PDA

View Full Version : The importance of the schedule

danielboone
01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
In a league with such strong forces towards balance among teams such as the draft, every detail can make the difference between winning and losing. This year the Giants had one of the league's roughest (if not the roughest) schedule. They played seven games against 2012 playoff teams, six games against second tier teams and only three games against teams that were in the lower third tier. Fortunately next year the schedule looks like it will be easier. They will play six games against 2012 playoff teams, five games against second tier teams and five games against third tier. I know some people here think the Giants play badly against bad teams and play well against good teams but that is not borne out by the statistics. This year they only won 43% of the games against playoff teams and they won a much more respectable 67% against second tier and third tier teams.

Mercury
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
If you can beat the good teams on your schedule, that gives your players a lot of confidence, and potentially momentum going into the playoffs. But you have to beat the teams you are supposed to in order to make the playoffs in the first place.

egyptian420
01-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Teams change every year, I doubt many people at this time last year were looking at our schedule and saying SF and GB will be wins but we'll lose to the Bengals and struggle vs the Bucs.

Some of the easiest looking games on our schedule right now could be the hardest games next year and vice versa.

Drez
01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Even with as tough as our sked was this year, if I told you that we would crush SF, GB, and NO would you think that we would have missed the playoffs?

egyptian420
01-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Even with as tough as our sked was this year, if I told you that we would crush SF, GB, and NO would you think that we would have missed the playoffs?NO....forgot to mention them. That's why I never rate the 'strength' of our schedule....you just never know. And you never know how we will look like either.

Drez
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
NO....forgot to mention them. That's why I never rate the 'strength' of our schedule....you just never know. And you never know how we will look like either.
All that being said, I have faith that so long as the team comes out in their right minds we can beat anyone in the NFL. Now the problem is, how often are they going to come out in their right minds, lol.

BuffyBlueII
01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Too much emphasis is put on the schedule. The teams are the teams and the schedule is the schedule. We have to win games and step up when we need to regardless of who it is. The most important part of the schedule is our games against team in our division and the losses there really hurt us this season.

BROADWAYSTORM
01-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I think the problem the last two seasons is we don't get the good teams sprinkled in. We get them back to back to back to back plus we always struggle in division games whether we win or lose them. So that makes injuries and things like that much more important. I wish I could say that I wish I was in the AFC South or the AFC East but the truth is it isn't easy in any division.

Parademon
01-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Bull! The AFCE is IMO, the weakest division outside of NE & that's why they win that division on an almost yearly basis since Brady became the starter 11 yrs ago. AFC South is a close second. Colts also were the dominant team there almost as long as NE is in the AFCE.

Giants just have to at least sweep one of their division rivals & split with the other 2 for a 4-2 division record. 3-3 or worse & you can kiss the playoffs goodbye. NE & the Peyton led Colts always won their respective divsions due to always winning 4-5 or even all their division games.

NYG 5
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
the giants schedule wasn't that hard this year. the eagles sucked. the afc north declined, and is still a good overall division, but lacks any dominant teams the way they used to. the saints, bucs, and panthers sucked this year. dallas was average. washington was good.

there were like 10 certainly winnable games, and the rest were top tier teams. the giants have no one to blame but themselves for totally sucking *** all season

Giantsfan241
01-05-2013, 01:08 AM
you never know with the giants.. can be 8-8 or 10-6... lol.