PDA

View Full Version : Great breakdown of the Giants needs and mistakes.

flashnando
01-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Don't know if any of you have posted this before but this was great read IMO. This is just a piece of the article/blog, you can read the rest on by clicking on their link below:

http://www.ultimatenyg.com/2012-articles/december/nyg-42-phl-7.html

6) Last week, we commented with some stats on the Jerry Reese distribution of R1-R3 draft picks taken from 2007-2012:

WR 6
DL 4
CB 4
S 2
OL, RB, TE, LB 1

So out of 20 picks, the Giants have taken a whopping total of 2 LBers and OL COMBINED! Restating our comment, "33% of your starters have gotten 10% of the (coveted) resources. And it has reared its ugly head in the past two games (vs ATL and BAL)." It is a passing league, but you still have to keep your QB upright and give the team a chance at converting three 4th down and shorts.

ny06
01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Jerry Resse's formula in the early rounds has been a staple mark on our team, pass rushers, play makers at the wr position. Now it's time to beef up the o-line, this offense has the weapons, it just needs the big guys to pave the way.

big blue dog
01-03-2013, 10:05 AM
hit the bulls eye the line didnt give a lot of sacks but pressure and hits were way up more so at the end of the year no qb does well when there hit and pressured 15 times a game.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Don't know if any of you have posted this before but this was great read IMO. This is just a piece of the article/blog, you can read the rest on by clicking on their link below:

Eli was the least sacked QB in the league this year.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 10:08 AM

This is nice to know, but now you need to add what free agents were signed in the same time period to get the whole picture.

big blue dog
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
correct he wasnt sacked a lot but he was hit and pressured way to much at the end of the year and it showed in his performance

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 11:18 AM
i don't mind reese' philosophy on the early rounds.

and i don't think he's so rigid in that philosophy that if there was a LBer or OL prospect that the scouts were really excited about he would pass on them because of some strategy.

someone without two kids under the age of 5 needs to undertake the research project of looking at LBers and OLmen taken right after our picks (reaching half a round early to pick almost any player is stupid) to see who we've passed up on and whether they're contributing at their positions in a way that says we should have taken them.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
i don't mind reese' philosophy on the early rounds.

and i don't think he's so rigid in that philosophy that if there was a LBer or OL prospect that the scouts were really excited about he would pass on them because of some strategy.

someone without two kids under the age of 5 needs to undertake the research project of looking at LBers and OLmen taken right after our picks (reaching half a round early to pick almost any player is stupid) to see who we've passed up on and whether they're contributing at their positions in a way that says we should have taken them.

This past draft, we took David Wilson instead of Cordy Glenn. Reese even admitted that Cordy Glenn was rated higher.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
This past draft, we took David Wilson instead of Cordy Glenn. Reese even admitted that Cordy Glenn was rated higher.

i know. i was referring to older drafts (3 years +) so we have a better idea of what the players have become.

giantsfan420
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
i look at it like this, we have the skilled positions, aside from corner, all figured out. this draft has no reason to not be a trenches draft

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
i know. i was referring to older drafts (3 years +) so we have a better idea of what the players have become.

Two years ago we took JPP over Mike Iupati in the first round. While that worked out for us, at the time Iupati was considered an NFL ready offensive lineman (and a need for us) and JPP a project (due to his short span of playing football and small school background).

In the same draft we took Marvin Austin (DT) in the second round over Sean Lee (ILB). Austin had more measurables but Lee had a better pedigree and resume (and we needed a LB desperately that year ... we took Dillard in the 4th instead who was cut the following year).

With the rare exception of Beatty and Sintim (both second rounders in the same draft), Reese has treated the offensive line and linebackers as positions of lesser draft priority that he's thrown a lot of lower drafted players / FAs at to see what stuck. We've had one major FA signing to each under Reese (Boley and Baas). The strategy seems to be to see who works out from the rank and file and then bolster via FA (not agreeing or disagreeing with the strategy ... just illustrating my conclusions).

P.S. - These just came to mind recently ... I'd have to do some homework to find older instances but I'm sure they're there.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Two years ago we took JPP over Mike Iupati in the first round. While that worked out for us, at the time Iupati was considered an NFL ready offensive lineman (and a need for us) and JPP a project (due to his short span of playing football and small school background).

In the same draft we took Marvin Austin (DT) in the second round over Sean Lee (ILB). Austin had more measurables but Lee had a better pedigree and resume (and we needed a LB desperately that year ... we took Dillard in the 4th instead who was cut the following year).

With the rare exception of Beatty and Sintim (both second rounders in the same draft), Reese has treated the offensive line and linebackers as positions of lesser draft priority that he's thrown a lot of lower drafted players / FAs at to see what stuck. We've had one major FA signing to each under Reese (Boley and Baas). The strategy seems to be to see who works out from the rank and file and then bolster via FA (not agreeing or disagreeing with the strategy ... just illustrating my conclusions).

P.S. - These just came to mind recently ... I'd have to do some homework to find older instances but I'm sure they're there.

thanks. i'd call passing on sean lee for Austin an obvious miss. there's no way you could say the same thing about JPP and Iupati.

i still question whether they're lesser priorities, without more evidence. he definitely has a preference for high skill early, but i don't know if that is just best player available or whether he's purposefully passing on obvious solutions at LBer and OL because he doesn't see the value of picking those positions early.

to me, JPP would support the best player available strategy, albeit he was thought of as very raw as you said. i think most fans are willing to reach for players of need in the early rounds, and Reese probably would rather fill his team with the most skill/talent as possible and deal with overlaps as opposed to looking back on picks of need and having more busts he has to try and explain away with "well we needed x so we took him".

our nascar thing i don't think was a conscience decision, but was the result of drafting based on BPA and ending up with a bunch of great DEs. that's a better problem to have than a bunch of potentially unusable players because you turned a blind eye to talent and made decisions based primarily on your next 16 games.

flashnando
01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
thanks. i'd call passing on sean lee for Austin an obvious miss. there's no way you could say the same thing about JPP and Iupati.

i still question whether they're lesser priorities, without more evidence. he definitely has a preference for high skill early, but i don't know if that is just best player available or whether he's purposefully passing on obvious solutions at LBer and OL because he doesn't see the value of picking those positions early.

to me, JPP would support the best player available strategy, albeit he was thought of as very raw as you said. i think most fans are willing to reach for players of need in the early rounds, and Reese probably would rather fill his team with the most skill/talent as possible and deal with overlaps as opposed to looking back on picks of need and having more busts he has to try and explain away with "well we needed x so we took him".

our nascar thing i don't think was a conscience decision, but was the result of drafting based on BPA and ending up with a bunch of great DEs. that's a better problem to have than a bunch of potentially unusable players because you turned a blind eye to talent and made decisions based primarily on your next 16 games.

Very well put! After all this talk i wish the draft was tomorrow LOL. Can't wait for draft to begin, im so curious what Reese and company will do, what we as fans want is different but what the Giants will actually is another thing. In Reese i trust

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Well all of this is hindsight. JPP was the sexier and more aggressive pick ... Iupati was the safer pick. Obviously if JPP didn't work out (or if he goes south now as well as our offensive line) then we'd look back and say "wow, that was a miss". You can also make the argument (and fairly valid one) that the difference between a late first round OG and a late fourth round OG isn't all that great (while the same can't be said for DEs since they're so coveted).

The Austin pick was the exact same deal. A bonafide top 10 draft prospect who slipped due to being kicked out of school but with immense measurables and resume. He took the gamble but this time it hasn't paid off (yet). Then again, for as good as Sean Lee is (and I wanted him SOOOOO badly) he can't seem to stay on the field 100% either.

So my love of typing brings us to this ... Everything is amazingly clear in the rear view mirror.

I bet he had this exact conversation in his own head and since it wasn't obvious, he went with what he thought best ("him" being the FO in general).

JPP was a wish and a prayer (not to mention 14 back flips in a row by a DE prospect). Tons of physical measurables but not off the charts. Conversely, an OG at that spot who might be "good" but not considered a blue chipper just wasn't as sexy. The JPP pick definitely wasn't BPA though (at least by any measurable other than back flips).

Spags started the Nascar package in 2007 with Osi, Tuck and Strahan (remember Tuck playing DT?). It was a defensive wrinkle that lasted for a few games and worked especially well against teams who couldn't run the ball well. It's not a defensive scheme (although we've used it as such over the past 3 years to our regret).

The idea was (and still is) to put the best players on the field (that's why Kiwi is playing LBer). Unfortunately, the "best players" aren't necessarily the best at every position. There's a reason why DTs are usually 300lbs+ and SAM backers aren't. This is one philosophy I don't agree with (sort of like Andy Reid promoting an offensive line coach to Defensive Coordinator /facepalm).

JJC7301
01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
JR's done a great job in the early rounds which is important because that's where you have the best chance of getting the most talent. So, at least he's not blowing $$$ on bad picks in rounds 1 - 3.

His later rounds, 4 - 7, leave something to be desired. Except for 2007 (and to early to fully judge the 2011 draft), JR's picked some real whoppers that I think could have been signed as UDFA's instead of using actual picks on.

TCHOF
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Link?

BeatYale
01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
Eli was the least sacked QB in the league this year.

Sacks do not equal Pressures. The OLine played poorly in those ugly losses we had.

Eli gets rid of the ball to avoid sacks and does all kinds of pre-snap sorcery to get the most out of the OLine and RB's in pass protection....that doesn't mean the OLine played consistently well this year.

NYGisBallin
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Jerry Resse's formula in the early rounds has been a staple mark on our team, pass rushers, play makers at the wr position. Now it's time to beef up the o-line, this offense has the weapons, it just needs the big guys to pave the way.

I agree that the O-Line could use a little fine tuning... But was Eli not the least sacked QB in the league this season? Had to be around there at least... The O-Line didnt play terrible.. I do however agree it could be time to address it sooner rather than later either FA or Draft.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Sacks do not equal Pressures. The OLine played poorly in those ugly losses we had.

Eli gets rid of the ball to avoid sacks and does all kinds of pre-snap sorcery to get the most out of the OLine and RB's in pass protection....that doesn't mean the OLine played consistently well this year.

No, that's pretty much exactly what it means. Pressures don't mean anything to me. A QB is pressured on every play where the ball is hiked to him.

The oline, by and large, played fine. Having said that, it was a piece meal line. Locklear is a stop gap measure, not the future. DD is pretty much at the end of his rope. Beatty is an FA this off season. Accordingly the oline is something we have to look at this year (one would think).

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Link?

Can't find it ... basically (off of memory at the draft) Reese said that Cordy Glenn and David Wilson were so close, that he went with the position of most need (ironic considering OL was considered more in need than a RB by pretty much everybody).

When asked about Doug Martin, Reese said he had Wilson rated higher and as the highest rated RB where we picked. Somehow that got condensed to "highest rated player". But I'll keep digging for it.

GoDeep80
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Can't find it ... basically (off of memory at the draft) Reese said that Cordy Glenn and David Wilson were so close, that he went with the position of most need (ironic considering OL was considered more in need than a RB by pretty much everybody).

When asked about Doug Martin, Reese said he had Wilson rated higher and as the highest rated RB where we picked. Somehow that got condensed to "highest rated player". But I'll keep digging for it.I remember him saying it too. he picked Wilson because he knew that teams were going to go on a run with RBs in the second and saw deeper talent in the OL class than RB.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM

When asked about Doug Martin, Reese said he had Wilson rated higher and as the highest rated RB where we picked. Somehow that got condensed to "highest rated player". But I'll keep digging for it.

Really? with bradshaw unable to practice and Jacobs unable to get on the field on another team other than ours, i certainly thought we had more need at RB than OL.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Really? with bradshaw unable to practice and Jacobs unable to get on the field on another team other than ours, i certainly thought we had more need at RB than OL.

It was the off season. Jacobs and Bradshaw were both healthy (well as healthy as Bradshaw ever is) and we had three potentials behind them in Brown, Ware and Scott. Not exactly a need (especially if you consider ages of all involved).

Conversely we had an aging offensive line, a LT everyone thought was done (DD) and a RT we didn't want to re-sign (KM) and backups who have seen little or no playing time (Petrus, Brewer, etc ...).

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
I remember him saying it too. he picked Wilson because he knew that teams were going to go on a run with RBs in the second and saw deeper talent in the OL class than RB.

Thanks (good to know I'm not totally senile these days).

TheEnigma
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
I remember him saying it too. he picked Wilson because he knew that teams were going to go on a run with RBs in the second and saw deeper talent in the OL class than RB.

That was pretty much it. I also assume he thought Wilson was the superior athlete versus Glenn because he can never stop talking about this kid's physical ability in interviews. I dunno...I've voiced my displeasure with the pick multiple times so I'll leave it at that.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
That was pretty much it. I also assume he thought Wilson was the superior athlete versus Glenn because he can never stop talking about this kid's physical ability in interviews. I dunno...I've voiced my displeasure with the pick multiple times so I'll leave it at that.

I didn't mind the pick personally ... just illustrating greed over need in this case (and what *seems* to be Reese's generally philosophy on OL positions in general).

Having said that, I can see it coming back to bite us in the keister if this trend continues. The more you gamble, the more chances you have to lose (ala Marvin Austin).

TheEnigma
01-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I didn't mind the pick personally ... just illustrating greed over need in this case (and what *seems* to be Reese's generally philosophy on OL positions in general).

Having said that, I can see it coming back to bite us in the keister if this trend continues. The more you gamble, the more chances you have to lose (ala Marvin Austin).

It was just a case of how well we do with later round RBs and then you look back in our history with our misfortune with 1st round RBs. Woolfolk, Bunch, I'm sure I'm missing someone...and yes, I'm a tad superstitious in that regard. Plus, Glenn is a versatile lineman and it just made too much sense. Hopefully Wilson beasts next year and shuts me up.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Well all of this is hindsight. JPP was the sexier and more aggressive pick ... Iupati was the safer pick. Obviously if JPP didn't work out (or if he goes south now as well as our offensive line) then we'd look back and say "wow, that was a miss". You can also make the argument (and fairly valid one) that the difference between a late first round OG and a late fourth round OG isn't all that great (while the same can't be said for DEs since they're so coveted).

The Austin pick was the exact same deal. A bonafide top 10 draft prospect who slipped due to being kicked out of school but with immense measurables and resume. He took the gamble but this time it hasn't paid off (yet). Then again, for as good as Sean Lee is (and I wanted him SOOOOO badly) he can't seem to stay on the field 100% either.

So my love of typing brings us to this ... Everything is amazingly clear in the rear view mirror.

I bet he had this exact conversation in his own head and since it wasn't obvious, he went with what he thought best ("him" being the FO in general).

JPP was a wish and a prayer (not to mention 14 back flips in a row by a DE prospect). Tons of physical measurables but not off the charts. Conversely, an OG at that spot who might be "good" but not considered a blue chipper just wasn't as sexy. The JPP pick definitely wasn't BPA though (at least by any measurable other than back flips).

Spags started the Nascar package in 2007 with Osi, Tuck and Strahan (remember Tuck playing DT?). It was a defensive wrinkle that lasted for a few games and worked especially well against teams who couldn't run the ball well. It's not a defensive scheme (although we've used it as such over the past 3 years to our regret).

The idea was (and still is) to put the best players on the field (that's why Kiwi is playing LBer). Unfortunately, the "best players" aren't necessarily the best at every position. There's a reason why DTs are usually 300lbs+ and SAM backers aren't. This is one philosophy I don't agree with (sort of like Andy Reid promoting an offensive line coach to Defensive Coordinator /facepalm).

we'll have to agree to disagree on JPP, even as a project seeing him as 'good' already was reasonable, i didn't know squat about Mike Iupati but both draft reports i just read called him a bit raw and a project as well. while the backflips is what we as fans had access to the scouts probably spent more time talking to coaches and teachers and less time on youtube than we all did. this pick was a lot more BPA, especially if the standard is Iupati.

i wasn't mentioning nascar as scheme, more a philosophy of having more talent at DE than you need, which results in a defensive strategy almost entirely focused on the passrush and getting turnovers off that passrush.

slipknottin
01-03-2013, 01:43 PM

Could have been very concerned about Glenns injury history with his back, and also could have thought there were later OL who had similar ability, while there were no later HBs with similar ability to Wilson

slipknottin
01-03-2013, 01:44 PM
And I completely disagree HB wasent a need. Jacobs was released. Bradshaw was injured. Brown had done nothing in the NFL, and the giants had the worst running game in the league with almost no explosive plays at all from that position.

HB was certainly a need. A pretty significant one at the time.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Could have been very concerned about Glenns injury history with his back, and also could have thought there were later OL who had similar ability, while there were no later HBs with similar ability to Wilson

Definitely the latter was commented on.

I didn't follow Glenn's injury history (didn't remember there being anything of note at the time). I'd have shied away from an OL with back problems too though.

As for RB being a need ... Jacobs was released with the draft in mind and Bradshaw wasn't hurt the point where anyone thought his career was over. While Brown was a project I agree, the Giants were high on Ware and Scott (or said they were prior to the draft).

But generally speaking, you draft the skill positions higher so I can't fault him for the logic. But that also means that short of getting handed a major blue chipper in the first two rounds, Giants fans shouldn't expect to see us draft an OL high in the draft in the near future (imo).

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Sean Lee and Marvin Austin weren't even in the same draft.

TCHOF
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Sean Lee and Marvin Austin weren't even in the same draft.

Joseph was the DT we took when Lee was still on the board, not Austin.

TCHOF
01-03-2013, 03:07 PM

Not being a wise guy . . . just sort of surprised that Reese would actually admit that he took the lower rated guy (even if it was true)

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Not being a wise guy . . . just sort of surprised that Reese would actually admit that he took the lower rated guy (even if it was true)

The way he made it sound was that he basically had Wilson and Glenn rated almost identically (the difference being negligible in terms of the "tier" of the player) but with Glenn just slightly higher. He said he thought there was more value lower in the draft at OL than at RB which he saw as dropping sharply (the inference being that Wilson, Martin and Richardson being the only "tier 1" RBs in the draft).

He may very well have had Wilson rated higher ... but everyone in the country had Wilson as a mid-second round pick and Glenn as a mid-first round pick. So he might have just been saying that as an explanation (no GM wants his pick labeled as a reach).

My opinion is that he doesn't value OL as strongly as the skill positions (and DL in general). And you can make the case ... it's much harder to rate an OG than it is to rate a RB (especially trying to convert in your head how said person may work out in your system).

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 03:14 PM
Joseph was the DT we took when Lee was still on the board, not Austin.Considering that Joseph is arguably our best DT at a really thin position, and Sean Lee has started an average of 7 games per season since entering the league, I'm not so sure that Reese really made a poor decision on that one.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Joseph was the DT we took when Lee was still on the board, not Austin.

Oops you're right ... mixing up my DTs.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Considering that Joseph is arguably our best DT at a really thin position, and Sean Lee has started an average of 7 games per season since entering the league, I'm not so sure that Reese really made a poor decision on that one.

True ... although Joseph has been questionable this year (good early on but disappeared midway through the season). But Lee has definitely been fragile so there ya go.

TCHOF
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Considering that Joseph is arguably our best DT at a really thin position, and Sean Lee has started an average of 7 games per season since entering the league, I'm not so sure that Reese really made a poor decision on that one.

I know a lot of people here think Joseph is very good, but I just don't notice him at all making impact plays during games and other teams seeem to just run up the middle on us with no problem. I just wonder what everyone see in him.

Good point about Lee's injuries though.

Kruunch
01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
I know a lot of people here think Joseph is very good, but I just don't notice him at all making impact plays during games and other teams seeem to just run up the middle on us with no problem. I just wonder what everyone see in him.

Good point about Lee's injuries though.

Joseph has been fairly excellent up until this year. He started this year really strong, but like the rest of our defense, kind of disappeared.

DT's don't tend to be as flashy as pass rushers. When a QB has to scramble and throw it away, it's usually because the DT collapsed the middle of the pocket.

In general our run defense philosophy was fairly poor this year (Nascar my butt).

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM

Good point about Lee's injuries though.Joseph is a really solid DT. He can't do it all alone, but that's mainly because he is, like I said, really solid -- and not an elite type guy. He held up well, but the unit itself was pretty mediocre because it was decimated by injuries and as a result was razor-thin depth-wise.

ANON837
01-03-2013, 04:45 PM
No, that's pretty much exactly what it means. Pressures don't mean anything to me. A QB is pressured on every play where the ball is hiked to him.

The oline, by and large, played fine. Having said that, it was a piece meal line. Locklear is a stop gap measure, not the future. DD is pretty much at the end of his rope. Beatty is an FA this off season. Accordingly the oline is something we have to look at this year (one would think).Pressures mean a lot especially to Eli. When your timing patterns are off there is a good chance for a bad throw or the QB tossing it out of bounds. One step closer to a 3 and out. Remember, he ain't exactly fleet of foot. A pressure to RG3 or even Romo ain't the same to Eli. Eli is considered a statue in today's game of mobile QBs. And the OL played OK. 4/5 of that line could be upgraded. Not saying that it will because the teams don't play with monopoly money. But Boothe, Baas, Diehl, and even Snee could all be replaced. Beatty is the only servicable one on the line. Reese is going to have start addressing the OL like it is an integral part of this team. Thinking he can continually strike gold in the later rounds and in FA is not wise. Pat Flaherty can't be expected to continually create miracles. The moment they let Petigout go I said they should start rebuilding with quality linemen and dont' reach come draft time or overpay in free agency.

BeatYale
01-07-2013, 03:59 PM

The oline, by and large, played fine. Having said that, it was a piece meal line. Locklear is a stop gap measure, not the future. DD is pretty much at the end of his rope. Beatty is an FA this off season. Accordingly the oline is something we have to look at this year (one would think).

Who cares if it doesn't mean a thing to you. It matters. Pressuring a QB to force an errant throw or disrupting the timing of pass play is something that any defense would want to do on a consistent basis because it's the next best thing to stopping the play via a sack. Lets use our own defense as an example. We finished top 3 in sacks in 2011, but bottom 6 in QB pressures. Our pass defense was ranked 29th. Teams with less sacks than us, but a higher rank in QB pressures - had higher ranked pass defenses. It isn't pointless, it's significant.

Just because Eli isn't giving up many sacks to defenses doesn't mean our OLine is awesome.

nycsportzfan
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Joseph is a above avg DT.. I mean, when u miss on guys like Marvin Austin and u gotta have Rocky Bernard and Marvin Austin filling in most of the yr for Canty, ur gonna notice running up the gut, becuase Linval is only one guy... He had 50plus tackles, 2FT, 1FF, 4sacks, 2TFL.. A very solid season indeed.. Hes a piece reese nailed right on the head, and god forbid where we'd be if we didn't have him while Canty was down and out...