PDA

View Full Version : One Legit Reason I miss Shockey

MikeSherrard
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't miss Shockey. He was a pin in the arss

BUT.........

If you ask me, this team could use some fire, personality and a a bit of attitude on offense...other then Bradshaw the offense is comprised of a multitude of laid back personalities. I love Eli, Cruz, Nicks and Snee and their unhurried demeanor is also a great quality and attribute. I just feel that you need to balance that "relaxed" with some more hungry/vocal presence.

-JD

PennState1
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
It's true for both sides of the ball

M00KIE
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
That's not a legit reason. Shockey wasn't just a rah-rah fiery guy. He was a tumor who whined and complained and then went out and dropped balls and laughed it off.

CDN_G-FAN
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
the team needs the right kind of attitude.

it's the attitude of "get in line, do your job on and off the field, or you're letting us all down and we don't need you here".

i don't think that was shockey's attitude.

CDN_G-FAN
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
That's not a legit reason. Shockey wasn't just a rah-rah fiery guy. He was a tumor who whined and complained and then went out and dropped balls and laughed it off.

when shockey left i watched alot (well, like 6) Saints games to see what shockey was like with what everyone considered as a much better QB than Eli.

Brees damn near killed shockey that year. Never saw a QB yell at a receiver so much in my life.

M00KIE
01-08-2013, 07:13 PM
when shockey left i watched alot (well, like 6) Saints games to see what shockey was like with what everyone considered as a much better QB than Eli.

Brees damn near killed shockey that year. Never saw a QB yell at a receiver so much in my life.

I seem to remember Brees grabbing him by his facemask and yelling at him at one point.

CDN_G-FAN
01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I seem to remember Brees grabbing him by his facemask and yelling at him at one point.

LOL

at one point times 100.

TCHOF
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM

+1

PennState1
01-09-2013, 12:52 AM
I think you guys missed the point of his post. He said he was a pain in the *** but liked his fired up mentality. He showed emotion on the field. He is not saying he misses the guy justs wants more passion and positive emotion from the guys we have...right?

dave56dj
01-09-2013, 12:58 AM
for sure - while we won with a an even keeled Eli (who most said never had an ounce of leadership in him) what we really need is a blowhard who cant keep his emotions in check in an extremely emotional game. Emotion is overrated - playing the game well is not.

Toadofsteel
01-09-2013, 01:26 AM
I think you guys missed the point of his post. He said he was a pain in the *** but liked his fired up mentality. He showed emotion on the field. He is not saying he misses the guy justs wants more passion and positive emotion from the guys we have...right?

No I think the OP wanted everyone on the team to be jackasses

BurnerNYG
01-09-2013, 01:44 AM
True but I also thought Burress brought toughness to the team. We won a Superbowl with Plax and Boss, Shockey was up in the booth with a broken leg. Shockey was the spark we needed for the Fassel Giants but Plax was the spark for the early Coughlin Giants. It's obvious by how we fell flat on our faces in 08 after he shot himself.

dave56dj
01-09-2013, 03:58 AM
That was due to the production of a very good receiver, not spark or emotion - he was eli's Number one and once he lost that eli lost his best security blanket and really didnt have the time to adjust to the lesser weapons.

BurnerNYG
01-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Plax brought attitude to our receiving corps. Toomer and Hilliard were humble guys all those years. What Plax did in the NFC Championship game was a thing of beauty. He wasn't afraid to run down the field and block whoever neither.

BurnerNYG
01-09-2013, 04:48 AM
That was due to the production of a very good receiver, not spark or emotion - he was eli's Number one and once he lost that eli lost his best security blanket and really didnt have the time to adjust to the lesser weapons.How about that comeback against Philly a few years back? Who caught the winning pass and yelled into the crowd? We use to own Philly when Plax was here.

M00KIE
01-09-2013, 07:54 AM

Yeah but he showed the wrong emotion. Throwing a mini tantrum everytime you don't get the ball isn't helpful. Especially when you get a chance and drop it.

*edit- Actually I'll give the OP and you this... In his first couple years here, I'd take that Shockey, hands down. But definitely not the guy he turned into.

Kruunch
01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
I miss the passion but not the immaturity.

Shockey walked it like he talked it though ... the only reason I have even a little bit of respect for him.

Harooni
01-09-2013, 08:44 AM
the team has taken on the laid back "easy"personality of its QB.

GCGiant
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
the team has taken on the laid back "easy"personality of its QB.

They've also taken 2 rings home with them...

Harooni
01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
They've also taken 2 rings home with them... agreed, it pays off to keep cool espcially during the fourth qtr. but it is a double edged sword, when down big there is this lack of urgency.

fansince69
01-09-2013, 09:11 AM
They've also taken 2 rings home with them...This may be true...but...I think the point of this post is there is fire missing and although I agree Shocky did have that fire and passion it was often misplaced....I honestly think Jacobs brought that fire to the teams that won rings....Although they clearly have replaced his production(let's face it ...it was becoming less and less) they have failed to replace the fire and the passion he brought to this team. Several posters have pointed out that talent wins games....this is true....but in a league of parity...the difference between 2 good teams is passion, fire and who wants it the most....that is what seems to be missing from this team in my opinion

GCGiant
01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
This may be true...but...I think the point of this post is there is fire missing and although I agree Shocky did have that fire and passion it was often misplaced....I honestly think Jacobs brought that fire to the teams that won rings....Although they clearly have replaced his production(let's face it ...it was becoming less and less) they have failed to replace the fire and the passion he brought to this team. Several posters have pointed out that talent wins games....this is true....but in a league of parity...the difference between 2 good teams is passion, fire and who wants it the most....that is what seems to be missing from this team in my opinion

You know what? I completely agree with you post. We were talking about Shockey and his type of fire and passion, however...not BJ. I think getting rid of Shockey's type of fire and passion was a good thing. Let me point one thing out, however. I didn't watch the Giants a lot prior to Eli, so I can't really comment on what Shockey brought to the team during that period. What I saw out of him while he was with Eli was not pretty and needed to be addressed and was.

I felt that losing BJ was going to hurt the team, and if I was pressed I could probably find a post of mine stating that before the season even started. I believe that BJ's passion was out of his desire for the team to succeed while Shockey's fire and passion was out of his desire for him to succeed. Big difference, IMO.

fansince69
01-09-2013, 09:31 AM
You know what? I completely agree with you post. We were talking about Shockey and his type of fire and passion, however...not BJ. I think getting rid of Shockey's type of fire and passion was a good thing. Let me point one thing out, however. I didn't watch the Giants a lot prior to Eli, so I can't really comment on what Shockey brought to the team during that period. What I saw out of him while he was with Eli was not pretty and needed to be addressed and was.

I felt that losing BJ was going to hurt the team, and if I was pressed I could probably find a post of mine stating that before the season even started. I believe that BJ's passion was out of his desire for the team to succeed while Shockey's fire and passion was out of his desire for him to succeed. Big difference, IMO....Agreed..there is a huge difference.....while I am not saying that BJ is irreplaceable as far as stats.....there is that emotional quality that he brought that was not replaced....it doesn't really matter which side of the ball it comes from...but we really have no fire on this team...no outward show of ...We are better than you go ahead and prove us wrong brought

rebelfan1966
01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Maybe he can put on a dress and pom poms and come cheer for the Giants.... or maybe he can buy a fire helmet and lead cheers in the stands.

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
I missed 2002 Shockey. After that year it was all down hill from there...

Ruttiger711
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
I missed 2002 Shockey. After that year it was all down hill from there...

Exactly - early Shockey was great. Making that endzone catch over Dawkins and then telling him all about it as its called a TD is one of my favorite Shockey moments. Then he decided to aim all that fire internally...

TCHOF
01-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Exactly - early Shockey was great. Making that endzone catch over Dawkins and then telling him all about it as its called a TD is one of my favorite Shockey moments. Then he decided to aim all that fire internally...

That play was definitely the highlight of his Giants career

repeatchamps
01-09-2013, 10:34 AM
That play was definitely the highlight of his Giants career

I was at that game. We sat 107 row 25 which was right on the goal line on the side of the field he caught that ball. It basically happened right in front of me. Incredible moment. The win in that game allowed the Giants to clinch a playoff spot. I believe Akers missed two chip shot FG's that day and the Giants had just enough to win and sneak into the 2002 playoffs.

JesseJames
01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
I know I've said this before but we could use a guy like Keith Hamilton back on this team to put his foot in a few butts when they are slacking off just like he always used to do, Keith controlled the locker room..

NYGisBallin
01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
I was at that game. We sat 107 row 25 which was right on the goal line on the side of the field he caught that ball. It basically happened right in front of me. Incredible moment. The win in that game allowed the Giants to clinch a playoff spot. I believe Akers missed two chip shot FG's that day and the Giants had just enough to win and sneak into the 2002 playoffs.

Crazy game, Collins threw a pass to Amani I think for a TD that was called back for holding by Pettigout I believe?

Alot of penalties that game if memory serves me right... Classic game.

I've always wondered what Shockey said to Dawkins when he came down with the football.

jimsgints
01-09-2013, 11:52 AM
That's not a legit reason. Shockey wasn't just a rah-rah fiery guy. He was a tumor who whined and complained and then went out and dropped balls and laughed it off. Caused dumb penalties and laughed about that too.

rebelfan1966
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Shockey was a cancer in the huddle... so while he got fired up on the field, it was his down side that led to his ticket out of town.

Moke
01-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Shockey is like a little kid on sugar playing football amongst his friends.

Harooni
01-09-2013, 01:37 PM
The thing about Shockey was he loved to play the game. you got guys like tuck and eli , they look as if they can't wait for the offseason to come so they can relax and sit in a pool drinking beer.

http://i.fitperez.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/jeremy-shockey__oPt.jpg

GCGiant
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
The thing about Shockey was he loved to play the game. you got guys like tuck and eli , they look as if they can't wait for the offseason to come so they can relax and sit in a pool drinking beer.

http://i.fitperez.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/jeremy-shockey__oPt.jpg

You are more full of crap than the Christmas turkey...but entertaining, I have to give you that. Why is it so much fun for you to jerk our chains like this. (yes, I admit I am being reeled in by the master...but you have no idea how many times I have ignored and it was so hard)

Will you ever stop?

Harooni
01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
You are more full of crap than the Christmas turkey...but entertaining, I have to give you that. Why is it so much fun for you to jerk our chains like this. (yes, I admit I am being reeled in by the master...but you have no idea how many times I have ignored and it was so hard)

Will you ever stop? you do not want me to stop, you secretly love the banter. Now i know Shockey loved to party too, but you can see the difference in body language of guys that truly love the game. Shockey had a real passion for football.

JesseJames
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
whether you liked Shockey or not we haven't had the fire he brought to the team since he left.

TCHOF
01-10-2013, 11:32 AM
whether you liked Shockey or not we haven't had the fire he brought to the team since he left.

We've won two SB's without his fire.

bigblue58
01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't miss Shockey. He was a pin in the arss

BUT.........

If you ask me, this team could use some fire, personality and a a bit of attitude on offense...other then Bradshaw the offense is comprised of a multitude of laid back personalities. I love Eli, Cruz, Nicks and Snee and their unhurried demeanor is also a great quality and attribute. I just feel that you need to balance that "relaxed" with some more hungry/vocal presence.

-JD

Shockey wasn't fiery, he was only loud and animated when he was ticked off about not getting the ball! Shockey didnt play for the team he played for himself which is why he is already out of football after what amounts to a very forgettable career!