PDA

View Full Version : Eli Says He "Needed To Play Better"

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 07:20 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...to-play-better (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/21546/eli-says-he-needed-to-play-better)

Excerpt: "Eli Manning had two of the best games he has ever had this season.

He set career-highs of 510 yards passing against Tampa Bay and threw for five touchdowns in the season finale against Philadelphia.

But overall, 2012 was a bit of a step back for Manning. Coming off his best season ever in 2011, Manning failed to throw for 4,000 yards and 27 touchdowns for the first time since 2008.

“I don’t think it was as good as it needed to be,” Manning said on his weekly appearance on WFAN radio of his play this past season. “I think there were a couple of games where (I) wasn’t as on and I needed to play better.”

As hot as Manning got in the Tampa and Philadelphia wins, he also went ice cold at times.

He had a three-game touchdown drought in the middle of the season -– the worst stretch since his rookie season which sparked speculation of a tired arm –- and threw for one touchdown or less in 10 games this season.

Manning admitted that Hakeem Nicks’ knee injury (http://www.espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/21468/nicks-mightve-needed-up-to-two-months-off) robbed the offense of a lot.

“Not having Hakeem 100 percent for most of the season really the last 10 weeks can hurt,” Manning said. “He is out there playing hurt and you love that toughness about him.

“It just made it tough when you are starting a receiver who’s got to win those one-on-one matchups and is your deep threat and playmaker,” Manning continued. “It can be tough to adjust to that and timing was off on a number of things.”

Not having a consistent third receiving threat also hurt as the Giants struggled to replace Mario Manningham (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11329/mario-manningham).

Manning said having the stability of the same head coach and offensive coordinator beside him will help in the offseason." Read more...

NYGabriel
01-03-2013, 07:43 AM
In other news released today - apparently the sky is blue. How many INT's did Manning throw trying to get the ball to a hobbled Nicks?

Flip Empty
01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
This board pissed and moaned about that stuff all season. If the average fan could see it, why on earth couldn't the team and coaches? Or did they just think things would sort themselves out?

jakegibbs
01-03-2013, 07:52 AM
In other news released today - apparently the sky is blue. How many INT's did Manning throw trying to get the ball to a hobbled Nicks?

Too many.

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 08:02 AM
No way. It was everyone else's fault. Haters!

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I think RF needs a stronger reading prescription.

Redeyejedi
01-03-2013, 08:25 AM
I do wonder how this offense would of looked if they just sat Nicks and played the situation with WR's

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I do wonder how this offense would of looked if they just sat Nicks and played the situation with WR's

Where did Barden go exactly? Did the first Eagles game put him in the dog house for the rest of the season? The guy showed up big two weeks in a row (w/ one serious mistake granted) and then disappeared.

If it was the dog house, TC needs to re-evaluate his position a little sooner ... we've been waiting for Barden to show up since he was drafted and when he finally does we bench him? :confused:

P.S. - I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The Giants offense is a vertical game that relies on two big threats. We don't have another "big threat" to put opposite Cruz. This is one area that Manningham would show up in a pinch (I think I undervalued his contributions in years past).

gfanblue
01-03-2013, 08:37 AM
No sh*t sherlock.

mcillo
01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Where did Barden go exactly? Did the first Eagles game put him in the dog house for the rest of the season? The guy showed up big two weeks in a row (w/ one serious mistake granted) and then disappeared.

If it was the dog house, TC needs to re-evaluate his position a little sooner ... we've been waiting for Barden to show up since he was drafted and when he finally does we bench him? :confused:

P.S. - I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The Giants offense is a vertical game that relies on two big threats. We don't have another "big threat" to put opposite Cruz. This is one area that Manningham would show up in a pinch (I think I undervalued his contributions in years past).If your reference to " one serious mistake"is that finally play with the offensive pass interference , I can`t really buy into that. If that is how TC viewed and asessed Barden , then I`d have a problem with his coaching. Barden was being arm barred down the sideline and then in a last ditch effort, kept the ball from being intercepted. Could he have done better , yeah , but he did keep it from being turned over. Someday we`ll sign a kicker who can make a 53 yard kick, until then , let`s not ( this mb ) beat up our receivers.
Personally , I don`t beleive the coaching staff is utilizing Barden properly. He moves more like a fast tight end and should have patterns commensurate with his strengths. Rarely does he drop the ball , he should be on 3rd down packages and the goal line - he`s a possesion type receiver.

flashnando
01-03-2013, 09:22 AM

Honestly it would of been better and we all know it, I honestly think it would of had us in the playoffs. would we have won the Atlanta Game? na, the baltimore game? na those were terrible games defensively, but we would of won the Redskins game where Eli couldn't find a receiver, yes he over threw Cruz but i didn't think that was possible lol. Maybe the Cincy game, im sure im missing some game where if we had that one healthy WR we would of won. Thoughts?

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I think RF needs a stronger reading prescription.

I'm just the messenger

GameTime
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
ehh...what else do you want him to say......

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 09:35 AM

P.S. - I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The Giants offense is a vertical game that relies on two big threats. We don't have another "big threat" to put opposite Cruz. This is one area that Manningham would show up in a pinch (I think I undervalued his contributions in years past).

Maybe we over think this stuff. Barden has a place on the depth chart, as does everyone else. He's been passed over by every other wide receiver on the team since he's been here with the possible exception of Jernigan. By your account, having two good games in four years proves what, exactly?

All most say is "he's tall" as though that automatically translates into play maker. I'm expecting him to be released this offseason along with Beckum.

JesseJames
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
whats the good of having a guy on the roster who the coaches are afraid to play, why carry him at all. I saw plenty of times when I thought Barden would get in and change up the offense a litle especially in goal line situations but it never happened so why pay this guy and have him take up a roster spot..

Flip Empty
01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
whats the good of having a guy on the roster who the coaches are afraid to play, why carry him at all. I saw plenty of times when I thought Barden would get in and change up the offense a litle especially in goal line situations but it never happened so why pay this guy and have him take up a roster spot..
He played as much as any #4 or #5 would...

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe we over think this stuff. Barden has a place on the depth chart, as does everyone else. He's been passed over by every other wide receiver on the team since he's been here with the possible exception of Jernigan. By your account, having two good games in four years proves what, exactly?

All most say is "he's tall" as though that automatically translates into play maker. I'm expecting him to be released this offseason along with Beckum.

I was right there with you on that until his two big (back to back) games THIS year. We definitely had games afterwards we needed him in (if he could have produced again that is). It seemed like he finally got on the same page with the routes. His hand strength has gotten a lot better. He's never going to be a burner, but his size makes him a potentially great possession receiver.

I'm just surprised we gave up on him in a year where we needed that kind of player and after he showed up no less.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 11:27 AM
I was right there with you on that until his two big (back to back) games THIS year. We definitely had games afterwards we needed him in (if he could have produced again that is). It seemed like he finally got on the same page with the routes. His hand strength has gotten a lot better. He's never going to be a burner, but his size makes him a potentially great possession receiver.

I'm just surprised we gave up on him in a year where we needed that kind of player and after he showed up no less.

We'll see what they think if he's here next season.

eml
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Barden had one big game and made other key plays. This guy could easily be put in more often. We have him warm the bench then expect him to go out on the field and be a top notch receiver. This is an example of another player who can really contribute but we use like a "break glass in case of emergency" guy. Spotscasters said he catches the ball well and at his height and strength is a guy Eli can throw to similar to a Plaxico. Play him or trade him. I believe if we trade him he's going to show case his talents and we're going to kick ourselves for letting him go.

Flip Empty
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Play him or trade him. I believe if we trade him he's going to show case his talents and we're going to kick ourselves for letting him go.
He's a free agent...

giantsfan420
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
i agree with u eli, u need to play better. that said, thank u for yet again placing the blame inwards and not projecting it, being a selfless player. I still believe there was a ton that eli did amazing, but his issues have never been the highs, its been the lows. hes gotta raise the consistency to '11, 09, 08 and postseason levels...

TCHOF
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Eli is right . . he needs to play better.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
i don't mind mea culpas from players.

i certainly prefer that to the usual fan solution of fire everyone because we have to change if we want to be better.

sometimes everyone just has to do better than they did last year.

BeatYale
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Even Eli is saying Nicks playing hurt was hurting the offense. Why was the coaching staff allowing that to go on when Randle and Barden played well when they had their chances to start in place of Nicks?

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

+1

Cruz is the example of if you excel you're going to get a position on this team and play regularly.

this idea that we have all of this unbelievable talent that the coaching staff willfully ignores is getting embarrassing for the fans that continually suggest that's the case.

you either trust this coaching staff or you don't. i'm sick of fans that will celebrate multiple SB wins but then act like it was a glorious accident the other 364 days of the year.

NYGisBallin
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
People who are saying it was Eli and only Eli that costed us the season need a reality check... Eli didnt give up 31 to Cincy, 34 to Atlanta, and 33 to Baltimore. Throw numbers in that game out the window.. When your behind early you are forced to pass and your gameplan goes out the window. Our Defense and many other aspects of our team let us down.. Eli IMO is the least of our concerns as to why this season was a failure.

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
No one said it was him alone, but he is the $100 million man and he had as much to do with their season as anyone if not more. No, he didn't give up 31 to the Bengals. He did throw two picks that set them up in the red zone and didn't do anything else in that game to put points on the board. He did throw two picks against the Falcons which set them up in the red zone twice. His unit also got shut out. The offense had way to many 3 and outs and way to many field goal attempts. They stunk in the red zone.

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 12:57 PM
i agree with u eli, u need to play better. that said, thank u for yet again placing the blame inwards and not projecting it, being a selfless player. I still believe there was a ton that eli did amazing, but his issues have never been the highs, its been the lows. hes gotta raise the consistency to '11, 09, 08 and postseason levels...
Have you ever heard him say that a loss was "his fault". I never have. I've heard Ben do it. I've heard many other QB's do it. Eli never does.

Roosevelt
01-03-2013, 01:03 PM
ehh...what else do you want him to say......

Well for starters he should blame that pimple of a OC, Kevin Gilbride. And of course don't leave out David Diehl and our offensive line.

Rudyy
01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Have you ever heard him say that a loss was "his fault". I never have. I've heard Ben do it. I've heard many other QB's do it. Eli never does.Why does he have to publicly acknowledge that?

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Have you ever heard him say that a loss was "his fault". I never have. I've heard Ben do it. I've heard many other QB's do it. Eli never does.

Wow you're really stretching on that Eli bashing bubba.

NYGisBallin
01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Why does he have to publicly acknowledge that?

Exactly.. That makes us the fans feel better. The players know who's who and whats what. I could careless personally.. I know Eli is a worker and works every week to get better...

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Ben has more "mea culpa" moments than Eli.

But Eli stays away from sorority houses and motorcycles more than Ben.

i think we come out ahead on that deal personally.

Sarcasman
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Because he ruined my fantasy season, that's why.

I'm still waiting for an apology....

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
He doesn't. I was responding to 420's post saying that he does.

Rudyy
01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Because he ruined my fantasy season, that's why.I'm still waiting for an apology....lol

jakegibbs
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Agreed he needed to play better but then again doesn't everyone?

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Because he ruined my fantasy season, that's why.

I'm still waiting for an apology....

+1

Between him and Nicks I want my money back!

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 01:22 PM
+1

Between him and Nicks I want my money back!
Aaron Rodgers and AP did me just fine in the GMB league.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Aaron Rodgers and AP did me just fine in the GMB league.

I hate you.

P.S. - I had AP as well ... that guy is simply inhuman.

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Sigh....I hope he gets asked if he's elite next year and starts a controversy by saying he is

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 01:28 PM
I hate you.

P.S. - I had AP as well ... that guy is simply inhuman.
I left my poor fellow Giants MB posters in the dust. My margin of victories in the playoffs had to be all time FF records.

Sarcasman
01-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I left my poor fellow Giants MB posters in the dust. My margin of victories in the playoffs had to be all time FF records.

What the hell kind of competition allows you to draft both AP and Rodgers? Are there other football fans in this league?

Oh wait...GIants MB league...never mind.

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 01:38 PM
What the hell kind of competition allows you to draft both AP and Rodgers? Are there other football fans in this league?

Oh wait...GIants MB league...never mind.
Don't forget that AP was coming off an ACL. He went in rounds 2 or 3 in most FF drafts. No one took him in the first round. I got him near the end of the second round in a 10 team league.

Sarcasman
01-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Don't forget that AP was coming off an ACL. He went in rounds 2 or 3 in most FF drafts. No one took him in the first round. I got him near the end of the second round in a 10 team league.

NIce. He went late 1 and early 2 in the two leagues I was in but they were large leagues.

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 01:40 PM

Oh wait...GIants MB league...never mind.AP went in the 8th round in our league, no one wanted to touch him with that ACL, this guy had such a cinderella story going for him, too bad he couldn't break the record, that would've been the icing on the cake

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
NIce. He went late 1 and early 2 in the two leagues I was in but they were large leagues.
Actually I looked at the draft and I got AP early in the 3rd. I drafted DeMarco Murray in the second.

Sarcasman
01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
AP went in the 8th round in our league, no one wanted to touch him with that ACL, this guy had such a cinderella story going for him, too bad he couldn't break the record, that would've been the icing on the cake

The 11th round? Is that a typo?

Sarcasman
01-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Actually I looked at the draft and I got AP early in the 3rd. I drafted DeMarco Murray in the second.

Apparently you're insane because he's an 11th rounder.

I read it on the internet, so that means it's true.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM

Well that explains the man-crush.

My boss traded AR away for Vick a couple of years in our keeper league (AR now counts as a 10th rounder). That guy has won our league the last two years running.

Ok I give up ... Eli sucks! $#_($&#_(&(_@&@#(_&*+_$&+$&)#+@)+@

Morehead State
01-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Well that explains the man-crush.

My boss traded AR away for Vick a couple of years in our keeper league (AR now counts as a 10th rounder). That guy has won our league the last two years running.

Ok I give up ... Eli sucks! $#_($&#_(&(_@&@#(_&*+_$&+$&)#+@)+@

Actually having Decker and Colston didn't hurt either. My team was friggin stacked. And I started 0-3 as well.
I won my championship match by 130 + points. (2 week final)

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
The 11th round? Is that a typo?Lol no I wrote that and then re-checked at it was the 8th....still a heck of a steal that late

Sarcasman
01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Lol no I wrote that and then re-checked at it was the 8th....still a heck of a steal that late

Wow - what a steal!