PDA

View Full Version : ELI CAP HIT

ibbill
01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Am i reading this right his cap hit for the next 3 years is approx. $20,000,000.00 a year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/eli-manning/

RoanokeFan
01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Sounds right

Flip Empty
01-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Yes, numerous restructures have inflated the back-end of his contract.
Before you say "he isn't worth it!", check how much cap he accounted for during the 2011 season - $9.6 million. Was he "worth" that amount?

Judge the worth of the entire contract, not how much of it counts per year. So far, $106 million has bought 1x Super Bowl. It still has three years left.

EnragedYouth85
01-05-2013, 11:02 AM
He's worth every penny, he's a team player and has restructured his contract numberous times to get us under the cap or to sign players. I would not want him on any other team.

GameTime
01-05-2013, 11:03 AM
lots of cash.......
but its the Giants fault for how the pay scaling has gone. They have to deal with it

Sarcasman
01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes, numerous restructures have inflated the back-end of his contract.
Before you say "he isn't worth it!", check how much cap he accounted for during the 2011 season - $9.6 million. Was he "worth" that amount?

Judge the worth of the entire contract, not how much of it counts per year. So far, $106 million has bought 1x Super Bowl. It still has three years left.

What?!? Look at the whole contract in context? What kind of nonsense is that?

You sir are attempting to infringe on my right to free speech by asking this. What are you some kind of commie. comrade?

slipknottin
01-05-2013, 11:23 AM
He's worth every penny, he's a team player and has restructured his contract numberous times to get us under the cap or to sign players. I would not want him on any other team.

Why do people think restructuring is the player doing something nice? The team is converting a non guaranteed base salary to a guaranteed signing bonus.

A restructure is absolutely to a players benefit

GameTime
01-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Why do people think restructuring is the player doing something nice? The team is converting a non guaranteed base salary to a guaranteed signing bonus.

thats why players do it.......it helps the team for a year and the player doesnt lose a dime and perhaps makes more $$ in the end.

Sarcasman
01-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Absolutely, I think it's because restructuring is usually done at the team's request. ut as many have pointed out, it's generally bad fiscal management from the team's POV.

EnragedYouth85
01-05-2013, 11:28 AM

In the long run it is the players benefit, I totally agree. But does it not help the team get under cap that current year?

Roosevelt
01-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Interesting to see that 2012 is Eli's least compensated season.

But I am not buying that his performance was intentionally commensurate with his pay.

gumby74
01-05-2013, 11:52 AM
we have 2 SBs. Even if we never win another one. It's worth it. He'll be ranked #2 behind Brady in salary cap hit starting next year. But hey, you do what you gotta do. Restructure again if you need to.

EnragedYouth85
01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
we have 2 SBs. Even if we never win another one. It's worth it. He'll be ranked #2 behind Brady in salary cap hit starting next year. But hey, you do what you gotta do. Restructure again if you need to.

Just redo his contract all together and spread the money back out lol..

slipknottin
01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
In the long run it is the players benefit, I totally agree. But does it not help the team get under cap that current year?

Not in the long run. It converts it to a signing bonus that the player receives up front.

Teams do it to push back the cap hit, yes. But players aren't doing it to help the team.

If a player wanted to actually help the team they would redo their contract and make less money.

slipknottin
01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
Just redo his contract all together and spread the money back out lol..

Well it's still a huge chunk of money. The thing to do would be to give him an extension. Then they can spread the cap hit out