PDA

View Full Version : Giants' GM Reese Thinks Michael Strahan Could Help JPP

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 08:01 PM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/GM-Reese-thinks-Strahan-could-help-JPP/65342a83-5d55-41cb-8ae3-fb67ccac9f45

Jason Pierre-Paul's success last season was going to be near impossible to reproduce in 2012. But his 6.5 sacks didn’t come close to the 16.5 he had a year ago, while the team’s totals dropped as well.

The NFL clearly paid attention during the Super Bowl run and teams did everything they could to slow the pass rush and prevent the Giants from repeating. Nevertheless, general manager Jerry Reese said Wednesday that the defensive end must overcome it and knows just the man Pierre-Paul needs to talk to.

“The guy I’d love for him to talk to in the offseason some is Michael Strahan,” Reese told WFAN’s Mike Francesa Thursday afternoon, referencing the Giants' all-time sack leader. “Because after Michael became the superstar defensive end, he was getting double teamed, he was getting chipped, but he was still getting sacks. So the great ones still get through there and still make plays. And he’s got to do that. He can’t give up, like, ‘Wow, they’re double teaming, they’re triple teaming me, I’m getting chipped, they’re high-low’ing me, they’re doing everything to me.’

“It’s frustrating for a young player, but to be a superstar defensive end or pass rusher in this league, you have to beat those double-team blocks. I’m going to reach out to Michael Strahan this offseason to see if we can have him have some conversations with JPP and just tell him, look, it’s inside your chest a lot of it, you’ve got to have the heart to do it. And I think he does. But I think if he hears it from somebody like Michael Strahan, that will really encourage him.”

Despite whatever drop-off there was, Pierre-Paul was again named to the Pro Bowl – the Giants’ only starter this year in Hawaii – but the concern was part of a larger picture. The Giants finished with 33 sacks (22nd in the NFL), which was down from 48 (3rd) in 2011.

“I’d like to make some excuses for them, we didn’t get the job done,” Reese said. “That’s the
number one thing I can tell you – we didn’t get the job done (http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/GM-Jerry-Reese-Season-in-Review/087c7c6d-a751-4c5f-99b0-2b16cc27ffef). And again, you can say, well, other teams prepare for this Giants pass rush, they get the ball out of the quarterbacks’ hands more quickly, they chip on these guys. So they do a lot of different things.

I said the other day the other teams’ coaches get paid as well. So there were some things to try to counter our pass rush, but the number one thing, we didn’t get it done. The pass rush didn’t get it done, and they feel badly about it. Those guys have a lot of pride up front.”

giants8493
01-03-2013, 08:03 PM
If that doesnt work ill help him.

CDN_G-FAN
01-03-2013, 08:16 PM
no one needed to double tuck, and the extra blockers just shifted to jpp who didn't adjust to the extra attention.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
The only problem here is Strahan had an effective bookend where JPP doesn't

TheAnalyst
01-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Well Reese, dump Fewell and hire Stray! Is Reese just depending on JPP to break double and triple teams? Get him a bookend DE, like a young Tuck, and see what happens.

RoanokeFan
01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Well Reese, dump Fewell and hire Stray! Is Reese just depending on JPP to break double and triple teams? Get him a bookend DE, like a young Tuck, and see what happens.

What makes Strahan a coach?

giants8493
01-03-2013, 09:02 PM
What makes Strahan a coach?His experience on Kelly and Micheal translate well to the NFL.

m0rbid1
01-03-2013, 09:14 PM
How about get JPP his "Robin" like how Jordan got Pippen??????????? You can't heavily depend on one guy on defense. Tuck and Osi aren't the answer, Reese.

Toadofsteel
01-03-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm hoping Tracy or Ojomo can be that bookend... we're not going to be able to resign all the high-priority FA from our own team, let alone go out and get another one, and we need the entire draft for O-line...

NWKEffectElement
01-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Bold statement by JR. Seems like JR is telling him he has to work for that huge contract everyone assumes he will get.

NYG 5
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM

lol que? and who was that, Kenny Holmes? I'd hardly call that an effective bookend. His most dominant seasons were 2001 and 2003, both of which were Kenny's and Hammer's worst. he didn't get a legit bookend until 2005, unless you want to count Chad Bratzke

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
lol que? and who was that, Kenny Holmes? I'd hardly call that an effective bookend. His most dominant seasons were 2001 and 2003, both of which were Kenny's and Hammer's worst. he didn't get a legit bookend until 2005, unless you want to count Chad Bratzke

Yep. Stray was a one man wrecking crew for awhile there

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 12:22 AM
If things ever go sideways with Kelly Ripa, I'd love to have him as our D-line coach...

nygpolishpunk
01-04-2013, 12:34 AM
If things ever go sideways with Kelly Ripa, I'd love to have him as our D-line coach...
I think if he wanted to do that he'd already be here.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 12:41 AM
After that "meeting" before the Ravens game, I have no faith in any motivational ploys that this team plans to attempt.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:45 AM
His experience on Kelly and Micheal translate well to the NFL.

I stand corrected MY BAD

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:46 AM

Coaches work too hard for what they get paid. Great players don't necessarily make good coaches.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 12:47 AM

I was referring to the old Tuck and Osi

VBGiantsFan
01-04-2013, 12:56 AM
I was referring to the old Tuck and Osi

That happened on the tail end of his career. He was a force well before the arrival of Osi and Tuck. In fact I would argue he had more of a role in their success than the reverse.

JPP needs a motivator, something Justin Tuck was far from this year.

NYGisBallin
01-04-2013, 06:28 AM
That happened on the tail end of his career. He was a force well before the arrival of Osi and Tuck. In fact I would argue he had more of a role in their success than the reverse.

JPP needs a motivator, something Justin Tuck was far from this year.

Tuck was hurt. He'll be back next year..

SweetZombieJesus
01-04-2013, 07:22 AM

What, Cedric Jones???? Chad Bratzke????

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 07:31 AM
U know what will help JPP , JR, get someone with a pulse on the other side

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm hoping Tracy or Ojomo can be that bookend... we're not going to be able to resign all the high-priority FA from our own team, let alone go out and get another one, and we need the entire draft for O-line... and if they are not "Very likely" u pass up a draft loaded with defensive ends for guys who probably wont be any good and the defense will be set back another year. Quality Olineman can be had in FA much cheaper then elite defensive end talent. 1 pass rusher has a much bigger impact on a game than 1 Olineman thats why u take pass rushers

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Tuck was hurt. He'll be back next year..What was Tucks problem last year he wasnt any good the whole regular season

timmytimm3
01-04-2013, 08:06 AM
What was Tucks problem last year he wasnt any good the whole regular season

Tuck has been playing on a bum shoulder for years now. Does anyone know if he ever got surgery on it??

What about his neck issues?

The way he is talking about playing 5 more years he better get it fixed.

NYGisBallin
01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
Tuck has been playing on a bum shoulder for years now. Does anyone know if he ever got surgery on it??

What about his neck issues?

The way he is talking about playing 5 more years he better get it fixed.

He's had numerous neck and shoulder injuries. I give him a ton of credit for toughing it out and trying to play through it. This year however, not sure if that was in his best interest.. His play suffered quite a bit. I believe he did get surgery on his shoulder this past offseason..

Tony Bruno
01-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Even Strahan would have had lower numbers this year had he played... Teams are getting the ball out of the QBs hands way faster so that they can negate the pass rush... With that said PF has to slide the corners in press coverage to screw up the timing and thats something that wasnt done...

Tuck and Osi played like trash and Kiwi should have played more at DE... I was never a fan of a DE playing LB as I think Kiwi is better at DE...

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Strahan could help JPP the most by suiting up and playing the strong side again.

/thread

bigblue58
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/GM-Reese-thinks-Strahan-could-help-JPP/65342a83-5d55-41cb-8ae3-fb67ccac9f45

Jason Pierre-Paul's success last season was going to be near impossible to reproduce in 2012. But his 6.5 sacks didn’t come close to the 16.5 he had a year ago, while the team’s totals dropped as well.

The NFL clearly paid attention during the Super Bowl run and teams did everything they could to slow the pass rush and prevent the Giants from repeating. Nevertheless, general manager Jerry Reese said Wednesday that the defensive end must overcome it and knows just the man Pierre-Paul needs to talk to.

“The guy I’d love for him to talk to in the offseason some is Michael Strahan,” Reese told WFAN’s Mike Francesa Thursday afternoon, referencing the Giants' all-time sack leader. “Because after Michael became the superstar defensive end, he was getting double teamed, he was getting chipped, but he was still getting sacks. So the great ones still get through there and still make plays. And he’s got to do that. He can’t give up, like, ‘Wow, they’re double teaming, they’re triple teaming me, I’m getting chipped, they’re high-low’ing me, they’re doing everything to me.’

“It’s frustrating for a young player, but to be a superstar defensive end or pass rusher in this league, you have to beat those double-team blocks. I’m going to reach out to Michael Strahan this offseason to see if we can have him have some conversations with JPP and just tell him, look, it’s inside your chest a lot of it, you’ve got to have the heart to do it. And I think he does. But I think if he hears it from somebody like Michael Strahan, that will really encourage him.”

Despite whatever drop-off there was, Pierre-Paul was again named to the Pro Bowl – the Giants’ only starter this year in Hawaii – but the concern was part of a larger picture. The Giants finished with 33 sacks (22nd in the NFL), which was down from 48 (3rd) in 2011.

“I’d like to make some excuses for them, we didn’t get the job done,” Reese said. “That’s the
number one thing I can tell you – we didn’t get the job done (http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/GM-Jerry-Reese-Season-in-Review/087c7c6d-a751-4c5f-99b0-2b16cc27ffef). And again, you can say, well, other teams prepare for this Giants pass rush, they get the ball out of the quarterbacks’ hands more quickly, they chip on these guys. So they do a lot of different things.

I said the other day the other teams’ coaches get paid as well. So there were some things to try to counter our pass rush, but the number one thing, we didn’t get it done. The pass rush didn’t get it done, and they feel badly about it. Those guys have a lot of pride up front.”

Help him more than his DL coach or DC? Thats a pretty alarming thing for a GM to say if you ask me!
Strahan figured out how to overcome a double team on his own? Interesting thing for a sitting GM to insinuate.

nhpgiantsfan
01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
He's had numerous neck and shoulder injuries. I give him a ton of credit for toughing it out and trying to play through it. This year however, not sure if that was in his best interest.. His play suffered quite a bit. I believe he did get surgery on his shoulder this past offseason..

Don't make excuses for Tuck. He wasn't even on the injury report all year, and when he finally showed up on the injury report he sat the game out. He is soft and everyone who watches him knows it. He had a horrible season and has been declining for the past few years. I

bigblue58
01-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Are people forgetting that JPP was often double teamed last year too, not just this year, and that the difference between last year and this one is that he couldn't be stopped last season with three guys on him, he bull rushed everything, and that this year he was neutralized far too easily!
Why?
I think his back was an issue the entire season, and he either hid it from the team or the Giants didnt realize it was as serious as it was. If his back is an issue i think that JPP is done as the dominant player he might have been and that he's destined to be a one year wonder

big blue dog
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I think i remember stray going through the same thing early in his career having trouble with triple and double teams if i remember corectly he was very frustrated.but he learned and ithink LT gave him some words of wisdom

m0rbid1
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Someone else in the D-line has to win one on one battle while JPP is getting abused constantly with double/triple team.......... It was pathetic watching Tuck getting manhandled by a no name O-linemen almost every frickin game.

brad
01-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I think i remember stray going through the same thing early in his career having trouble with triple and double teams if i remember corectly he was very frustrated.but he learned and ithink LT gave him some words of wisdom

Wasn't that the year the Keith Hamilton was hurt most of the year? I think that was a big part of it, but I agree, a big learning experience for him.

RoanokeFan
01-04-2013, 10:45 PM
What was Tucks problem last year he wasnt any good the whole regular season

He was worried about his neck

bearbryant
01-04-2013, 11:17 PM
Many good opinions. I thought his back injury might have given significant cause to his poorperformance. He's been getting extra attention since year one. He been getting chipped and doubled after the second week he won player of the week awards. The one thing no one has mentioned is his weight. He looked a lot heavier to me this year than last. His talent lies in his speed and quickness and both are affected by the weight he carries. I think that he needs to get down to " fighting" weight. Oh, and instead of having Strahan " coach" him, how about his line coach taeches him the things they didn't show him because he took the league by storm as a rookie. A guy like that doesn't get the attention a reguklar rookie does.

appodictic
01-04-2013, 11:18 PM
If I were JPP I would honestly tell Reese to shut the f up. Go talk to strahan to talk about what? How to beat double and tripple teams. Reese basically sits around all the time saying "you can never have enough good pass rushers" yet. this year he found himself without ANY pass rush. So maybe he should go talk to Strahan.

Giantsfan241
01-05-2013, 12:57 AM
jpp need to get off the couch and stop eating oreos he had sophmore slump he needs a kick in the butt maybe strahan will throw his butt in the cold tub now the lazy boy he only had less than 10 sacks it is ridiciolous yes he was double teamed but the best get sacks no matter what look at lt he had sacks when he was triple teamed and they made up a whole new POSITION for lt and people last year were saying "JPP CULD BE BETTER THAN LT" last year jesus people need to wake up n smell the coffee yes jpp is very talented and could be best ever de to play the game but not until he gets hungry again.

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 01:04 AM
jpp need to get off the couch and stop eating oreos he had sophmore slump he needs a kick in the butt maybe strahan will throw his butt in the cold tub now the lazy boy he only had less than 10 sacks it is ridiciolous yes he was double teamed but the best get sacks no matter what look at lt he had sacks when he was triple teamed and they made up a whole new POSITION for lt and people last year were saying "JPP CULD BE BETTER THAN LT" last year jesus people need to wake up n smell the coffee yes jpp is very talented and could be best ever de to play the game but not until he gets hungry again.JPP had a sophomore massacre in 2011. He just couldn't get acclimated to all the attention he warranted this year, but even so, the attention he drew should have been an advantage that other guys, e.g Tuck, Osi, Linval, Canty, Bernard, Kiwi, etc., should have benefitted from.

Giantsfan241
01-05-2013, 01:06 AM
It's because JPP is a small town boy from USF he thought like Cruz he was best ever of all time and his play didn't back up his status.

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 01:09 AM
It's because JPP is a small town boy from USF he thought like Cruz he was best ever of all time and his play didn't back up his status.By attention, I meant by offensive schemes.

Giantsfan241
01-05-2013, 01:13 AM
tell that bs "offensive schemes" stopped him to greats like lt strahan jared allen ware julius peppers or guys like aldon smith jj wat von miller clay matthews

nothing can excuse jpp from the season he had other than his stupid attitude.

giantsfan420
01-05-2013, 01:48 AM
JR isnt saying he wants Strahan to teach JPP technique or anything like that lol. Hes hoping Strahans heart rubs off on JPP, as its gonna take a ton of heart to beat all those double and triple teams. i think JR wants JPP to see the kind of ego/mentality a guy has to have to be the "superstar DE" he kept referring to.

TrickAssP
01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
JPPs attitude should be, "Hey, another double...or triple team! They are sending 3 at me cause I'm the best DE on this team and I need to either beat these guys cause I AM the man OR I have to get dirty and engage these three chumps hard enough so the boys get free lanes in". He has to get that all for one mentality going. That attitude is what made Stray a killer and a HOFer.

big blue dog
01-05-2013, 12:39 PM
after stray had the same type of issues early in his career i noted before LT gave him some advice buthe also spent a lot of time in the gym he came back bigger stronger and quicker and thats all want to .Hopefully JPP has it cause if he doesnt come back physicaly and mentally better it will be a waste of great potential its all there he just has to take it.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM
there is SO much film out there of great DE dealing with double teams and such. If JPP doesnt use that as a resource then shame on him....

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
there is SO much film out there of great DE dealing with double teams and such. If JPP doesnt use that as a resource then shame on him....If his position coach doesn't overload JPP, shame on HIM.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
If his position coach doesn't overload JPP, shame on HIM.

both actually.....all the greats help themselves as much as any coach would.....

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 02:59 PM
both actually.....all the greats help themselves as much as any coach would.....Some need some extra push though, especially the naturally gifted ones.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Some need some extra push though, especially the naturally gifted ones.
agreed.......hope he works his *** off in the off season

gmenfan0488
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
+1

gmenfan0488
01-05-2013, 05:22 PM
and tuck hasn't been the same since he got tripped by Flozell Adams