PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Austin.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Is it possible that if he stays healthy he can contribute this season? Been supporting him since they drafted him, but starting to have some doubts. Would be nice if he could get it together and use his athletic ability on the field. He may have had to much time off though. He wasn't even hurt this year and when he was activated he didn't look very good.

giantsfan420
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
im not giving up on him. i knew going in he was gonna take a while bc he missed 2 yrs. the way i see it, he has the brute strength to be a force, and a low center of balance. hes physically built like a poor mans warren sapp. that cant be taken away. game shape, and technique can with time. he needs to get that back. the giants used him some vs philly i saw (if i saw correctly).

I think he can contribute next year, and be a servicable pass rushing DT. in 2 yrs, if all goes smooth, he could become a starter...but lets not fool ourselves, he could very well end up being released before next season too. im just remaining hopeful cuz thats how i roll

brad
01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
It was rare that anyone on the D line, young or old, hurt or not, looked very good. Makes me wonder if there was more too it than simply the players not performing.

Cloud57
01-07-2013, 08:55 PM
It was rare that anyone on the D line, young or old, hurt or not, looked very good. Makes me wonder if there was more too it than simply the players not performing.Players aren't motivated and that comes down to the coaches.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Is it possible that if he stays healthy he can contribute this season? Been supporting him since they drafted him, but starting to have some doubts. Would be nice if he could get it together and use his athletic ability on the field. He may have had to much time off though. He wasn't even hurt this year and when he was activated he didn't look very good.

No......he sucks. And I say this as someone who was thrilled when he was drafted.

I bought the hype, sucker that I am.....he's not NFL material.

Unfortunately, the Giants REALLY, REALLY, REALLY needed him to step up.....and the drive wasn't there. The dude got paid.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 09:03 PM
im not giving up on him. i knew going in he was gonna take a while bc he missed 2 yrs. the way i see it, he has the brute strength to be a force, and a low center of balance. hes physically built like a poor mans warren sapp. that cant be taken away. game shape, and technique can with time. he needs to get that back. the giants used him some vs philly i saw (if i saw correctly).

I think he can contribute next year, and be a servicable pass rushing DT. in 2 yrs, if all goes smooth, he could become a starter...but lets not fool ourselves, he could very well end up being released before next season too. im just remaining hopeful cuz thats how i roll

I think the Giants will pick up and UFA who will outplay Austin next year.

GameTime
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
so far he ahs shown next to nothing.....
I guess he will get another shot in training camp.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
so far he ahs shown next to nothing.....
I guess he will get another shot in training camp.

I'm watching Jesse Williams right now (Alabama)....holy ****, that dude is sick.

Cloud57
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
No......he sucks. And I say this as someone who was thrilled when he was drafted.

Unfortunately, the Giants REALLY, REALLY, REALLY needed him to step up.....and the drive wasn't there. The dude got paid.many players on this team get paid for not doing s***

Cloud57
01-07-2013, 09:10 PM
I'm watching Jesse Williams right now (Alabama)....holy ****, that dude is sick.I would trade the Giants defense for Alabama's defense right now.

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I would trade the Giants defense for Alabama's defense right now.

Williams benches 600 pounds according to the guys calling the game.

moosedrool
01-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Early in the year all I saw was his big butt getting pushed 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. Against Philly in week 17 he looked decent and had 2 tackles in 18 snaps. But he's an injury prone guy playing an injury prone position, so don't hold your breath.

Carter.525
01-07-2013, 09:23 PM
William Joseph 2.0..? I hope not

bearbryant
01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I would trade the Giants defense for Alabama's defense right now.

Please!

GameTime
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Players aren't motivated and that comes down to the coaches.

not totally.....you can lead a horse to water as they say....
The Giants have been very patient with him.....
Not a coaching issue IMO

bearbryant
01-07-2013, 09:32 PM
I'd like to know which scout got paid to write his assessment. How the hell does a guy come in with such a resume and fail so miserably. It wasn't even close

joemorrisforprez
01-07-2013, 09:33 PM
William Joseph 2.0..? I hope not

This.

giantsfan420
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd like to know which scout got paid to write his assessment. How the hell does a guy come in with such a resume and fail so miserably. It wasn't even close
dont make any mistake about that tho. he definitely was one of the most talented DTs in all of the NCAA. its not the scouts fault really. i could see how we made him the pick. Top 10 talent/potential who we can get in the 2nd, be patient, and have him be a factor.
I know theres plenty of reason to be disappointed, but lets not give up on him just yet...

ALLnygIN
01-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Guys this was his 1st year playing football in 2 years. Give him at least one more season... I can understand this season trying to get strength and adjusting to the speed of the game and all of that.... this season should offer us a better glimpse

giantsfan420
01-07-2013, 09:44 PM
thats my thinking allnygin. and i think 2 yrs from now is when we'll see his ceiling

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 10:32 PM
I'd like to know which scout got paid to write his assessment. How the hell does a guy come in with such a resume and fail so miserably. It wasn't even closeHe has all the physical tools. The problem is he had one year off in college and then got hurt last year. The problem is two years off may have been to much. He didn't look very good in his limited time p,yang this year. Not a great sign. Maybe if he can stay healthy throughout the summer and pre season he can do something.

DaKraken
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Consolidation year for Anchorman - he stayed healthy and practiced all year for the first time in a long time.

2013-14 season will define his future in the NFL. He will either show himself to be a player, or simply another athlete whose measurables outshine his production.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 10:49 PM
How great would it be if he did play good this year? Just trying to imagine if their problems cold be fixed brought the draft and if their current roster just plays better. A rotation of Canty, Joseph, and Austin controlling the middle while hey draft a DE to apply pressure. They already have a few nice young players in their secondary. Could probably use some depth.

Cloud57
01-07-2013, 10:52 PM
He has all the physical tools. The problem is he had one year off in college and then got hurt last year. The problem is two years off may have been to much. He didn't look very good in his limited time p,yang this year. Not a great sign. Maybe if he can stay healthy throughout the summer and pre season he can do something.how many more years are we gonna waste on this guy, there are many good and hungry DTs out there who would make the most of this opportunity and we have this guy wasting a roster spot.

Buddy333
01-07-2013, 10:54 PM
You realize he was hurt his first year causing to miss his second season of out all which may explain his poor play this year. So one year injured one year nothing's offer. Should he get another chance? Absolutely. Will he do anything with it? Have to see.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 08:49 AM

No.

ryan12
01-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Unfortunately, the Giants REALLY, REALLY, REALLY needed him to step up.....and the drive wasn't there. The dude got paid.

agreed he had oppurtunity to contribute and he **** the bed

ibbill
01-08-2013, 09:11 AM

why would they need to be motivated just earn your paycheck your only playing for 8 minutes a game. I understand what your saying but come on just do your job at 100% like the rest of us have to 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Only 8 minutes is all we ask

ALLnygIN
01-08-2013, 09:16 AM
I think some of you live in a fantasy world. Do you really expect a guy who hasn't played football in two years and never really played football in the NFL to come out and be the next Warren Sapp his first year back?

Lets be realistic. He hasn't played in two years. This was his first time playing in the NFL. It'll take time for him to get his physical abilities back up to snuff, his stanima, and all the other stuff that comes along with being an NFL player. If your going to write him off at least give the guy a proper chance. Sitting at home on the couch wandering about Marvin Austin each sunday and saying man this guy is a bust is not a fair assestment all things considering.

Drez
01-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm not giving up on him quite yet, but he's got to show something when camp starts.

Drez
01-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I disagree with that. A lot. Extrinsic motivation is fleeting at best. It has to come from within.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I think some of you live in a fantasy world. Do you really expect a guy who hasn't played football in two years and never really played football in the NFL to come out and be the next Warren Sapp his first year back?

Lets be realistic. He hasn't played in two years. This was his first time playing in the NFL. It'll take time for him to get his physical abilities back up to snuff, his stanima, and all the other stuff that comes along with being an NFL player. If your going to write him off at least give the guy a proper chance. Sitting at home on the couch wandering about Marvin Austin each sunday and saying man this guy is a bust is not a fair assestment all things considering.

I expected him to at least beat out a 7th round project with very limited football experience. Or to show up to mini camp in shape.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

No offense, but this statement could only come from someone who never played the game. If you played, you would know that very little of a player's motivation comes from their coaches . . . especially at the NFL level.

timmytimm3
01-08-2013, 11:07 AM
I wish Shawn Rogers stayed healthy this year. He could have been a force coming off the bench.

I haven't given up on Austin yet.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
I disagree with that. A lot. Extrinsic motivation is fleeting at best. It has to come from within.

Exactly......great coaches know how to push the right buttons when they need to jump start a player. But great players all have a motor that kicks in when that button is pushed.

I think Marvin Austin is a guy who had the physical tools to be a good college player without much effort. And so far in the NFL, I don't think he's stepped the effort up to match the jump in competition.

Maybe I'm wrong....I sure hope I am, because 2nd round busts set a team back....you really need your 1st and 2nd round guys to become solid starters...... that's one reason why the Giants are still struggling at LB (Sintim).

Drez
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Exactly......great coaches know how to push the right buttons when they need to jump start a player. But great players all have a motor that kicks in when that button is pushed.

I think Marvin Austin is a guy who had the physical tools to be a good college player without much effort. And so far in the NFL, I don't think he's stepped the effort up to match the jump in competition.

Maybe I'm wrong....I sure hope I am, because 2nd round busts set a team back....you really need your 1st and 2nd round guys to become solid starters...... that's one reason why the Giants are still struggling at LB (Sintim).
True. But, with Austin we're talking about a guy that hadn't played meaningful football in over 2 years (and there was no telling that he would have torn his pec and miss his rookie season). I'm willing to call this a working the rust off season. If he still struggles mightily during the preseason, then I'll start thinking he was a total miss.

Tony Bruno
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Wasted draft pick

jomo
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
No offense, but this statement could only come from someone who never played the game. If you played, you would know that very little of a player's motivation comes from their coaches . . . especially at the NFL level.That's the truth. Jerry Rice wasn't great because of superior athleticism, he was great because he was self motivated to improve himself in maniacal ways.

Makes me wonder why the Jets think the key to Sanchez improving as a quarterback is to bring in veteran comptition........silly Jets.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 02:38 PM
True. But, with Austin we're talking about a guy that hadn't played meaningful football in over 2 years (and there was no telling that he would have torn his pec and miss his rookie season). I'm willing to call this a working the rust off season. If he still struggles mightily during the preseason, then I'll start thinking he was a total miss.

I can understand why you would want to give him another season to show if there is anything there. A 2nd round pick deserves every chance to hopefully prove me wrong....but I think if he had anything in the tank, we should have seen it in 2012.

I'm guessing Coughlin is going to give him a chance to stay on the team next year, but nothing beyond that....he'll need to be healthy and productive next season.

primetime
01-08-2013, 02:47 PM
We're slim at the defensive tackle position. After Joseph and Canty we have slim pickings. Rocky Bernard was a nice player for us, great depth, but he's not the solution for the future. Kuhn was a bit of a suprise, nothing spectacular but a nice player to have at depth. And that leaves us what most of us thought was a steal in the 2nd round (Marvin Austin)

We all knew he didn't play his last year at NC, and then got hurt his rookie year in the preseason, so that's two years of not playing football. And what does he show for it when OTA's start in 2011? He's out of shape, not something I would think a high draft pick who hasn't played in 2 years would do. I think Giants staff will keep a sharp eye on him in training camp and pre-season, if he doesn't show any sort of ability that he show cased in college it might be the best option to release him and find a player who can. It wasn't a coincidence that our run defense got gashed all season up the middle.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
We're slim at the defensive tackle position. After Joseph and Canty we have slim pickings. Rocky Bernard was a nice player for us, great depth, but he's not the solution for the future. Kuhn was a bit of a suprise, nothing spectacular but a nice player to have at depth. And that leaves us what most of us thought was a steal in the 2nd round (Marvin Austin)

We all knew he didn't play his last year at NC, and then got hurt his rookie year in the preseason, so that's two years of not playing football. And what does he show for it when OTA's start in 2011? He's out of shape, not something I would think a high draft pick who hasn't played in 2 years would do. I think Giants staff will keep a sharp eye on him in training camp and pre-season, if he doesn't show any sort of ability that he show cased in college it might be the best option to release him and find a player who can. It wasn't a coincidence that our run defense got gashed all season up the middle.

Excellent point (bolded)....this is what turned me off to Austin.

You'd think that this guy would be in shape, and would have the playbook down cold. If I were sidelined a season, I'd be splitting time between rehabbing and the film room....I'd be in that facility every day trying to do something with my time.

I agree we don't have the guys to just cut Austin.....I'm expecting a new guy will outhustle him for his job next year. Or maybe Rocky Bernard goes.....in either case, I think the position will be upgraded in 2013.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Excellent point (bolded)....this is what turned me off to Austin.

You'd think that this guy would be in shape, and would have the playbook down cold. If I were sidelined a season, I'd be splitting time between rehabbing and the film room....I'd be in that facility every day trying to do something with my time.

I agree we don't have the guys to just cut Austin.....I'm expecting a new guy will outhustle him for his job next year. Or maybe Rocky Bernard goes.....in either case, I think the position will be upgraded in 2013.

Totally Agree. Showing up to mini camp out of shape was a huge red flag.

myles2424
01-08-2013, 02:59 PM
No offense, but this statement could only come from someone who never played the game. If you played, you would know that very little of a player's motivation comes from their coaches . . . especially at the NFL level.
Not exactly true...

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Of course there is. He was off the field for two years. He's got to be given some time to acclimate into the NFL.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Of course there is. He was off the field for two years. He's got to be given some time to acclimate into the NFL.

I've seen baby whales that were released quicker than this guy.

Time for chubbsy ubbsy to take off the training wheels and get after the QB.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Not exactly true...

How so?

Buddy333
01-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Of course there is. He was off the field for two years. He's got to be given some time to acclimate into the NFL.He has all the tools. Hoping that he can show them this year because they did draft him and they need help a the position. How great would it be to enter the season with a solid DT rotation? Get another DE to play opposite JPP and they have a good defense again. The DL will make all other units better if they get the QB again.

Buddy333
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Some make it sound like he has had so many opportunities. While its fair to have doubts because of the amount of time he missed, he is still young. He missed his first season in the pros because if injury. Add to that the other season he lost because of a suspension and you can see where the rust would come from.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I've seen baby whales that were released quicker than this guy.

Time for chubbsy ubbsy to take off the training wheels and get after the QB.

He'll have that chance this season

Cloud57
01-08-2013, 03:49 PM
He'll have that chance this seasonand the season after that.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 03:53 PM
and the season after that.

When we will be extolling his prowess as a pile driver :rolleyes:

moosedrool
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Give the guy one more year. If he has an impressive camp and doesn't get hurt, then he's a maybe. If he's just another guy or gets hurt again, then I'll switch over to the bust camp.

TuckandRolle
01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
One more year to prove himself wrong I'm thinking. Then....he's toast!

GiantRoc
01-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Right now I question his heart. He was picked up by a team that prided itself on Defense, and showed good faith after a year off in college. After the injury year, I would have hoped he came back in top shape ready to play. All we got was a new haircut. I am pulling for him as I do for all the Giant's players. I think the answer will come early on in training camp. In shape, on the ball and hungry for a starting position, is the key. Shows up balls-out or I lean toward bust.