PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the pass-blocking argument against Wilson

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I don't think Wilson was as bad in pass-protection as some of his critics maintained, especially given how terribly Bradshaw performed in the blowout loss to the Ravens that put this team on playoff life support.

Further, if you look around the NFL, some of the best running backs in the league are not particularly strong in pass protection.

Some examples: Adrian Peterson; Ray Rice; LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/15/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

One thing I noticed.....Kregg Lumpkin was ranked among the worst in the NFL in 2011.....which makes Killdrive's decision to plug him in over Wilson against Atlanta even more ludicrous.

As I see it, this season was just another year of Gilbride failing to adjust his schemes to suit the personnel. I think privately, Reese is very disappointed in how his draft picks were utilized....the Giants were an offensive no-show in 2 huge games this season (Atlanta and Baltimore).....in each loss, Wilson was one of the only players with a light on....and he was mothballed because of pass protection concerns that I think were overblown.

One more year like 2012, and Gilbride's *** will be on the curb...

gmen0820
01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Makes no sense. I support Coughlin/Gilbride, but I will never for the life of me understand why we didn't use Wilson more.

Rudyy
01-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Because he fumbled once. Why didn't we hear about his poor blocking until AFTER that fumble? The entire offseason you heard nothing but good things.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 02:35 PM
You can't simply point to other running backs and say they also can't block without including how effective their offensive lines are in protection. If Eli was playing behind the line that included O'Hara, Seubert, and McKenzie, Wilson's ability to hold his blocks and make his reads would be less of an issue.

When Lumpkin was in, he ran the ball effectively. I didn't see that as a "replacing" of Wilson but a need to get another RB some playing time.

Hooligans
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think Wilson was as bad in pass-protection as some of his critics maintained, especially given how terribly Bradshaw performed in the blowout loss to the Ravens that put this team on playoff life support.

Further, if you look around the NFL, some of the best running backs in the league are not particularly strong in pass protection.

Some examples: Adrian Peterson; Ray Rice; LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running

[URL]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/15/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

One thing I noticed.....Kregg Lumpkin was ranked among the worst in the NFL in 2011.....which makes Killdrive's decision to plug him in over Wilson against Atlanta even more ludicrous.

As I see it, this season was just another year of Gilbride failing to adjust his schemes to suit the personnel. I think privately, Reese is very disappointed in how his draft picks were utilized.

One more year like 2012, and Gilbride's *** will be on the curb.

Wilson was horrible at pass blocking and almost got Eli killed on different occasions....he had better learn how to block, and not fumble or he will never be a starter.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Well the season is over so you shouldnt hear the excuse much more.

Wilson should see the field a great deal next year and i wouldve liked more pt this year as well, but those guys are watching practices and clearly were displeased with something they saw.

As for lumpkin as the shotgun back i think thats more of a scheme thing. Even when ab was the guy alone they often put in ware as the third down back and have been switching it up for years like that. Im not sure if its to feed less playbook to the feature or simply to give some spells to the feature or b/c they believe guys like ware and lumpkin are better receivers out of the backfield. Lumpkin had shown pass catching ability in the past. Not that wilson couldn't have taken advantage of that opportunity. Still i think its clear d showed he needs the rock more often and will see it next year.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
You can't simply point to other running backs and say they also can't block without including how effective their offensive lines are in protection. If Eli was playing behind the line that included O'Hara, Seubert, and McKenzie, Wilson's ability to hold his blocks and make his reads would be less of an issue.

When Lumpkin was in, he ran the ball effectively. I didn't see that as a "replacing" of Wilson but a need to get another RB some playing time.

I respectivefully disagree.....I see other teams taking their running backs and using them to run the ball or else neutralize a blitzer by committing them to cover the RB in the flank. Gilbride will not do that....and opposing DCs know it.

Lumpkin fumbled late in the Atlanta game.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Wilson was horrible at pass blocking and almost got Eli killed on different occasions....he had better learn how to block, and not fumble or he will never be a starter.

The fumbling issue has resolved itself. His pass blocking has been an issue. We'll see how much his playing this season has improved that category next season.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
I respectivefully disagree.....I see other teams taking their running backs and using them to run the ball or else neutralize a blitzer by committing them to cover the RB in the flank. Gilbride will not do that....and opposing DCs know it.

Lumpkin fumbled late in the Atlanta game.

We just disagree.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Because he fumbled once. Why didn't we hear about his poor blocking until AFTER that fumble? The entire offseason you heard nothing but good things.

This is entirely untrue - mayock even mentioned at the draft that he came from less of a pro style offense and was often taken out in obvious pass situations.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
We just disagree.

True.....it's you v. me and Jerry Reese :D

TheEnigma
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Is there a lack of communication between the coaches and college scouting department? David Wilson just doesn't seem like a fit for a Gilbride type of offense and the coaching staff was hesitant to use him unless injuries occurred after that 1st Dallas game.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Reese wants his guys to play every year and makes similar statements - that said all 53 are his guys with exceptions of some vets and even then he was head of scouting and had a great deal to do with draft.

Enigma im not sure there is any disconnect or that wilson is not a gilbride guy.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
True.....it's you v. me and Jerry Reese :D

I will defer to the organization 100% of the time. I KNOW I have no experience in NFL coaching, playing, etc. We see these players for some part of 60 minutes on 16 days during the regular season. The coaching staff sees them a smidge more often. Like most fans, I have questions about plays called, passes dropped, blocking and tackling errors, etc. I can "see" those things for myself.

But when it comes to coaching, I just have to defer.

We are all disappointed in the results this year.

TheEnigma
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Enigma im not sure there is any disconnect or that wilson is not a gilbride guy.

Every FO is different and we all know the Giants are old school is different in that regard. "Coaches coach, GMs manage". What I'm driving at is there a moment before the draft where we go over with the coaches on which players they might like coming out or is there blind faith/lack of time because our coaches are too busy doing their own thing?

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Is there a lack of communication between the coaches and college scouting department? David Wilson just doesn't seem like a fit for a Gilbride type of offense and the coaching staff was hesitant to use him unless injuries occurred after that 1st Dallas game.

This is one of the reasons I can't stand Gilbride.

It's also one of the few criticisms I have of Coughlin....his loyalty to vets and coaches is admirable, but sometimes it prevents him from fixing issues.

Bradshaw was so banged up at the end of the year that he should have been playing on a Rascal.....he had no business being in that Baltimore game, especially after Wilson made it a 14-7 contest.

Rudyy
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
This is entirely untrue - mayock even mentioned at the draft that he came from less of a pro style offense and was often taken out in obvious pass situations.Ok, but Mayock said that.I want to hear it from my coaches.

Generation Eli
01-06-2013, 02:58 PM

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/15/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/

As I see it, this season was just another year of Gilbride failing to adjust his schemes to suit the personnel. I think privately, Reese is very disappointed in how his draft picks were utilized....the Giants were an offensive no-show in 2 huge games this season (Atlanta and Baltimore).....in each loss, Wilson was one of the only players with a light on....and he was mothballed because of pass protection concerns that I think were overblown.

One more year like 2012, and Gilbride's *** will be on the curb...

Um, its KG. He doesnt even know how to spel PERSONELL!

Draw
Draw
HB Counter
Punt

KG: "Pretty neat gameplan, ha?"

gmen0820
01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Um, its KG. He doesnt even know how to spel PERSONELL!

Draw
Draw
HB Counter
Punt

KG: "Pretty neat gameplan, ha?"*Spell *Personnel

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 03:02 PM
*Spell *Personnel

I had to resist, thanks

TheEnigma
01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Ok, but Mayock said that.I want to hear it from my coaches.

David Wilson was taken for two reasons

A) Reese was afraid that if he didn't take Wilson at 32, there would be a lack of quality RBs left to take (which we know is totally false now with guys like Morris, Pierce, and Ballard playing admirably)

B) His physical attributes. With the proper training and conditioning, he could be the best "athlete" from his position in the draft. We all know Reese loves athletes.

But I want to know what kind of communication the coaching staff has with Reese and his scouting department leading up to the draft. I ask this because of guys like Sintim and Beckum which never were matches for our team.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM

A) Reese was afraid that if he didn't take Wilson at 32, there would be a lack of quality RBs left to take (which we know is totally false now with guys like Morris, Pierce, and Ballard playing admirably)

B) His physical attributes. With the proper training and conditioning, he could be the best "athlete" from his position in the draft. We all know Reese loves athletes.

But I want to know what kind of communication the coaching staff has with Reese and his scouting department leading up to the draft. I ask this because of guys like Sintim and Beckum which never were matches for our team.

I think this is an excellent point, and should be at the top of the list when Reese and Coughlin huddle up in the offseason.

There were some critical points of the season this year when Wilson was overlooked, and I'd be shocked if Reese wasn't sitting upstairs and wondering why the **** they were running a journeyman like Kregg Lumpkin instead of his top draft pick.

Given what he did against New Orleans (basically winning the game).....I just don't understand the disconnect between Reese and the coaching staff this year.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Ok, but Mayock said that.I want to hear it from my coaches.

You want the coaches to come out and knock there first rounder? Look they made it clear in OTA's that all backs have to learn to protect to stay on the field - this is nothing new and was mentioned ad nauseum before the year began in regard to wilson.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:13 PM
If Beckum developed into a graham type be sure the coaching staff would assimilate and even great gm's make mistakes like sintim. i realize he looked more like a 3-4 backer but lets face it it wasn't just scheme that derailed his giants tenure. Perhaps reese thought hed be a good 4-3 olb.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
You want the coaches to come out and knock there first rounder? Look they made it clear in OTA's that all backs have to learn to protect to stay on the field - this is nothing new and was mentioned ad nauseum before the year began in regard to wilson.

If I'm not mistaken, the coaches went out of their way this year to knock Wilson. I could pull links/stories if needed.

You'd think that Wilson had snaked Ingram out of his parking spot.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
this isnt the point - the poster asked why we didnt hear anything about his blocking ability before the year and we did ad nauseum.

Rudyy
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM
You want the coaches to come out and knock there first rounder? Look they made it clear in OTA's that all backs have to learn to protect to stay on the field - this is nothing new and was mentioned ad nauseum before the year began in regard to wilson.Who said anything about knocking? All I'm saying is I personally didn't hear of his poor blocking skills until AFTER he fumbled that ball. All I heard was how speedy and athletic he was. Nothing but praise. Then he fumbled, and there's a laundry list of problems..come on.

TheEnigma
01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
If Beckum developed into a graham type be sure the coaching staff would assimilate and even great gm's make mistakes like sintim. i realize he looked more like a 3-4 backer but lets face it it wasn't just scheme that derailed his giants tenure. Perhaps reese thought hed be a good 4-3 olb.

Well the issue with Beckum was his body size which is more similar to an Aaron Hernandez but if you can't run block in this offense (and Beckum never had the ceiling for it), there's no point having you on this team as a TE. Maybe the coaching staff does have some input in the draft process and thinks they can convert some of these kids but it wouldn't surprise me if Reese and co drafts 7 of these young guys and essentially dumps them on Coughlin's door step without a hint in the world. If someone here actually has inside knowledge of this, I'd love to know.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Ruuudy i t was mentioned over and over and over again in preseason - he must learn to protect to get on the field - gilbride and coughlin talked about it from day one.

enigma you are using 2 playes (maybe 3 with wilson) to make a case for reeese dumping guys on coughlins doorstep - to me they are the exceptions not the rule. And i have yet to see any sign that any coach doesn't like an explosive back - i understand you can point to less pt for wilson but i think that will change this year and was a product of his progression aone.

Rudyy
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Well the issue with Beckum was his body size which is more similar to an Aaron Hernandez but if you can't run block in this offense (and Beckum never had the ceiling for it), there's no point having you on this team as a TE. Maybe the coaching staff does have some input in the draft process and thinks they can convert some of these kids but it wouldn't surprise me if Reese and co drafts 7 of these young guys and essentially dumps them on Coughlin's door step without a hint in the world. If someone here actually has inside knowledge of this, I'd love to know.Interesting point.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the coaches went out of their way this year to knock Wilson. I could pull links/stories if needed.

You'd think that Wilson had snaked Ingram out of his parking spot.

I remember Ingram and Gilbride answering questions about Wilson and part of their responses dealt with his ability to read defenses ,his blocking assignments, and that he "needed to grow up."

I remember similar responses about Randle coming from coaches and Eli. Eli worked with Randle one on one and he has picked up is game. Hynoski took Wilson under his wind and his play improved.

I don't think that's "going out of their way."

Rudyy
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Ruuudy i t was mentioned over and over and over again in preseason - he must learn to protect to get on the field - gilbride and coughlin talked about it from day one.And he was the starter from day one as well. Clearly that wasn't the number one issue then.

TheEnigma
01-06-2013, 03:26 PM
enigma you are using 2 playes (maybe 3 with wilson) to make a case for reeese dumping guys on coughlins doorstep - to me they are the exceptions not the rule. And i have yet to see any sign that any coach doesn't like an explosive back - i understand you can point to less pt for wilson but i think that will change this year and was a product of his progression aone.

Maybe it comes across as me complaining but I feel it's more along the lines of a valid question because as phenomenal as Reese has been with the drafts, he does make some selections that make you go "Wait, how does THAT fit for the NYG?". I just want to know if we go with the old school "Coaches coach" approach to the draft or if there is some communication between the FO and Coughlin. We value traditional RBs in this offense and that isn't Wilson so I feel it's a good topic of discussion.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Gotcha enigma - I just cant seem to agree - in that the majority of reese picks have always fit the system and your claiming otherwise based on 3 picks out of at least 28 right? My thought is reese is constantly looking for gems and he has taken some guys outside of the box in hopes that they will be good enough to force them into games. Hell the giants tried to line up beckum in the slot and he just never produced. Sintim never stayed healthy and i really dont agree on wilson at all. Not sure whats untraditional about him. AB did not come into the league as a pass protector and also had a label of dancing but could hit the home run.

TheEnigma
01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Gotcha enigma - I just cant seem to agree - in that the majority of reese picks have always fit the system and your claiming otherwise based on 3 picks out of at least 28 right? My thought is reese is constantly looking for gems and he has taken some guys outside of the box in hopes that they will be good enough to force them into games. Hell the giants tried to line up beckum in the slot and he just never produced. Sintim never stayed healthy and i really dont agree on wilson at all. Not sure whats untraditional about him. AB did not come into the league as a pass protector and also had a label of dancing but could hit the home run.

Vtech's offense isn't anywhere close to being near a pro scheme compared to the ones that guys like Pierce and Ballard were involved in. Majority of Wilson's runs were to the outside and they relied on his athleticism to carry them in 2011 versus technique. I just mean those FEW questionable picks we do have makes me wonder what the communication level is between Reese and Coughlin. They do come from two different philosophies so that's why I wonder about it sometimes.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Ruudy he had a few packages to begin the year - if you think he was gonna be the feature you are wrong and do not listen to coughlin - who said from the get go he had some plays for him. Again pass protection was mentioned by TC and Gilbride at OTA'S with wilson.

enigma - i get your thinking but i just dont see a lack of communiaction. Gilbride said from day one he thought wilson was electric and sounded pretty damne excited about him - but did mention pass protection. True wilson did not come from a pro offense but that doesnt mean he cant be more traditional with learing. They utilized his speed with small packages early but he certainly will have to learn how to run between tackles too and did more toward the end of the year. I think beckum was outside the box thinking alone.

Rudyy
01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Ruudy he had a few packages to begin the year - if you think he was gonna be the feature you are wrong and do not listen to coughlin - who said from the get go he had some plays for him. Again pass protection was mentioned by TC and Gilbride at OTA'S with wilson.

enigma - i get your thinking but i just dont see a lack of communiaction. Gilbride said from day one he thought wilson was electric and sounded pretty damne excited about him - but did mention pass protection. True wilson did not come from a pro offense but that doesnt mean he cant be more traditional with learing. They utilized his speed with small packages early but he certainly will have to learn how to run between tackles too and did more toward the end of the year. I think beckum was outside the box thinking alone.We're just going to have to agree to disagree then. Maybe he did mention his poor pass blocking but I didn't hear much of it. Didn't think it was right he only got a couple of carries at the end of games. I understand not starting him over Bradshaw, but they should have split more carries together. They started doing that down the stretch and he's come up big. I do this he needs to improve in some areas, of course.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Ruudy - I agree I called for D all year. I loved his ability. But everyone who followed beat reporters in offseason will tell you they absolutely hammered Wilson as almsot every coach does with rookie qb's (wilson was not an exception) for picking up pass rushers. I wanted wilson to get the ball more - he is a home run threat - but i am not at practice and realize they were seeing some things that worried them and there is no more important player - maybe in our history - then #10 and if he is not on the field we are in trouble - so perhaps they just didnt feel he would keep eli clean. That said we actually weren't bad this year running the ball and ab was actually at 4.6 a carry.

jomo
01-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Makes no sense. I support Coughlin/Gilbride, but I will never for the life of me understand why we didn't use Wilson more.I would say that AB and Brown were always ahead of him early in the year. The blocking thing is just smoke. He was a rookie and had to up his game there. He progressed as the year went on and he's ready for prime time. AB and Brown are also good so we'll have to juggle the salary numbers next year. AB could be a casualty.

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
I dont agree on the smoke thing one bit - it is mentioned over and over and over again with rookie rb's getting on the field. brown and ab were ahead of him for a reason - keep 10 clean. Even with martin starting for the bucs it was mentioned ad nauseum in tampa games as it is with every other rookie back. Now martin worked out well and perhaps wilson would have too but freeman is a much bigger more mobile q.

jomo
01-06-2013, 04:08 PM
I dont agree on the smoke thing one bit - it is mentioned over and over and over again with rookie rb's getting on the field. brown and ab were ahead of him for a reason - keep 10 clean. Even with martin starting for the bucs it was mentioned ad nauseum in tampa games as it is with every other rookie back. Now martin worked out well and perhaps wilson would have too but freeman is a much bigger more mobile q.I may have a stronger filter on that stuff. I don't even think the fumble thing was that big. He was just #3 on the depth chart playing for a coach who values experience. The blocking and fumble thing may have been overworked here by pea brained wanna be's but with the coaches it was just a progression thing IMO for a rookie looking to climb the depth chart.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
I may have a stronger filter on that stuff. I don't even think the fumble thing was that big. He was just #3 on the depth chart playing for a coach who values experience. The blocking and fumble thing may have been overworked here by pea brained wanna be's but with the coaches it was just a progression thing IMO for a rookie looking to climb the depth chart.

Interesting point. Yes, he had a fumble on his 2nd or 3rd offensive play of his first game. That normally puts a rookie RB in the "dog house." But if he were being punished, why then would the same coaching staff put him in as the kick returner where a fumble would almost certainly take place in enemy territory? I think he was always going to start behind Bradshaw and Brown and, when Brown broke his leg, he was going to get baptism by fire, which he did. To prepare him for that, Hynoski took Wilson under his wing to pound the blocking schemes into his head. That would not have been necessary if Wilson were up to speed.

That's all history now. Wilson got more snaps and his playing time last season will better prepare him for a greater role next season.

Buddy333
01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah blocking is so over rated. If they where punishing him for the fumble why did they have him running back kicks?

Generation Eli
01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
*Spell *Personnel

LMAO, the spelling error was the point

except for the word spell, new KB has soft touch keys.

Meh, oh wells

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
jomo did you just call me a pea brain - regardless keepin 10 clean is the most important thing our offense can do - but i would have liked to see wilson more as well.

I agree the fumble was less important.

penguinfarmer
01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Wilson got a touch before Brown in the first game. I don't think that's going out of the coaches' way to contain him.

Wilson still has to run between the tackles more consistently. Can't take everything to the edge like in college.

jomo
01-06-2013, 05:20 PM
jomo did you just call me a pea brain - regardless keepin 10 clean is the most important thing our offense can do - but i would have liked to see wilson more as well.

I agree the fumble was less important.Well lol..............no offense meant. Let me say that I agree totally that #10 needs to stay clean which he only did this year with a quick release. That is part of the calculus on who starts at Rb. I still don't think that was the only reason he didn't play early. AB and Brown were better. That said, I have always been excited about Wilson and his rookie year went a little slower than I would have liked but overall it was about rigtht IMO (I consider myself one of the pea brain society here).

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 05:29 PM
ha - you seem pretty rational most of the time - i look for a few names on these boards otherwise there is no logical argument other then this guy sucks and that guys sucks.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 05:49 PM
ha - you seem pretty rational most of the time - i look for a few names on these boards otherwise there is no logical argument other then this guy sucks and that guys sucks.

Don't forget he's a bum and garbage

giantsfan420
01-06-2013, 06:23 PM
i thought wilson was looking as good as any rb in the league towards the end of the season. i am extremely excited about DW. I too didnt get the lack of pt, especially when the offense was doing nothing and DW was the exception to that and yet he was still pulled.

I totally get why JR picked DW and honestly dont think he was being dishonest about rating DM under DW. People were remarking on how NFL ready DM was, not a particular skill set or trait. U absolutely see the difference in speed, athleticism, and explosion with DW compared to other rbs, esp the guys taken later in the draft used to try and disprove JRs theory aboutt a run on quality rbs.

While I wish things ended up differently this year, with DW playing time at the top of the list, i absolutely have zero negative arguments with the drafting of DW. i truly believe he can be a top 3 rb, a complete rb...next yrs gonna be very interesting with our rbs. DW-60% of the carries, AB1 and AB2 split the other 40% and I bet DW eclipses 1200 yds...

Flip Empty
01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah blocking is so over rated. If they where punishing him for the fumble why did they have him running back kicks?
Because the ST unit is like the children's table

dave56dj
01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
While I love D wilson -D martin proved he will be a beast too and is more then JUST NFL ready - kid was outstanding and I think wilson was too when given time.

Drez
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Because the ST unit is like the children's tableExcept if you think the guy has a turnover issue, especially TC. He'd rather have poor returns than put a guy back there that he doesn't trust.

RoanokeFan
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Because the ST unit is like the children's table

TIME OUT lol

TroyArcher
01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Wilson was horrible at pass protection, not sure what you were watching. He better pick it up next year as he is a game breaker.

appodictic
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Dude get over this. The media just repeats stuff. Stay the course. Wilson in the dog house. Just because you keep hearing why people say Wilson won't play doesn't mean it's true.

chasjay
01-06-2013, 11:21 PM
I think the comments made in the thread about Andre Brown are on target. It is easy to look at the late-season performance of Wilson and say that he should have played more earlier on. But Brown's stats were 5.3 YPC until his injury. He doesn't have the explosiveness of Wilson, but he was solid - and more experienced in the system and the fundamentals.

joemorrisforprez
01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
I think the comments made in the thread about Andre Brown are on target. It is easy to look at the late-season performance of Wilson and say that he should have played more earlier on. But Brown's stats were 5.3 YPC until his injury. He doesn't have the explosiveness of Wilson, but he was solid - and more experienced in the system and the fundamentals.

I think Andre Brown had a ton of upside....really hope he comes back from that broken leg without any issues.

Cloud57
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
I think Andre Brown had a ton of upside....really hope he comes back from that broken leg without any issues.even if he does come back he's injury prone and may get injured again, that's why he can't be a starter. he can be able to split carries though.

Sean Montemayor
01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
David. Wilson. Epic. Enough said.

BeatYale
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM

(In the offseason) There were plenty of posts from people suggesting he would become a starter sooner than later, however, there were also plenty of replies suggesting that he would not be starting much this year because he'd have to learn the offense and pass protection first.

Sean Montemayor
01-07-2013, 12:29 AM
THIS IS OUR YEAR!!! We play division games of course, and then @Carolina, @ Kansas City, @ San Diego, @Chicago, @ Detroit, HOST: Oakland, Denver, Seattle, Green Bay, and Minnesota. Not in that order, but I'm looking forward to next season anyways. Besides, what else can a Giants fan do right now, right?

BeatYale
01-07-2013, 12:32 AM

Those are veteran RB's that have seen plenty of different looks from NFL defenses. They aren't expected to be great blockers, but they are definitely expected to know their assignments. A blown assignment is the biggest concern.

How are you determining he wasn't bad at pass protection? He didn't play enough snaps early in the season for fans to gauge it, and whatever he did in pass protection later in the season could have been a result of getting better at it throughout the course of the season via practice and film sessions etc.

M00KIE
01-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Wilson didn't pass block in college, some backs do, some don't. He's learning and should have a much better grasp of it next year. It's not just the ability to block someone, it's knowing "who" to block. That's the tough part and the part that would have gotten Eli killed. He's going to end up being the starting RB sooner or later (likely sooner) so relax.

GCGiant
01-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Hynoski took Wilson under his wind and his play improved.

Wow...dude farted on him to make him better? j/k :)

RoanokeFan
01-07-2013, 06:42 AM
I think Andre Brown had a ton of upside....really hope he comes back from that broken leg without any issues.

That's a major piece of this puzzle. Could a healthy Brown mean Bradshaw is expendable?

RoanokeFan
01-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Wow...dude farted on him to make him better? j/k :)

Whatever works! lol

Redeyejedi
01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Because he fumbled once. Why didn't we hear about his poor blocking until AFTER that fumble? The entire offseason you heard nothing but good things.Dont forget he does backflips and they dont like that. I wasnt a fan of the Wilson pick but the Giants completely botched the way they used him this year. U dont spend a high pick on a RB than nail him to the bench all season its really stupid.I think the biggest failure of the coaching staff this year was Wilson and not keeping the other receivers involved all season.

Redeyejedi
01-07-2013, 07:31 AM
THIS IS OUR YEAR!!! We play division games of course, and then @Carolina, @ Kansas City, @ San Diego, @Chicago, @ Detroit, HOST: Oakland, Denver, Seattle, Green Bay, and Minnesota. Not in that order, but I'm looking forward to next season anyways. Besides, what else can a Giants fan do right now, right?We got really lucky with the Home games. Avoiding Seattle in their building is big.all 4 playoff teams in Giants stadium wow

jintsfan666
01-07-2013, 07:46 AM

For Tom Coughlin.

RoanokeFan
01-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Dont forget he does backflips and they dont like that. I wasnt a fan of the Wilson pick but the Giants completely botched the way they used him this year. U dont spend a high pick on a RB than nail him to the bench all season its really stupid.I think the biggest failure of the coaching staff this year was Wilson and not keeping the other receivers involved all season.

How was he "nailed to the bench" when he set the single game all purpose yards record? I know you're not suggesting he was held back because of the back flips.

Drez
01-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Wilson didn't pass block in college, some backs do, some don't. He's learning and should have a much better grasp of it next year. It's not just the ability to block someone, it's knowing "who" to block. That's the tough part and the part that would have gotten Eli killed. He's going to end up being the starting RB sooner or later (likely sooner) so relax.
He also didn't even play in a pro-style offense. A lot of the concepts even in the running part of the running game were foreign to him.

Drez
01-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Dont forget he does backflips and they dont like that. I wasnt a fan of the Wilson pick but the Giants completely botched the way they used him this year. U dont spend a high pick on a RB than nail him to the bench all season its really stupid.I think the biggest failure of the coaching staff this year was Wilson and not keeping the other receivers involved all season.
Back flips really held JPP back.

Drez
01-07-2013, 08:17 AM
That's a major piece of this puzzle. Could a healthy Brown mean Bradshaw is expendable?If AB doesn't want to take a pay cut, yes.

Drez
01-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Because he fumbled once. Why didn't we hear about his poor blocking until AFTER that fumble? The entire offseason you heard nothing but good things.Again, if the fumbling was such an issue, why did TC keep Wilson on kickoffs?

Maybe you didn't hear about the pass pro issues in the offseason because there wasn't sufficient time for it to come out, however, I do recall the coaches saying that Wilson had a lot to learn about playing RB in the NFL. Mayhaps pass protection was included in that statement?

Rudyy
01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Again, if the fumbling was such an issue, why did TC keep Wilson on kickoffs?Maybe you didn't hear about the pass pro issues in the offseason because there wasn't sufficient time for it to come out, however, I do recall the coaches saying that Wilson had a lot to learn about playing RB in the NFL. Mayhaps pass protection was included in that statement?Perhaps, but I still thought it was weird how given that he wasnt in a pro style offense in college he remained the starter UNTIL he fumbled. Then we didnt hear the end of his pass blocking issues. That just came across as weird to me.

appodictic
01-07-2013, 09:08 AM
It is very interesting to me that people just believe Wilson deserves to start. First let me say this. If you are going to mention the saints game, 1) the saints have terrible defence. It was a great game, but hey, Bradshaw had a 200 yard rushing game (throw him in on some kick offs and maybe he has that record)

Anyway onto my point:

In Philadelphia, on the last game of the season.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012123006/2012/REG17/eagles@giants#menu=highlights&tab=recap
Bradshaw had 16 carries for 107 years. One of those being a one yard TD. He also caught 40ish yard pass.
Wilson had 16 carries for 75 yards.

When you put them both side by side given the same opportunities in the same game Bradshaw does better.

If Bradshaw is better then Wilson, what does the reason matter? The reason could be wombats. Especially at the beginning of the season Wilson was raw. He was saying stupid stuff like birth control jokes, he fumbled, etc. We have one proven 2x super bowl rushing leader running back, and another back Brown with more experience.

You notice now the giants are more ready to accelerate Wilson "he could be the lead dog". Do not get caught up in what coaches say in interviews, they are not really going to tell you what they are thinking. Look at the facts! "wilson could be the lead dog" is code word for "we are cheap, if browns leg recovers we cut bradshaw to save 4 million regardless of if he rushes for more yardage then wilson against the same team"

Flip Empty
01-07-2013, 09:12 AM
It is very interesting to me that people just believe Wilson deserves to start.
People are confused as to why he saw so few snaps last season, I don't think anyone is calling for him to receive 90% of future carries.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM
It is very interesting to me that people just believe Wilson deserves to start. First let me say this. If you are going to mention the saints game, 1) the saints have terrible defence. It was a great game, but hey, Bradshaw had a 200 yard rushing game (throw him in on some kick offs and maybe he has that record)Anyway onto my point:In Philadelphia, on the last game of the season.http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012123006/2012/REG17/eagles@giants#menu=highlights&tab=recapBradshaw had 16 carries for 107 years. One of those being a one yard TD. He also caught 40ish yard pass.Wilson had 16 carries for 75 yards.When you put them both side by side given the same opportunities in the same game Bradshaw does better. If Bradshaw is better then Wilson, what does the reason matter? The reason could be wombats. Especially at the beginning of the season Wilson was raw. He was saying stupid stuff like birth control jokes, he fumbled, etc. We have one proven 2x super bowl rushing leader running back, and another back Brown with more experience.You notice now the giants are more ready to accelerate Wilson "he could be the lead dog". Do not get caught up in what coaches say in interviews, they are not really going to tell you what they are thinking. Look at the facts! "wilson could be the lead dog" is code word for "we are cheap, if browns leg recovers we cut bradshaw to save 4 million regardless of if he rushes for more yardage then wilson against the same team"Can't believe the hate for Bradshaw on this board. Lol. He had a good season. Injury filled, but still good when he payed. Why should Wilson have started over him? Oh that's right. He was a first round pick.

appodictic
01-07-2013, 09:19 AM
People are confused as to why he saw so few snaps last season, I don't think anyone is calling for him to receive 90% of future carries. Right. Let me put it this way. If Wilson was a barely adequate blocker by week 17 he was probably terrible at it week 1. Which is what the coaches were saying. So it is a perfectly valid argument if you ask me.

Rudyy
01-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Can't believe the hate for Bradshaw on this board. Lol. He had a good season. Injury filled, but still good when he payed. Why should Wilson have started over him? Oh that's right. He was a first round pick.He shouldnt have been the starter, but he should have had more carries earlier this season.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 09:23 AM
He shouldnt have been the starter, but he should have had more carries earlier this season.Why should he have had more than Brown?

Flip Empty
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Right. Let me put it this way. If Wilson was a barely adequate blocker by week 17 he was probably terrible at it week 1. Which is what the coaches were saying. So it is a perfectly valid argument if you ask me.
The coaches brought Wilson on early in the season opener - I doubt they'd have done that if he wasn't in their plans.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Also, as was said during the Ravens game, because the offense struggled to stay on the field they couldn't do everything they had planned. May e if the offense was playing better and moving the chains Wilson would have had more opportunities.

Rudyy
01-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Why should he have had more than Brown?After Brown went down, is what I'm saying. Bradshaw played well but I think it hurt his foot more.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
TC has dealt with fumblers before. Have to trust the staff that just on the Super Bowl. Maybe he just wasn't ready.

Flip Empty
01-07-2013, 09:31 AM
TC has dealt with fumblers before.
It almost seems like a rite of passage for Giants' RBs.

speedman
01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
I will defer to the organization 100% of the time. I KNOW I have no experience in NFL coaching, playing, etc. We see these players for some part of 60 minutes on 16 days during the regular season. The coaching staff sees them a smidge more often. Like most fans, I have questions about plays called, passes dropped, blocking and tackling errors, etc. I can "see" those things for myself. But when it comes to coaching, I just have to defer. We are all disappointed in the results this year. Even after they started Diehl over Locklear? This coaching staff is full of ****.

speedman
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Also, as was said during the Ravens game, because the offense struggled to stay on the field they couldn't do everything they had planned. May e if the offense was playing better and moving the chains Wilson would have had more opportunities.Maybe they should have made some adjustments.

MustWarnOthers
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Just like everything else in this game, things can fall over on each other like dominoes. If we can FA or later-round draft some young, strong, healthy assistance at OL, it will put less pressure on each domino in the chain.

David Wilson just had his first NFL season and I think he did great. Even great RB's are going to fumble, at his early fumble was almost expected to happen at some point. He had great ball security going through the rest of the year. Once we get a more reliable OL, our RB's will have a little less pressure to keep Eli clean. That's not to say Wilson isn't going to be learning, which I bet he will this offseason. Hynoski is the perfect guy to be helping him, given what a beast he was as classic FB.

Let's also acknowledge our ST/returns situation. We were just near the top 5 in kick return averages, and our kick returner, Mr David Wilson led the league. Not only did he lead the league, he had almost 25% more yards than the next closest guy. He tore kick returns to shreds this year, which was an issue for the Giants in years before.

This kid has a lot of value to this team, and with another 10 lbs and some blocking homework in the offseason, he should be a threat next season.

RoanokeFan
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Even after they started Diehl over Locklear? This coaching staff is full of ****.

A lot of fans feel that way. None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. I did question Diehl starting over Locklear but that's a decision they made based on information I don't have at my disposal.

mercurio
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Coughlin is the problem. Reese is the reason we won 2 superbowls with the talent he put on the field. Coughlin is the reason we only won 2 with poor play calling. Making players fit his system rather than adjusting to utilize the players talents. Being too predictable. Always trying to use the run to setup the pass instead of the pass to set up the run when you have a QB like Eli. Sitting players down for making mistakes rather than just talking to them.

G-MENBK
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
A lot of fans feel that way. None of us know what goes on behind the scenes. I did question Diehl starting over Locklear but that's a decision they made based on information I don't have at my disposal.

With all due respect, what happens in practice is one thing, what happens come game day is another. Diehl starting over Locklear is as boneheaded as putting an injured Nicks over other receivers.

Drez
01-07-2013, 04:58 PM
He shouldnt have been the starter, but he should have had more carries earlier this season.
The problem earlier in the season was that if Wilson was in opponents knew that we were going to try to get him the ball. So, it was easier to key in on him and stop the play.

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:00 PM
With all due respect, what happens in practice is one thing, what happens come game day is another. Diehl starting over Locklear is as boneheaded as putting an injured Nicks over other receivers.
Locklear had struggled for a couple weeks prior before they put Diehl in.

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Coughlin is the problem. Reese is the reason we won 2 superbowls with the talent he put on the field. Coughlin is the reason we only won 2 with poor play calling. Making players fit his system rather than adjusting to utilize the players talents. Being too predictable. Always trying to use the run to setup the pass instead of the pass to set up the run when you have a QB like Eli. Sitting players down for making mistakes rather than just talking to them.
The good ol', "We win despite Coach X," argument. Glad to have a sure fire way of knowing when we hit the bottom of the barrel.

G-MENBK
01-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Locklear had struggled for a couple weeks prior before they put Diehl in.

And what you saw from Diehl was an improvement?

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
And what you saw from Diehl was an improvement?
In hindsight, no. But, I can understand why they would want and see if Diehl could be an improvement. It's not like Locklear is a future Hall of Famer or perennial Pro Bowler.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 05:12 PM
In hindsight, no. But, I can understand why they would want and see if Diehl could be an improvement. It's not like Locklear is a future Hall of Famer or perennial Pro Bowler.

If Reese doesn't address RT and LB, no way in hell are the Giants going to break out of the 9-7 W/L range.

G-MENBK
01-07-2013, 05:14 PM

But that, along with Wilson getting limited snaps, Nicks getting the thumbs-up over other players only spelled disaster for the offense. I mean, for a while, Bradshaw was getting more carries than Brown and Wilson, combined, and that's with a player who had busted up feet.

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
But that, along with Wilson getting limited snaps, Nicks getting the thumbs-up over other players only spelled disaster for the offense. I mean, for a while, Bradshaw was getting more carries than Brown and Wilson, combined, and that's with a player who had busted up feet.
If AB1 was getting more snaps than AB2 and Wilson combined then his feet weren't busted up at the time.

G-MENBK
01-07-2013, 05:27 PM
If AB1 was getting more snaps than AB2 and Wilson combined then his feet weren't busted up at the time.

It was plaguing him all season long. He missed a few practices because of it.

I mean, what, Nicks wasn't injured as well?

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:29 PM
If Reese doesn't address RT and LB, no way in hell are the Giants going to break out of the 9-7 W/L range.
Defensively, I think we need to address DL and CB more than LB. Not to say that LBs aren't important, but they are the least important part of our defense. We just need to get average there (just about all our LBs underwhelmed this season). If the DL improves its play, it'll make the LBs look a lot better.

I'd be surprised (kinda, sorta, not really) if we drafted RT early. I think they are still hoping that Brewer will be able to step up and take over that spot.

mercurio
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
The good ol', "We win despite Coach X," argument. Glad to have a sure fire way of knowing when we hit the bottom of the barrel.2 of the last 3 seasons we missed the playoffs by one game. Last year we won the SB because our players were hungry for the championship & were highly motivated to win it all. This year they couldn't keep that motivation going. Why do you think that was? Same coach.

TCHOF
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Defensively, I think we need to address DL and CB more than LB. Not to say that LBs aren't important, but they are the least important part of our defense. We just need to get average there (just about all our LBs underwhelmed this season). If the DL improves its play, it'll make the LBs look a lot better.

I'd be surprised (kinda, sorta, not really) if we drafted RT early. I think they are still hoping that Brewer will be able to step up and take over that spot.

If Brewer plays at all next year we are in serious trouble. Diehl laughs at him.

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
It was plaguing him all season long. He missed a few practices because of it.

I mean, what, Nicks wasn't injured as well?
Bradshaw's feet weren't bothering him early in the season. It wasn't until after that two week stretch where he got like 60 carries (and over 300 yds) that his feet became an issue.

Again, with Nicks, hindsight is 20/20. How often did we hear Nicks say he finally felt like himself? I'm sure he seemed fine in the practices he was allowed to participate in/was able to convince the coaches that he was doing better than he was.

Drez
01-07-2013, 05:36 PM
2 of the last 3 seasons we missed the playoffs by one game. Last year we won the SB because our players were hungry for the championship & were highly motivated to win it all. This year they couldn't keep that motivation going. Why do you think that was? Same coach.
Yawn.

dave56dj
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
its clear we needed more grit - where is david eckstein on this team when you need him - grit and heart.

Oh and ab averaged 4.6 a game this year - real bad.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 06:41 PM
2 of the last 3 seasons we missed the playoffs by one game. Last year we won the SB because our players were hungry for the championship & were highly motivated to win it all. This year they couldn't keep that motivation going. Why do you think that was? Same coach.

I think you can easily turn this around to support Coughlin: since 2007, he's won 2 Super Bowls.

Imagine what Jerry Jones would give to have a guy like that coaching his team?

As far as motivation is concerned, Coughlin is 100% dedicated to winning....unfortunately, he's got some guys on his team that weren't hungry.

Last year, 9-7 was enough to get the Giants in.....this year, it wasn't. I think maybe some guys thought they could just flip a switch at the end of the season and magically transform back into a Super Bowl Championship team....but they were wrong.

Part of it had to do with the fact that some dudes were mentally checked-out.....it's tough to get those sorts of players back on target. Coughlin himself admitted he was utterly mystified as to how a team can practice well all week and then **** the bed in back-to-back weeks in huge games v. Atlanta and Baltimore.....that was the season, right there.

RoanokeFan
01-07-2013, 06:45 PM
I think you can easily turn this around to support Coughlin: since 2007, he's won 2 Super Bowls.

Imagine what Jerry Jones would give to have a guy like that coaching his team?

As far as motivation is concerned, Coughlin is 100% dedicated to winning....unfortunately, he's got some guys on his team that weren't hungry.

Last year, 9-7 was enough to get the Giants in.....this year, it wasn't. I think maybe some guys thought they could just flip a switch at the end of the season and magically transform back into a Super Bowl Championship team....but they were wrong.

Part of it had to do with the fact that some dudes were mentally checked-out.....it's tough to get those sorts of players back on target. Coughlin himself admitted he was utterly mystified as to how a team can practice well all week and then **** the bed in back-to-back weeks in huge games v. Atlanta and Baltimore.....that was the season, right there.

Interesting point. Imagine if everyone mentally appraoached the game as Rolle does.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Interesting point. Imagine if everyone mentally appraoached the game as Rolle does.

Yep....need more guys like that next season.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but that's something Jacobs had as well.....it sometimes drove him to lose his marbles, but the guy always was committed to the team.

RoanokeFan
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Yep....need more guys like that next season.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but that's something Jacobs had as well.....it sometimes drove him to lose his marbles, but the guy always was committed to the team.

I miss BJ in that regard.

mercurio
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I just believe he needs to get more aggressive/innovative in his play calling and utilize his players talents. Also give players other than Eli a chance to make up for mistakes without benching them. (Wilson/Barden)

Rusty192
01-07-2013, 08:24 PM

I think this is an excellent point, and should be at the top of the list when Reese and Coughlin huddle up in the offseason.

There were some critical points of the season this year when Wilson was overlooked, and I'd be shocked if Reese wasn't sitting upstairs and wondering why the **** they were running a journeyman like Kregg Lumpkin instead of his top draft pick.

Given what he did against New Orleans (basically winning the game).....I just don't understand the disconnect between Reese and the coaching staff this year.Except this situation is different in regards to Wilson because Sintim and Beckum sucked and did nothing for 3 years. Wilson has been phenomenal in his short playing time at RB and has looked like a stud doing it.

CDN_G-FAN
01-07-2013, 09:09 PM
for me, i don't know what the big hellfire rush is to get wilson in the game. i think he's got fantastic talent, but give the kid a year where he learns his role on this team as the coaching staff sees fit.

i see all these other backs mentioned at the beginning of this thread, none of their fellow QBs are at the level Eli is, and some of them have QBs that have had significant injury issues.

this coaching staff puts eli's protection at a premium, and i don't mind that one bit.

some guys would have played him more, some guys would have played him like we did. in these judgement calls if you can't trust the judgement of the coaching staff that won us 2 championships what's the point of keeping any coaching staff past any year where you fall short of expectations?

i don't get it. i don't like alot of what this HC does, but for god sakes at what point does the guy earn enough rope where we trust his call on stuff like this and don't have 20% of fan base intimating that he should be fired?

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
for me, i don't know what the big hellfire rush is to get wilson in the game. i think he's got fantastic talent, but give the kid a year where he learns his role on this team as the coaching staff sees fit.

i see all these other backs mentioned at the beginning of this thread, none of their fellow QBs are at the level Eli is, and some of them have QBs that have had significant injury issues.

this coaching staff puts eli's protection at a premium, and i don't mind that one bit.

some guys would have played him more, some guys would have played him like we did. in these judgement calls if you can't trust the judgement of the coaching staff that won us 2 championships what's the point of keeping any coaching staff past any year where you fall short of expectations?

i don't get it. i don't like alot of what this HC does, but for god sakes at what point does the guy earn enough rope where we trust his call on stuff like this and don't have 20% of fan base intimating that he should be fired?

Anyone calling for Coughlin to be fired is completely over the top......but I think criticism of the coaching staff - particularly the coordinators that Coughlin depends on - is warranted.

I think a first round draft pick should contribute quickly. And I look at those last 4 games, and I see him being leaned on in blowout wins v. the Saints and Eagles, and underutilized in blowout losses v. the Falcons and Ravens......that tells me that Reese was right to be high on Wilson. I wish Gilbride and Ingram shared their boss' opinion.....the Giants might still be playing.

Imgrate
01-07-2013, 10:34 PM
for me, i don't know what the big hellfire rush is to get wilson in the game. i think he's got fantastic talent, but give the kid a year where he learns his role on this team as the coaching staff sees fit.i see all these other backs mentioned at the beginning of this thread, none of their fellow QBs are at the level Eli is, and some of them have QBs that have had significant injury issues.this coaching staff puts eli's protection at a premium, and i don't mind that one bit.some guys would have played him more, some guys would have played him like we did. in these judgement calls if you can't trust the judgement of the coaching staff that won us 2 championships what's the point of keeping any coaching staff past any year where you fall short of expectations? i don't get it. i don't like alot of what this HC does, but for god sakes at what point does the guy earn enough rope where we trust his call on stuff like this and don't have 20% of fan base intimating that he should be fired?First round rbs are supposed to see the field. Otherwise you don't draft them in the first round