PDA

View Full Version : Rank the players/coaches that you think impacted the Giants season the most.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 01:31 PM
If I had to come up with a list of players and/or coaches that had the greatest impact on the Giants missing the playoffs, this would be a rough ranking, from 1-10.

1) Tuck - sea change in performance....he helped pull the defense out in 2011, but disappeared this year; no fire or passion at all on field.
2) Osi - much like Tuck. Also, very poor gap discipline helped lose that Philly game.
3) Webster - too many huge plays, kept a suspect defense on the field.
4) Marvin Austin - needed to step up, never did.
5) Diehl - love the guy, but his body is starting to betray him.
6) Fewell - didn't adjust his scheme when the pass rush was ineffective. 3rd down calls were too timid. Not enough press coverage.
7) Gilbride - never got the memo that a 50% healthy Bradshaw was not their best weapon on the ground.
8) Nicks - injuries robbed the offense of half of its 1/2 big play punch.
9) Boley - went from stud in 2011 to just another fast linebacker in 2012.
10) Coughlin - His loyalty to players and coaches became a liability this year when some of them just mailed it in. Too much latitude given to Gilbride and Fewell. Some questionable decisions, especially at the end of that 1st Philly game.

SPECIAL GUEST: Jerry Reese......failed to upgrade linebacker and offensive line.

I'm sure I'll look back on this and edit it.

Feel free to respond, or post your own list (it doesn't have to be 10....do whatever you want).

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 01:35 PM
I would just put the whole defensive line to be honest.

Drez
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I can't believe that you're singling out Austin who hadn't played a meaningful down of football in over 2 years.

In fact, our personnel decisions were geared towards the FO/coaching staff not thinking he was going to contribute much... We drafted a DT (granted late) and signed a FA DT in Shaun Rogers who would have taken a lot of the sub snaps at DT and resigned Bernard.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I can't believe that you're singling out Austin who hadn't played a meaningful down of football in over 2 years.

Austin was supposed to help anchor the interior.....he clearly has not lived up to the billing.

Drez
01-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Austin was supposed to help anchor the interior.....he clearly has not lived up to the billing.
I don't think that was the thought coming into this season. Not by the coaching staff at least. How could you expect a guy who's never played in the NFL and hadn't played in 2 years to come right in an anchor the line? That might've been the thought when we drafted him, that by year 2 he'd be ready to help anchor the middle, but not after such a layoff. Also, see my edited reply.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I don't think that was the thought coming into this season. Not by the coaching staff at least. How could you expect a guy who's never played in the NFL and hadn't played in 2 years to come right in an anchor the line? That might've been the thought when we drafted him, that by year 2 he'd be ready to help anchor the middle, but not after such a layoff. Also, see my edited reply.

Whether its attitude or simply bad luck (injury), Austin's on my list because he was drafted to be an impact player, and hasn't delivered. It might be a different story if he were a walk-on....but he was a high pick. 2nd round guys need to contribute (Strahan, Tiki, Steve Smith, etc).

I've got some guys on the list who I think are great Giants: Tuck, Nicks, Diehl, Coughlin, Reese.

I'm not slamming any of them personally, but just pointing out who, in my opinion, didn't have the sort of season needed in order to get back into the playoffs.

Drez
01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Whether its attitude or simply bad luck (injury), Austin's on my list because he was drafted to be an impact player, and hasn't delivered. It might be a different story if he were a walk-on....but he was a high pick. 2nd round guys need to contribute (Strahan, Tiki, Steve Smith, etc).

I've got some guys on the list who I think are great Giants: Tuck, Nicks, Diehl, Coughlin, Reese.

I'm not slamming any of them personally, but just pointing out who, in my opinion, didn't have the sort of season needed in order to get back into the playoffs.
In that case then you had extremely unrealistic expectations of what Austin was going to be able to bring to the table this season.

I'll agree with you if he still sucks it up next season, though.

BuffyBlueII
01-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Our OC and his game planning was awful. He needs to go.

Our defensive line played under par and didn't even show up most of the time.

Perry Fewell failed to adjust throughout the season.

Eli Manning is the player that effected us the most. Poor decisions cost us games and he really needed to step up and lead this season and he didn't. Regardless of the bad play calling and lack of motivation by some of the players, in the end this team goes how Eli goes.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
In that case then you had extremely unrealistic expectations of what Austin was going to be able to bring to the table this season.

I'll agree with you if he still sucks it up next season, though.

I really hope he busts out and I eat crow next season.

But I'll stand by my opinion that a 2nd round pick should start and contribute.....I cited examples (Strahan, Tiki, Steve Smith) of guys were were major impact players picked in the 2nd round.

He was out of college a year because of violations, he was injured last year, and this year, he was healthy but a complete non-factor. In my opinion, he's out of excuses

BuffyBlueII
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM

But I'll stand by my opinion that a 2nd round pick should start and contribute.....I cited examples (Strahan, Tiki, Steve Smith) of guys were were major impact players picked in the 2nd round.

He was out of college a year because of violations, he was injured last year, and this year, he was healthy but a complete non-factor. In my opinion, he's out of excuses

I expected a lot more from him this season too.

Drez
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM

How many of the guys on your list missed two years of football, though?

I believe you had unrealistic expectation of what he was going to bring to the table this season. Now, as I've said, if he plays like crap next season then I'll be down on him. But, you have to give the guy some time to get back into football shape/mindset and knock the rust loose.

joemorrisforprez
01-08-2013, 03:56 PM
How many of the guys on your list missed two years of football, though?

I believe you had unrealistic expectation of what he was going to bring to the table this season. Now, as I've said, if he plays like crap next season then I'll be down on him. But, you have to give the guy some time to get back into football shape/mindset and knock the rust loose.

There's another Marvin Austin thread that has some good comments on him. As one poster noted, how many guys miss that much time and then finally report back, out of shape?.....that was a major flag for me. This the NFL, not a beer softball league.

I'll agree that a 2nd round pick needs to get as long a look as possible. But I'm pretty convinced that he's not the solution I was hoping for at DT.