PDA

View Full Version : LT vs. Ray Lewis

NYGfanNC
01-02-2013, 05:29 PM
I saw a poll on ESPN asking who was the greater linebacker. Lewis vs. LT. 52% said LT 48% said Ray Lewis. Yes, Lewis had a great career but do almost half of the people that follow football think that he was better than LT? That's crazy. LT was by far the best ever.

Cloud57
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
I've never seen L.T play but from the various videos I've seen L.T looks way better.

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 05:32 PM
17 years at MLB is unreal - just amazing. The guy was a warrior, a tackle machine, had the speed to cover and could change a game. Durable and an awesome motivator of men. The 2000 defense was incredible

LT changed the way the position was played - no one played OLB like him. HE CHANGED THE GAME.The 86 defense was unreal and the 90 was pretty specoal too. Edge to taylor, but Ray is one of the greats and after early trouble off the field looks like he has really become a great man - wish we could say the same for Lawrence.

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 05:35 PM
MLB and OLB

not worth comparing

different animals in completely different defensive schemes

Eliscruzzz
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
17 years at MLB is unreal - just amazing. The guy was a warrior, a tackle machine, had the speed to cover and could change a game. Durable and an awesome motivator of men. The 2000 defense was incredible

LT changed the way the position was played - no one played OLB like him. HE CHANGED THE GAME.The 86 defense was unreal and the 90 was pretty specoal too. Edge to taylor, but Ray is one of the greats and after early trouble off the field looks like he has really become a great man - wish we could say the same for Lawrence.17 years is incredible,,,,but the game changed drastically. Yes I agree though there will NEVER be another L.T. and the fact that 48% people think Ray Lewis is better, shows that they do not know football.

TheEnigma
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
MLB and OLB

not worth comparing

different animals in completely different defensive schemes

+1

Harry Carson would be a more appropriate comparison.

GoDeep80
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I saw a poll on ESPN asking who was the greater linebacker. Lewis vs. LT. 52% said LT 48% said Ray Lewis. Yes, Lewis had a great career but do almost half of the people that follow football think that he was better than LT? That's crazy. LT was by far the best ever.For the positions they played and how their faces became synonymous with those spots yes. Now Ray Lewis would never have been the pass rushing, outside beast LT was I'm just as confident to say LT would never have been the intelligent play diagnosing between the tackles beast that Ray Lewis was. When you thing 3-4 OLB the first name mentioned is LT's. when you think MLB the first name mentioned is Lewis. Lewis in the only linebacker to have the Tackles, INT, and FF numbers the way he has proving to be an ALL AROUND linebacker.

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Sure but you could certainly try and compare their greatness at their respective spots. To me you can argue other MLB's with Ray (butkus nitchscke) but there is no argument in my opinion to LT and the old. To cloud - far better is not fair. Lewis is a legend at MLB and LT is too. You could argue a case for either but I still give the edge to LT for revolutionizing the position.

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 06:08 PM
I saw a poll on ESPN asking who was the greater linebacker. Lewis vs. LT. 52% said LT 48% said Ray Lewis. Yes, Lewis had a great career but do almost half of the people that follow football think that he was better than LT? That's crazy. LT was by far the best ever.

One guy redefined the position and created a prototype of excellence at LB for decades to follow.

The other guy is Ray Lewis.

RUN BRADSHAW
01-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Sorry, but LT played at a different time when the caliber of player was lower.

Ray Lewis is a beast and the best.

-Giants fan.

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 06:15 PM
So you can't compare players cause they are from the past? Of course the game has changed - you are comparing them at the times they played not if LT were playing now. In that case boley is better then ray cause he is still playing and 2013 players are far better then 12 - gimme a break LT redefined the game and was better then any backer of his time.

B&RWarrior
01-02-2013, 06:25 PM

-Giants fan.

Giants fan or not that assessment is dead wrong. The fact is that pre-salary cap football allowed teams to assemble some of the best talent ever, far more than will ever be possible in the salary cap era.

The difference is as simple as this: when you walked away from some of the best games Ray Lewis played in his prime you were left with the thought of "Wow that may be the best player on defense in the game right now.", but when you finished watching some of the best games that LT played in his prime you left the game saying"Wow, that could be the most dominant football player I've ever seen ever!"

I've never seen Ray Lewis dominate a game on the level of LT. This isn't even a good argument. This argument could only be made by people that didn't see LT play or don't remember how good he was.

FYI I am a lifetime Ray Lewis fan. I have followed his career since he played at Miami, but this is just CRAZY TALK!!!

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 06:29 PM

-Giants fan.

ok.....so you are saying that Joe Jacoby, Russ Grim, Anthony Munoz, Randall McDaniel, Bruce Matthews, Jeff Bostic, Mark May , John Riggins, Tony Dorsett, Doug Cosbie, Wilbert Montgomery, John Spagnola , etc etc etc were low caliber players ?

not to mention guys like Reggie White, Jarome Brown, Bruce Smith, Jack Youngblood

not sure your argument is credible whatsoever

ask Joe Gibbs .....who changed the way blocking schemes are implemented to this day because of LT

we all know the term "the blind side".........there was no blind side until pass rushers like LT

ask Ron Jaworski about that

oldschoolGMEN
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
I've never seen L.T play but from the various videos I've seen L.T looks way better.

LT was the fastest, strongest and smartest all around linebacker ever ! Change the game and the way offensives had to block and contain outside linebackers.

Harooni
01-02-2013, 06:39 PM
half the people polled are 20

The_ One
01-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Sorry to give you the news young Giants fans, but LT was a MACHINE, teams changed their offenses do to that man, ask Joe Gibbs about LT. Not saying anything negative in regards to Ray Lewis who is a great LB as well, but not in LT's class.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxppgTXECK4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n826EL1T6q8 lawrence taylor highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYBqhZQskKk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxppgTXECK4)

SweetZombieJesus
01-02-2013, 07:03 PM

So one was a man amongst boys, the other was good but not so much that you can say that.

Ladder27
01-02-2013, 07:17 PM

If Ray had the chance to smoke crack on the sideline he might have been the best LB hands down. But he didn't. So i say as a Giants fan Ray and LT are hands down tied. I like them both.

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM

-Giants fan.

LMFAO

Sarcasman
01-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Giants fan or not that assessment is dead wrong. The fact is that pre-salary cap football allowed teams to assemble some of the best talent ever, far more than will ever be possible in the salary cap era.

The difference is as simple as this: when you walked away from some of the best games Ray Lewis played in his prime you were left with the thought of "Wow that may be the best player on defense in the game right now.", but when you finished watching some of the best games that LT played in his prime you left the game saying"Wow, that could be the most dominant football player I've ever seen ever!"

I've never seen Ray Lewis dominate a game on the level of LT. This isn't even a good argument. This argument could only be made by people that didn't see LT play or don't remember how good he was.

FYI I am a lifetime Ray Lewis fan. I have followed his career since he played at Miami, but this is just CRAZY TALK!!!

It's the whole era thing. If LT came into the league now, he'd still revolutionize the game. Out of this world talent coupled with unbelievable drive and desire is timeless.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 09:01 PM

LT played a long time ago.....most of these people never saw him play

I really have not seen a lot of Ray Lewis but I'd compare Lewis to **** Butkus not LT who was incredibly fast and strong. Lewis is a poor man's **** Butkus. There is no LT comparable...........he was like Michael Jordan was to basketball.......absolutely peerless

And Lewis although he played Butkus style was no **** Butkus............I'd put Brad Van Pelt in front of Lewis. Lewis is/was top 10 of all time but not top 5

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM
LT played a long time ago.....most of these people never saw him play

I really have not seen a lot of Ray Lewis but I'd compare Lewis to **** Butkus not LT who was incredibly fast and strong. Lewis is a poor man's **** Butkus. There is no LT comparable...........he was like Michael Jordan was to basketball.......absolutely peerless

And Lewis although he played Butkus style was no **** Butkus............I'd put Brad Van Pelt in front of Lewis. Lewis is/was top 10 of all time but not top 5

I see Ray Lewis as more of a Singletary ....who was absolutely awesome in the truest sense of the word

and I personally think Harry Carson was a better player than Ray Lewis

no disrespect to Ray.....just extra respect to Carson

dave56dj
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Not arguing Lewis cause i have already made my opinion clear - but just wanna say ray lewis is not a poor mans anyone - he is one of the greats with Butkus and Nitscke. Personally I think he exceeded Singletary but mike was a helluva Mike as well.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 09:13 PM
if you want to factor in longevity Lewis is #1 in the fact he played at a high level so long...........Van Pelt unfortunately like LT did too much coke (Brian Kelly dated my roomate).....those guys burned both ends of the candle-

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Not arguing Lewis cause i have already made my opinion clear - but just wanna say ray lewis is not a poor mans anyone - he is one of the greats with Butkus and Nitscke. Personally I think he exceeded Singletary but mike was a helluva Mike as well.

How do you know this? I've seen maybe 5 Ravens games in my life- do you live down that way?
Lewis did hit like Butkus

Funny the hardest hitter I ever saw was Larry Wilson (175lbs soaking wet) but Wilson had this karate like shoulder hit that knocked people out cold- he played free saftey for the cardinals

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 09:22 PM

Ok maybe he was top 5......but not top 4

cva14
01-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Lewis couldn't quite take over a game like LT. But LT was self-destructive-drugs, booze, poor training habits. His 5 best years were better than Lewis' 5 best years, but Lewis's career was a heckuva a lot more productive.

Martyr
01-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I wasnt old enough to watch LT is his prime so I cant really say. I seen a lot of Lewis and he is one of my favorite players he has to be one of the top players ever right up with the greats

Astorian
01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
There is no LT comparable...........he was like Michael Jordan was to basketball.......absolutely peerless.

You took the words out of my mouth. Jordan revolutionized basketball because he did things nobody ever dreamed a human being could do. Exactly the same with LT. Nobody ever thought a guy that big and strong could be so quick and fast. Nobody ever thought that a defender could cause so many fumbles, that a pass-rusher could get to the QB so quickly, that he could run through blockers as if they weren't there. As Madden used to say, LT was the first defender ever to be able to turn a game around.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
I witnessed LT throw 320 tackles out of the way like they were made of cardboard.........the man was superhuman

NWGiant
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
The only reason this is any debate at all is that Lewis is the one that is most fresh in the minds of people. While he is an all time great, he is not and never was close to the player LT was. When was the last time you heard some one saying that Lewis HAS to be acounted for on every play (pass or run). That was the routine for LT, account for him EVERY play. I am not old enough to remember LT playing in his prime, but, have seen interview from opposing coordinators and players and the constant theme for them that week would be "where is #56?". Even the Bills in the '90 superbowl facing a declining LT made sure to account for him every play. Not even close, both were/are first ballot HOF'ers, but only one is a top 2-3 player in the history of the NFL.

YATittle1962
01-02-2013, 09:48 PM
I witnessed LT throw 320 tackles out of the way like they were made of cardboard.........the man was superhuman

saw it with my own eyes many times

Lawrence really had a natural understanding of how to use a mans own momentum against him

that mixed with his speed and ability to round a corner on a 45 degree angle made him impossible....or at least nearly impossible to block

JJC7301
01-02-2013, 10:17 PM
LT was the best overall LB that I ever saw play and I've been watching since around '81. Lewis was the best ILB that I saw play, but if I had to choose between the two, then I'd choose LT.

Giantslb66
01-02-2013, 10:24 PM
LT is the greatest player EVER. He would have destroyed Jim Brown if they were on the field together. Ray is an awesome MLB, but LT changed everything about the way an offense was run.

BParcells777
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
LT is the greatest player EVER. He would have destroyed Jim Brown if they were on the field together. Ray is an awesome MLB, but LT changed everything about the way an offense was run.

I dont know about that........Jim Brown was also an immortal.....when you watch Andre Brown at his best you see a shadow of Jim Brown but no.....not really
Jim Brown wad sprinter speed at 240 lbs and could change direction like gayle sayers........add to that he hit like a ton of bricks
he also had this little trick of going limp but remaining upright...then like a cat he would surge off in another direction

ny06
01-03-2013, 12:04 AM
LT made tough guys wake up at night screaming from fear cause of what they knew LT brought every Sunday.
It was a pleasure to watch him play, the video clips on you tube don't do him justice of how good he was.

GameTime
01-03-2013, 12:07 AM
as others have stated two dif positions but they are both incedible players. LT had the fortune of changing the position and the way the game is played.
Lewis took that next level of game LT developed and ran with it. Both great players with different contributions to the sport.

repeatchamps
01-03-2013, 12:08 AM

-Giants fan.

Lol. Lewis would have never had the opportunities he had to be so great if LT didn't pave the way and redefine linebacker in the NFL. No way to compare anyway. Different eras, different positions. Singletary and Lewis would be a better, more viable comparison. LT had to be accounted for and gamplanned around on every play not so with Lewis. Anyone who says teams did game plan and account for Lewis on every play is a fool and knows zero about football.

Roosevelt
01-03-2013, 12:20 AM
17 years is incredible,,,,but the game changed drastically. Yes I agree though there will NEVER be another L.T. and the fact that 48% people think Ray Lewis is better, shows that they do not know football.

Similar to Simms vs Eli.

GameTime
01-03-2013, 12:25 AM
and totallyt jacked on whatever he was taking.....lol

GiantRoc
01-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Anyone who ever saw LT play, knows the 2 can not be compared. LT changed games and changed the game. If you don't think LT could come into this league now and still dominate, you never saw him play. Lewis is a tough MLB and controlled the middle of the field. LT was a beast that could contol a game. LT hands down im my humble opinion.

M00KIE
01-03-2013, 06:49 AM
This is stupid...