PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to improve this team?

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
In my opinion, the best way to improve a team is with defense, and the best way to improve a defense is with a tough linebacker.

I want a fast linebacker, but I'm more interested in someone who:

a) Can shed a block.
b) Hits like a ton of bricks.

This defense needs a linebacker that can deliver a punishing hit to a running back or tight end.....someone who forces the offense to account for them on the field.

So, for me, it's a linebacker that adds toughness to a defense that frankly didn't scare anyone this season.

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
So basically you want Lawrence Taylor?

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Re-do Canty, Webster, Tuck, and Rolle's deal to save money. Sign Glenn Dorsey, and Sebastian Vollmer. Draft a top DE, CB, or OG in the first round.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
So basically you want Lawrence Taylor?

I'd love another LT, but I'm trying to be realistic as well......I'd settle for a dude that doesn't wait for the running back to be 6 yards downhill prior to the tackle.

Toadofsteel
01-04-2013, 10:23 PM
All the Giants fans I talk to seem to be stuck in the 1980s... that having a hard-hitting bunch of LB is the only proper way to dominate. I think the best way to improve the team is to get rid of the offensive excuse for a line we have in front of Eli (keep only Beatty, and Locklear if he's healthy), and get us an actual group of linemen.

Flip Empty
01-04-2013, 10:29 PM
Health would probably help, too.

gmen0820
01-04-2013, 10:29 PM
All the Giants fans I talk to seem to be stuck in the 1980s... that having a hard-hitting bunch of LB is the only proper way to dominate. I think the best way to improve the team is to get rid of the offensive excuse for a line we have in front of Eli (keep only Beatty, and Locklear if he's healthy), and get us an actual group of linemen.Exactly. LBers are the least important unit on defense. Sure, the teams with dominant LBer corps have good defenses, but most run a 34, which predicated on LBer play.

joemorrisforprez
01-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Kevin Minter seems like he'd be available when the Giants are up in the 1st round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664390

Minter is a physical downhill linebacker, who plays decisive and tough with an attacking play style. He shows little wasted movements and plays with an infectious intensity that his teammates feed off of, earning praise for his attitude on and off the field by the coaching staff. LSU defensive coordinator John Chavis has called Minter the team's top competitor, and, at the end-of-season banquet, Minter was voted by his teammates as the team's most valuable player. While Te'o appears to be the consensus top prospect at his position, it wouldn't be surprising if some teams rank Minter as the better inside linebacker

I'd cream my jeans if the Giants snagged Khaseem Greene (OLB) in the 2nd round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724998/khaseem-greene

Khaseem Greene had as dominating a two-year run as the Big East has seen in recent memory, leading the league in tackles with 10.45 per game. He's got 5.5 sacks, picked off two passes, and returned a fumble for a touchdown. In seven of the 12 games, he's had 10 or more tackles. And as a redshirt senior, he's one of the key leaders on the squad.

jomo
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
3 new faces startign on the OL would be a good start.

jomo
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
So basically you want Lawrence Taylor?Is that too much to ask? lol

radar-ray
01-04-2013, 10:56 PM
OL, DT, LB, CB

dave56dj
01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Jomo while 3 new faces may be warranted it usually takes time for a line to gel and im not sure 3/5ths of the line being changed would help fast. Also while the line isn't great its really hard to argue the upgrades:

RT - for sure this is an obvious upgrade (diehl is now a swinging gate and locklear had a devastating injury and wasn't the best run blocker)
G - Snee can still get it done
G- Boothe, could be upgraded for sure but is there the money for it.
C - Baas has not lived up to contract - but making the line calls takes time to learn
LT - Beatty is a good one.

I think perhaps one guard and if you think there is a stud center out there go for it - still most money has to be kept for the studs jpp hakeem and cruz, not to mention re-signing brown, beatty and any other fa's and rfa's on the long list.

Diamondring
01-05-2013, 04:41 AM
I also believe we should go defense. With my experience in life, any combination of players would do. Giants need good backup players and they can be the D-line, lbs safeties etc.

myles2424
01-05-2013, 04:45 AM
Kevin Minter seems like he'd be available when the Giants are up in the 1st round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664390

I'd cream my jeans if the Giants snagged Khaseem Greene (OLB) in the 2nd round.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724998/khaseem-greene

Unless theres a undeniable BPA there at 19 (like when we picked prince) then I want Minter.....I can't find too much negative about his game, & I think we're all tired of the patchwork at LB..

nhpgiantsfan
01-05-2013, 07:23 AM
The only thing that the OL needs is a RT. Everyone else will be fine. The defense def needs a real MLB. This team has been weak at LB for at least 10 years. I understand we are more about the DL, but is it too much to ask for a beast MLB to quarterback this defense.

SweetZombieJesus
01-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Both lines need attention. Yeah I'd love a stud LB, but the guys in the trenches need work.

Flip Empty
01-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I know squat about college - should there be many decent OLmen around 19? Any names to to take note of?

RoanokeFan
01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
3 new faces startign on the OL would be a good start.

At least two for sure, one on each line. I don't see them replacing that many players in one unit at the samae time but they can always pick up a short term FA as well.

bill2000
01-05-2013, 08:52 AM
I think we need to re-make the o-line and pick up a quality CB. We're a pretty solid team overall.

OX1
01-05-2013, 09:48 AM
O-line fixes so many few things, IMO.

Eli, more time for Killdrive's plays, since he won't change.
RB's/TE's can get out for passes.
Keeps our Franchise QB safe
Opens up run game..

But the best part is we put up points early and let the D take more chances.
D needs some holes filled for sure, but they will not be good enough by
next year to win us games on their own. Have to score points (especially early)
and a stud O-line will give us 30 points every game (not until they gel I realize, but
you have to start somewhere). All the other parts of O are there
(assuming we don't lose alot of pieces in offseason)

Captain Chaos
01-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Re-do Canty, Webster, Tuck, and Rolle's deal to save money. Sign Glenn Dorsey, and Sebastian Vollmer. Draft a top DE, CB, or OG in the first round.

I can get on board with that!

big blue dog
01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
one word two things trenchs

brad
01-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Assuming they are able to make some cap room, the O-line should be addressed in FA, few O-linemen are going to come in as rookies and make a major improvement. While the line was not great last year, it did improve over the SB year, with a decrease in both pressures and sacks and an improvement in the running game. However, it was not consistent.

The defense should be addressed in the draft, and bringing in some FA value pickups. DE seems to be considered a popular area of need on this board, but I am not sure that is the area I would be most concerned about. Getting an OLB that would allow Kiwi to move back to DE would help two areas at one time. Improving the DT position, even if just depth would be next priority. CB is also a concern, but I am not sure if the solution to those issues is on the roster or not. MLB would be the big one however. Most great 4-3/Tampa 2 defenses have a good MLB... think Bears with Urlacher... The MLB in the Tampa 2 is a critical piece in stopping the run and that is clearly a major problem for the Giants D.