PDA

View Full Version : Stray's sack record

sheepdip
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Man why do ppl have to talk about his record being tainted ? Because Farve and him were friends ???

I saw the play and it was a naked boot and he pretty much gave up as he would have been sacked anyways.

If you watched the games leading up to that moment when he did beat the record you would notice there were at least 3 or 4 sacks down the stretch that were just missed or taken away from penalty or whatever. I remember saying he could have had more and it bothers me that ppl refer to this as tainted.
Heck even if the Farve sack they question he still ended up with 21.5 then, hard to complain.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Because it was said that Favre set it up for him.

If you notice, Strahan isn't even touched by the RT and the game was out of hand (Greenbay ran away with it).

I was ok with it though ... he was a monster during the rest of that season (as he was his entire career). Even if he did make a habit of stat gathering when it didn't mean much to the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2W62HNNsc

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2W62HNNsc)

sheepdip
01-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Sometimes lineman allow the DE to move in upfield to catch him rushing in as they roll out.
I cant see the youtube clip at work. Do you not see Osi be allowed in a lot so they can run right by him or allow him inside so that they can go out.

I would have to examine the play at home.

TheAnalyst
01-04-2013, 10:12 AM
It was set up. Favre and Stray are good friends. But I dont really care. Its Strahan's sack record. Tough nuggies.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Sometimes lineman allow the DE to move in upfield to catch him rushing in as they roll out.
I cant see the youtube clip at work. Do you not see Osi be allowed in a lot so they can run right by him or allow him inside so that they can go out.

I would have to examine the play at home.

Yes I know the design. That's to allow the QB to step up in the pocket (or to run a draw or throw a screen).

In this case, Favre rolled out to the strong side right into Strahan. If it was designed, it was literally the worse designed offensive play ... ever.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
It was set up. Favre and Stray are good friends. But I dont really care. Its Strahan's sack record. Tough nuggies.

That and I wasn't a huge Gastineau fan.

***** whipped by out of the NFL by a hack of an actress .... pffffft.

ryan12
01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
he did have a ton of sacks taken back by penalty that year which is why i think favre let him get record. anyway it doesnt matter its his record period

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Man why do ppl have to talk about his record being tainted ? Because Farve and him were friends ???

I saw the play and it was a naked boot and he pretty much gave up as he would have been sacked anyways.

If you watched the games leading up to that moment when he did beat the record you would notice there were at least 3 or 4 sacks down the stretch that were just missed or taken away from penalty or whatever. I remember saying he could have had more and it bothers me that ppl refer to this as tainted.
Heck even if the Farve sack they question he still ended up with 21.5 then, hard to complain.
It was a sham and the record is definitely tainted.
The Packers were way ahead and were running the ball to run out the clock. This was a pure set up to get a record. To see this any other way is the take rationalization to a new level.
Records mean nothing if they aren't attained in the course of legitimate football. This was as iligitimate as anything I've ever seen.

Love Strahan and think he was a great player, but this was an insult to the intelligence of all football fans, and Its embarrassing to Giants fans.

ny06
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
It was a sham and the record is definitely tainted.
The Packers were way ahead and were running the ball to run out the clock. This was a pure set up to get a record. To see this any other way is the take rationalization to a new level.
Records mean nothing if they aren't attained in the course of legitimate football. This was as iligitimate as anything I've ever seen.

Love Strahan and think he was a great player, but this was an insult to the intelligence of all football fans, and Its embarrassing to Giants fans.
I think it's a sham that Gastineau had to use steroids to accomplish his stats and record breaking season of sacks.

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
I think it's a sham that Gastineau had to use steroids to accomplish his stats and record breaking season of sacks.
That's fine. This isn't about Mark Gastineau. Its about breaking a record with a fixed play.
Last year Jared Allen missed by 1/2 sack. As far as I'm concerned, he has the NFL single season sack record. And he didn't rig a play at the end to break the record iligitimately, like Strahan and Favre did.

Oh and BTW...its a good thing he juiced (if he did) because it helped us get into the playoffs when they beat GB for us week 16, 1981.

ny06
01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
That's fine. This isn't about Mark Gastineau. Its about breaking a record with a fixed play.
Last year Jared Allen missed by 1/2 sack. As far as I'm concerned, he has the NFL single season sack record. And he didn't rig a play at the end to break the record iligitimately, like Strahan and Favre did.

Oh and BTW...its a good thing he juiced (if he did) because it helped us get into the playoffs when they beat GB for us week 16, 1981.
But it is about Gastineau, it was his record that was broken. My point about steroids is he had an advantage over other players who weren't using, hence why his stats are tainted by performance enhanced drugs.

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
But it is about Gastineau, it was his record that was broken. My point about steroids is he had an advantage over other players who weren't using, hence why his stats are tainted by performance enhanced drugs.
Come on. The O linemen he was playing against were also juicing. EVERYBODY juiced back then. And anyway..who gives a ****. Its the principle. Or is it your view that Strahan and Farve were just fixing it for the love of a game to get your villain, Gastineau off the record book?

But what about Jared Allen? Should he have rigged it last year to get the record? Is that OK with you? Weren't his 22 sacks legitimate? Or do you have some other BS excuse for him last year?
Or should all records in sports be gotten through legitimate play on the filed in attempts to win games?

njg85m
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Come on. The O linemen he was playing against were also juicing. EVERYBODY juiced back then. And anyway..who gives a ****. Its the principle. Or is it your view that Strahan and Farve were just fixing it for the love of a game to get your villain, Gastineau off the record book?

But what about Jared Allen? Should he have rigged it last year to get the record? Is that OK with you? Weren't his 22 sacks legitimate? Or do you have some other BS excuse for him last year?
Or should all records in sports be gotten through legitimate play on the filed in attempts to win games?

I agree with nearly everything you have said so far on this thread.

But you do lose quite a bit of credibility when you revert to the "EVERYBODY WAS DOING IT" excuse to argue against his point about Gastineau.

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I agree with nearly everything you have said so far on this thread.

But you do lose quite a bit of credibility when you revert to the "EVERYBODY WAS DOING IT" excuse to argue against his point about Gastineau.
Well put it this way, word is that the entire Pittsburgh defense was juicing in the 70's. It wasn't against the rules. Its just what people did. The reality is that today players are bigger and stronger because of modern training and suppliments. So its really a moot point. Since early on, players have been seeking any advantage they can get away with. Its human nature 101. I'm not going to get all pissy about it. If we did, everything anybody ever did on any field would come in question. Athletes have been popping pills and getting shot up, legit or not forever.

ny06
01-04-2013, 11:29 AM

Saying everyone was juicing is ridiculous, if you want to say many players in that era were then I would agree. So are you saying Favre and Strahan secretly spoke to each other during a tv timeout and made the plan to have a gimme sack? Come on... Favre gave it to him from what we see on tv, but let's not jump the gun and act like Strahan asked for the favor. Will you feel better if I buy you a Jared Allen jersey enclosed with a laminated letter written in crayon for the official sack record?

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Saying everyone was juicing is ridiculous, if you want to say many players in that era were then I would agree. So are you saying Favre and Strahan secretly spoke to each other during a tv timeout and made the plan to have a gimme sack? Come on... Favre gave it to him from what we see on tv, but let's not jump the gun and act like Strahan asked for the favor. Will you feel better if I buy you a Jared Allen jersey enclosed with a laminated letter written in crayon for the official sack record?

All I'm saying is that sack was ilegit. I have no idea what went on beforehand. I don't know if they talked the night before or if it was just a wink before the snap. No one knows.
What we do know is that it was a staged play to set a record and had no other purpose.

ryan12
01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
cant we all just get along morehead congrats on whooping me in championship game

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 11:58 AM
cant we all just get along morehead congrats on whooping me in championship game
We get along fine and thanks.

My only point without getting off on the sidebar about steroid use in the 70's and 80's (which has NOTHING to do with this discussion) is that getting a record that is staged for the only purpose of getting that record is a sham.
Records are legitimate when they are achieved when the other team and its players are trying to beat you on every play. They count when its in the environment of competition.
If they aren't...it means as much as a WWF championship belt.
So for the OP to take the position he is taking, is ridiculous.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Now you just tainted the 1981 playoffs for me.

Thanks a lot.

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 12:01 PM
Now you just tainted the 1981 playoffs for me.

Thanks a lot.
My gift to you.
But actually it was NY06 who did that. I'm as shocked as you to hear that Gastineau was on steroids.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 12:05 PM
My gift to you.
But actually it was NY06 who did that. I'm as shocked as you to hear that Gastineau was on steroids.

I'd be shocked to hear that he's off steroids.

Morehead State
01-04-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd be shocked to hear that he's off steroids.
It was meant to be sarcastic.

Kruunch
01-04-2013, 12:27 PM
It was meant to be sarcastic.

And mine was meant to be ironical.

Diamondring
01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
I think it's a sham that Gastineau had to use steroids to accomplish his stats and record breaking season of sacks.He maybe went against others who taked steriods as well so everything is even.