View Full Version : Free agents that are possible to get

flashnando
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Jairus Byrd - FS

Brent Grimes - CB

Erin Henderson - LB

Andy Levitre - Offensive Guard
Dallas Clark (UFA) - TE

Dallas Clark i was just throwing out there in case Mr. Bennett gets to pricey, this year i believe clark only made 3 Million. If they could sign him for cheaper i would prefer him over Bennett.

As for the the rest what do you guys think?

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Bryd and Grimes wont be cheap, at all. Both are top players at their positions.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
With our cap situation going into 2013 I don't see us signing anything but utility and some re-signings of our own FAs.

We don't need Byrd.

We can't afford Grimes.

We need a tackle more than a guard.

Dallas Clark is done.

Moke
01-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm sure Dallas Clark would be pricier than Bennett.

flashnando
01-02-2013, 12:25 PM
You guys don't think that the Giants will cut a few overpaid players?

NYGisBallin
No on the TE's. Home town discount for Bennett He'll be back.. Dont sleep on Robinson either.. He wouldve seen more PT if he hadnt finished up his degree during OTA's..

Kruunch

Just keeping Cruz and KP will more than likely soak up cut money.

NYGisBallin

Like?

flashnando
01-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Like?

Boley
Webster
Osi

That right there is about 21 Million. I know you will argue that it's tough to find a CB but Webster really stunk it up this year and for what he makes i don't agree on keeping him. I prefer the Giants draft another CB or get one in FA.

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Boley
Webster
Osi

That right there is about 21 Million. I know you will argue that it's tough to find a CB but Webster really stunk it up this year and for what he makes i don't agree on keeping him. I prefer the Giants draft another CB or get one in FA.

Osi is a UFA.

Webby and Boley will most likely restructure. Not sure what their contracts look like.. Sometimes you take a bigger cap hit when you just cut a player.. which in this case with Webster that would probably be the case..

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Osi is a UFA.

Technically Osi has a year left. They did that to split up his cap hit.

Which means Osi will get cut but still count against the cap. Wont save the giants money, will cost them more.

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Technically Osi has a year left. They did that to split up his cap hit.

Which means Osi will get cut but still count against the cap. Wont save the giants money, will cost them more.

So wait.. He's still under contract for next season with the NYG?

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
So wait.. He's still under contract for next season with the NYG?

It was a voidable year. Which I believe has to be voided.

NYGisBallin
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Got it. Thanks!

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Jairus Byrd - FS

Brent Grimes - CB

Erin Henderson - LB

Andy Levitre - Offensive Guard
Dallas Clark (UFA) - TE

Dallas Clark i was just throwing out there in case Mr. Bennett gets to pricey, this year i believe clark only made 3 Million. If they could sign him for cheaper i would prefer him over Bennett.

As for the the rest what do you guys think?

We need to sign our free agents before we go outside

flashnando
01-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Guess were stuck with what we have lol

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Guess were stuck with what we have lol

Not necessarily, it all depends on who they release. We've not been a big free agency acquisition team for decades.

Flip Empty
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Boley
Webster
Osi

Nah, if you take the cap hit in to account, cutting Boley and Webster would only free up around $1 million... Not worth it.

Giantz4Life
01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Not necessarily, it all depends on who they release. We've not been a big free agency acquisition team for decades.

This. The highest profile FA I can remember us bringing in recently are Canty and Rolle. Before that, Lavar Arrington (that didn't work out so well). I think it has worked out just fine for us (2 SuperBowls in 5 years). Wish we could get Grimes, but no way we could afford him.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:16 PM
This. The highest profile FA I can remember us bringing in recently is Canty. Before that, Lavar Arrington (that didn't work out so well). I think it has worked out just fine for us (2 SuperBowls in 5 years). Wish we could get Grimes, but no way we could afford him.

Bennett was a stroke of genius

Jahh
01-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Nah, if you take the cap hit in to account, cutting Boley and Webster would only free up around $1 million... Not worth it.

How do you know what the cap hit would be?

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:27 PM
How do you know what the cap hit would be?

I have always found that SO confusing

flashnando
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
This. The highest profile FA I can remember us bringing in recently are Canty and Rolle. Before that, Lavar Arrington (that didn't work out so well). I think it has worked out just fine for us (2 SuperBowls in 5 years). Wish we could get Grimes, but no way we could afford him.

Only reason i listed Grimes was because he was out for the whole season with an injury. I thought maybe that would make him cheaper

Jahh
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
I have always found that SO confusing

Yeah, me too. I mean I understand the basic premise but is there even detailed contract info out there to even calculate cap hits?

BuffyBlueII
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
Bennett was a stroke of genius

Yes he was and i think he is happy here. I really want us to keep him as a NY Giant.

TrueBlue@NYC
01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Where do you get this from?

Both Boley and Webster are on the last year of long deals, and I don't believe they've restructured at all during that time. Usually guys ont he last year of their deals you get the most cap relief for.

Just for the record, I'm not for cutting Boley, he's played very well for us. Webster will need to be worked on because he has a huge cap number this year after sub par play.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 02:07 PM
It was a voidable year. Which I believe has to be voided.

Sort of like his play this year

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Yes he was and i think he is happy here. I really want us to keep him as a NY Giant.

He has already made it clear he was a long deal HERE and will consider a hometown discount.

freeoscar
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah, me too. I mean I understand the basic premise but is there even detailed contract info out there to even calculate cap hits?

it makes it very difficult for us rear-seat GMs to make our perfect decisions while lacking this info...

giantsforce
01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Nah, if you take the cap hit in to account, cutting Boley and Webster would only free up around $1 million... Not worth it.Cutting Webster even if it does not saving money makes sense. A rookie can play better or just as worse with less money. Heck, anyone from the stands can put more effort than Webster.

BlueBlooded1979
01-02-2013, 03:04 PM

There is no way that this is accurate. They are both in the last years of their contract and that would mean that nearly their entire contract was guaranteed. When a player is cut his dead money from future years (2014 and beyond) goes on the books for that season (2013). Since neither one is under contract for 2014 and their salaries aren't guaranteed for 2013 cutting them saves their entire salary. 7m for webster and 4.25m for Boley.

flashnando
01-02-2013, 04:16 PM
There is no way that this is accurate. They are both in the last years of their contract and that would mean that nearly their entire contract was guaranteed. When a player is cut his dead money from future years (2014 and beyond) goes on the books for that season (2013). Since neither one is under contract for 2014 and their salaries aren't guaranteed for 2013 cutting them saves their entire salary. 7m for webster and 4.25m for Boley.

There you go! thanks for explaining that, wasn't aware of how that worked. Now with that money we can use it to re sign players we really need that are on the team already. I think we can fill some holes via the draft, Reese and company have proven they can draft players that are ready to play and contribute once the season begins. Ex: JPP, OSI, Nicks, Barden, Manningham etc.....

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
We need to get a few bodies at DT and OT, and take care of most our guys.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Not precisely true ... Reese will go out and get that one "bigger" piece.

Canty, Boley, Rolle and Baas are examples. Generally speaking he picks up one higher priced FA per season. Our cap being what it is though, will probably mitigate what we do this year (much like it did last off-season).

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 04:26 PM

If we cut both Boley and Webster, that would clear up $11.25 million against our 2013 cap.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Not precisely true ... Reese will go out and get that one "bigger" piece.

Canty, Boley, Rolle and Baas are examples. Generally speaking he picks up one higher priced FA per season. Our cap being what it is though, will probably mitigate what we do this year (much like it did last off-season).

When I say "big" I mean multiples. He will bring a relatively few people in but not like the Eagles do

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
If we cut both Boley and Webster, that would clear up $11.25 million against our 2013 cap.does it clear it up, or is there a cap hit? Can't see Webster getting cut, though; restructured, yes.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 04:28 PM
When I say "big" I mean multiples. He will bring a relatively few people in but not like the Eagles do

Oh yeah, that was just insane (and gratifyingly, didn't work out too well for them).

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
does it clear it up, or is there a cap hit? Can't see Webster getting cut, though; restructured, yes.

That's what's cleared off their base salaries.

The cap hit involved is workout bonus (depending when you cut them) and signing bonus (including restructured payments). I believe in the past you had to pay the outstanding signing bonus the year you cut the player (the "guaranteed" money) but under the new CBA, it can continue to be spread out over the original life of the contract. Since both of their contracts are up next year anyway, the cap hit in 2013 isn't too bad (about 1.4 for Boley and 3 for Webster).

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, that was just insane (and gratifyingly, didn't work out too well for them).

It makes no sesne, to me, to go out and get a bunch of high priced help who can't play as a team.

The Jets with Tebow is another WTF.

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 04:34 PM
That's what's cleared off their base salaries.The cap hit involved is workout bonus (depending when you cut them) and signing bonus (including restructured payments). I believe in the past you had to pay the outstanding signing bonus the year you cut the player (the "guaranteed" money) but under the new CBA, it can continue to be spread out over the original life of the contract. Since both of their contracts are up next year anyway, the cap hit in 2013 isn't too bad (about 1.4 for Boley and 3 for Webster).Boley's gone.

Kruunch
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
Boley's gone.

I honestly don't know where they rank their players coming out of this year.

Both Boley and Webster underperformed but replacing them with equivalent talent (or what you hope would have been equivalent for their 2011 season) would cost more then we'd save. And I don't think we have the home grown talent to replace Boley. We could possibly replace CWeb if you're comfortable going into 2013 with Prince and Hosely as your starters and a bunch of really young depth.

I could see the Giants standing pat on both players for 2013.

Riverboat76
01-02-2013, 04:40 PM
And let's keep in mind, the JPP contract extension on the horizon which is going to be GINORMOUS. If he has a good year next year he's gonna want Demarcus Ware money, and the Giants won't have much of a choice but to pay him.

Jahh
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM

Both Boley and Webster underperformed but replacing them with equivalent talent (or what you hope would have been equivalent for their 2011 season) would cost more then we'd save. And I don't think we have the home grown talent to replace Boley. We could possibly replace CWeb if you're comfortable going into 2013 with Prince and Hosely as your starters and a bunch of really young depth.

I could see the Giants standing pat on both players for 2013.

My bet is Webster stays and Boley goes. Every linebacker on the team played more snaps than Boley last two games.

gmen0820
01-02-2013, 04:48 PM

I could see the Giants standing pat on both players for 2013.I can't see Webster going. Reese over-emphasized an "evaluation process" on every player on the roster. I think what's gonna be clear as he sits down with Coughlin is gonna be that Boley was phased out of the defense towards the end of the season.

As for Webster, just hearing Reese touch on that during his press conference, his preliminary take on Webster's season (namely the Baltimore game) was that he just had a bad game, and that's expected from corners every now and then. Webster had a rough season, but I don't feel comfortable going into next year with Prince Amukamara (injury concerns), and Jayron Hosley (possible injury concerns, and still young as it is) as the two starting CBs. I can't imagine Reese does either.

And anyway, in this league you need at least three starting corners. Webster is still starting caliber, and he'll most likely be back; I only wonder at what cost, though.

Flip Empty
01-02-2013, 10:10 PM
If we cut both Boley and Webster, that would clear up $11.25 million against our 2013 cap.
My bad, I was looking at it like it's still 2012.

brad
01-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Odonije is getting up there (32) but might be a good 2-3 year short term solution, if the price is right he injects an immediate improvement that can bring pressure up the middle and stop the run.

big blue dog
01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
and we have to think about a small guy like hosley some of the big recievers in our division and confrence

Carter.525
01-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Im down with Grimes.. not like the Giants can afford him anyway..:(

big blue dog
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
grimes or atall fast corner in the draft

I Bleed Blue 56
01-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Everyone needs to understand we have to resign Cruz, Beatty, Bennet, and maybe Booth although hes average at best.

WiIdcat
01-02-2013, 11:59 PM
With our cap situation going into 2013 I don't see us signing anything but utility and some re-signings of our own FAs.

We don't need Byrd.

We can't afford Grimes.

Dallas Clark is done.

We absolutely need a player like Byrd. Our pass defense was terrible this year and Rolle was part of the reason. Cut him and his ridiculous salary and there you go.

moosedrool
01-03-2013, 12:21 AM
We absolutely need a player like Byrd. Our pass defense was terrible this year and Rolle was part of the reason. Cut him and his ridiculous salary and there you go.

Safety is the last position we need upgraded on this defense.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 01:04 AM

We don't need Byrd.

We can't afford Grimes.

Dallas Clark is done.

+1

Eli's cap number moves to $21 mill this year, Cruz will be closer to $10 mill a season than $5 mill a season, still a tonne of other guys to resign, and you can't count the number of teams in the NFL looking for improved offensive lines on two hands, any O line FA talent out there is going to be massively overpriced.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
PS: i haven't checked every team but we look like we have far more FAs we have to resign compared to other NFL teams and certainly compared to our divisional rivals.

WiIdcat
01-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Safety is the last position we need upgraded on this defense.

Uh Kenny Phillips is injury prone and Rolle was the 62nd ranked safety this year by pro football focus... a scouting company that the giants use. Safety isn't the last position that we need upgraded on this defense, it is one of the many positions we need upgraded.

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Uh Kenny Phillips is injury prone and Rolle was the 62nd ranked safety this year by pro football focus... a scouting company that the giants use. Safety isn't the last position that we need upgraded on this defense, it is one of the many positions we need upgraded.:confused:

giants8493
01-03-2013, 01:45 AM
:confused: +1

dave56dj
01-03-2013, 03:13 AM
Just to clear up one posters point - clark will not cost more then bennett at all. I'd much rather Martellus then an aging vet in his twilight but he will clearly cost more.

dave56dj
01-03-2013, 03:16 AM
Our back end was not strong - many long plays given up. Rolle did see time back at nickel which is more a product of less corners rather then his talent. I think Hill flashed enough and Brown's ball hawk skills keep safety a medium priority. If Webster is in decline we need yet another corner even if Prince and Hosley (a big if for jayron although i do think the kid will grow) can start at corner. Too happy a pass league not to have at least 3 good ones.

Captain Chaos
01-03-2013, 06:06 AM
They need to look at the Giant's FAs before they start looking outside the organization. Simple fact is that there is a ton of work that has to be done before they can start looking at this year's FA crop!

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
It makes no sesne, to me, to go out and get a bunch of high priced help who can't play as a team.

The Jets with Tebow is another WTF.

Free Agency is for that one missing piece (in the case of a big signing) and roster depth (smaller signings).

Teams that treat it as a companion to the draft (or worse, as the big brother to the draft) continually fail. That's been proven over and over. In the case of the Eagles, Lurie got impatient and tried to buy a championship before his world entirely crumbled (divorce, front office upheaval and now the top of the team blown off). I can't blame him though ... to be so close for so long (5 conference championships and 1 super bowl loss) and not cross the finish line must be maddening to an owner.

Tebow wasn't really expensive. Just a media stunt, and in that sense the move worked. Whether they brought in Tebow or not, the Jets would still have been in tons of trouble this year. I actually thought Tannenbaum had done a fairly decent job bringing talent to the team (some notable holes aside). Sexy Rexy hasn't been able to keep them all on the same page. That's my take on the Jets.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 09:24 AM

You do realize that Rolle, KP and Stevie Brown are all comparable or better than Byrd? So why pay retail?

The problem with our secondary was at the CB spot, not the Safety position.

Redeyejedi
01-03-2013, 09:26 AM

We don't need Byrd.

We can't afford Grimes.

Dallas Clark is done.
No to Dallas Clark for me as well

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Uh Kenny Phillips is injury prone and Rolle was the 62nd ranked safety this year by pro football focus... a scouting company that the giants use. Safety isn't the last position that we need upgraded on this defense, it is one of the many positions we need upgraded.

PFF is a stat website (and not a particularly good one) trying to make a buck. Where in the world did you get the idea the Giants use them to evaluate talent?

PFF is one step above using a Ouija board and darts.

KP is injury prone, I agree. I'm not sure where the Giants see themselves going between re-signing him and/or keeping/cutting Rolle for cap purposes. In either case, adding another high priced talent there wouldn't make sense.

Redeyejedi
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
There you go! thanks for explaining that, wasn't aware of how that worked. Now with that money we can use it to re sign players we really need that are on the team already. I think we can fill some holes via the draft, Reese and company have proven they can draft players that are ready to play and contribute once the season begins. Ex: JPP, OSI, Nicks, Barden, Manningham etc..... U have to factor in the signing bonus money as well that gets spread out over the entire deal.Webster has 8.6 million in signing bonus over a 6 year deal so thats 1.4 guaranteed on top of whatever the restructure costs the Giants this season. Im not even sure if Websters original numbers are right because he has restructured twice and the original date is still posted on his contract numbers

Redeyejedi
01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
PFF is a stat website (and not a particularly good one) trying to make a buck. Where in the world did you get the idea the Giants use them to evaluate talent?

PFF is one step above using a Ouija board and darts.

KP is injury prone, I agree. I'm not sure where the Giants see themselves going between re-signing him and/or keeping/cutting Rolle for cap purposes. In either case, adding another high priced talent there wouldn't make sense. If they use it its probably for the snap counts. U always criticize PFF but its the most detailed site for stats on the web. All u do is rip it down with nothing except your opinion. If u disagree with them so much u show something that disproves the numbers ,then maybe we can take u seriously.

Redeyejedi
01-03-2013, 09:43 AM
You do realize that Rolle, KP and Stevie Brown are all comparable or better than Byrd? So why pay retail?

The problem with our secondary was at the CB spot, not the Safety position. There was a problem with the safety spot but it was health and guys getting nailed for PED's

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
There was a problem with the safety spot but it was health and guys getting nailed for PED's

I honestly think scheme (and perhaps youth) had more to do with our inconsistencies in the secondary than lack of talent.

The PED's were a non-issue (unless you were thinking Tyler Sash was going to be our salvation this year).

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Hill was also suspended 4 games.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Hill was also suspended 4 games.

And you think losing our 4th (5th?) Safety for 4 games cost us a game?

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Absolutely. Hill is this teams future and the 4 games he lost hurt the team when KP went down. The guy was playing very good when called on only to have his progress delayed by missing 4 games.

JesseJames
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
I agree with Buddy333 about Hill, I think he's a keeper with a bright future and played pretty damn good his first year...

dave56dj
01-03-2013, 01:45 PM
The giants were one of the first teams to use PFF which took a look at different stats and how to use them - simple by nature but no site had done it before. They look at pitch count and where each player lined up based on a position labeling system a bit different then the natural labels but fairly similar. Then another more experienced analyst rates each player on every single play and gets a cummulative score (this is far more subjective). I know cause i worked there for a brief stint.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
I agree with Buddy333 about Hill, I think he's a keeper with a bright future and played pretty damn good his first year...

I agree that he's a good player (in hindsight). I don't think he would have been instrumental in saving one of the 4 games he missed (especially since we only lost one of them).

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Kruunch, you just don't like PFF because they took a **** on Diehl for the past 3 years.

ALLnygIN
01-03-2013, 03:33 PM
we don't need safty help, we have veterans and young talent there.. we need GOOD CORNERS.. I like what prince has shown this season hes only going to get better, but he gets hurt easily and doesn't seem to like to play hurt. Hosely has potential, but I don't know if he's the awsner. Webby is done, but assuming he comes back and has even a decent year, he still will need replacing with age. Anyway, fact is we have a number of problems that need to be addressed, while trying to keep some key players I.E. cruz.. It should be an interesting offseason.. so many possibilities and scenerios

ALLnygIN
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
or maybe more importantly at least some depth... a guy who can bring more to the table than tryon..

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Kruunch, you just don't like PFF because they took a **** on Diehl for the past 3 years.

I don't like PFF because a ball obviously thrown away all of a sudden shows up as a "pass defensed" on some DB's stat line.

Same with blocks, missed blocks, pressures, etc ... their judgment stats are awful (imo).

And then they have the balls to charge for that crap. :mad:

TuckandRolle
01-03-2013, 03:52 PM
We need corners, LB's, and O-Line help. Safety will not be upgraded, I see a potential DE from the draft or FA as well. Shefter reported this morning that he's heard the Giants will be making drastic changes to the Defense this off season. Rotoworld reported if Webster and Diehl do not take MASSIVE paycuts this offseason, they will be cut.

We have a lot of players coming off our books this offseason, Phillips and Blackburn met with Reese on Monday and both sound as if they won't be coming back. Our defense is OLD and needs to speed up. One of the few bright spots this year was Will Hill. I disagree with Kruuunch's assesment on him. The kid is going to be a stud in this league and we locked him down for 3 years with a $1.44 million deal. Reese knows what he's doing, and I believe our D will look alot different next year. But safety is the last thing we need an upgrade on for D, even with a potential Phillips departure.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
We need corners, LB's, and O-Line help. Safety will not be upgraded, I see a potential DE from the draft or FA as well. Shefter reported this morning that he's heard the Giants will be making drastic changes to the Defense this off season. Rotoworld reported if Webster and Diehl do not take MASSIVE paycuts this offseason, they will be cut.

We have a lot of players coming off our books this offseason, Phillips and Blackburn met with Reese on Monday and both sound as if they won't be coming back. Our defense is OLD and needs to speed up. One of the few bright spots this year was Will Hill. I disagree with Kruuunch's assesment on him. The kid is going to be a stud in this league and we locked him down for 3 years with a $1.44 million deal. Reese knows what he's doing, and I believe our D will look alot different next year. But safety is the last thing we need an upgrade on for D, even with a potential Phillips departure.What is Rotoworld? and why should anyone care what they have to say?