PDA

View Full Version : Reese: Wilson can be 'lead dog'

Cloud57
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
David Wilson may go from the doghouse to being the "lead dog" next season.

General manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin discussed the state of the Giants heading into the offseason on WFAN on Thursday, and the GM believes Wilson has what it takes to start next year.

"I don’t think there’s any question that he can be that," Reese said, when asked if Wilson can be a lead back. "It’s a two- and three-back league nowadays, but do I think he can be a lead dog? I do think that.

"Because he’s not a little guy, and he has incredible balance," Reese continued. "You see guys have some big hits on him and he stays up -- he’s not an easy guy to take down. So he’s much stronger than you might think just from how he looks on the field. But he’s a sleek, well-chiseled athlete. I do believe he can be the lead back."

Coughlin said he still believes the Giants are best served by a two- and even possibly a three-back rotation. Andre Brown, who will be a restricted free agent, was a part of that rotation before he broke his leg.

In the Giants' 42-7 win over the Eagles in the season finale, Bradshaw rushed for 107 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries, and Wilson ran for 75 yards on 15 carries while catching a touchdown as well. Coughlin will take that kind of one-two punch any day.

"Oh, he can be a 15-carry guy," Coughlin said of Wilson. "I think you’d be surprised how strong this guy is. He has outstanding legs. He wants it, he wants to be a player, he wants to do well, he loves to play and I think he had outstanding endurance. I’ve seen him. I mean (heck), he runs all day long. I like that part of it."

"It takes more than one," the coach added, of needing multiple backs. "Sometimes it takes three. Back in ’07, we had three of them."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/21566/reese-wilson-can-be-lead-dog

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 08:44 PM
He had better think that, he drafted him #1

TheAnalyst
01-03-2013, 11:29 PM
He had better think that, he drafted him #1Exactly what I was thinking. You don't draft a 1st round RB to ride the pine most the time.

GoDeep80
01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Soooo...Bradshaw is done here then?

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
He had better think that, he drafted him #1Lol I said the exact same thing in my head as I was reading

DownWitJPP
01-03-2013, 11:36 PM

not necessarily they could use bradshaw as the 3rd down back, although he does make alot of money to be a backup. Andre Brown was also coming along nicely so who knows which way they coaching staff decides to go. What I do know is we will need alot of $$$ to sign Cruz, Nicks and JPP to future contracts

Flip Empty
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
What of Da'Rel Scott? Is he just another Barden?

Toadofsteel
01-03-2013, 11:59 PM

He was originally intended to be a new speedster project, but didn't really pan out. For ever Reese "project" that succeeds, there's at least one that fails...

giantsfan420
01-04-2013, 12:19 AM
He was originally intended to be a new speedster project, but didn't really pan out. For ever Reese "project" that succeeds, there's at least one that fails...id say the jury is still out on him. hes had some very impressive runs himself and he has some hidden power as well.

and with the rb situation, we're def not getting rid of bradshaw imo. u just heard JR and TC say how 3 backs are needed. I think Wilson starts, Bradshaw 3rd down back, and AB2 spells them both.

NYGisBallin
01-04-2013, 12:38 AM
All signs are pointing to bradshaw being off this team.. The interview with francessa today.. Did JR even mention bradshaw once? I really think bradshaws time here could be up IMO.

myles2424
01-04-2013, 12:47 AM
not necessarily they could use bradshaw as the 3rd down back, although he does make alot of money to be a backup. Andre Brown was also coming along nicely so who knows which way they coaching staff decides to go. What I do know is we will need alot of $$$ to sign Cruz, Nicks and JPP to future contracts
So we pay Bradshaw almost 4mil to be a 3rd down back?

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:48 AM

That's not what has been said. We are far better off with a 2 or three back system. Who "leads" is really inconsequential. Things picked up in the running game when Andre Brown started to share the reps with Bradshaw. Then he broke his leg and Wilson got more snaps. Whoever they keep, that's how they should use them.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM

He's on IR

Cloud57
01-04-2013, 12:52 AM
If Bradshaw is cut which I think he won't be, we should pick up an extra RB in the 6th or 7th round in the draft unless they decide to stick with Lumpkin. Scott should also be cut imo.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM
So we pay Bradshaw almost 4mil to be a 3rd down back?

If he isn't going to be be part of the 1/2 tandem, they need to release him

Flip Empty
01-04-2013, 12:55 AM
He's on IR
I mean for next season. He's under contract for another two years. Barring injury, it'll be difficult for him to get game time.

myles2424
01-04-2013, 12:57 AM
If he isn't going to be be part of the 1/2 tandem, they need to release him
I agree...& with brown/Wilson, I don't see that happening...but leaning on brown,people forget his long injury history....browns been dealing with injuries since a freshman...wich would bring us to having to pick up another RB late in the draft,wich I'm ok with...

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:58 AM
I mean for next season. He's under contract for another two years. Barring injury, it'll be difficult for him to get game time.

That depends on who else makes the roster. I don't think Bradshaw is "assured" a spot. I actually see the tandem being Wilson and Brown. Bradshaw is not going to want to be the "3rd down back." I would expect him to ask for a trade or release. If that were to happen, Scott may be the 3rd back.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:59 AM
I agree...& with brown/Wilson, I don't see that happening...but leaning on brown,people forget his long injury history....browns been dealing with injuries since a freshman...wich would bring us to having to pick up another RB late in the draft,wich I'm ok with...

And Bradshaw has those feet that are never going to heal. That;s not his fault, but it is a detriment to the team's success.

nycisgreat
01-04-2013, 01:18 AM

I don't think that will be the case. I am assume he will get his knee and ankle treated in the off season. When the guy is health, he is a flat out beast. Hopefully he can stay some what healthy next season.

TheShouldersOf
01-04-2013, 04:03 AM
i don't believe it has to be a 'Two Back League' though that is a growing trend

Captain Chaos
01-04-2013, 06:03 AM
Bradshaw could be a cap casualty....

NYGisBallin
01-04-2013, 07:13 AM
Bradshaw could be a cap casualty....

As I mentioned earlier in the thread.. I really think this a strong possibility.. Reese basically said wilson will be the man next year which is fine by me.