PDA

View Full Version : ONSIDE PUNT?

BeatTHEJETS
12-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Who else had no clue that was allowed?
Ive def never seen that before.

dave56dj
12-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Its a free kick you can do whatever you want with it.

dave56dj
12-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Speaking of not knowing rules Moose didnt know that after a jet touches a punted ball that a giant cant then lose possession for his team - always good when your announcers don't know the rules.

BeatTHEJETS
12-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Speaking of not knowing rules Moose didnt know that after a jet touches a punted ball that a giant cant then lose possession for his team - always good when your announcers don't know the rules.

Yeah but why did Chase Jump in there anyways like an idiot. What good could of came out of it?

Idkaname
12-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Yeah but why did Chase Jump in there anyways like an idiot. What good could of came out of it?
To try and get better field possession duh

BeatTHEJETS
12-24-2011, 05:53 PM

What field position? The ball already stopped moving and there was 5 jets around it. Why risk?

giantsforce
12-24-2011, 05:55 PM

What field position? The ball already stopped moving and there was 5 jets around it. Why risk?Because they sooo well coached!

KillaRich
12-24-2011, 05:59 PM
It shouldnt be allowed...giants got the safety and should have the right to return the kick

BeatTHEJETS
12-24-2011, 05:59 PM
It shouldnt be allowed...giants got the safety and should have the right to return the kick

thats what i thought...mafia maybe ahah?

DragonSoul
12-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Who else had no clue that was allowed?
Ive def never seen that before.Honestly I never knew that. I was wondering wtf were they doing. Guess thats what happens when you have never seen that before.

Medisleman
12-24-2011, 06:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/kickoff

It is legal. A freekick is a kickoff play so once it goes ten yards, it is up for grabs just like any kickoff.

dave56dj
12-24-2011, 06:02 PM
The rule on a free kick states you can kick it off punt it or try for an onsides - you're free to be upset but thats the rule.

BeatTHEJETS
12-24-2011, 06:05 PM
The rule on a free kick states you can kick it off punt it or try for an onsides - you're free to be upset but thats the rule.

if thats the rule then thats the rule...
but i wondor why no other teams have ever done it.

fizzlestick
12-24-2011, 06:13 PM
A team did it either last week or the week before. Don't remember who.

dave56dj
12-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Why would team do that - you are kicking from further back - normally the game is not over - and you aren't in desperation mode so you kick it off otherwise if you dont recover you are already giving up FG range tot he opposition. So on a saftey that occurs anywhere outside of the last 3 minutes of a game thats tight - why would you ever want to do it?

Sh0cker80
12-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Think of it as a defender jumping offside and the Giants throwing a hailmarry... at worst you have an encroachment call... at worst, on that punt, you have the ball marked on the same spot... It's a heads up move

Sh0cker80
12-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Think of it as a defender jumping offside and the Giants throwing a hailmarry... at worst you have an encroachment call... at worst, on that punt, you have the ball marked on the same spot... It's a heads up move

This post is for the people discussing the touched down/ muff punt pst

BrianK
12-24-2011, 07:48 PM

What field position? The ball already stopped moving and there was 5 jets around it. Why risk?THERE IS NO RISK!

dave56dj
12-24-2011, 07:54 PM
How is this post about a the punt? It's called ONSIDE Punt - I believe the op was referring to the onside kick after the safety which is usally a free kick which is usually a punt - and he didnt know you could onside it.

And as for your play - there was not muff punt - as soon as a jet touches it a giant cannot lose possession for his team.

ebick
12-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I never understood why teams don't kick off from the tee on a safety.

Roswell777
12-24-2011, 08:08 PM
I've been watching football 45+ years, always knew it was allowed, never saw it before today.

NYGRealityCheck
12-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Why would team do that - you are kicking from further back - normally the game is not over - and you aren't in desperation mode so you kick it off otherwise if you dont recover you are already giving up FG range tot he opposition. So on a saftey that occurs anywhere outside of the last 3 minutes of a game thats tight - why would you ever want to do it?

Perhaps the Jets took a page out of Gilbride's logic there. They were only down by 8 after the safety with timeouts... They should have just punted it off. It was pretty much over when they failed the onside punt with the Giants already in FG range. No reason to complain if the other team gives the game to you like that. Besides, when was the last time there was an onside punt off a safety?

jgrangers11
12-24-2011, 08:35 PM

What field position? The ball already stopped moving and there was 5 jets around it. Why risk?

Because there was no risk. Once a Jet touched it, the muff rule was moot. Why not try to pick it up and gain some yardage?

Sarcasman
12-24-2011, 08:44 PM

Because it's incredibly stupid and extremely low percentage?

And if you're the Jets and you don't recover it you essentially lose the game instead of kicking off to an offense that did next to nothing the whole game and getting a stop and the ball back down by 8 points.

Thank God they kicked it. I didn't trust the offense or the defense to either protect or hold the lead.

It's good to be the slightly less stupid and crappy team in town.

goonergiant
12-24-2011, 08:49 PM

On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee.

jgrangers11
12-24-2011, 09:16 PM

And if you're the Jets and you don't recover it you essentially lose the game instead of kicking off to an offense that did next to nothing the whole game and getting a stop and the ball back down by 8 points.

Thank God they kicked it. I didn't trust the offense or the defense to either protect or hold the lead.

They were down 8 with 2:13 left and 1 timeout. The best scenario for them was probably to get the ball back with 1:20 on their own 20 or 30 yard line. They probably did what any team would do.

NYGRealityCheck
12-24-2011, 09:39 PM

They were down 8 with 2:13 left and 1 timeout. The best scenario for them was probably to get the ball back with 1:20 on their own 20 or 30 yard line. They probably did what any team would do.

1:20 on their own 20/30 is enough time for any legit playoff team/offense to possibly score a TD with the 2-pt conversion after.

dave56dj
12-24-2011, 09:44 PM
NYG you are not reading the whole thread - originally it was asked if it was legal and i explained its a free kick so yes - Then someone asked why its not done more - i was explaining that it would never be done unless completely necessary as it almost was here - i wasn't complaining.

NYGRealityCheck
12-24-2011, 09:49 PM
NYG you are not reading the whole thread - originally it was asked if it was legal and i explained its a free kick so yes - Then someone asked why its not done more - i was explaining that it would never be done unless completely necessary as it almost was here - i wasn't complaining.

??? and i agree with you except i don't think it was absolutely necessary for the Jets case with the amount of time left. But who cares about them??? Giants won. Bottomline.

Nvm..that was not meant to be direct. I meant it more in a general sense like people shouldn't complain about free service, bears playing the packers hard last season to indirectly try to get the giants into the playoffs, etc...

ebick
12-24-2011, 10:51 PM

On a safety kick, the team scored upon puts ball in play by a punt, dropkick, or placekick without tee.

Thanks. I don't imagine there are too many guess who can drop kick :)

Sarcasman
12-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Ya lost me.

The best scenario you are describing would occur after a regular free kick, not an onside.

They did the opposite of the smart, higher percentage play.

TroyArcher
12-25-2011, 02:14 PM

I believe he can pick it up and run with it with no chance of losing possesion. Another stupin rule in the NFL. Right up there with the Tuck rule.

bearbryant
12-25-2011, 02:34 PM
When I saw him line up for the short punt I said WTF, is that legal? But, I don't get paid Millions to know the answer to that; these coaches do. Just another way that they always seem to be unprepared!

Firenugget
12-25-2011, 07:51 PM

if thats the rule then thats the rule...<u>
but i wondor why no other teams have ever done it.</u>

Because it's a freakin stupid idea lol. You just gave us 2 points and now you hand us the ball on the 20 (or wherever it ended up...)...<font color="#FF0000">Rex is a genius.</font>

dave56dj
12-27-2011, 09:01 PM
For anyone who cares what chase did was THE SMART MOVE - despite what other fans say - they simply dont know the ruies.

The ball is illegally touched by the jets so if a giant picks it up he can advance it with no fear of fumbling - b/c if he does the giants simply accept the penalty and take it from the 1 - the guy most confused - MOOSE - who thought the giants should stay away - one of them smart cowboys.