PDA

View Full Version : Positives for next season

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 08:34 AM
David Wilson: definitely expect a bigger role for him next year and I truly expect him to shock the rest of the league with his home run threat, I'm actually excited just thinking about next year because of this kid (knocking on wood he stays healthy)

Reuben Randle: another player who should have an expanded role in the offense, regardless of what we do with Hixon, who I think should also stay.

Nicks: God willing he recovers and plays atleast 14 games at 100%, that alone would be huge

... And of course, our draft picks and the first SB in NY, 2014 should be a good one boys!

NYGisBallin
01-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Having a 2-Time superbowl winning QB and Head Coach coming back are positives also.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 09:09 AM
If they stay healthy and Eli can rebound they should be much better. A RT and DE opposite JPP that can apply tons of pressure should have this team contending.

talbot
01-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I don't wanna be that guy, but screw it. Our schedule should be easier this upcoming season as well.

The secondary looks 100x better with a pass rush, so like Buddy said, another DE will help everyone look better.

Maybe after enough breakdown, Reese actually drafts an OL/MLB in the 1st/2nd rounds

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Also, hopefully they get all their tougher games in the first half so they can possibly avoid a second half collapse by playing easier teams in the second half.

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Having a 2-Time superbowl winning QB and Head Coach coming back are positives also.+1....that could never be bad

AllHailEli
01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
We take care of the division, and we should be good. I believe we are still the best team in the division, but we should really start owning it, stop letting these jokers beat us. Last season, they let Rex Grossman and Vince Young beat them. This season, they let the Eagles and the Redskins beat them because of stupid penalties.

Morehead State
01-07-2013, 09:36 AM
+1....that could never be bad
There are certainly many positives going forward...However, we have a core of players, many of whom are in decline and we really need to start addressing that. This team may be a few players away from being very good, but we are also a few players away from being 5-11.
We have concerns on the O and D lines, our LB'rs, injuries in the secondary etc.....
And its also very possible that the old formulas won't work anymore. It IS time for some changes. Not radical changes, but real changes nontheless.

titwio
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
I like Randle but the Giants need someone fast on the outside that really stretches the field. Rueben could be that guy but he lacks explosion. He has the size and frame but it would be great if he put in the work this offseason to be that real threat the Giants need over the top.

TuckandRolle
01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I like Randle but the Giants need someone fast on the outside that really stretches the field. Rueben could be that guy but he lacks explosion. He has the size and frame but it would be great if he put in the work this offseason to be that real threat the Giants need over the top.

People forget Nicks is that guy for us when he's healthy.

Morehead State
01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
I really think our WR corps is the best unit on the team. They are the least of my concerns. Ours is probably a top 5 WR unit in the league. And they are all young (except Hixon) as well.
I would really like to see an aggressive attempt to improve our O line in free agency. We are still a win now team, but our QB needs time to throw. He generally plays poorly when he has to improvise. I actually like the running backs and I do like our 2 young corners moving forward. D line and LB seem to be the biggest need on defense.

AllHailEli
01-07-2013, 09:45 AM
People forget Nicks is that guy for us when he's healthy.

Agree, that's Nicks.

NYGisBallin
01-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I really think our WR corps is the best unit on the team. They are the least of my concerns. Ours is probably a top 5 WR unit in the league. And they are all young (except Hixon) as well.
I would really like to see an aggressive attempt to improve our O line in free agency. We are still a win now team, but our QB needs time to throw. He generally plays poorly when he has to improvise. I actually like the running backs and I do like our 2 young corners moving forward. D line and LB seem to be the biggest need on defense.

O-Line, D-Line, and LBer. Those three positions get upgraded.. Look out folks.

titwio
01-07-2013, 09:49 AM

I agree about the WR corps overall but feel they were missing that Manningham threat over the top this year that kept defenses on their heels. I know Nicks was hurt for the majority but even when Eli had time to throw, he was still struggling when teams were doubling him and Cruz and Hixon didn't really blow the top off defenses down deep. It would be great if Randle became that real weapon down field for this team and improved in that aspect over this offseason.

Everything else you say I pretty much agree with...

Morehead State
01-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I agree about the WR corps overall but feel they were missing that Manningham threat over the top this year that kept defenses on their heels. I know Nicks was hurt for the majority but even when Eli had time to throw he was still struggling when teams were doubling him and Cruz and Hixon didn't really blow the top off defenses down deep. It would be great if Randle became that real weapon down field for this team and improved in that aspect over this offseason.

Everything else you say I pretty much agree with...

Our guys have shown that they can get past secondaries.
Cruz, Nicks, Randle is an awesome trio. Randle is definitely going to be a player.
That elusive "playmaker" in the back 7 is a real need. We have to hit on one of those guys for a change. We've been missing a lot in that regard.

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Both lines need help, and I hope FA and the draft addresses them. As far as LB's, we can definitely use help there but if our D-line can dominate again, it would be of greater help to us.

I think our offense with a great o-line can be a powerhouse again.

giantsfan420
01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
wilsons gonna become revered as a top 3 rb next yr. randle has a 1k yards receiving. we go 11-5, and the first home team in a SB ever

we'll add 2 quality OL, a quality DE, and quality LB.

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 12:40 PM
wilsons gonna become revered as a top 3 rb next yr. randle has a 1k yards receiving. we go 11-5, and the first home team in a SB ever

we'll add 2 quality OL, a quality DE, and quality LB.You're quiet the optimist....God forbid, some might call you the name of the father in the Simpsons family

giantsfan420
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
You're quiet the optimist....God forbid, some might call you the name of the father in the Simpsons familyi have no issue calling myself that. im a proud home of the nyg

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 12:46 PM
lol...well I hope you're right man. I can't remember the last time we had a top 3 RB in terms of total rush yards

beakybird
01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Gonna be an even tougher NFC East as I expect the 'Skins to do nothing but improve from here. Not to mention now that Reid is gone in Philly, I expect there to be a moderate turn around there as well. So it's not getting any easier in that regard.

But as was said, Randle and Wilson both seem to be big players moving forward. Love Randle's size and jumping ability. I think he will likely be groomed as a Nicks replacement in 2014. As much as I love Nicks, he can't stay healthy and it's always his feet and legs. That's never a good thing for a WR.

I think Stevie Brown was a bit of a revelation in the D backfield. Definitely seems to have the ballhawking skills that the Giants have lacked back there for years. Don't wanna overstate his value, but I think he was the biggest surprise of 2012 considering no one knew who he was.

I think the biggest positive would be giving Kevin Gilbride the boot. Giants playcalling lacks diversity and creativity. They really struggled in getting the ball in the hands of Cruz down the stretch. I'm sure Nicks' lack of health was an issue, but Cruz is by far the best offensive weapon they have.

Im sure JR will get this team patched up though and not waste picks during the draft. A few under the radar FA signings and they should be back in the playoffs. But the O-line really scares me moving forward.

Toadofsteel
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
RG3 took some nasty shots this season and i expect them to tone it down. Also, the skins don't pick until the 3rd round next year. As for the Eagles, they heavily courted Chip Kelly, who decided to just stay in oregon. So the Eagles aren't likely to have a top flight HC...

gmen0820
01-07-2013, 01:00 PM
If we can take care of our guys whose contracts are expiring, solidify our RT position in FA, and draft BPA I think we have as good a shot as anyone at making the SB. Let's not be like Dallas and miss the playoffs entirely when it's played in our home stadium LOL.

P_Simms_#11
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Agree, that's Nicks.

I thought his name was Hicks?

JJC7301
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
There are certainly many positives going forward...However, we have a core of players, many of whom are in decline and we really need to start addressing that. This team may be a few players away from being very good, but we are also a few players away from being 5-11.
We have concerns on the O and D lines, our LB'rs, injuries in the secondary etc.....
And its also very possible that the old formulas won't work anymore. It IS time for some changes. Not radical changes, but real changes nontheless.
+1. After SB 42, we were a young team (as far as I recall) with our stars on the rise. Now we're looking older.

I'd like to see the FO revamp the D on the run like BB did in NE.

titwio
01-07-2013, 07:22 PM
lol...well I hope you're right man. I can't remember the last time we had a top 3 RB in terms of total rush yards

Do you remember Tiki Barber...

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Do you remember Tiki Barber...Lol my point exactly....we could use another top RB in this league, and Wilson certainly has the potential to be that if all goes well

JB456
01-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Gonna be an even tougher NFC East as I expect the 'Skins to do nothing but improve from here. Not to mention now that Reid is gone in Philly, I expect there to be a moderate turn around there as well. So it's not getting any easier in that regard.

But as was said, Randle and Wilson both seem to be big players moving forward. Love Randle's size and jumping ability. I think he will likely be groomed as a Nicks replacement in 2014. As much as I love Nicks, he can't stay healthy and it's always his feet and legs. That's never a good thing for a WR.

I think Stevie Brown was a bit of a revelation in the D backfield. Definitely seems to have the ballhawking skills that the Giants have lacked back there for years. Don't wanna overstate his value, but I think he was the biggest surprise of 2012 considering no one knew who he was.

I think the biggest positive would be giving Kevin Gilbride the boot. Giants playcalling lacks diversity and creativity. They really struggled in getting the ball in the hands of Cruz down the stretch. I'm sure Nicks' lack of health was an issue, but Cruz is by far the best offensive weapon they have.

Im sure JR will get this team patched up though and not waste picks during the draft. A few under the radar FA signings and they should be back in the playoffs. But the O-line really scares me moving forward.

It looks like RGIII suffered an injury to his ACL and Reid was keeping the eagles competitive. AS for the Cowflops, lol

CDN_G-FAN
01-07-2013, 08:21 PM
those are alot of player positives.

i've got a unit positive.

takeaways. LOVED the takeaways. i still remember the days where we couldn't buy a INT or fumble recovery. Fewell's defense has some warts, and alot of them have to do with near zero passrush, but the takeaways have been fantastic. Steve Brown 2nd in the league in INTs. name the last player that did something like that for us.

mercurio
01-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Reese drafting the best available players.

egyptian420
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
those are alot of player positives.

i've got a unit positive.

takeaways. LOVED the takeaways. i still remember the days where we couldn't buy a INT or fumble recovery. Fewell's defense has some warts, and alot of them have to do with near zero passrush, but the takeaways have been fantastic. Steve Brown 2nd in the league in INTs. name the last player that did something like that for us.It's funny because many people on here predicted just that.

After Bill Sheridan ran this defense to the ground and we were interviewing Fewel, many people said he doesn't bring pressure and plays a ton of zone, but in Buffalo he had a pile of picks.

I'd like to think he brought more pressure in his first 2 years here, but this season was a disaster. I still put the majority of the blame on some DE's we have who did nothing but he still gets some part of the blame for rushing 3 at some crucial moments.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 08:36 PM
those are alot of player positives.i've got a unit positive.takeaways. LOVED the takeaways. i still remember the days where we couldn't buy a INT or fumble recovery. Fewell's defense has some warts, and alot of them have to do with near zero passrush, but the takeaways have been fantastic. Steve Brown 2nd in the league in INTs. name the last player that did something like that for us.Imagine how many turnovers they might have if they add another pass rushing DE opposite JPP. Honestly this defense could get a lot better by adding just a couple players. They are not that far off and where 12th in points allowed.

CDN_G-FAN
01-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Imagine how many turnovers they might have if they add another pass rushing DE opposite JPP. Honestly this defense could get a lot better by adding just a couple players. They are not that far off and where 12th in points allowed.

too many big plays and allowed too many yards on the ground.

with a new coach in philly who will almost certainly run the ball more than reid ever did, and with washington, if you can't stop the run, you won't make it out of this division.