play calling and decision making from the HC on down.

When our HC states that “he has no idea” why these 2nd half collapses occur then it is time to reevaluate what is going on and if he is the right guy for the job.

Do we know why we "collapsed"? Before you start, the "coaches" isn't an answer that gets us anywhere. I don't think 9 - 7 says "collapsed."

NYGisBallin

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously bro?

TCHOF

Ah . . . perspective. How nice.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Fewell was the problem, and that has not been fixed........the 4 he insists on sending in there by themselves are geting older...we never saw a down of Ojomo despite having the leagues worst sack total

The only hope we have is to limp in to the playoffs next year with the leagues worst DC

FBomb
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Do we know why we "collapsed"? Before you start, the "coaches" isn't an answer that gets us anywhere. I don't think 9 - 7 says "collapsed."

To be fair....I think it was a terrible coaching decision to put DD back on the line after he got healthy.

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Roanoke, you should give some of these "fans" a history lesson remind them of 1964 through 1978... Present day is easy street!

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Fewell was the problem, and that has not been fixed........the 4 he insists on sending in there by themselves are geting older...we never saw a down of Ojomo despite having the leagues worst sack total

The only hope we have is to limp in to the playoffs next year with the leagues worst DC

yeah... if Ojomo got more snaps we would've made the playoffs EASY!!!!!!!! (Couldnt find bright enough red font for this)

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 11:14 AM

It is not the answer. However, the answer to keeping a team focused and consistent does have a lot to do with the coaches. It also has a lot to do with the players. A very telling event during Baltimore Ravens game that I found interesting. We were down by 2 TDs and the camera pans over to our sidelines to Justin Tuck in civillian clothes. He is laughing and joking with our players on the sidelines. There was no sense of urgency. The camera then goes over to Baltimore Ravens sidelines and pans over to Ray Lewis in civillian clothes. He is focused and seriously talking to his guys to keep them focused and in the game. Big difference in leadership. Is this because of the coaches, probably not. However, the coaches can remove the lackadasical attitude from the sidelines and they can try to keep the team focused if the players are not doing it themselves or they can pettition for management to bring in the players that can.

The fact that we are 9-7 and missed the playoffs by 1 game doesn’t excuse the fact that we have problems. Unless of course the goal is to only have a winning regular season.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Insofar as coaching decisions go, it was plain stupid to not give David Wilson more playing time this year. It was plain stupid to keep Hakeem Nicks out there when he was so banged up it was hurting us more than helping us. It was plain dumb to decide to throw less in the 2nd half against the worst passing defense in NFL in the 2nd Washington Redskins game. It was just plain dumb to call a pass play in the red zone against Philadelphia Eagles when all we needed was a field goal. It was plain dumb to start Double D. It was plain dumb to call predictable play after predicatable play. It was plain dumb to allow our Defensive Captain and malcontent DE to go and make public statements as to their fear over Bobby Gee 3. I know, you are going to say the caoch has nothing to do with that but how do you think Coach Tomlin or Coach Bellichek would have responded. I can go on and on in regrd to coaching but there is no need. It is plain awful.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 11:24 AM
To be fair....I think it was a terrible coaching decision to put DD back on the line after he got healthy.

I agree, but that didn't by itself cause the "collapse." People are hammering TC for now know what happened or why what happened happened. I'm not all that surprised he doesn't know. Actually, I'd be more upset if he knew and didn't fix it, assuming it was fixable during the season.

There seemed to be a mental breakdown for some players. Missing 18 of 36 tackles in one game is NOT coaching.
I just don't think it's any one thing. On defense I can point to Osi and Tuck for not providing the pass rush we ALL expected. That created more presure on the secondary where we were using turnstyle personnel moves depending on who was injured week after week.

But that doesn't explain the seriously deficient offense in some games. The usually unflappable Eli was flapped a lot. The OLine took all season to put in a better than average game. Nicks was hurt, Cruz was getting a lot of attention. Bennett was a bright spot for most of the season. Bradshaw is always injured, Brown was a great addition and then broke is leg. Wilson and Randle are the future and can build off of the success they had this season.

I hope the evaluation process points to something they can identity. If it does, then they can fix it. If not, we may never know.

We need to get rid of dead wood and bring in new players. And the whole cycle starts again.

I hope we make a push to sign OUR good free agents before we look outside.

FBomb
01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
I agree, but that didn't by itself cause the "collapse." People are hammering TC for now know what happened or why what happened happened. I'm not all that surprised he doesn't know. Actually, I'd be more upset if he knew and didn't fix it, assuming it was fixable during the season.

Well, I do think the play of the o-line was a big part of our poor offensive play in those games....but it doesn't account for everything. With Nicks being hurt all season, we missed Manningham FAR MORE than we thought we would.

Redeyejedi
01-02-2013, 11:33 AM
The question there is can they get it back? When I read Tuck saying he'll be around for a long time and he thinks he has 6 or 7 years left I cringe if he means here if he's not going to play any better than he did this season.Tuck has been bad for 2 seasons now. If he has Pro Bowls in him still why wasnt it shown this season. He looks done to me

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Tuck has been bad for 2 seasons now. If he has Pro Bowls in him still why wasnt it shown this season. He looks done to me

I think you're right and I absolutely don't see how he's still the defensive Captain.

Buddy333
01-02-2013, 11:41 AM
The worst decision they made this year was playing Nicks before the bye.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Well, I do think the play of the o-line was a big part of our poor offensive play in those games....but it doesn't account for everything. With Nicks being hurt all season, we missed Manningham FAR MORE than we thought we would.

When one phase of a team is off, the other two can still get you a win. But when both offense and defense are off, STs can only do so much

Gimaniac
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Seriously, Fewell failed at rotating fresh bodies into the line and pressuring the opposing QB this year.

Wasn't that our trademark not so long ago?

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

There seemed to be a mental breakdown for some players. Missing 18 of 36 tackles in one game is NOT coaching.
I just don't think it's any one thing. On defense I can point to Osi and Tuck for not providing the pass rush we ALL expected. That created more presure on the secondary where we were using turnstyle personnel moves depending on who was injured week after week.

But that doesn't explain the seriously deficient offense in some games. The usually unflappable Eli was flapped a lot. The OLine took all season to put in a better than average game. Nicks was hurt, Cruz was getting a lot of attention. Bennett was a bright spot for most of the season. Bradshaw is always injured, Brown was a great addition and then broke is leg. Wilson and Randle are the future and can build off of the success they had this season.

I hope the evaluation process points to something they can identity. If it does, then they can fix it. If not, we may never know.

We need to get rid of dead wood and bring in new players. And the whole cycle starts again.

I hope we make a push to sign OUR good free agents before we look outside.

I agree that missing tackles is on the players. However, this is a problem we have had for years and the fact that it has not been fixed is on the coaches.

Keeping Hakeem Nicks in games when he was banged up and more of detriment than a help to the team is on the coaches.

Starting Double D is on the coaches.

Forming an offensive gameplan that severely handcuffed our passing game against NFL worst passing defense because our Defensive Captain and malcontent DE were terrified of a rookie QB is on the coaches.

Predictable playcalling is on the coaches.

The team losing focus and motivation year in and year out is on the coaches.

The complete inability to adapt is on the coaches.

This coaching staff is bad. The very fact that TC refuses to replace our OC and DC at this point is laughable.

GameTime
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I agree that missing tackles is on the players. However, this is a problem we have had for years and the fact that it has not been fixed is on the coaches.

Keeping Hakeem Nicks in games when he was banged up and more of detriment than a help to the team is on the coaches.

Starting Double D is on the coaches.

Forming an offensive gameplan that severely handcuffed our passing game against NFL worst passing defense because our Defensive Captain and malcontent DE were terrified of a rookie QB is on the coaches.

Predictable playcalling is on the coaches.

The team losing focus and motivation year in and year out is on the coaches.

The complete inability to adapt is on the coaches.

This coaching staff is bad. The very fact that TC refuses to replace our OC and DC at this point is laughable.
wow we really sucked...
oh wait....only one game shy of being in the playoffs...
you would think the Giants were 3-13 after reading your post

TheAnalyst
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
One field goal.

That , IMO, was Coughlins / Gilbrides fault.

flashnando
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM

We talking football still? or sex ? lol sorry had to

JJC7301
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
While I'm disappointed that we're not able to defend our status as SB champs in the playoffs, I have faith in this FO and team. I do believe, however, that more talent than usual needs to be imported in order to improve the 2 lines, but I believe that we'll be in a good position in 2013. I certainly don't believe that the wheels have fallen off.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
That , IMO, was Coughlins / Gilbrides fault.

Coughlin said he wished he hadn't called that. BUT, had Eli placed that ball where it belonged, the worst that would have happened is Barden dropped it or was overthrown and we would have still be in field goal range. But Eli threw it where it favored the defender and Barden had to cause a penalty to prevent the interception.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
We talking football still? or sex ? lol sorry had to

I was talking football, but a few others have been a bit revealing in their responses lol

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Coughlin said he wised he hadn't called that. BUT, had Eli placed that ball where it belonged, the worst that would have happened is Barden dropped it or was overthrown and we would have still be in field goal range. But Eli threw it where it favored the defender and Barden had to cause a penalty to prevent the interception.

I understand where you are coming from but it was the wrong call and did cost us the game.

In regard to Eli’s throw, we can also argue that Lawrence Tynes should be able to hit a 50 yarder.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I understand where you are coming from but it was the wrong call and did cost us the game.

In regard to Eli’s throw, we can also argue that Lawrence Tynes should be able to hit a 50 yarder.

You are talking to the poster boy for "it's never one person's fault." The failures we witnessed were team failures as are the wins.

The truth is had Barden caught the ball inbounds we'd still be hearlding him as the new Tyree/Manningham. It's so easy for us to say a play/decision sucks after it has failed.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
You are talking to the poster boy for "it's never one person's fault." The failures we witnessed were team failures as are the wins.

The truth is had Barden caught the ball inbounds we'd still be hearlding him as the new Tyree/Manningham. It's so easy for us to say a play/decision sucks after it has failed.

I understand where you are coming from and this year does fall on the entire team. However, Eli Manning has had problems with short passes this season. Do you think that maybe knowing that, the coaches go to a higher percentage play in that situation like say running the ball and taking the field goal?

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM
I understand where you are coming from and this year does fall on the entire team. However, Eli Manning has had problems with short passes this season. Do you think that maybe knowing that, the coaches go to a higher percentage play in that situation like say running the ball and taking the field goal?

Eli Manning had a bad year overall IMO. I don't think it was ALL him as the Oline was an issue, Nicks was injured, running game was iffy, etc.

giantsforce
01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
No for nothing, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit of panic or urgency in the offseason. Some of our SB heros are losing their shine.How true. They need a big sense of urgency. It shows that they are content with the mediocre effort they put forth this year. Both Players and coaches need to change their thinking and not take anything for granted. It seems that the team under Coughlin gets too complacent when they get the lead either during the game or in the standings. The fact that the coaching staff is too slow to react is bothersome. Great example the Dallas game: we get ahead by 20 points and then they just shut it down and the coaches are passive bystanders instead of lighting the fire under the players feet. everything begins and ends with leadership and there a is a huge void there.

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Eli Manning had a bad year overall IMO. I don't think it was ALL him as the Oline was an issue, Nicks was injured, running game was iffy, etc.

I agree with you but Eli does get the most blame insofar as the players go. He is the guy that is supposed to fire them up when times are tough.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I agree with you but Eli does get the most blame insofar as the players go. He is the guy that is supposed to fire them up when times are tough.

He also gets a lion's share of the credit when we win

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 04:03 PM
He also gets a lion's share of the credit when we win

He does. How Eli Manning goes is how this team goes.