PDA

View Full Version : Re-sign Lawrence Tynes?

Sean Montemayor
01-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes or no?

Flip Empty
01-04-2013, 09:02 PM
In lieu of a quality replacement - yes. He's reliable.

If only Blair Walshes would just fall out of the sky...

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 09:06 PM
No.

The Giants can do better....Tynes is one of the reasons why the Giants missed the playoffs this season.

The dude can't hit from outside 49 yards.....and it killed us in that loss to Philly.

Considering late season conditions in the Meadowlands, the Giants should logically have one of the strongest kickers in the league....instead, Tynes has one of the weakest legs in the NFL.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 09:08 PM
I plan on the Giants to be in many high pressure situations, so I wanted a kicker with no nerves. Tynes is probably a top 5 clutch kicker in the league.

fizzlesticks
01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
No.

The Giants can do better....Tynes is one of the reasons why the Giants missed the playoffs this season.

The dude can't hit from outside 49 yards.....and it killed us in that loss to Philly.

Considering late season conditions in the Meadowlands, the Giants should logically have one of the strongest kickers in the league....instead, Tynes has one of the weakest legs in the NFL.

You're right, it's 100% his fault Barden decided to rape someone on the field.

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 09:11 PM

And it's 100% the fault of either of them that Eli had a senior moment and thought Nicks was wearing #13...

zimonami
01-04-2013, 09:18 PM
No.

Tynes must work hard... which is a trait that TC loves.
He has gradually increased his kick-off distance. It was poor just 3 years ago, and has improved markedly.
He has been very accurate, despite the misses at the end of the year, which we all always remember.
He has proven that he can make a clutch FG in bad weather.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

jomo
01-04-2013, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=zimonami;652716]Tynes must work hard... which is a trait that TC loves.
He has gradually increased his kick-off distance. It was poor just 3 years ago, and has improved markedly.
He has been very accurate, despite the misses at the end of the year, which we all always remember.
He has proven that he can make a clutch FG in bad weather.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.[/QUOTEI'm happy to keep him. The price just has to be right. Not a fan of taking big chances with kickers. Look at what if got us with Dodge.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 09:35 PM

I'm not going to fault Tynes for that dopey playcall by Gilbride and Eli.

But the fact is, he missed a kick that most NFL kickers can make. Weak *** mother ****er couldn't even clear the cross bar.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 09:37 PM
He has gradually increased his kick-off distance. It was poor just 3 years ago, and has improved markedly.We also kick off at the 35 now.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 09:40 PM
We also kick off at the 35 now.

I think that was the biggest improvement in Tynes' game.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
I think that was the biggest improvement in Tynes' game.You really don't seem to be a fan of his. The guy is money in the clutch, and you certainly can't fault him for missing a high pressured mid-50 yard kick. That's an incredibly difficult to make under any circumstances.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 09:48 PM
You really don't seem to be a fan of his. The guy is money in the clutch, and you certainly can't fault him for missing a high pressured mid-50 yard kick. That's an incredibly difficult to make under any circumstances.

No, I'm really not a fan of his.

I just think an NFL kicker should be physically capable of attempting a 50+ yard kick, just like a MLB pitcher should be able to break 90 mph with a fastball.

And considering the weather he needs to play in, it's even more important that he has a strong leg....which, sadly, he does not.

I'm not saying he sucks....I'm saying the Giants could do better.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM

I just think an NFL kicker should be physically capable of attempting a 50+ yard kick, just like a MLB pitcher should be able to break 90 mph with a fastball.

And considering the weather he needs to play in, it's even more important that he has a strong leg....which, sadly, he does not.

I'm not saying he sucks....I'm saying the Giants could do better.He's made 11 FGs over 50 yards in his career, including one this year.

mercurio
01-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Keep him. He did a great job! No kicker is perfect.

zimonami
01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
We also kick off at the 35 now.
I considered that.
From the 30 he regularly kicked it down to the 3-4 yard line.
Now he often kicks it to 5 yards deep in the end zone.
I'm sure if we had a stat that followed that KO distance, we'd find that he kicks the ball 4-6 yards, on average, deeper than he did 3 years ago.

bearbryant
01-04-2013, 10:59 PM
Yes. So tell me, if the rest of the team performed at the same level he did this year, are we watching the redskins this week end? Unless something a lot better comes along for the right $$$ you go with the Scotchman!

TextureDj
01-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Yes. So tell me, if the rest of the team performed at the same level he did this year, are we watching the redskins this week end? Unless something a lot better comes along for the right $$$ you go with the Scotchman!QFT /thread

Antwuan
01-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Yes!

He has sent us into 2 Superbowls. Keep Him!

nhpgiantsfan
01-05-2013, 06:12 AM

But the fact is, he missed a kick that most NFL kickers can make. Weak *** mother ****er couldn't even clear the cross bar.

You're not paying attention if you think most NFL kickers would hit that 54 yarder at the end of the game in Philly. I am not a numbers guy but I am sure someone here can research the percentages on that kick. I bet that kick gets missed by NFL kickers more than 60% of the time.

M00KIE
01-05-2013, 06:19 AM

I'm not saying he sucks....I'm saying the Giants could do better.

How do you know that? We could easily end up with a Matt Dodge kicker, then what? If someone substantially better is available, ok...But who is that guy exactly? Shoot a name out with that proclamation.

Rat_bastich
01-05-2013, 06:53 AM
It took us a long while to find Tynes. Keep the guy, he is the best thing out there at this point and he has been pretty consistent. Not every kicker is going to make all the kicks.

Flip Empty
01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
I am sure someone here can research the percentages on that kick. I bet that kick gets missed by NFL kickers more than 60% of the time.
Yeah, that looks about right, although there were a handful who kicked 100% from 50+:

Blair Walsh: 10/10
Phil Dawson: 7/7
Matt Bryant and Justin Tucker: 4/4

Tynes' 1/3 is near the bottom, percentage-wise. He's deadly from any range shorter, though.

EnragedYouth85
01-05-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm happy with Tynes, as long as we don't overpay.. keep him! 50+ yarders are iffy by most kickers. Obviously there are a few that are really good at 50+ but not a lot. He's money under 45 yards and I'm okay with that. A team shouldn't have to depend on 50+ yard FG's to win games anyways..

Flip Empty
01-05-2013, 07:09 AM
A team shouldn't have to depend on 50+ yard FG's to win games anyways..
Exactly. I consider a 50+ yard field goal miss to be more of an indictment on that team's offense rather than its kicker.

Teams with the most attempts from that far out were Minnesota, St Louis, Cleveland and Oakland, among others. Hardly offensive powerhouses.

EnragedYouth85
01-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Exactly. I consider a 50+ yard field goal miss to be more of an indictment on that team's offense, not its kicker. The teams with the most attempts from that far out were Minnesota, St Louis, Cleveland and Oakland, among others. Hardly offensive powerhouses.

Yup, teams with the best kickers tend to be teams that don't score a lot of TDs. Looks like most of those teams.. lol

bill2000
01-05-2013, 07:47 AM
San Francisco 2012. Keep him, he is a clutch kicker.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 09:54 AM

he also kept them in games they would have other wise lost.....

Sarcasman
01-05-2013, 10:31 AM
In my opinion what you want from a kicker is a certain level of consistency. I think he brings that. I don't have a big issue with his struggles at 50+ yards. Very few kickers hit those consistently and if you are going to base your kicker choice on that then spend the money on improving your offense instead.

EnragedYouth85
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM
In my opinion what you want from a kicker is a certain level of consistency. I think he brings that. I don't have a big issue with his struggles at 50+ yards. Very few kickers hit those consistently and if you are going to base your kicker choice on that then spend the money on improving your offense instead.

Totally agree, he is a very consistant kicker.. I'd rather have him then Jay Feely..

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Totally agree, he is a very consistant kicker.. I'd rather have him then Jay Feely..Hits a 61 yard game tying FG, then missed like a 38 yard kick for the win. Unbelievable.

I had a poster name this clown in a list of kickers "he'd take over Tynes."

big blue dog
01-05-2013, 12:52 PM
i say keep maybe he do some extra work to get his leg strength up if 3-5 more yards out of his leg that would be even better.

Sarcasman
01-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Hits a 61 yard game tying FG, then missed like a 38 yard kick for the win. Unbelievable.

I had a poster name this clown in a list of kickers "he'd take over Tynes."

Exactly. And that's exactly what I don't want from my kicker.

giants_rock
01-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Worst field goal percentage in the division under 50 yards in 2012:
Lawrence Tynes:
<50 - 32/36 - 89%
50+ - 1/3 - 33%
Dan Bailey:
<50 - 26/26 - 100%
>50 - 3/5 - 60%
Kai Forbath
<50 - 16/17 - 94%
50+ - 1/1 - 100%
Alex Henry:
<50 - 27/30 - 90%
50+ - 0/1 - 0%
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players

Die-Hard
01-05-2013, 01:12 PM
I dont trust him, and I never have. The guy just inexplicably misses what are basically chip shots sometimes, and I even recall him missing a couple of XP's along the way. This season alone, didn't he miss from 26-ish? Even I could have kicked that damn thing through.

Cant hang your hat on what he did in those past games. While I'll always be grateful for those winning kicks, the Giants can certainly do better

sg92
01-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Tynes is average at best. But if there were lots of great kickers waiting in the wings, Mason Crosby and David Akers wouldn't have jobs.

Crosby hit 71% from 30-39 yards this year, and the Packers repeatedly passed up FG attempts that would be automatic for most teams because they didn't trust him. Despite that, they didn't cut him. Akers was equally bad, but they guy they just picked up to challenge him, Billy Cundiff, was cut from 2 or 3 teams this year!

The Giants should try to give Tynes some competition in camp next year, but he's far from the biggest problem with this team.

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Lawrence Tynes:
<50 - 32/36 - 89%
50+ - 1/3 - 33%
Dan Bailey:
<50 - 26/26 - 100%
>50 - 3/5 - 60%
Kai Forbath
<50 - 16/17 - 94%
50+ - 1/1 - 100%
Alex Henry:
<50 - 27/30 - 90%
50+ - 0/1 - 0%
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playersHe had to kick 36 freaking FGs under fifty yards. Henery was the next closest with 30 attempts, and only beat him by 1%!

KillaRich
01-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Come man because of 50+ yard misses? I used be a BIG time Tynes hater.... but he has gotten better ... He got a little iffy at the end.... maybe it was fatigue .... ih he isnt expensive hes a keeper

M00KIE
01-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Lawrence Tynes:
<50 - 32/36 - 89%
50+ - 1/3 - 33%
Dan Bailey:
<50 - 26/26 - 100%
>50 - 3/5 - 60%
Kai Forbath
<50 - 16/17 - 94%
50+ - 1/1 - 100%
Alex Henry:
<50 - 27/30 - 90%
50+ - 0/1 - 0%

This means nothing. Kicking is far too situational to just throw some % stats to validate your point and <50 is pretty vague.

gmen46
01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I dont trust him, and I never have. The guy just inexplicably misses what are basically chip shots sometimes, and I even recall him missing a couple of XP's along the way. This season alone, didn't he miss from 26-ish? Even I could have kicked that damn thing through.

Cant hang your hat on what he did in those past games. While I'll always be grateful for those winning kicks, the Giants can certainly do better

Tynes has not missed an extra point attempt since 2007. Four + consecutive seasons with no missed extra point attempts (he missed most of 2008). He may have set a Giants record with extra points made vs attempted, although I cannot find verification right now. I thought Michael Eisen made that point in one of his "Inside the numbers" post game articles last year.

He was 100% (11 of 11) in attempts/made FGs under 30 yards this year. He made 14 of 16 attempts at 30-39 yards (and he made 7 of 9 attempts from 40-49 yeards). So, no, Tynes has not "inexplicably" missed "what are basically chip shots sometimes".

And if you are referring to attempts made from 30 yards and beyond as "chip shots", you might want to ask a pro place kicker if that's the case.

It's certainly your perogative to dislike a player, but please don't make up nonexistent "stats" to justify your dislike.

G-Men Surg.
01-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Yes!

He has sent us into 2 Superbowls. Keep Him!

This !!!!!

NWKEffectElement
01-05-2013, 09:17 PM
No

NWKEffectElement
01-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Lawrence Tynes:
<50 - 32/36 - 89%
50+ - 1/3 - 33%
Dan Bailey:
<50 - 26/26 - 100%
>50 - 3/5 - 60%
Kai Forbath
<50 - 16/17 - 94%
50+ - 1/1 - 100%
Alex Henry:
<50 - 27/30 - 90%
50+ - 0/1 - 0%

Very telling

Giants5699
01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Tynes is a reliable kicker with the game on the line. Nobody can kick 56 yards against the wind in the rain.

Sovereign
01-05-2013, 10:16 PM
I plan on the Giants to be in many high pressure situations, so I wanted a kicker with no nerves. Tynes is probably a top 5 clutch kicker in the league.

Clutch? The guy made one easy FG in perfect conditions in SF. In Lambeau he missed 2 before he made the game winner in 2007. We can do better.

Tynes is a reliable kicker with the game on the line. Nobody can kick 56 yards against the wind in the rain.

His career long is like 52.....

gmen0820
01-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Clutch? The guy made one easy FG in perfect conditions in SF. In Lambeau he missed 2 before he made the game winner in 2007. We can do better.Who?

GameTime
01-05-2013, 10:22 PM
the only consistent part of the Giant this year was the kicking/punting game.
With the "real" issues the team has do we need to harp on Tynes????

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 12:54 AM
How do you know that? We could easily end up with a Matt Dodge kicker, then what? If someone substantially better is available, ok...But who is that guy exactly? Shoot a name out with that proclamation.

Every year guys come out of college.....a good example this year was Blair Walsh of the Vikings. I haven't checked the draft reports for 2013, but I'd imagine there are other guys out there that can nail long FGs.

Tynes is consistent....inside 40 yards. Whoopee.

It's a moot point, really......the Giants will keep Tynes, and we'll keep punting from the opponent's 35 because Tynes can't kick a long field goal.

Rat_bastich
01-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Very telling

The only thing that tells is that Tynes has had more kicks under 50 yards than the others and only Dan Bailey has had more over 50 yards and that we're not getting touchdowns when we are under 50 yards...instead settling for kicks.

Out of Exile
01-06-2013, 04:12 AM
Tynes has not missed an extra point attempt since 2007. Four + consecutive seasons with no missed extra point attempts (he missed most of 2008). He may have set a Giants record with extra points made vs attempted, although I cannot find verification right now. I thought Michael Eisen made that point in one of his "Inside the numbers" post game articles last year.

He was 100% (11 of 11) in attempts/made FGs under 30 yards this year. He made 14 of 16 attempts at 30-39 yards (and he made 7 of 9 attempts from 40-49 yeards). So, no, Tynes has not "inexplicably" missed "what are basically chip shots sometimes".

And if you are referring to attempts made from 30 yards and beyond as "chip shots", you might want to ask a pro place kicker if that's the case.

It's certainly your perogative to dislike a player, but please don't make up nonexistent "stats" to justify your dislike.

You just pwned that dude. Bet he doesn't even reply.

Sovereign
01-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Who?

I think there's a thing in place where you can select players on college teams. I'll check back to see what it is.

Die-Hard
01-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Ahh, there he is. My biggest fan. I've missed you and your erudite thrashings! I just haven't felt right without them

"Sometimes", the last time I checked, does not neccessarily denote THIS season. In years past, I recall him missing some kicks that, based on their pay grades and skill levels, would have been considered chip shots that very few NFL kickers would have missed, and in less than prime conditions. Since you are so fond of pin point grammatical accuracy, calling them "chip shots", I suppose, was too much for you to handle. Sorry about the misnomer.

What I do know is that even after all of these years, I still break into a sweat whenever Tynes is called upon. You can bring all of the stats your little heart can handle, but it still wont change the fact that, in his career, he has not always been so reliable. I dont expect perfection, and he has been relatively consistent in recent years, but he will never sit well with me. If I were so inclined, and if I gave a damn about stats even a little bit, I'd use them. Stats are for losers. I watch the games and form my opinions by what I see on the field, and what I've seen from Tynes overall convinces me that the Giants can do better, and for likely less of a cap hit.

Say hi to the family, and dont be such a stranger!

Die-Hard
01-06-2013, 08:27 AM
You just pwned that dude. Bet he doesn't even reply.

I've been "pwned"? Oh, the humanity! LOL

How much did you lose?

Redeyejedi
01-06-2013, 09:02 AM
What if we draft a kicker and get Matt Dodge in kicker form

Redeyejedi
01-06-2013, 09:04 AM
The 1 against the Falcons really hurt. it was so deflating

Redeyejedi
01-06-2013, 09:11 AM
How do you know that? We could easily end up with a Matt Dodge kicker, then what? If someone substantially better is available, ok...But who is that guy exactly? Shoot a name out with that proclamation.There are 2 Draftable kickers Caleb Sturgis from Florida and Dustin Hopkins from FSU who has a monster leg. I saw him kick a 60 yarder in the spring game. No way I make a kicker video. Jags fans requested a Punter video from me

gmen46
01-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Ahh, there he is. My biggest fan. I've missed you and your erudite thrashings! I just haven't felt right without them

"Sometimes", the last time I checked, does not neccessarily denote THIS season. In years past, I recall him missing some kicks that, based on their pay grades and skill levels, would have been considered chip shots that very few NFL kickers would have missed, and in less than prime conditions. Since you are so fond of pin point grammatical accuracy, calling them "chip shots", I suppose, was too much for you to handle. Sorry about the misnomer.

What I do know is that even after all of these years, I still break into a sweat whenever Tynes is called upon. You can bring all of the stats your little heart can handle, but it still wont change the fact that, in his career, he has not always been so reliable. I dont expect perfection, and he has been relatively consistent in recent years, but he will never sit well with me. If I were so inclined, and if I gave a damn about stats even a little bit, I'd use them. Stats are for losers. I watch the games and form my opinions by what I see on the field, and what I've seen from Tynes overall convinces me that the Giants can do better, and for likely less of a cap hit.

Say hi to the family, and dont be such a stranger!

Stats could arguably for "losers" in some cases, I agree. But with kickers, stats are just about the only way to evaluate their performance. They either make a FG or extra point, or they don't. Their kickoffs either are touchbacks or they are not.

You stated quite clearly that you "recall" Tynes "missing a couple xtra points" this year. Well, he didn't, and he has not for 5 seasons. You complain that this year he's missed a couple "chip shots" that even you could make. Well, let's see you make 16 out of 16 FG attempts from 30-39 yards.

You like to rely upon your anecdotal "recollection" to refute and diminish the actual (real) results of statistical fact. But your recollections are--as documented. therefore the relevance of stats--completely incorrect.

You even admit that Tynes "has been relatively consistent in recent years" (your words), yet you prefer to cling to your impression of Tynes from 5 years ago when he was not quite as consistent as he's been the last 4 years ("but he will never sit well with me")..

You express great disdain for stats. Fine. Sometimes, depending upon player position and its impact on the team and in specific games, I agree.

But you also "watch the games and form...opinions by what (you) see on the field". Well, most fans do, as well. You are not unique in that regard.

But what basis in reality do you conclude from watching Tynes overall--as you put it--"that the Giants can do better, and for likely less of a cap hit"? Really? What kicker, specifically and in real world terms not Die-Hard World terms, who will accept less money than Tynes and is guaranteed to be better.
Vinitieri missed a 40 yard FG today in a play off game. I guess the Colts are already looking into replacing him since he's so "inconsistent" and can't be relied upon to make the big FG attempt when most needed.

And you imply that I'm the loser with my statistical references.

Die-Hard
01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
You stated quite clearly that you "recall" Tynes "missing a couple xtra points" this year. Well, he didn't, and he has not for 5 seasons. You complain that this year he's missed a couple "chip shots" that even you could make. Well, let's see you make 16 out of 16 FG attempts from 30-39 yards.

Really? It was "quite clearly" stated that I said that THIS YEAR, Tynes missed a couple of XP's and a couple of chip shots?

You know where you can put those "completely incorrect" words you attributed to me, sport. Nice try

The only thing I mentioned specifically about THIS YEAR was the "26ish" FG that I thought I recall him missing. I could not recall the exact yardage, but I knew it was a very short distance, as far as what even an average NFL kicker can usually hit with relative ease. Now that I've checked, it was a 30 yard attempt in Atlanta that I was thinking of. 30 yards, in a dome, no less. That was the kind of thing I was referring to. It is far from being the only time the guy has completly blown it in games by missing what are widely considered makeable FG's for just about any kicker.

At any rate, this ridiculous battle was waged because I stated that I didn't like Tynes, and you still, rather inexplicably, have that stick up your *** where I'm concerned. I thought that maybe the comedic effect would have diminished, but on THAT, I was most certainly incorrect. You still make me laugh by taking this so seriously and holding an apparent grudge, one of which I cant fathom, but of which I can only assume harkens back to some past indiscretion by one, or both, of us. Its just an opinion, guy. Loosen up before you hurt yourself

Cloud57
01-06-2013, 06:04 PM
There are 2 Draftable kickers Caleb Sturgis from Florida and Dustin Hopkins from FSU who has a monster leg. I saw him kick a 60 yarder in the spring game. No way I make a kicker video. Jags fans requested a Punter video from meDraft him in the first round

berya
01-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Keep him and it's not even close as far as I'm concerned.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
What if we draft a kicker and get Matt Dodge in kicker form

I don't think we even need to draft a kicker.....just bring in some UFA's for a competition this season.

Aguy who can't kick beyond 50 shouldn't be guaranteed a job next season....that's my main point.

But like I said, it's likely irrelevant....Coughlin has bigger worries than his kicking game.....Tynes is good inside 40 yards, and so Coughlin will just go with the devil he knows.

G-MANning4Life
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I like Tynes. Yes, he missed 2 very crucial field goals in the season, if both made, would have no doubt propelled us into the playoffs, but we can do the "if, then" game with all sides of the ball to talk about improving our record this season and having made the post-season. He's fairly consistent if the kick is less than 50 yards. Let's stick by him.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
I like Tynes. Yes, he missed 2 very crucial field goals in the season, if both made, would have no doubt propelled us into the playoffs, but we can do the "if, then" game with all sides of the ball to talk about improving our record this season and having made the post-season. He's fairly consistent if the kick is less than 50 yards. Let's stick by him.

I'll agree there....he doesn't blow too many easy kicks.