PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin Walking Around "Like A Crazy Man" Coping With Giants' Finish

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 06:34 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/coughlin_walking_around_like_crazy_XvEs7z4mCMUwWtb 5vc7umJ#axzz2GxTVNhi0

Excerpt: "It has only been four days since the end of the season and yet Coughlin hasn’t come close to letting go of the disappointment of his Giants not qualifying for the playoffs one year after winning the Super Bowl.

"I can't even describe how it hurts … I don’t know what to do," Coughlin said Thursday during a high-energy 30-minute session on WFAN. "I’m walking around here like a crazy man. I am. I don’t know what to do with myself. We shouldn’t be doing this right now. The pain of it is almost indescribable."

Coughlin said he’s been at the team facility “taking it all apart right now as a coaching staff, and hopefully we can provide some answers’’ as to why his team lost two of its last three games, finished 9-7, failed to make the playoffs and failed to put up competitive efforts in Atlanta and Baltimore.

What Coughlin doesn’t think he should be doing is pouring over the evidence of a season that produced wildly inconsistent play, why down the stretch in Atlanta and Baltimore “we didn’t fire a shot’’ as far as putting up a respectable performances in losses by a combined 67-14. All this caught Coughlin completely by surprise after the Giants at mid-season were their customary 6-2.

“I’m glad I’m not a betting man because I would have lost everything,’’ Coughlin said." Read more...

Rudyy
01-03-2013, 06:35 PM
This caught him by surprise?
I like Coughlin a lot, but this has happened almost every single year.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't blame him. Its illogical how bad they were and its his job to figure out why. The limit does not exist Tom!

ashleymarie
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
The team needed a coach, Coach. Wah.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 06:38 PM
This caught him by surprise?
I like Coughlin a lot, but this has happened almost every single year.

Things like Osi and Tuck mailing it in might be one of those question marks

Rudyy
01-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Things like Osi and Tuck mailing it in might be one of those question marksMailing it...every year?
Fortunately though, Osi will be gone.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Mailing it...every year?
Fortunately though, Osi will be gone.

He's looking at this season for answers.

NorwoodBlue
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Starting injured players,over healthy ones; failure to utilize young talent, I can give you a couple clues coach.

Rudyy
01-03-2013, 06:55 PM
He's looking at this season for answers.But this season is the same with every other season, not playing your best football down the stretch. Hopefully he will re-evaluate his scheme this off season, and the players will re-evaluate their play.

Cloud57
01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Poor Tom, he needs to go to the Bahamas like Rex did.

mike kennedy
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/coughlin_walking_around_like_crazy_XvEs7z4mCMUwWtb 5vc7umJ#axzz2GxTVNhi0

Excerpt: "It has only been four days since the end of the season and yet Coughlin hasn’t come close to letting go of the disappointment of his Giants not qualifying for the playoffs one year after winning the Super Bowl.

"I can't even describe how it hurts … I don’t know what to do," Coughlin said Thursday during a high-energy 30-minute session on WFAN. "I’m walking around here like a crazy man. I am. I don’t know what to do with myself. We shouldn’t be doing this right now. The pain of it is almost indescribable."

Coughlin said he’s been at the team facility “taking it all apart right now as a coaching staff, and hopefully we can provide some answers’’ as to why his team lost two of its last three games, finished 9-7, failed to make the playoffs and failed to put up competitive efforts in Atlanta and Baltimore.

What Coughlin doesn’t think he should be doing is pouring over the evidence of a season that produced wildly inconsistent play, why down the stretch in Atlanta and Baltimore “we didn’t fire a shot’’ as far as putting up a respectable performances in losses by a combined 67-14. All this caught Coughlin completely by surprise after the Giants at mid-season were their customary 6-2.

“I’m glad I’m not a betting man because I would have lost everything,’’ Coughlin said." Read more...

And this bugs the crap out of me also. Watching all the stuff about Ray Lewis today and how he played through injuries and gave it all he got to fire up his team makes me see what a few panty waste we have on this defense.

I Bleed Blue
01-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Then maybe he should take a look in mirror. It's been the same story every year with the late season collapses. His answer is the same every year. EXECUTION! This is bull. Look at the different players this team has had since he arrived, and you are telling me it's always the fault of execution? How about coordinators who cannot consistently game plan or make in game adjustments? That might be the something to look at, Tom. How about leaving Webster out on an island to get undresses with no safety help? How about a scared sh@tless defense coordinator who refuses to blitz?

How about the first Philly game, when you just needed to move the ball a few more yard for Tynes to be within his range, but Gilbride decides to go for the long ball when it was not needed? How about putting a limping Nicks out on the field when it was obvious he wasn't helping the team? How about you stop treating rookies like hooker trash? If a player cannot perform his duties, he should not be allowed to keep his spot simply because he has seniority. These are the things he should look at instead of pacing the floor. Expect more of the same next season. He’s too damn stubborn for his own good and it’s hurting the team.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 07:14 PM
And this bugs the crap out of me also. Watching all the stuff about Ray Lewis today and how he played through injuries and gave it all he got to fire up his team makes me see what a few panty waste we have on this defense.

Who didn't play with an injury that had medical clearance?

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Things like Osi and Tuck mailing it in might be one of those question marksDon't think they expected Webster to at so bad either.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Don't think they expected Webster to at so bad either.

There are other examples, like missing 18 out of 36 tackles in one game. It's NEVER one person or issue

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:22 PM
There are other examples, like missing 18 out of 36 tackles in one game. It's NEVER one person or issueIt is one person though is the thing. Its David Deihl.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
It is one person though is the thing. Its David Deihl.

Diehl is on offense, they typically don't tackle. At least not without a penalty.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Diehl is on offense, they typically don't tackleI know very well what position he plays thank you. And I still stand by that he is the source of all our problems.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I know very well what position he plays thank you. And I still stand by that he is the source of all our problems.

So you are saying Diehl is THE reason

TextureDj
01-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Starting injured players,over healthy ones; failure to utilize young talent, I can give you a couple clues coach.I agree in part and disagree in part.

I do believe that starting injured players has been a major factor in this years erratic performance. Guys having a good week, minimal pain, lots of energy team wails on the opposition. Following game, or after a couple good games it breaks down as the lack of practice time and increasing pain and loss of mobility take their tolls.

But.....

I think there is another factor at work here, probably front office drama we dont understand as fans. Tom Coughlin is a huge proponent of the fundamentals, a big one being, if you dont practice you dont play. I think there is some heat fom above to play these marquis players as long as they are saying they can go. I hope that this is wrong, or at least the reason for it is not to keep certain stats high since they reflect on the FO and its success, as opposed to whats best for the team and fans. Because that would be sacrilege within an organization that has always been football first.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:32 PM
So you are saying Diehl is THE reasonTHE reason. Cut him and were in the playoffs next year.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
THE reason. Cut him and were in the playoffs next year.

OK

Harooni
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
i bet he is hitting the bottle hard, poor guy , got to love his passion, he lives for this and this only , he even retired from his family to coach more

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:35 PM
OKIll try explaining this to the management. Hopefully they will get it.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
i bet he is hitting the bottle hard, poor guy , got to love his passion, he lives for this and this only , he even retired from his family to coach moreAmen Brother

Harooni
01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
THE reason. Cut him and were in the playoffs next year. well part of it, others need to be cut also and we need serious upgrades on defense. sometimes you have to know when a player is on the downside of his career and let him loose even if he has a few years left in him. Giants seem to be loyal to a fault.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:47 PM
well part of it, others need to be cut also and we need serious upgrades on defense. sometimes you have to know when a player is on the downside of his career and let him loose even if he has a few years left in him. Giants seem to be loyal to a fault.Addition by subtraction. without Diehl we would have more wins. I think the players know how bad he is and and know they can't rely on him. They see the tape too. I believe your only as strong as the weakest link and that is Diehl.

Harooni
01-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Addition by subtraction. without Diehl we would have more wins. I think the players know how bad he is and and know they can't rely on him. They see the tape too. I believe your only as strong as the weakest link and that is Diehl. thats isnt going to magically win us games though. we have many other issues. we were in a slump without him playing also. diehl is a superb gaurd also but his pricetag is high.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 07:53 PM
thats isnt going to magically win us games though. we have many other issues. we were in a slump without him playing also. diehl is a superb gaurd also but his pricetag is high.Sure it will. If were better without him , then were a better team. And if were a better team we win more games no? Factor in his pricetag and it hurts the team even more.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 08:04 PM
so many fans have been implying that coughlin cares more about loyalty to players than playing the best talent.

that doesn't sound like a guy who values anything more than winning.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I know very well what position he plays thank you. And I still stand by that he is the source of all our problems.

so a head coach with two superbowls and 3 decades as a head coach in the NFL missed that david diehl is the source of all of our problems.

jesus, you're smarter than that.

TheAnalyst
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I wasn't shocked. I mean, its happened 3 of the last 4 seasons. And even when we make the playoffs, we sucked in the second half.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
so a head coach with two superbowls and 3 decades as a head coach in the NFL missed that david diehl is the source of all of our problems.

jesus, you're smarter than that.You bet. Now you'r beginning to understand

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 08:11 PM
You bet. Now you'r beginning to understand

LOL

there's so much wrong with that, there's really no where to begin so i'm not going to try.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Sure it will. If were better without him , then were a better team. And if were a better team we win more games no? Factor in his pricetag and it hurts the team even more.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if we would have won more games or not.

giants8493
01-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Unfortunately, there is no way to know if we would have won more games or not.Well there is but Im not going to bother with that. Its outside my area of expertise . Way to hard for any of us.

OX1
01-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Best thing I heard in that interview was "where taking it all apart right now as a coaching staff and hopefully we can provide some answers".
Maybe we will never hear them, but I hope they figure it out................

bigblue58
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM

He has to look no further than his own stubbornness at not deviating from the status quo.
He had healthy players who had produced, riding the bench, while he insisted on playing his walking wounded players.
When things were stagnant on offense he stuck with play calling that wasn't producing results and allowed Killdrive to delay draw them to 3 and out after 3 and out.
He's steadfastly sticking by his DC who torpedoed the season with a 30th ranked squad that could never get off the field, blew leads in the 4th qtr, never could stop a 3rd and anything, and never gave the Offense a fighting chance to get back into a game!
Frankly, If he's this clueless as to what happened, then he has no business continuing to Coach in the NFL, because understanding why his team is performing the way they're performing is one of the biggest requirements of his job!
I always loved Coughlin but this mission he's on to find out what happened is a little shocking coming from a guy as sharp as he's always been.
He's starting to remind me of Captain Queeg looking for the culprits who stole all the strawberries in the Caine Mutiny!

drewz
01-03-2013, 08:32 PM
Misses Superbowl

Comes back with exact same personel

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Misses Superbowl

Comes back with exact same personel

I think we'll see personnel changes

embeshAtYa
01-03-2013, 09:47 PM
we got the ball ran right over us all year. coughlin preaches and the scheme is stop run. Rarely happened this year. Find the answer there Coughlin!! Dont ya need a good defense to win?? We were close to the worst in the league. just terribe. Sick of hearing this "just get to the tournament." This is why everyone says Giants lucky. UGhhhhhh ya coughlin. I hear ya

Buddy333
01-03-2013, 09:56 PM
The one mistake the coach made this year was playing Nicks before the bye. Said it then, it would have been better for him to be healthy down the stretch. Then again, those last two losses where so ugly even a healthy Nicks may not have made a difference.

TheAnalyst
01-03-2013, 10:16 PM
The one mistake the coach made this year was playing Nicks before the bye. Said it then, it would have been better for him to be healthy down the stretch. Then again, those last two losses where so ugly even a healthy Nicks may not have made a difference.A play here, a play there, changes the whole flow of the game. Hard to do anything on 3 and outs all day.