PDA

View Full Version : Credibility of the Steve Spagnuolo Story

Hassett00
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Sorry if it's been posted before but I came across the story that Saints players want Spagnuolo fired. Typical ''annonymous'' crap but can anyone shed some light if this is actually true or not? Or just writers trying to get a story out?

repeatchamps
01-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Sorry if it's been posted before but I came across the story that Saints players want Spagnuolo fired. Typical ''annonymous'' crap but can anyone shed some light if this is actually true or not? Or just writers trying to get a story out?

If it's true and happens, don't expect it to make a difference in how the Giants carry out their plans for next season for Perry Fewell. They will not suddenly take back their word and fire Fewell to bring back Spags.

Toadofsteel
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
#AnonymousSaintsPlayer

BigBlue1971
01-02-2013, 12:42 PM
If it's true and happens, don't expect it to make a difference in how the Giants carry out their plans for next season for Perry Fewell. They will not suddenly take back their word and fire Fewell to bring back Spags.

+1.

besides Spags had the 1 cinderella year with us in 07. hes had nothing sense.

freeoscar
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
+1.

Thank you for being a lone voice of reason on these boards re: Spags. I don't get the Spags love that so many on here have. He was an absolute disaster in STL. Fisher, a mediocre, defensive minded coach, has the team playing much better than Spags did, and in an NFCW which is drastically tougher than the pansy division it was when Spags was there. His NO team just set the record for most yards ever given up.
Yes, the Giant D played great in '07 - it also had a still effective Strahan, an at his peak Tuck and Osi, the underrated Cofield, and excellent veteran leadership in Pierce, Mitchell and Madison (along with Strahan) of course. I'm not saying Spags' role was meaningless - he did a great job with that talent, but there's no reason whatsover based on his record to believe he can do it with less.

Hassett00
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm not saying we should go for him at all. I just wanted to get peoples views on him seeing he's been at times rated out of this world by a few on this board. See what the views are now that he has had the worst defence in total yards in NFL history. I personally don't see us parting with Fewell. I blame him for a few things. But I put more blame on the players for miscues etc granted we did have some injuries in key positions but that's not excuse for playing poorly at times

M00KIE
01-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Not that I want that to happen, but who gave their word? The only thing I've heard was when TC was asked about coaching changes, he said "not that I would discuss or have intentions of".

Did Reese say anything regarding it?

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Not that I want that to happen, but who gave their word? The only thing I've heard was when TC was asked about coaching changes, he said "not that I would discuss or have intentions of".

Did Reese say anything regarding it?

Coaches are Coughlins decision.

JB456
01-02-2013, 01:10 PM
+1.

Nah, I recall he did very well for us in 2008. I think the offense just sputtered out.

RoanokeFan

I know they let the head coach bring in his own staff, but they don't always let him keep a coach/coordinator who isn't a good fit.

slipknottin
Yes there is no way anyone could ever dislike Spags.

Or reality is that he has been a crap coach since 2008.

slipknottin
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
I know they let the head coach bring in his own staff, but they don't always let him keep a coach/coordinator who isn't a good fit.

Well Coughlin was the one who fired Bill Sheridan

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Nah, I recall he did very well for us in 2008. I think the offense just sputtered out.

in the 2008 playoffs his defense looked like a Bill Sheridan special

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Well Coughlin was the one who fired Bill Sheridan

I'm willing to say not before he talked to Reese and Mara or they talked to him. :)

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Let's also not forget it was Spags who recommended Sheridan as his replacement.

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Let's also not forget it was Spags who recommended Sheridan as his replacement.

......as a backhanded slap I presume

:)

RoanokeFan
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
......as a backhanded slap I presume

:)

That sounded like I was blaming Spags for the promotion to Sheridan but I'm not. Until someone is promoted yo don't know what their success/failure is going to be. Much like Spags promotion to HC.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes there is no way anyone could ever dislike Spags.

Or reality is that he has been a crap coach since 2008.

He was a terriffic coach here, but the real reality is that the NY Giants never give ANYONE a 2nd chance once they leave.............they would sooner field 100 cheerleaders

njg85m
01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Shouldn't this be in "general sports" or "smack talk"? Don't see how this is even remotely Giants related.

JB456
01-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Playoffs? They were one and done and were defeated by the Eagles 23 - 11. Bill Sheridan could only dream of holding a team to 23 points...

During the season, their rank was 5th in yards and 4th in points allowed, right?

JB456
01-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Shouldn't this be in "general sports" or "smack talk"? Don't see how this is even remotely Giants related.

Not really. A lot of People want Fewel gone so they see Spagnuolo as a good alternative (Even thought the chance of that is practically zero).

gumby74
01-02-2013, 01:59 PM
+1.

He had a top 5 defense in 2008 with less talent.

M00KIE
01-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Even if that's the case, he never promised anything to anyone that I'm aware of. If he is even considering it at all, he's not going to tell the media. I guess my point is, people shouldn't take what he said as a guarantee that there won't be changes. If he and JR do their evaluations and discuss things and decide that maybe they can do better, I'd have to imagine they would.

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Playoffs? They were one and done and were defeated by the Eagles 23 - 11. Bill Sheridan could only dream of holding a team to 23 points...

During the season, their rank was 5th in yards and 4th in points allowed, right?

all those rankings are wonderful and all

but what happened when it mattered ?

I recall a huge 3rd and 20 where that defense looked awfully foolish

Imgrate
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
all those rankings are wonderful and all but what happened when it mattered ?I recall a huge 3rd and 20 where that defense looked awfully foolishThe DL was banged up bad at the end of the year, which is why we brought in canty and Bernard. A lot of bad things can be said of spags, but that 08 defense outperformed the 07 defense and wasn't as talented on paper.

RagTime Blue
01-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Thank you for being a lone voice of reason on these boards re: Spags. I don't get the Spags love that so many on here have. He was an absolute disaster in STL. Fisher, a mediocre, defensive minded coach, has the team playing much better than Spags did, and in an NFCW which is drastically tougher than the pansy division it was when Spags was there. His NO team just set the record for most yards ever given up.
Yes, the Giant D played great in '07 - it also had a still effective Strahan, an at his peak Tuck and Osi, the underrated Cofield, and excellent veteran leadership in Pierce, Mitchell and Madison (along with Strahan) of course. I'm not saying Spags' role was meaningless - he did a great job with that talent, but there's no reason whatsover based on his record to believe he can do it with less.

Thank you. Saved me a post.