PDA

View Full Version : So, I think the defense spit the bed for sure when Kuhn went down

NYG 5
01-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I think the run defense was.... pretty good up until Kuhn blew his knee out, then it just sucked against the run after that for good. of course, the defensive line sucked as a whole this year, but i thought DT was going to really step up this year. Kuhn was the lone bright spot.

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 11:09 PM
The guy had 4 tackles on the year, he wasn't exactly the lynchpin of the D-line

NYGisBallin
01-03-2013, 11:11 PM
He would've been a huge help but not the savior. We didn't lose because of him.

Cloud57
01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
The guy had 4 tackles on the year, he wasn't exactly the lynchpin of the D-linecan we please get solid defensive players i'm tired with these no shows

NYG 5
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
The guy had 4 tackles on the year, he wasn't exactly the lynchpin of the D-line

sure, but he's a moose and one of the few guys who got any push this year. watching the dline was like watching a bunch of big dudes hit a brick wall, while the ends played patty cake and tried to run around the tackles.

egyptian420
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM
can we please get solid defensive players i'm tired with these no showsSure, I'll forward the memo to Reese right away!

All jokes aside though, that guy was a 7th round rookie and he was getting snaps because Canty was out at the time and we were extremely thin at the position.

If anyone deserves scrutiny at this point it would have to be Marvin Austin but I still don't think the jury is out on him just yet. Very close though...

Flip Empty
01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
How does one spit a bed?

GameTime
01-04-2013, 12:27 AM
How does one spit a bed?
spit the bed = **** the bed
or
spit the bed= spit the bit........

:)

myles2424
01-04-2013, 12:40 AM
I think the run defense was.... pretty good up until Kuhn blew his knee out, then it just sucked against the run after that for good. of course, the defensive line sucked as a whole this year, but i thought DT was going to really step up this year. Kuhn was the lone bright spot.

Omg we as fans need to be more honest with ourselves......your telling me a 7th round rookie that had 4 tackles was the reason we couldnt stop the run???
Just like when guys tell themselves our LBs are ok because LBs aren't important, or JPP had a down year because he got double teamed....as if watt,wake,Aldon,Von miller,Mathews,Jared Allen,Ware don't too? Right...

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Actually Aldon Smith, Von miller, and Watt were not double teamed much at all. I can go into explanation for each if you would like. I believe JPP attracted more attention than any of them

I did think Kuhn was a pretty good rotational guy. Nothing special. But valuable

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Kuhn was a guy who played in the rotation. That fact that we lost a DT was huge by itself. Canty was hurt all year, Bernard is nothing more than a rotational guy, and Linval is only solid. That's the one unit that we really couldn't afford any more blows.

2009 was very similar with Robbins and Cofield coming off the offseason microfracture surgery, Canty and the hamstring, Alford with blown out knee, and Bernard just sucking.

Oh yeah, and Marvin Austin blows!

moosedrool
01-04-2013, 01:48 AM
There were plenty of plays where JPP had a single blocker and got nowhere. He was clearly not the same player as last year. The back issue he had probably lingered the entire second half.

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 01:53 AM
There were plenty of plays where JPP had a single blocker and got nowhere. He was clearly not the same player as last year. The back issue he had probably lingered the entire second half.

And there were plenty of times he best double teams and got pressure on the QB only for the QB to scramble away and nobody else on the giants could get close.

First cowboys game comes to mind. JPP was dominant the entire game. But it seemed like romo had all sorts of time

moosedrool
01-04-2013, 01:57 AM
And there were plenty of times he best double teams and got pressure on the QB only for the QB to scramble away and nobody else on the giants could get close.

First cowboys game comes to mind. JPP was dominant the entire game. But it seemed like romo had all sorts of time

First game of the year was before he hurt his back. His final sack of the year was in week 9. Seven straight games zero sacks.

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 01:59 AM
First game of the year was before he hurt his back. His final sack of the year was in week 9. Seven straight games zero sacks.

He had gone like 5 or 6 in a row starting last year in the playoffs and into this year without a sack too.

VBGiantsFan
01-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Kuhn, Ojomo, and Tracy are nothing special. All three of those guys are unjustifiably lauded on these boards.

Kuhn was a body who knew the defense. His absence was far from the reason our run defense sucked. Same can be said for the pass rush as it pertains to Tracy and Ojomo.

moosedrool
01-04-2013, 02:01 AM
He had gone like 5 or 6 in a row starting last year in the playoffs and into this year without a sack too.

Not true. I just looked at his stats last year and his longest sackless streak was two games.

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Not true. I just looked at his stats last year and his longest sackless streak was two games.

You're right, what I should have said was starting in the 2011 playoffs, JPP went 9 games with 2 sacks.

A half sack in the playoff run, 1 sack week 2, then another half sack week 3.

dave56dj
01-04-2013, 02:07 AM
JPP was and is a beast who did not see single blockers most of the year. He often pushed 2 guys into the backfield and as he grows he will have to learn to get his sacks while getting chipped. But he certainly wasn't the issue this year but he can be better.

Kuhns first game with any playing time they ran all over blue - guy is nice rotational piece and wonderful find for the 7th round but also not the reason we couldn't stop the run.

moosedrool
01-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Despite the drop off in pass rushing, JPP's run defense was great. Rated #1 in run defense for 4-3 DE's by PFF.

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 02:12 AM
Despite the drop off in pass rushing, JPP's run defense was great. Rated #1 in run defense for 4-3 DE's by PFF.

I dont believe according to them his pass rushing declined much either. His sack numbers were down, but I believe his QB disruptions were around the same, perhaps better.

BROADWAYSTORM
01-04-2013, 02:42 AM
We did not hold up in the middle. Got pushed around. Tuck was surpringly awful against the run too. Canty is the biggest culprit though. He is boom or bust when it comes to gameday. I'd rather get rid of him.

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 08:16 AM
sure, but he's a moose and one of the few guys who got any push this year. watching the dline was like watching a bunch of big dudes hit a brick wall, while the ends played patty cake and tried to run around the tackles. Kuhn can be a rotational guy and i do ,like him but your giving him way to much credit

Redeyejedi
01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
I dont believe according to them his pass rushing declined much either. His sack numbers were down, but I believe his QB disruptions were around the same, perhaps better.Remember when I said to U before the season how I wondered if JPP could come close to duplicating those sack numbers because of how they were attained. Almost all his sacks were effort sacks with the QB holding the ball for 5 seconds.Its not like JPP is beating OTs off the edge like Osi used 2

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Remember when I said to U before the season how I wondered if JPP could come close to duplicating those sack numbers because of how they were attained. Almost all his sacks were effort sacks with the QB holding the ball for 5 seconds.Its not like JPP is beating OTs off the edge like Osi used 2

Like any decent pass rusher, he needs to have a tandem to provide pressure on the other side. Tuck obviously wasn't that this year. Get a decent push from the left side and JPPs sack numbers go up again.

That and JPP looked like he powered down around Week 6 when he realized he was the only one on the team giving a ****. Same can be said of Joseph.

@OP: Kuhn is decent but he's a depth guy who got slotted into the starting lineup. And our run defense didn't all of a sudden collapse when he got injured ... it was piss poor all year.