PDA

View Full Version : Delayed draw.......

FOFORLIFE
01-04-2013, 12:49 AM
......if he neverr

FOFORLIFE
01-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Am I the only person who just gets sick to their stomach seeing these two words?

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Is it still too soon in the wake of tragedy to make shotgun draw jokes? Because I wanted to make one after the Atlanta game (where he ran the play 3 times in a row), but it was like a day after the sandy hook school shooting...

slipknottin
01-04-2013, 01:23 AM
There aren't many different types of running plays from shotgun. Not with a non-mobile QB anyway

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 01:39 AM
There aren't many different types of running plays from shotgun. Not with a non-mobile QB anyway

The point of a shotgun formation is for it to be a passing formation. The draw play is so named because the receivers run routes and "draw" the secondary away from the ball carrier. It's essentially the inverse of play-action. Yet when it's anticipated, it can do little. Because of the number of times we use the shotgun draw play, other teams anticipate it whenever we are in the shotgun.

Of course, the three plays we tend to call in the red zone out of the shotgun are the slot post route, the corner fade, and the draw. With a hobbled nicks, the corner fade has been problematic all year, and because of said hobbling, Cruz is getting a lot more attention making the slot post not a viable option, which means that whenever we go to a shotgun formation, 90% of the time it's going to be a draw... we did attempt the corner fade a couple times with other receivers, and it's really a hit-or-miss proposition. Hixon caught one vs the saints, and Randle did a couple towards the end.

Personally, I think we should stick to power I in the red zone. That plays to the strength of our personnel better, especially on the ground. Hynocerous and Wilson can both run routes out of the backfield pretty well, and Wilson has shown some power despite his stature. Play action would also be an option vs teams that do a lot of man coverage in the red zone.

NYGisBallin
01-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Am I the only person who just gets sick to their stomach seeing these two words?

Actually.. Seeing threads like this make me sick to my stomach.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Draw, delayed draw, draw cut, pitch, waggle, reverse, reverse wishbone, sweep, stretch, direct snap, cut back, double back, power trap, power left, power right, power full, and half back option just to name a few.

And this doesn't include about a half dozen screens you can run from shot gun.

The only thing being under center gives you over shotgun with respect to run plays is velocity hitting the inside gaps and some extra misdirection.

Drez
01-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think we should stick to power I in the red zone. That plays to the strength of our personnel better, especially on the ground. You've obviously never seen our OL block in short yardage situations if you believe this to be true. In fact, the problem starts with the OL's inability to support a power running game in the RZ.

Mercury
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Actually, they weren't too bad when DD was playing heavy TE. We needed DD to stay at heavy TE.

B-Red22
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I cant not tell u how pissed I get every time we run the shot gun draw

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Actually, they weren't too bad when DD was playing heavy TE. We needed DD to stay at heavy TE.

This. I still contend we were way better with Locklear in than Diehl. I just hope that Locklear can recover from that nasty injury, Brewer turns out to be better than advertised, or we draft a RT in round 1.

Whenever you pull a guard, the tackle and TE have to make their blocks as well for it to work properly... Diehl, well, doesn't get it done.

BigBlue wins
01-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Diehl did just fine at jumbo TE.

I hope Locklear returns to form after that injury. Damn that looked incredibly painful.

bigblue58
01-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Is it still too soon in the wake of tragedy to make shotgun draw jokes? Because I wanted to make one after the Atlanta game (where he ran the play 3 times in a row), but it was like a day after the sandy hook school shooting...

The coward in the Sandy Hook shooting didn't use a shotgun, and I don't think anyone would have made a connection anyway. Give people credit for understanding that in a football forum they would have kept the joke in a football perspective.
You weren't making a Sandy Hook reference, you were making a football joke.....people know the difference.

As for the delayed draw play itself, how many times does a play have to fail as often as this one did, for you to take the damned thing out of the playbook?
Not to mention the criminally negligent way they always seemed to run it in third and forever situations for 2 yards or no gain!
The fastest road to a punt is the delayed draw, especially the way the Giants utilize it.