PDA

View Full Version : Giants Hope To Avoid Brownout With Young Safety

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giants_hope_to_avoid_brownout_with_fNBIp3tX1rot4N9 RLeiEVL

Excerpt: "Stevie Brown is set to become a restricted free agent and, given the season he just gave the Giants, how can they move forward without re-signing him?

The season is over and done with for the Giants, but the hits keep coming for Brown, who yesterday was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week, the first Giants safety to receive that honor twice in a season.Brown, 25, finished up a breakthrough first year with the Giants in style. On the fifth play of last Sunday’s 42-7 victory over the Eagles, Brown intercepted a Michael Vick pass and returned it 48 yards, setting up the Giants’ first touchdown. Brown also had six solo tackles, matching Chase Blackburn for the team lead.

Signed as primarily a special teams player, Brown started 11 games, as Kenny Phillips was mostly out of the lineup with knee issues. Brown made the most of his playing time, leading the team with eight interceptions, second in the NFL behind Tim Jennings of the Bears, who had nine. The eight interceptions were the most by a Giant since Willie Williams had 10 in 1968. Brown previously played for the Raiders and Colts and in 23 career games did not have any interceptions.

“Stevie had an outstanding season and became a ball-hawk for us,’’ Antrel Rolle said on WFAN. “It just seemed like he had a magnet for the ball. It was crazy.

’’What happens next with Brown is probably tied to what the Giants do with Phillips, who after five seasons is an unrestricted free agent and seems headed elsewhere. Asked if he thinks he needs a change of scenery, Phillips laughed and said, “I just got to wait and see what happens.’’ Read more...

TheAnalyst
01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Got to keep him and Will Hill IMO.

NYGisBallin
01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Gotta bring him back.. Interesting to see how Reese plays this.

ny06
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Got to keep him and Will Hill IMO.
Will Hill has two more years under contract with us. The Giants have a choice to resign Stevie Brown or Kenny Phillips, I highly doubt they can retain both with the other free agents they have. I believe Brown is a restriced free agent, meaning we would be compensated if a team signs him. Not the same for Kenny Phillips.

Moke
01-03-2013, 01:23 PM
I want Brown over Phillips.

GMAN2K9
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
It's really unfortunate we couldnt see more of the three safety package featuring Rolle, Brown, and Phillips. In times we did (Green Bay, 2nd Philly game), the back end of our defense was rock solid

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Tender him at the highest and try to shop him, that's top notch management in my eyes. Take a player as a ST guy, pay him the minimum, showcase his talents, and get some picks.

gmen0820
01-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Or at the second round level tender

TuckandRolle
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I would be happy if we put a 2nd round tender on him. Some stupid team will overpay for that.

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 02:58 PM
It's really unfortunate we couldnt see more of the three safety package featuring Rolle, Brown, and Phillips. In times we did (Green Bay, 2nd Philly game), the back end of our defense was rock solidLooking forward to Rolle, Hill, and Brown

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
this guy is a MUST sign,,,pure ball hawk.

BlueReign
01-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Everyone is so quick to dismiss KP. Brown sure does make some great plays on the ball, but for every INT he has 2 blown coverages.

The_ One
01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
K.Phillips is done, ever since his knee injury he has not been the same, and is constantly on the injured list, we need players that can get on the field and produce, and Brown is one of those players, Brown will be resigned and Phillips is gone.

DVision
01-03-2013, 05:29 PM
K.Phillips is done, ever since his knee injury he has not been the same, and is constantly on the injured list, we need players that can get on the field and produce, and Brown is one of those players, Brown will be resigned and Phillips is gone.

What are you talking about? KP's injury this season is in no way related to his injury in 09. He played 16 games in 10 and 15 in 11! He had a VERY good season in 11 and this defense has been MUCH better when he's been on the field. He's by far the surest tackler in our secondary! This season he had an unfortunate injury and now all the sudden he's injury prone and worthless?

Martyr
01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
this guy is a MUST sign,,,pure ball hawk.

Agreed one of the few bright spots on the Defense this year

giants8493
01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Everyone is so quick to dismiss KP. Brown sure does make some great plays on the ball, but for every INT he has 2 blown coverages. Yeah man. KP doesnt really blow assignments. Then again another year in the system and maybe brown can start to get it.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah man. KP doesnt really blow assignments. Then again another year in the system and maybe brown can start to get it.

for every game KP missed stevie played in,,solid at the position,,,who doesn't blow coverages? its the nfl.,.it happens,,,,the fact of the matter is stevie has an eye for the ball,,actually makes the pick instead of dropping it,,,and plays a full season compared to 10 or so games from KP. now I am not saying get rid of KP by any stretch,,but those knees have to come under consideration at some point. if he is willing to play a one year deal like kiwi did to show he can stay healthy, great,,if not? we need to move on, he has demonstrated chronic knee problems.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 06:49 PM
for every game KP missed stevie played in,,solid at the position,,,who doesn't blow coverages? its the nfl.,.it happens,,,,the fact of the matter is stevie has an eye for the ball,,actually makes the pick instead of dropping it,,,and plays a full season compared to 10 or so games from KP. now I am not saying get rid of KP by any stretch,,but those knees have to come under consideration at some point. if he is willing to play a one year deal like kiwi did to show he can stay healthy, great,,if not? we need to move on, he has demonstrated chronic knee problems.I know that everyone messes up. KP messes up less then Brown is fact though. Maybe Brown will improve, maybe he wont. I would much rather be safer with Philips.

BlueReign
01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah man. KP doesnt really blow assignments. Then again another year in the system and maybe brown can start to get it.I hope so because I think Brown will be retained. KP is all over the field when he can stay on it.

NYGfanNC
01-03-2013, 06:54 PM
So will they resign him or Kenny Philips?

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-03-2013, 07:03 PM
I know that everyone messes up. KP messes up less then Brown is fact though. Maybe Brown will improve, maybe he wont. I would much rather be safer with Philips.

no I hear you completely,,KP when healthy is a really good safety,,problem is when he is hurt he is almost invisible,,and he is hurt more often then not.

fletch842
01-03-2013, 07:07 PM
no I hear you completely,,KP when healthy is a really good safety,,problem is when he is hurt he is almost invisible,,and he is hurt more often then not.
sigh, sad but true.

DVision
01-03-2013, 07:09 PM
for every game KP missed stevie played in,,solid at the position,,,who doesn't blow coverages? its the nfl.,.it happens,,,,the fact of the matter is stevie has an eye for the ball,,actually makes the pick instead of dropping it,,,and plays a full season compared to 10 or so games from KP. now I am not saying get rid of KP by any stretch,,but those knees have to come under consideration at some point. if he is willing to play a one year deal like kiwi did to show he can stay healthy, great,,if not? we need to move on, he has demonstrated chronic knee problems.

Now everyone that suffers a knee injury has chronic knee problems? KP's knee problem from 09 has not been an issue since then. He had a MCL sprain this season in the other knee. It required rest! Far from a chronic knee problem!

moosedrool
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
How did KP get his knee injured this year? If some player came crashing into it nobody can label him injury prone.

That said, KP is a top safety when healthy and I would hate to see him go. But at age 26, someone is going to offer him big bucks.

TextureDj
01-03-2013, 08:07 PM
How did KP get his knee injured this year? If some player came crashing into it nobody can label him injury prone.

That said, KP is a top safety when healthy and I would hate to see him go. But at age 26, someone is going to offer him big bucks. Nobody crashed into him as I remember but it was one of those bad plant situations where your cleat hangs up and doesnt slip when your body torques around it. Very similar to Martellus Bennetts injury actually. Not the type of thing that ends careers or signals an injury prone guy, obe of those **** happens sort of things.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-03-2013, 08:22 PM

That said, KP is a top safety when healthy and I would hate to see him go. But at age 26, someone is going to offer him big bucks.

the guy is injury prone,,gimp knee and all,,I believe his latest injury was a non contact injury,,,you cant stop on a dime or cut with a chronically bad knee,,sorry to say.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
the guy is injury prone,,gimp knee and all,,I believe his latest injury was a non contact injury,,,you cant stop on a dime or cut with a chronically bad knee,,sorry to say.I thought it was the other knee. Which means BOTH his knees are chronically bad now!

DVision
01-03-2013, 10:38 PM
the guy is injury prone,,gimp knee and all,,I believe his latest injury was a non contact injury,,,you cant stop on a dime or cut with a chronically bad knee,,sorry to say.

Again you have no idea what your talking about! It was not even the same knee Doc! Do you actually know the meaning of the word "chronically"?

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Again you have no idea what your talking about! It was not even the same knee Doc! Do you actually know the meaning of the word "chronically"?

LOL,,,all this board needs,,another clueless member ,,chronic as in persistent or long lasting, as in he has had reoccurring problems with his knees since 2009,,,,,has he missed multiple games since 2009 because of CHRONIC knee problems? YES ...it's even worse with both knees, and he continues to have problems,,,,,,,,before you insult somebody have a clue and a dictionary buddy, you made yourself look like a fool. Lesson over.

I am assuming you can read, some articles on KP's CHRONIC knee condition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4500922

http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs-eagles-2012-week-4-everything-you-need-to-know/2012/10/1/3438022/kenny-phillips-injury-new-york-giants

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/kenny-phillips-injures-right-knee-but-says-he-could-have-returned-1.4259971

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-phillips-blames-rehab-knee-problems-article-1.1211110

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/12/21/are-giants-looking-past-kenny-phillips

he's missed 24 games because of his knees since 2009,,,24

SO YEAH, I WOULD CALL HIS KNEE CONDITION CHRONIC.

VBGiantsFan
01-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Will Hill is similar to KP in my opinion. We don't have anything on the roster like a Stevie Brown. That being said, Brown has possible one hit wonder written all over him. Also, I don't think we have a safety who can stop the run like KP.

giantsfan420
01-04-2013, 02:19 AM
whose to say we cant keep both?

brown had a better year but imo KP is more important and does more for the defense. the reason he doesnt get as many plays on the ball is bc opposing qbs will rarely challenge him. he takes away the deep passes. browns skill set doesnt give us that. to be honest, he actually gives us what rolle was hoped to. i say we keep all 3, and if I were forced to make a decision, Id cut ties with Rolle even tho hes prob the best leader we have on D atm.

giantsfan420
01-04-2013, 02:26 AM
brown shouldnt be asked to fulfill the same role KP gives us. hes not suited for it. its why we conceded so many big plays when KP went out. KP masks websters play often as well. Browns at his best playing shallow coverage in the thick of everyone. which is why id keep him and let rolle go if had to, and ive supported rolle and his bloated contract endlessly on here...

BurnerNYG
01-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Idk why anybody would want Kenny Phillips back over Brown? I didn't want T2 over Ross and I certainly wouldn't take Nicks over Cruz. Gimme somebody who's healthy more than they're injured and I'm happy. Tired of all these fragile football players on this team.

Captain Chaos
01-04-2013, 04:45 AM
With all the things that wee that the team needs and the price tag he will have, he may be a luxury....

TCHOF
01-04-2013, 06:30 AM

Depends on the money. If the money is close, I take KP all day.

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 07:22 AM
Will Hill has two more years under contract with us. The Giants have a choice to resign Stevie Brown or Kenny Phillips, I highly doubt they can retain both with the other free agents they have. I believe Brown is a restriced free agent, meaning we would be compensated if a team signs him. Not the same for Kenny Phillips.They can keep both if they cut Rolle.

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 07:27 AM
A lot of Giants fans say this because of the Turnovers but the Giants defense was MUCH better this season in games Phillips played. They averaged 18 points a game when he played and 26 when he didnt. Phillips covers a lot more ground . Im going to have to rewatch all the games at some point but they seem to play more aggressive coverage wise when he is playing

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Idk why anybody would want Kenny Phillips back over Brown? I didn't want T2 over Ross and I certainly wouldn't take Nicks over Cruz. Gimme somebody who's healthy more than they're injured and I'm happy. Tired of all these fragile football players on this team. i think the Giants can keep them all.

GIANTSACK
01-04-2013, 08:09 AM

When KP is on the field he controls the secondary alot better than brown. Broen takes risk but gets alot of high reward but ive seen alot plays where corey couldve use saftey help and brown bit on the playaction. My opinion is to keeo kp over brown bc kp is safe. I do sgree there are some play where kp goes for the killer shot instead of int.

DVision
01-04-2013, 10:51 AM
LOL,,,all this board needs,,another clueless member ,,chronic as in persistent or long lasting, as in he has had reoccurring problems with his knees since 2009,,,,,has he missed multiple games since 2009 because of CHRONIC knee problems? YES ...it's even worse with both knees, and he continues to have problems,,,,,,,,before you insult somebody have a clue and a dictionary buddy, you made yourself look like a fool. Lesson over.

I am assuming you can read, some articles on KP's CHRONIC knee condition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4500922

http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs-eagles-2012-week-4-everything-you-need-to-know/2012/10/1/3438022/kenny-phillips-injury-new-york-giants

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/kenny-phillips-injures-right-knee-but-says-he-could-have-returned-1.4259971

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giants-phillips-blames-rehab-knee-problems-article-1.1211110

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/12/21/are-giants-looking-past-kenny-phillips

he's missed 24 games because of his knees since 2009,,,24

SO YEAH, I WOULD CALL HIS KNEE CONDITION CHRONIC.

I can't believe you went through the trouble of finding a whole bunch of useless articles about the same thing! Non of which support your point! Funny that one is from 09 and is about his left knee, which by the way has not been a problem since microfracture surgery and the others are about his MCL sprain in his right knee this season! Funny you can't find anything from 10 or 11. Do you know the difference between right and left? Can you explain how an injury in a completely different knee is a chronic or reoccurring condition? And you call me clueless? Lol.

BlueReign
01-04-2013, 12:40 PM
A lot of Giants fans say this because of the Turnovers but the Giants defense was MUCH better this season in games Phillips played. They averaged 18 points a game when he played and 26 when he didnt. Phillips covers a lot more ground . Im going to have to rewatch all the games at some point but they seem to play more aggressive coverage wise when he is playing

Been saying this for a while. Everyone is enamored with the big play. I'll take solid coverage and lack of big offensive plays over the occasional INT any day.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Ideally, it's KP-Rolle-Brown. I want Rolle to stay, maybe re-do his deal completely because the restructures are really adding up. Rolle is the only guy on this D with fire, and I'd hate to see that go.

moosedrool
01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Ideally, it's KP-Rolle-Brown. I want Rolle to stay, maybe re-do his deal completely because the restructures are really adding up. Rolle is the only guy on this D with fire, and I'd hate to see that go.

If we only keep three, I'd rather see KP-Hill-Brown. All three had a much better PFF pass coverage grade than Rolle, and all three are at least 4 years younger than Rolle.

DVision
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
If we only keep three, I'd rather see KP-Hill-Brown. All three had a much better PFF pass coverage grade than Rolle, and all three are at least 4 years younger than Rolle.

Hill has the size and has shown the tackling ability to be that in the box safety. As much as I like Rolle's mentality he really is the worst of the bunch when it comes to coverage which is surprising since he's a converted corner.

moosedrool
01-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Hill has the size and has shown the tackling ability to be that in the box safety.

The other thing about Hill I really like is he covered the TE pretty well this year. The game Witten had over 15 receptions Hill was hurt.

As much as I like Rolle's mentality he really is the worst of the bunch when it comes to coverage which is surprising since he's a converted corner.

That's why he was converted to safety