PDA

View Full Version : Reese thinks Wilson can be "Lead Dog"

BigBlueOnes
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121910/article/new-york-giants-see-david-wilson-as-future-lead-dog

We kind of knew this already.

sheepdip
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Well lets hope he learns to block or he will never be a lead back.
From what I saw he didnt do very good at times but he has an entire off season to work on this.

Very exciting player thou.

22for25
01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
He's young, the blocking will come. He has natural ability to run and catch, plus he does backflips.

Diamondring
01-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I know different types of offense and realize that all backs don't have to be good blockers inorder to start long as you have a te of fb who can.

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 05:08 PM
We should go find BJ and let him spend a couple days with Wilson... now there's a guy who linebackers were afraid to blitz against (at least when BJ was in his prime)

BlueBlooded1979
01-04-2013, 05:19 PM
This is the NFL in 2012. If you can't block you can't play RB. Reese is going to keep talking about this guy but the fact is that guys like Derek Wolfe and Bobby Wagner were still on the board at that time and he reached for a scat back that can't block.

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I want to give him at least one more season before declaring off the mountaintop that he absolutely can't block. He was pretty much thrown into the fire after Brown got hurt. He put in a lot of extra work with Hynoski learning the blocking assignments, and even though he didn't really have much power in blocking thus far, from the falcons game onwards he never truly missed an assignment or have any big whiffs. Bradshaw has had more whif***e and missed assignments in the past few games than Wilson...

tl;dr: there is definite upside here.

I still think if we invest heavily in the O-line, he can be sent on more routes out of the backfield and on play action, where he would be more effective in the passing game.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 08:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121910/article/new-york-giants-see-david-wilson-as-future-lead-dog

We kind of knew this already.

I wish our offensive coordinator shared that view.

As for pass-blocking.....I'm not going to downplay it's importance, but some of the best running backs in the league are not very good pass blockers.... Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and LaDanian Tomlinson come to mind.

Gilbride failed to utilize Wilson to the best of his abilities, just as Fewell failed to fit his scheme to the players....... both were major reasons why the Giants failed to make the playoffs.

Sean Montemayor
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
How to describe David Wilson in one word: EPIC.

CDN_G-FAN
01-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Well lets hope he learns to block or he will never be a lead back.
From what I saw he didnt do very good at times but he has an entire off season to work on this.

Very exciting player thou.

+1

same.

glad his training dummy was eli in non-contact practices or Carr, and not eli in real games.

NorwoodBlue
01-04-2013, 10:07 PM
His blocking was no worse than Bradshaw's in the latae season. Bradshaw was totally missing blocks, hardly even making any contact at all at times.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 10:10 PM
His blocking was no worse than Bradshaw's in the latae season. Bradshaw was totally missing blocks, hardly even making any contact at all at times.

Gilbride's job handling the running attack in the 2nd half of the season is one of the reasons the Giants are on the outside looking in.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I want to give him at least one more season before declaring off the mountaintop that he absolutely can't block. He was pretty much thrown into the fire after Brown got hurt. He put in a lot of extra work with Hynoski learning the blocking assignments, and even though he didn't really have much power in blocking thus far, from the falcons game onwards he never truly missed an assignment or have any big whiffs. Bradshaw has had more whif***e and missed assignments in the past few games than Wilson...

I still think if we invest heavily in the O-line, he can be sent on more routes out of the backfield and on play action, where he would be more effective in the passing game.

Someone else made a great point a while back.....if the defense is showing blitz, the Giants should have flanked Wilson out and made the blitzer account for Wilson as a receiver.

But God forbid Gilbride ever deviate from his brilliant gameplan.

appodictic
01-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Then in two years after a sub 1000 yard season running behind DD he will likely tell him to go "Talk to tiki" so he can learn how be a star despite how bad other giants personel is, like he just did with JPP

TheShouldersOf
01-05-2013, 12:43 AM
I wish our offensive coordinator shared that view.

As for pass-blocking.....I'm not going to downplay it's importance, but some of the best running backs in the league are not very good pass blockers.... Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and LaDanian Tomlinson come to mind.

Gilbride failed to utilize Wilson to the best of his abilities, just as Fewell failed to fit his scheme to the players....... both were major reasons why the Giants failed to make the playoffs.

Concur

appodictic
01-05-2013, 12:45 AM
Gilbride's job handling the running attack in the 2nd half of the season is one of the reasons the Giants are on the outside looking in. Gilbride has no sense. In the final game of the season Bradshaw catches a 40 yard pass. Where was that all year? Like hey news flash you can throw to RB besides screens.

appodictic
01-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Gilbride's job handling the running attack in the 2nd half of the season is one of the reasons the Giants are on the outside looking in. Just our of curiosity the gaints rushed for 104 yards against the redskins, so how does our rushing explain that loss.

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Just our of curiosity the gaints rushed for 104 yards against the redskins, so how does our rushing explain that loss.Because we didn't go for it on 4th and long when we:

1. Were deep in our territory
2. Down by only one point
3. Just on the last drive made a stand on defense
4. Still had a comfortable amount of time left

That is what is dictated as poor coaching on here.

gabriel_1
01-05-2013, 03:05 AM
The Giants should be changing carries between Andre and David. With Bradshaw talking like he won't be back for another season David will be a great change of paste for the Giants. I think he will fir very well with Andre, because he can run in the middle and whenever we want to explore the edges we can utilize David. He will develop, remember Prince? He was good what so ever in his first season, even though he was injured most of it, but now he is a TOP 10 corner.

OX1
01-05-2013, 06:35 AM
I know different types of offense and realize that all backs don't have to be good blockers inorder to start long as you have a te of fb who can.

Or an O-line that can for that matter..................

OX1
01-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Gilbride has no sense. In the final game of the season Bradshaw catches a 40 yard pass. Where was that all year? Like hey news flash you can throw to RB besides screens.

When did this offense even throw screens to RB's, besides when Eli was under complete distress
and had no other option, and then it usually failed miserably.

GMAN2K9
01-05-2013, 12:27 PM
When did this offense even throw screens to RB's, besides when Eli was under complete distress
and had no other option, and then it usually failed miserably.

For the life of me, I dont know why we stink so badly with screens. Is it Eli? Our O line? Lack of practice of it?

Wilson & Brown have good hands to run, Bradshaw could pull it off too

Cloud57
01-05-2013, 01:34 PM
one thing I don't like about wilson is that when he tries to run up the middle he gains no yards and even loses some. If he becomes the starter we may have many 3rd and longs once again. He's still young and I think if he puts on a little more muscle he can be a more effective down the middle runner.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 02:27 PM
he'll be fine next season. He will have the blocking schemes down pat and will excell as a 3 down back for sure

RoanokeFan
01-05-2013, 02:31 PM

If we had the Oline that included O'Hara, McKenzie, and Seubert, I think Wilson would have been more successful as his blocking skills would not have been AS MUCH of an issue.

RoanokeFan
01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
he'll be fine next season. He will have the blocking schemes down pat and will excel as a 3 down back for sure

I tend to agree, but I think Bradshaw is in jeopardy. If Brown recovers completely from the broken fibula I could see Brown and Wilson as the tandem with Scott or someone else as the 3rd down guy. I don't think Bradshaw would accept a 3rd down role but that remains to be seen.

I see both Wilson and Randle taking on more of the load next season.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 02:45 PM
I tend to agree, but I think Bradshaw is in jeopardy. If Brown recovers completely from the broken fibula I could see Brown and Wilson as the tandem with Scott or someone else as the 3rd down guy. I don't think Bradshaw would accept a 3rd down role but that remains to be seen.

I see both Wilson and Randle taking on more of the load next season.

Bradshaw is damaged. Dont how he will fair next season. IMO the injuries or the condition of his feet/ankles are not something that will heal so to speak.
Love the guy but I think his playing days are coming to an end.....