PDA

View Full Version : he should be our new defensive captain

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Antrel Rolle(assuming we don't cut him,,which I don't see happening). He is fiery, outspoken, not afraid to get in someone's face, and nobody doubts how hard he plays and how much he cares for this team. This is no knock on Tuck, he has been a great player, and a great captain for the Giants. The problem is he is just as laid back as Eli. Our captains on both sides of the ball are laid back, play by example type players. Eli is lovingly known as "Easy" by many of us. There is Nothing wrong with that, but I think we could benefit from the combination of fire and ice. Would the Giants ever do that to tuck, probably not, but we really need some guys with a bad attitude(in a good way) on this team, specifically on D. Just my thoughts on moving forward.

giantsfan420
01-08-2013, 01:32 AM
i agree. just the one thing, is we actually have some nice, young talent, thats most importantly, cheap(er). if hes here next yr, which i believe will be the case, i agree 100% make him the captain on D and get that thang the **** away from tuck.

Cloud57
01-08-2013, 01:37 AM
I don't feel like anyone deserves to be defensive captain, but I guess someone has to be it.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
i agree. just the one thing, is we actually have some nice, young talent, thats most importantly, cheap(er). if hes here next yr, which i believe will be the case, i agree 100% make him the captain on D and get that thang the **** away from tuck.

it's not even getting it away from tuck,,it's firing up the D when it needs it, demanding nothing but excellence, showing emotion on the field,,,it will go a long way with this D, especially second half. and there is no doubt in my mind that if you put that C on trel's chest you will see big things.

Flip Empty
01-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Yep, Rolle actually leads. Tuck just seems to go about his own thing. I imagine Tuck will remain captain as long as he's on the team, though.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 02:11 AM
I understand your comments on Rolle, but I think being a captain also requires a maturity that I don't know if Rolle has.

Having said that, I always thought that Tuck was forced into the captain role.....I think he's a class act, but I don't think his personality is the best for what this team needs.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 02:22 AM
I understand your comments on Rolle, but I think being a captain also requires a maturity that I don't know if Rolle has.

Having said that, I always thought that Tuck was forced into the captain role.....I think he's a class act, but I don't think his personality is the best for what this team needs.

there's something about becoming the defensive captain that would bring the best out of rolle. it's time for achange on this team, something must be done.

BlueBlooded1979
01-08-2013, 02:41 AM
When Rolle said "You don't take **** from no one" last year it was like hearing the angels calling. I am very tired of this politically correct group of loafers tripping over their tampon strings to fluff their next opposing QB. "Soft" is the perfect descriptor for this defense. The scheme is soft, the players are soft, the coach, the effort and the results are soft. Watching Fewell laugh and joke like ****** while getting blown out was nauseating. I would have not considered it an overreaction if TC fired him on the spot.
Rolle is good player but nowhere near a great player. He has that "dog" in him though. It is that nasty, defiant, punch you in the mouth atitude that every great defense needs a few of. In 2007 AP and Strahan had it, before them guys like Armstead had it. Rolle brought it last year and it permeated through the defense towards the end of the season. In the superbowl game I saw Aaron Ross make three of the best tackles in his career and thought I was watching tape from 2007.
I wouldn't consider Rolle an ideal leader but he is exactly what this group needs for 2013, If they pick up a fiery young defender in this draft he can eventually take the regins himself.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 04:23 AM
When Rolle said "You don't take **** from no one" last year it was like hearing the angels calling. I am very tired of this politically correct group of loafers tripping over their tampon strings to fluff their next opposing QB. "Soft" is the perfect descriptor for this defense. The scheme is soft, the players are soft, the coach, the effort and the results are soft. Watching Fewell laugh and joke like ****** while getting blown out was nauseating. I would have not considered it an overreaction if TC fired him on the spot.
Rolle is good player but nowhere near a great player. He has that "dog" in him though. It is that nasty, defiant, punch you in the mouth atitude that every great defense needs a few of. In 2007 AP and Strahan had it, before them guys like Armstead had it. Rolle brought it last year and it permeated through the defense towards the end of the season. In the superbowl game I saw Aaron Ross make three of the best tackles in his career and thought I was watching tape from 2007.
I wouldn't consider Rolle an ideal leader but he is exactly what this group needs for 2013, If they pick up a fiery young defender in this draft he can eventually take the regins himself.

exactly,,and in regards to rolle...he is a 1st round talent who plays out of position quite frequently. his worth to this team can not be measured, most people don't realize it.

Captain Chaos
01-08-2013, 05:38 AM
Rolle will have to restructure to stay...

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Rolle will have to restructure to stay...

I have a good feeling he will indeed.

M00KIE
01-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Sounds about right to me. Although sometimes I hate his mouth, at least he actually has one.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Good points, and I do like his fire, but like I mentioned, I don't know about his maturity level. Sometimes it's not only what you say, but what you don't say.

Regardless, I'm happy that the Giants players pick their captains, unlike the Jets....it's one reason why the Jets are a ****ing zoo every season.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Good points, and I do like his fire, but like I mentioned, I don't know about his maturity level. Sometimes it's not only what you say, but what you don't say.

Regardless, I'm happy that the Giants players pick their captains, unlike the Jets....it's one reason why the Jets are a ****ing zoo every season.

I think you are just nit picking now,,Rolle would be perfect as team captain and would take his role seriously, he actually cares and wants to win..

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 03:33 PM
I think you are just nit picking now,,Rolle would be perfect as team captain and would take his role seriously, he actually cares and wants to win..

I don't think I'm nitpicking. Rolle has said a few things as a Giant that I don't really agree with. It doesn't mean I don't like him.....I think he's got the fire and swagger the team needs.....I just don't think he'd be the best fit as a captain.

Tuck is the guy the players selected....they know alot more about team chemistry than I do.

Personally, I'd rather have JPP over Rolle as the captain.

jomo
01-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I like the guy but am uncomfortable with our captain saying some dumb things on occasion.........a bit too much of a loose cannon for my tastes.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
I like the guy but am uncomfortable with our captain saying some dumb things on occasion.........a bit too much of a loose cannon for my tastes.

many players say stupid things on occasion,,I think putting the C on his chest would eradicate that....buy your comfortable with a defensive captain that shows no fire or heart, and does not motivate the D what so ever??

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 03:49 PM
many players say stupid things on occasion,,I think putting the C on his chest would eradicate that....buy your comfortable with a defensive captain that shows no fire or heart, and does not motivate the D what so ever??

I'm glad the players decide it.....I like Rolle alot, but I also liked Jacobs. But sometimes the fire and swagger can misfire. A good captain solves issues, and avoids making negative headlines.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm glad the players decide it.....I like Rolle alot, but I also liked Jacobs. But sometimes the fire and swagger can misfire. A good captain solves issues, and avoids making negative headlines.

doesnt everyone deserve a chance? rolle isnt jacobs by any stretch.

moosedrool
01-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Why would you make a guy who frequently takes bad angles and is awful in pass coverage a captain? Captains need to lead with their play and their mouth. Rolle just has the mouth.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
doesnt everyone deserve a chance? rolle isnt jacobs by any stretch.

If the Giants players vote him the "C", I wouldn't have an issue at all......I think they are best-positioned to judge.

Based on what I've heard him say in the media, I think he's a stand-up guy, and a leader.....but not "the man". The most outspoken dude on a team is not necessarily the guy that other pros want as their captain.

Looking back at great Giants players, a guy like George Martin is someone who comes to mind when I think of the type of guy that would make a great captain.....that's a dude who didn't spout off, but when he had something to say, people listened up.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 12:46 AM
If the Giants players vote him the "C", I wouldn't have an issue at all......I think they are best-positioned to judge.

Based on what I've heard him say in the media, I think he's a stand-up guy, and a leader.....but not "the man". The most outspoken dude on a team is not necessarily the guy that other pros want as their captain.

Looking back at great Giants players, a guy like George Martin is someone who comes to mind when I think of the type of guy that would make a great captain.....that's a dude who didn't spout off, but when he had something to say, people listened up.

those teams didnt have second half collapses year after year, and george martin played in a different era, the players were different, the attitudes were different. this team, especially the D, needs an in your face kinda guy. Trel spouts off because no one else will,,including Tuck.

bearbryant
01-09-2013, 03:12 AM
At times Rolle says very inciteful statements, usuallyright on point. But just because a player identifies day to day issues around a lockerroom doesn't qualify him to be a captain. I do like his feisty, in your face attitude however he really needs to practice what he preaches about how to play with intensity, consistency and terrific execution. Sometimes he fails to deliver on many of the issues he critiques us on. I'd prefer JPP, if we were to choose a captain on todays team

Toadofsteel
01-09-2013, 03:20 AM
I think Rolle is a bit too much of a loose cannon to be named Captain. I'd rather have someone like Blackburn who, despite his slightly decreased talent compared to other guys on our defense, gives 110% effort every damn time. He gets fired up way better than Tuck ever did, but at the same time he's not about to fly off the handle like Rolle is known to do. Aside from that, the fact that Blackburn has the best football intelligence of anyone playing defense for us (indeed, he's often our defensive signal-caller), naming him captain would hopefully help to make the most of that intelligence...

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Why would you make a guy who frequently takes bad angles and is awful in pass coverage a captain? Captains need to lead with their play and their mouth. Rolle just has the mouth.

do you understand that rolle frequently plays out of position? who doesnt blow coverages in this league? plus he is a hell of a run stopper,,but this aside,,you obviously missed the point of the post.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 04:12 AM
At times Rolle says very inciteful statements, usuallyright on point. But just because a player identifies day to day issues around a lockerroom doesn't qualify him to be a captain. I do like his feisty, in your face attitude however he really needs to practice what he preaches about how to play with intensity, consistency and terrific execution. Sometimes he fails to deliver on many of the issues he critiques us on. I'd prefer JPP, if we were to choose a captain on todays team

that makes sense,,,another nonvocal leader. the entire D played horrible this year. rolle is one of our most consistent play makers..like him or not.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 04:13 AM
I think Rolle is a bit too much of a loose cannon to be named Captain. I'd rather have someone like Blackburn who, despite his slightly decreased talent compared to other guys on our defense, gives 110% effort every damn time. He gets fired up way better than Tuck ever did, but at the same time he's not about to fly off the handle like Rolle is known to do. Aside from that, the fact that Blackburn has the best football intelligence of anyone playing defense for us (indeed, he's often our defensive signal-caller), naming him captain would hopefully help to make the most of that intelligence...

once again,,missed the point of the post.