PDA

View Full Version : Django Unchained.....

Cool Papa B.
01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I took my wife to see Django last night. I'm still not sure what I think of it. One thing is for sure though; if there was any doubt I think it's clear now that Tarantino has an infatuation with the "N" word and violence. I actually think he wakes up in the morning and forces himself to say the "N" word 100 times just to make himself feel good inside.

I get that the setting of the movie is during slavery, but geez, the way he used the word and the amount of times used was just crazy. And the gory violence, particularly the slave fighting scence was very disturbing and not even accurate. There is no record of "slave/Mandingo fighting. Slave masters didn't let them fight to the death like that because of economics- one less slave not working meant less money in their pocket.

It didn't feel like a 2hr 45min. film at all. I think The dialogue in the film is very good and I think made the film move along well.

Tarantino is a very creative director, but this is one movie of his- this and Death Proof- that I didn't like.

Moke
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Lots of people enjoyed it and a lot of people had gripes with the same problems you had. That being said, it's a movie in the long run and we shouldn't take it so seriously.

I can't wait to see this movie to make further judgement, but not sure when I'll be able to watch it.

Rudyy
01-02-2013, 10:22 AM
My family went to see it and they love it. I haven't seen it yet. I did hear it was bery gory and brutal to watch but still an excellent film. You weren't the only one disturbed about the language, many people have commented on it. I think IMDB or some site said they used it 110 times? Wow.

Moke
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
110 times? I mean it was a slavery movie so I can understand... but then again, I can see why it was obsessive lol

Rudyy
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
110 times? I mean it was a slavery movie so I can understand... but then again, I can see why it was obsessive lolYeah. It's so funny because my family didn't have a problem with it at all LOL but I can see why it can make some people uncomfortable.

Cool Papa B.
01-02-2013, 10:52 AM
My family went to see it and they love it. I haven't seen it yet. I did hear it was bery gory and brutal to watch but still an excellent film. You weren't the only one disturbed about the language, many people have commented on it. I think IMDB or some site said they used it 110 times? Wow.

I get the historical setting. This is the South circa 1858. I get that. It's hard for me to explain. I guess you will have to see it for yourself, but it's not so much how many times the "N" word was used, but HOW it was used that was just so ridiculous for me.

I really believe that Tarantino just loves using that word. I think he gets wet dreams just thinking about it.

Giantz4Life
01-02-2013, 01:12 PM
This has long been a discussion regarding Tarantino and the "N word" long before Django. The guy is an incredible director and writer in my opinion, and you know what you are getting when you goto see one of his films: over-the-top violence, extreme profanity, and basically anything bold and outrageous that you can imagine (including racial slurs etc) . I read that Spike Lee boycotted the film. What a self-righteous washed up hypocrite he is. I have spoken with a friend/co-worker who is black, and she had no problem with the film.

Rudyy
01-02-2013, 02:04 PM
This has long been a discussion regarding Tarantino and the "N word" long before Django. The guy is an incredible director and writer in my opinion, and you know what you are getting when you goto see one of his films: over-the-top violence, extreme profanity, and basically anything bold and outrageous that you can imagine (including racial slurs etc) . I read that Spike Lee boycotted the film. What a self-righteous washed up hypocrite he is. I have spoken with a friend/co-worker who is black, and she had no problem with the film.Spike Lee should be ashamed of himself. First and foremost he didnt even SEE the film. Second of all, he's mad about Quentin using the N word? His movies had people using the N word too! Then he said "It's disrespectful to our ancestors". Riiight, because we don't have white ancestors? Grow up Spike. My family is African American and they did not have a problem with the film. (I didnt see it yet).

Cool Papa B.
01-02-2013, 02:32 PM
This has long been a discussion regarding Tarantino and the "N word" long before Django. The guy is an incredible director and writer in my opinion, and you know what you are getting when you goto see one of his films: over-the-top violence, extreme profanity, and basically anything bold and outrageous that you can imagine (including racial slurs etc) . I read that Spike Lee boycotted the film. What a self-righteous washed up hypocrite he is. I have spoken with a friend/co-worker who is black, and she had no problem with the film.

I agree with you on Spike Lee. I don't know him personally, but he looks and sounds like a guy trying to stay relevent. The funny thing is during his prime, Spike was constantly attacked by Amiri Baracka and Spike called him a washed up artist trying to find a way to be relevant. He comes off as such a phony!!!!!

I'm Nigerian-American and some of my friends who are white feel like Tarantino uses the "N" word too much and don't like how he uses it. It's not a matter of race it really about what the word stands for, and what it means IMO.

Giantz4Life
01-02-2013, 02:53 PM
I agree with you on Spike Lee. I don't know him personally, but he looks and sounds like a guy trying to stay relevent. The funny thing is during his prime, Spike was constantly attacked by Amiri Baracka and Spike called him a washed up artist trying to find a way to be relevant. He comes off as such a phony!!!!!

I'm Nigerian-American and some of my friends who are white feel like Tarantino uses the "N" word too much and don't like how he uses it. It's not a matter of race it really about what the word stands for, and what it means IMO.

I could see how some people would be put off by Tarantino. Honestly, he does like to tip-toe that boundary line in terms of his filmmaking, and he does come off as slightly arrogant himself. I haven't seen the movie for myself yet so I cannot say, but based on my love for Tarantino I can understand what you mean when you say that. I believe Spike Lee made a statement when Pulp Fiction was released regarding this same topic.

Laurah1275
01-02-2013, 03:29 PM
I really want to see this movie, I just have one question to ask...Is it anything like Amistad? I saw that movie once, and could never watch it again...I have no problem with language and violence, but that movie was too much! I love anything Tarantino does, so I'm considering it.

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
I took my wife to see Django last night. I'm still not sure what I think of it. One thing is for sure though; if there was any doubt I think it's clear now that Tarantino has an infatuation with the "N" word and violence. I actually think he wakes up in the morning and forces himself to say the "N" word 100 times just to make himself feel good inside.

I get that the setting of the movie is during slavery, but geez, the way he used the word and the amount of times used was just crazy. And the gory violence, particularly the slave fighting scence was very disturbing and not even accurate. There is no record of "slave/Mandingo fighting. Slave masters didn't let them fight to the death like that because of economics- one less slave not working meant less money in their pocket.

It didn't feel like a 2hr 45min. film at all. I think The dialogue in the film is very good and I think made the film move along well.

Tarantino is a very creative director, but this is one movie of his- this and Death Proof- that I didn't like.

My wife and I saw it yesterday afternoon. I am a guy who thinks QT is the greatest film artist since Kubrick. I thought it wasn't his best effort but it was still a very compelling film. It rambled around a bit but the end was outstanding. It just took a lot of stops and starts to get there.
My biggest reaction to the film was historical. Was this really going on in our Country? I suppose it was. If so its amazing how barbaric some were in the 19th century.
Tarantino is brilliant, and he can take me anywhere, even in a world where WWII was rewritten or where you could actually bring Samurai swords on airplanes. This was a fine film as well but I suppose I'm spoiled with his work always being so brilliant. But even though I don't think this was his best work, it may be the film that stays with me the longest.

Laurah1275
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
My wife and I saw it yesterday afternoon. I am a guy who thinks QT is the greatest film artist since Kubrick. I thought it wasn't his best effort but it was still a very compelling film. It rambled around a bit but the end was outstanding. It just took a lot of stops and starts to get there.
My biggest reaction to the film was historical. Was this really going on in our Country? I suppose it was. If so its amazing how barbaric some were in the 19th century.
Tarantino is brilliant, and he can take me anywhere, even in a world where WWII was rewritten or where you could actually bring Samurai swords on airplanes. This was a fine film as well but I suppose I'm spoiled with his work always being so brilliant. But even though I don't think this was his best work, it may be the film that stays with me the longest.I can tell you love Tarantino, with your GoGo avatar :)

What a bad ***** she was!

Cool Papa B.
01-02-2013, 04:14 PM
I really want to see this movie, I just have one question to ask...Is it anything like Amistad? I saw that movie once, and could never watch it again...I have no problem with language and violence, but that movie was too much! I love anything Tarantino does, so I'm considering it.

The movie is nothing like Amistad. In its heart of hearts Django is a spaghetti-western with the theme of slavery attached to the main character.

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
The movie is nothing like Amistad. In its heart of hearts Django is a spaghetti-western with the theme of slavery attached to the main character.
That's true. Tarantino loves to use old genres and revitalize them. I love how he uses modern music in historical movies. The guy is flat brilliant.
BTW...How fat was he in that scene he was in. Could barely recognize him.

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
I can tell you love Tarantino, with your GoGo avatar :)

What a bad ***** she was!
GoGo is my Sheltie's name as well.

Rudyy
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
GoGo is my Sheltie's name as well.Does your dog have the personality of GoGo? lol

Morehead State
01-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Does your dog have the personality of GoGo? lol
No...She's a wonderful couch potato. Very sweet. Never even growled at anyone in her life....Unlike me.

myles2424
01-07-2013, 04:56 AM
1.The movie was about slavery,if the N word in a movie about slavery bothers you, then your looking to find something wrong with the movie in the first
place, or your a white person that didnt feel comfortable sitting through a movie that has white people depicted as cruel heartless people....

2.Its a tarrentio movie, if your not a fan of his, dont watch this flick....His movies are supposed to be controversial & over the top....

3.This is literally based on the history of this country & these things actually happend....If these harsh realities bother your or make you feel uncomfortable
then im sorry, this movie shows some of the terrible things that happend during slavery, if it more realistic then infact the N word shouldve probably been
used even more....

Morehead State
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
1.The movie was about slavery,if the N word in a movie about slavery bothers you, then your looking to find something wrong with the movie in the first
place, or your a white person that didnt feel comfortable sitting through a movie that has white people depicted as cruel heartless people....

2.Its a tarrentio movie, if your not a fan of his, dont watch this flick....His movies are supposed to be controversial & over the top....

3.This is literally based on the history of this country & these things actually happend....If these harsh realities bother your or make you feel uncomfortable
then im sorry, this movie shows some of the terrible things that happend during slavery, if it more realistic then infact the N word shouldve probably been
used even more....

This is the most historically accurate film he's made. Most QT films occur in parallel universes.
This is a very, very good movie. The use of the language is absolutely necessary to portray the times correctly.

Moke
01-07-2013, 01:04 PM
I am going to watch it this weekend.

Cool Papa B.
01-09-2013, 12:21 PM

used even more....

1.Wrong on both assumptions. I'm Nigerian-American.

2. Wrong again. I like most of Tarantino's work. Just not this one. I think he is a very creative filmmaker.

3. Wrong again. Slave/Mandingo fighting did not exist. Not the way it was portrayed. Slavery was about money.....economics. The slave owners wanted as many slaves out there as possible working his plantation. They wouldn't risk a slave getting hurt or so physically maimed that he wouldn't be able to work. Now there were boxing/fighting exhibition done at that time with slaves fighting each other. But never to the death.

I get that Tarantino takes an artistic license and bends the truth in his films all so he can express his vision and art. But for me he went over the top with it. in this film.

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 06:12 PM

2. Wrong again. I like most of Tarantino's work. Just not this one. I think he is a very creative filmmaker.

3. Wrong again. Slave/Mandingo fighting did not exist. Not the way it was portrayed. Slavery was about money.....economics. The slave owners wanted as many slaves out there as possible working his plantation. They wouldn't risk a slave getting hurt or so physically maimed that he wouldn't be able to work. Now there were boxing/fighting exhibition done at that time with slaves fighting each other. But never to the death.

I get that Tarantino takes an artistic license and bends the truth in his films all so he can express his vision and art. But for me he went over the top with it. in this film.

I can see QT taking liberties with the truth regarding Mandingo fighting (after all, I don't think you can bring Samurai swords on an airplane) but I am more interested in the way slaves were generally referred to and treated. Plus the attitude displayed by the Samuel L. Jackson character.
Those were very compelling portrayals and probably have a fair amount of truth in them. And when its displayed in the way it was, I found it very disturbing.
So as I said, while I agree it wasn't QT's best film, it may be the one that stays with me the longest.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 03:40 AM
I get the historical setting. This is the South circa 1858. I get that. It's hard for me to explain. I guess you will have to see it for yourself, but it's not so much how many times the "N" word was used, but HOW it was used that was just so ridiculous for me.

I really believe that Tarantino just loves using that word. I think he gets wet dreams just thinking about it.

I have 2 half black nieces,,one of which came to see the movie with me. we both had no problems with it,,,that's how it was back then,,and it's just his way of doing movies. it wasn't gumdrops and lollipops during those times,,stuff was real.

dezzzR
01-11-2013, 11:16 AM
I thought it was good, but very over the top just like Inglorious *******s.

myles2424
01-14-2013, 03:47 AM

1.you being Nigerian American is irrelevant,I was not replying to your statement in pAticular...I was broadly responding to people that critizied the movie...2.the Mandingo fights are a small part of the movie & seem to be the only thing without any historical truth...

dezzzR
01-14-2013, 01:48 PM
Thinking about it now, this was probably my least favorite QT movie. The thing I like about his films is most of the time he has a few stories going on at once that all tie in together eventually. It also felt very drawn out. It was good but could have been better imo.

JPizzack
01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Thinking about it now, this was probably my least favorite QT movie. The thing I like about his films is most of the time he has a few stories going on at once that all tie in together eventually. It also felt very drawn out. It was good but could have been better imo.

uhhhh I think youre alone on this.....

This isn't 1995 Tarantino. It's The-finished-product-Tarantino.

dezzzR
01-14-2013, 02:32 PM
uhhhh I think youre alone on this.....

This isn't 1995 Tarantino. It's The-finished-product-Tarantino.Well even Inglorious *******s followed the girl, SS guy, the British SAS guy, the German soldier ( the german hero), and the *******s. A good story is a good story, this was not, but the acting pulled it off.

JPizzack
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Well even Inglorious *******s followed the girl, SS guy, the British SAS guy, the German soldier ( the german hero), and the *******s. A good story is a good story, this was not, but the acting pulled it off.

It was amazing regardless. And like I said, the amount of award nominations alone speaks for how everyone feels about it. lol

dezzzR
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
It was amazing regardless. And like I said, the amount of award nominations alone speaks for how everyone feels about it. lolAwards mean nothing, its all Hollywood politics.

Cool Papa B.
01-15-2013, 04:36 PM

used even more....

1.you being Nigerian American is irrelevant,I was not replying to your statement in pAticular...I was broadly responding to people that critizied the movie...2.the Mandingo fights are a small part of the movie & seem to be the only thing without any historical truth...

In all of your comments/assumptions you used the word "you". And you made those comments/assumptions while responding to some of my posts. If you were just making very broad comments then fine. They're still very presumptious IMO. But It sure sounded like you were replying to me.

Moke
01-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Saw it yesterday and it was phenomenal. Don't see the hate at all. Great acting, hilarious at times, and had my eyes glued the whole time.

Rusty192
01-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Awards mean nothing, its all Hollywood politics.lol aint that the truth. It's all such a joke.

Martyr
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I heard it was good but I also keep here about Jamie foxx's dong