PDA

View Full Version : tape on herz?

ELIte4MVP
01-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Anyone who cuts game tape have anything on herzlich? I noticed an increase in playing time at the end of the season but was unable to truly watch his individual play. Any help would be great

moosedrool
01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone who cuts game tape have anything on herzlich? I noticed an increase in playing time at the end of the season but was unable to truly watch his individual play. Any help would be great

I don't have any tape, but I reviewed many of his plays while rewatching games. In a nutshell, he frequently is half a step slow, and when he is in position to make a tackle he doesn't make the tackle. RB's easily break free of what amounts to arm tackle attempts because he is a step slow. He is not a starting MLB.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 05:14 PM
I'll save you the time - he was awful.

ELIte4MVP
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't have any tape, but I reviewed many of his plays while rewatching games. In a nutshell, he frequently is half a step slow, and when he is in position to make a tackle he doesn't make the tackle. RB's easily break free of what amounts to arm tackle attempts because he is a step slow. He is not a starting MLB.

Would the half step slow and missed tackles be attributed to his lack of game reps/ experience or more to his overall skill set? Just curious how he will be handled next year. Thanks bud

moosedrool
01-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Would the half step slow and missed tackles be attributed to his lack of game reps/ experience or more to his overall skill set? Just curious how he will be handled next year. Thanks bud

Overall athletic ability. He just isn't good enough.

ELIte4MVP
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
Overall athletic ability. He just isn't good enough.

Gotcha thanks for the input

GameTime
01-08-2013, 05:42 PM
lets put it this way...many think Chase Blackburn is below average...Herz has shown less then Chase....

myles2424
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
lets put it this way...many think Chase Blackburn is below average...Herz has shown less then Chase....
This sums it up nicely, he's no blackburn, & even with that said, blackburn is not a starting caliber MLB...

GameTime
01-08-2013, 05:49 PM
This sums it up nicely, he's no blackburn, & even with that said, blackburn is not a starting caliber MLB...

I dont dislike the guy maybe he just needs another season.......

moosedrool
01-08-2013, 06:33 PM

Don't kid yourself. It's was his second season, he wasn't injured, and he showed absolutely nothing.

KidA
01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I hate to say it, but all the things being said in this thread are correct.

He looked bad out there.

I really wanted him to regain his college form and become a monster in the middle for us, but I just don't think that's going to happen.

drewz
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
He missed tackles, even when he got in good position he was couldn't make the play..

DaKraken
01-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I'll save you the time - he was awful.

LOL - Agree

M00KIE
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
I found the tape...- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLu7l_ZUJY

fightngiant
01-08-2013, 10:49 PM
I found the tape...- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLu7l_ZUJY

herzlich a real fish out of water

bearbryant
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM
I had high hopes for him, than the season started. So much for the hopes!

myles2424
01-08-2013, 11:27 PM
I think that'd be too generous....IMO Blackburn is easily upgradable...Herz,great guy,great story, no room for him though...

BROADWAYSTORM
01-08-2013, 11:47 PM
He is not slow. He overpursues and he is weak. He is not a middle linebacker. He has enough athleticism but does not use it well against the run and is frequently out of position. Most of all though he is not strong. He needs to get much stronger or he won't make it. He is also a weakside linebacker really. Or a Sam in our scheme but definitely not a middle linebacker who can hit holes hard. I don't know what the person who said he was a step slow was watching. If anything he was way too aggressive. He is right about the arm tackling though. Just horrid tackling which is the most important thing in a linebacker.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
herzlich should be gone next season,,it's just not there anymore.

moosedrool
01-09-2013, 12:06 AM
I don't know what the person who said he was a step slow was watching. If anything he was way too aggressive..

What games were you watching? Herzlich not slow? Rewatch the games.

And if you look at his pro day results you will see he ran a 4.96 40 yard dash on 3/23/11 and a 4.91 at the combine.

A few MLB's 40 times at their pro day.

Sean Lee 4.60
Demeco Ryans 4.66
Patrick Willis 4.37

Still think he's not slow?

giantsfan420
01-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I'll save you the time - hes a young player still getting back to his form pre cancer. fixed. i aint giving up on herz either fwiw...i believe theres a chance he could be a solid player. he has the needed lateral movement to get into coverage, its just he often is in the wrong spot. he'll get there imo

Captain Chaos
01-09-2013, 05:00 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has been seeing the same thing. We need someone new in the middle!

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Patience with Herz, MLB is a hard position to play.. I think he can get the job done.

Jahh
01-09-2013, 07:47 AM
We need to bite the bullet and draft an early LB. Ogletree!

PBTimmons
01-09-2013, 08:16 AM
I've said it in other threads but Herzlich is the second coming of Blackburn, athletically. Ultimately he is 4 years fresher than Blackburn but lacks the experience in comparison. He could be just as good of a starter as Blackburn but needs to see the field.

Despite that, giants need to upgrade.

slipknottin
01-09-2013, 08:36 AM
fixed. i aint giving up on herz either fwiw...i believe theres a chance he could be a solid player. he has the needed lateral movement to get into coverage, its just he often is in the wrong spot. he'll get there imo

I hate this argument. You are predicting the guy have incredible advances in his athleticism. What have you seem to indicate that to be true?

The argument that he once had it so he will get it back is just nonsense. That's like saying if ray Lewis gives it time he can go back into being the 22 year old force he once was. It just doesn't work that way.

If herzlich now looked far more athletic than he did at the senior bowl or combine maybe you would have an argument. But he looks exactly the same. That was two years ago now.

giantsfan420
01-09-2013, 10:29 AM
I hate this argument. You are predicting the guy have incredible advances in his athleticism. What have you seem to indicate that to be true?

The argument that he once had it so he will get it back is just nonsense. That's like saying if ray Lewis gives it time he can go back into being the 22 year old force he once was. It just doesn't work that way.

If herzlich now looked far more athletic than he did at the senior bowl or combine maybe you would have an argument. But he looks exactly the same. That was two years ago now.i can see u hate it but u attribute it incorrectly here. im not arguing that at all. im merely stating a legitimate claim. herz is still a young player trying to get back to form pre cancer. that doesnt mean he will or wont succeed. imo, i think he can get there but by no means am i pretending like its fact or that "he will have incredible advances..." musta sleep typed that bc i cant find where i claimed that anywhere.

njg85m
01-09-2013, 10:51 AM
lets put it this way...many think Chase Blackburn is below average

Which is ridiculous.

njg85m
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Very simply, he doesn't appear to have fully recovered from the cancer that he suffered from.
He's an amazing kid, and seems to have tremendous desire, but he doesn't have the explosiveness and speed that he had his Junior year at BC when he was already projected to be a late 1st round pick.

It's really a shame. Cancer sucks.

radar-ray
01-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Herzlich stinks.

Jahh
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Which is ridiculous.

ridiculous to think chase is below average? As evidenced by what? The fact that no team signed him last year until we had no choice.

TCHOF
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Which is ridiculous.
No, it is true.

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 10:59 AM
No, it is true.

That chase is below average?

njg85m
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
ridiculous to think chase is below average? As evidenced by what? The fact that no team signed him last year until we had no choice.

No, it is true.

Player 1

Games played - 15
Combined tackles - 98
Tackles - 64
Assisted tackles - 34
Sacks - 3.0
Forced Fumbles - 5
Fumble Recoveries - 0
INT's - 1
Passes Defended - 6
Stuffs - 3
Stuff yards - 8

Player 2

Games played - 16
Combined tackles - 120
Tackles - 88
Assisted tackles - 32
Sacks - 0.5
Forced Fumbles - 2
Fumble Recoveries - 1
INT's - 2
Passes Defended - 9
Stuffs - 5
Stuff yards - 10

Heres the game. Guess which one is the terribly inept, below average, slow Chase Blackburn and which one is the Godlike 2013 Probowler Patrick Willis?

TCHOF
01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
That chase is below average?

Yes.

TCHOF
01-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Player 1

Games played - 15
Combined tackles - 98
Tackles - 64
Assisted tackles - 34
Sacks - 3.0
Forced Fumbles - 5
Fumble Recoveries - 0
INT's - 1
Passes Defended - 6
Stuffs - 3
Stuff yards - 8

Player 2

Games played - 16
Combined tackles - 120
Tackles - 88
Assisted tackles - 32
Sacks - 0.5
Forced Fumbles - 2
Fumble Recoveries - 1
INT's - 2
Passes Defended - 9
Stuffs - 5
Stuff yards - 10

Heres the game. Guess which one is the terribly inept, below average, slow Chase Blackburn and which one is the Godlike 2013 Probowler Patrick Willis?

Who said Chase in inept?

njg85m
01-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Who said Chase in inept?

It's called sarcasm.
Calling him below-average is insane. This whole bizarre romance that half of this board has with the guy being everything from below-average to downright terrible is continuously proven wrong by his actual performance, his numbers, and if nothing else the coaches who routinely praise him as one of our most valuable players.

Martyr
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Bottom line Herzlich hasnt looked very good when hes been put in the line up. Hes in the last year of his undrafted rookie contract so its on him to make the team and show what he has.

How do these threads turn into a Chase Blackburn thread all the time?

TCHOF
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM
It's called sarcasm.
Calling him below-average is insane. This whole bizarre romance that half of this board has with the guy being everything from below-average to downright terrible is continuously proven wrong by his actual performance, his numbers, and if nothing else the coaches who routinely praise him as one of our most valuable players.

Not really. The people who think Chase is some great player don't really know a lot about football and base their assessments entirely upon the number of INT's and fumble recoveries. If you actually watch him play, you would see that he is a limited, below average player at the MLB position, who has more bad plays than good during the course of a game.

That being said, I wish that every player on this team played as hard as Chase.

TuckandRolle
01-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Too small and too slow. Is not the answer.

moosedrool
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Anybody who thinks Chase is a good MLB or Herz will become a good MLB most likely became a Giant fan after Harry Carson retired.

Just watch Carson's first play in this video. Sheds the blocker AND stuffs the RB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8L4Xozuon0

When have you ever seen Chase or Herz do that?