PDA

View Full Version : If Matt Ryan wins a ring this year, will he be threatening Eli's Elite spot?

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 06:40 PM
If the elite Quarterbacks are considered to be the Top 5 Qb's in todays NFL, then public perception ranks Eli at number 5. however, Ever since Matt ryan has entered the NFL for the exception of 2009 he has steadily improved. The only knock on him is that he has yet to win in the playoffs.

Is it possible that matt ryan may be considered among the elites if he is able to win it all this year? if not, do you think public perception will start considering him to be better than ELi? If Eli has another down year, will the NFL along with the fans start to feel that Matt ryan is the better guy? Do you think Matt ryan will be better when their careers are over?

If so, then why? If not then explain.

I thought about this a couple weeks ago and im curious to how you guys feel.

Flip Empty
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
This will not end well.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure Eli is that high after this season. I still don't like "elite" as it's not a status that anyone has quantified except to say so and so is elite. :popcorn:

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure Eli is that high after this season. I still don't like "elite" as it's not a status that anyone has quantified except to say so and so is elite. :popcorn:

Good point. I cant help but wonder how the players will rank matt on the top 100 after this season, and im curious as to who will be ranked higher between him and Eli. Especially if Matt is able to get a ring.

TheEnigma
01-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Threaten his spot? Nope

Enter the Eli and Big Ben tier? Probably

If he can put up a solid performance against the Seahawks, 49ers, and Broncos (all solid D's), he'll gain a ton of respect to be considered in those conversations.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Good point. I cant help but wonder how the players will rank matt on the top 100 after this season, and im curious as to who will be ranked higher between him and Eli. Especially if Matt is able to get a ring.

One thing Eli has that Ryan won't is the harsh glare of the New York media.. It almost makes it unfair to compare

Diamondring
01-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Eli really didn't have a down year. Now his year wasn't better than his second Superbowl year though.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Eli really didn't have a down year. Now his year wasn't better than his second Superbowl year though.

He didn't have a down year?

M00KIE
01-08-2013, 06:56 PM
It's not a "spot". Either a QB is good or they're not.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 06:57 PM
It's not a "spot". Either a QB is good or they're not.

Yes, but there is still no quantifiable criteria by which anyone can make an objective call one way or the other.

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Who cares?

Flip Empty
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Technically, he did, but statistically speaking, it wasn't by much.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Who cares?

The OP if no one else

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
The OP if no one elseI would say that's obvious, but seriously so what if he does?

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I would say that's obvious, but seriously so what if he does?

You could have simply ignored the thread

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 07:13 PM

damn rudy, its like that?

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
You could have simply ignored the threadI'm asking him a question actually.

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
damn rudy, its like that?Seriously, if he does take Eli's place or whatever..what would that do? Would it change your opinion of Eli? Would you care? I mean..what? Lol

TheEnigma
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
I doubt it happens anyway. The NFC streak must come to an end eventually and there's a good chance the Broncos or Pats win the big dance.

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Seriously, if he does take Eli's place or whatever..what would that do?

Thats where things get interesting..

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Thats where things get interesting..Well would you care? Does that change your opinion of Eli?

BrianK01
01-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I think Ryan would need two good playoff runs to offset the choking that he has been known for. Not only win in the post season but play the QB position at a really high level

rEaS
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM
man playing in a dome more than half your games does wonders for qbs.. im sure elis numbers would be better if he got to play in a chilled climate controlled place half his games..

i have a question.. the main knock on ryan is he hasn't won a playoff game.. have they played a playoff game at home with him till now?

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Well would you care? Does that change your opinion of Eli?

Can't you see im trying to stir something up here? People need something to talk about. I need a reason to root for a different team besides the Giants or else the playoffs is pointless to me.

And to answer your question, depending on How matt plays, yes. It would change my opinion on Eli.

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Can't you see im trying to stir something up here? People need something to talk about. I need a reason to root for a different team besides the Giants or else the playoffs is pointless to me. And to answer your question, depending on How matt plays, yes. It would change my opinion on Eli.That's all I wanted to know. GOSH.

BeatYale
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM

4 games without touchdowns. 6 games with just 1 touchdown. Completion %, Yards Per Game, and Number of 20+ Yard Passes are the lowest he's had in the past 4 years. He had 1 less interception than last year, however, they just seemed more critical (game changing) this year because our offense was struggling often. It definitely was a down year for Eli.

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
That's all I wanted to know. GOSH.

last time i checked miss attitude came into the thread and said

Who cares?

Roosevelt
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Seriously, if he does take Eli's place or whatever..what would that do? Would it change your opinion of Eli? Would you care? I mean..what? Lol

If it happens I will remove my Eli-bobble-head from the credenza.

RoanokeFan
01-08-2013, 08:35 PM
If it happens I will remove my Eli-bobble-head from the credenza.

Damn, this is serious now

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
man playing in a dome more than half your games does wonders for qbs.. im sure elis numbers would be better if he got to play in a chilled climate controlled place half his games..

i have a question.. the main knock on ryan is he hasn't won a playoff game.. have they played a playoff game at home with him till now?

the 3 best qbs in the nfl dont play in a dome. i dont think its a huge factor.

Roosevelt
01-08-2013, 08:37 PM
If the elite Quarterbacks are considered to be the Top 5 Qb's in todays NFL, then public perception ranks Eli at number 5. however, Ever since Matt ryan has entered the NFL for the exception of 2009 he has steadily improved. The only knock on him is that he has yet to win in the playoffs.

Is it possible that matt ryan may be considered among the elites if he is able to win it all this year? if not, do you think public perception will start considering him to be better than ELi? If Eli has another down year, will the NFL along with the fans start to feel that Matt ryan is the better guy? Do you think Matt ryan will be better when their careers are over?

If so, then why? If not then explain.

I thought about this a couple weeks ago and im curious to how you guys feel.

Eli's already made a name for himself. Now it's time for Ryan to do the same.

Everyone knows Eli's the luckiest quarterback on the face of the planet. ;)

It's up to Matt to write his own script.

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM
last time i checked miss attitude came into the thread and said[/COLOR]Who cares was the question. It wasnt rhetorical

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Eli's already made a name for himself. Now it's time for Ryan to do the same.

Everyone knows Eli's the luckiest quarterback on the face of the planet. ;)

It's up to Matt to write his own script.

Only time to tell. First he would have to help knock off the hawks.

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Who cares was the question. It wasnt rhetorical

You really wanted to know how i felt?

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 08:57 PM
You really wanted to know how i felt? Yep.

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 09:00 PM

:popcorn:

Rudyy
01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
:popcorn:I've said all that needed to be said, so no..there won't be any drama lol.

Roosevelt
01-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Damn, this is serious now

Were showing our age RF, Everyone else is saying "what's a credenza?"

Roosevelt
01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Only time to tell. First he would have to help knock off the hawks.

One step at a time.

Let's just hope we get some decent football this week. Last weekend was one of the worst playoff weekends I can remember.

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
I've said all that needed to be said, so no..there won't be any drama lol.

Hey, im not the bad guy here!

Marvelousmik
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
One step at a time.

Let's just hope we get some decent football this week. Last weekend was one of the worst playoff weekends I can remember.

the hawks game wasnt too bad. But i agree. the ravens texans and packers game kinda sucked

Cloud57
01-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Let's just hope the Falcons lose on Sunday so we won't have this debate

GameTime
01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
I dont care really. As long as Eli plays great for the Giants I couldn't care less where he is ranked....

dumb thread....

ny06
01-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Eli Manning has more super bowl wins then Matt Ryan has playoff victories.

BROADWAYSTORM
01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Who gives a ****. Until we make the playoffs again with good quarterback play I don't wanna hear a damn thing about none of this elite bull. :angry:

egyptian420
01-08-2013, 11:46 PM
lmfao you aren't serious right? I haven't even read all the responses to this, but the title just provoked me.....you're kidding right????

Russell Wilson, the rookie he's facing this weekend already has more playoff wins....go figure

BuffyBlueII
01-09-2013, 03:08 AM
Meh. The entire ELIte thing is because of the E-L-I. If we were to actually get technical about it, there are only 2-3 actual ELIte QBs in NFL and as of right now, Eli Manning is not one of them. They would be Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Now, if we were writing about ELIte post season QBs, Eli Manning is in that discussion. Of course this can all chancge next year in regard to overall ELIteness.

I couldn’t care less if Matt Ryan or anyone else is ranked higher or lower than Eli Manning. All I am concerned with is Eli Manning stepping it up and getting This Team back on track next season.

Matt Ryan not winning a Ring this year. Tom Brady is not gonna be denied this time.

BROADWAYSTORM
01-09-2013, 03:29 AM
He's not winning again. His team can't beat a single one of the remaining NFC teams.

Marvelousmik
01-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Meh. The entire ELIte thing is because of the E-L-I. If we were to actually get technical about it, there are only 2-3 actual ELIte QBs in NFL and as of right now, Eli Manning is not one of them. They would be Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Now, if we were writing about ELIte post season QBs, Eli Manning is in that discussion. Of course this can all chancge next year in regard to overall ELIteness.

I couldn’t care less if Matt Ryan or anyone else is ranked higher or lower than Eli Manning. All I am concerned with is Eli Manning stepping it up and getting This Team back on track next season.

Matt Ryan not winning a Ring this year. Tom Brady is not gonna be denied this time.

+1 *claps*

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEZPywReJQc3qpSjMxLj-NKu66KkXBjcUjeOW5xRWrfRt3wvL9
That was beautiful
(http://www.google.com/imgres?num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=X5Bsi_GIUpuRCM:&imgrefurl=http://walworthcountytoday.com/photos/galleries/2011/jun/05/graduation-blitz/&docid=tdCGAy9KuNmlQM&imgurl=http://media.gazettextra.com/img/photos/2011/06/05/EdgertonGrad2_t500.jpg%3F21bf6915bb019ee8470ac50ab 6ce308e04d7a184&w=500&h=697&ei=5TPtUL67M4n30gGc04CgAg&zoom=1)

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 06:55 AM
Were showing our age RF, Everyone else is saying "what's a credenza?"

LMAO

Flip Empty
01-09-2013, 07:20 AM
One step at a time.

Too right. Outside of the Seahawks, the wild card teams were rubbish. I wish we could just fast forward to Broncos v Patriots.

Redeyejedi
01-09-2013, 07:22 AM
4 games without touchdowns. 6 games with just 1 touchdown. Completion %, Yards Per Game, and Number of 20+ Yard Passes are the lowest he's had in the past 4 years. He had 1 less interception than last year, however, they just seemed more critical (game changing) this year because our offense was struggling often. It definitely was a down year for Eli.18 TD passes in 5 games, 8 in the other 11

RoanokeFan
01-09-2013, 07:55 AM
18 TD passes game in 5 games, 8 in the other 11

Amazing

Redeyejedi
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Amazing Those 5 "TB,Clev,GB,Eagles,NO" and the Panther game he played well. The rest of the year was a train wreck I dont care what the stats say from last year to this, he didnt play as well. U can give me Gilbride all U want but flat out Eli was missing throws

Redeyejedi
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Amazing Amazing , I really need to proof read what I write. Sometimes I think faster than I type

Kruunch
01-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Should change the poll to "If Matt Ryan wins a play off game this year ...".

gumby74
01-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Technically if you look at the numbers and compare them to his career (not just last year), he had a decent year. But yeah, he had some really really bad stinkers.

Mercury
01-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Won't be much to discuss after the Falcons lose again this Sunday.

EliDaMANning
01-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Not a day goes by where Eli wakes up believing Matt Ryan is a better QB than him.

GOBLUE24
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Elite Qbs dont miss the playoffs...Twice...let alone after Super bowl runs..Eli is a good QB but the elite stuff is garbage. he will get in the hof bc stats are embellished and two rings. he a good QB and top 6 in the NFL. Who cares if he elite or top 10. He with the Giants for the rest of his career and is our guy we have to cheer for. And boo from time to time. Very good are Peyton Elway Tom Brady Montana Farve (i put brees/rodgers here too)

DarkSaint
01-09-2013, 12:35 PM
Sometimes people look at stats and consider it, end all be all. Eli was playing behind a terrible oline which forced our crippled rb to pass block on every pass attempt. Our no1 recievers was injured practically the entire year but played anyway. He was easily blanketed which allowed teams to double, triple cover Cruz. No other QB had to throw into tighter windows every game while getting hit. I don't know if it was redeye or ya tittle who said earlier in the year that he was making throws maybe 2 other qb's make. At one point we were scoring 30 points a gams and Eli was leading the league in passing yards. It all went downhill after his 200 yard streak ended in the 49's game. He actually played good in this game, 49's at the time were the no ranked pass defense and Eli had thrown for 176 yards at the half. Since we had a big lead and were running well, we ran the ball the entire 2nd half instead of trying to pad stats in a blow out. We had big leads in the Dallas and pit games too, but our coaches start playing to kill the clock in the second half which then hurts the passing numbers. Then you have the 2nd Washington game, Eli was close to 200 yards in the 1st half with a td could have had more if the coached didn't forces running plays. We need to build our line and use our healthy recievers and improve our play calling. TD passes are overrated, when teams go in they try to pass first, with the exception of the 2nd ph and NO games, we try to punch it in like parcells's giants. Lets add up Eli manning's td passes and giants rushing td' that were inside the 20 and compare them to td scored by other teams. He'll be right up there even with all the problems that we had.

Giantz4Life
01-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Sometimes people look at stats and consider it, end all be all. Eli was playing behind a terrible oline which forced our crippled rb to pass block on every pass attempt. Our no1 recievers was injured practically the entire year but played anyway. He was easily blanketed which allowed teams to double, triple cover Cruz. No other QB had to throw into tighter windows every game while getting hit. I don't know if it was redeye or ya tittle who said earlier in the year that he was making throws maybe 2 other qb's make. At one point we were scoring 30 points a gams and Eli was leading the league in passing yards. It all went downhill after his 200 yard streak ended in the 49's game. He actually played good in this game, 49's at the time were the no ranked pass defense and Eli had thrown for 176 yards at the half. Since we had a big lead and were running well, we ran the ball the entire 2nd half instead of trying to pad stats in a blow out. We had big leads in the Dallas and pit games too, but our coaches start playing to kill the clock in the second half which then hurts the passing numbers. Then you have the 2nd Washington game, Eli was close to 200 yards in the 1st half with a td could have had more if the coached didn't forces running plays. We need to build our line and use our healthy recievers and improve our play calling. TD passes are overrated, when teams go in they try to pass first, with the exception of the 2nd ph and NO games, we try to punch it in like parcells's giants. Lets add up Eli manning's td passes and giants rushing td' that were inside the 20 and compare them to td scored by other teams. He'll be right up there even with all the problems that we had.

Dude, can't you just admit that you are 420? lol it's painfully obvious the way you write/type. Your writing styles are exactly the same the only difference is you make an attempt to capitalize and use punctuation with DarkSaint.

shane4177
01-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Let me just spell it out........I don't see the Falcons winning the SB this year.....so no threat anyway.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-09-2013, 01:41 PM

elite status to me is what you do in the playoffs,,regular season stats are fine and dandy,,but ask marino if he would trade that all for just one ring.

DarkSaint
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Dude, can't you just admit that you are 420? lol it's painfully obvious the way you write/type. Your writing styles are exactly the same the only difference is you make an attempt to capitalize and use punctuation with DarkSaint. This is getting old. Don't you mean our opinions are similar instead?

Morehead State
01-09-2013, 03:35 PM

Who are you and what have you done with Buffy?

Marvelousmik
01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Who are you?

Take a good guess

gmen46
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
You can't spell Eli without Elite ;)

Marvelousmik
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM

i was looking at the whole picture. not just this year but the last 5 years. matt has been improving steadily.

Imgrate
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
elite status to me is what you do in the playoffs,,regular season stats are fine and dandy,,but ask marino if he would trade that all for just one ring.trade the hall of fame for a super bowl ring?

BuffyBlueII
01-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Who are you and what have you done with Buffy?

I am right here buddy. Lol.......

I think that what folks are failing to see about this past season is that with all the issues we had with our OC, DC, players not panning out, injuries, dropped passes, etc......etc......., that we still could have made it to the playoffs if Eli Manning had stepped up and he didn't, not in 2012. ELIte QBs step up in those situations when the rest of their team is not performing and the ELIte QBs make his teammates play better. Eli Manning did this in 2011, the 2007 playoff run and at other times throughout his career. However, he has not been consistent with that. I was hoping that we would have the Eli of 2011 but we didn't this past season and that is the main reason that we didn't make the playoffs. Whatever our problems were, we were still very close and Eli Manning is our leader and we praise him when we win but we also need to take account of when we don't win because of him. Eli is how this team goes. He is how this team will go for at least the next 5-7 years.

If someone were to say that Eli is an ELIte post season QB then fine. If someone were to say that Eli is an ELIte SuperBowl QB then fine. If someone were to say that when Eli is on he is one of the best then fine. However, if we are going to call Eli an overall ELIte QB then we need that guy from 2011 back. This team needs that guy from 2011 back and I think it is possible.

As everyone knows, Eli is my favorite NY Giant and I know we will have a lot of exciting football from him for years to come and if the 2011 Eli doesn't come back and we keep the 2012 version then hey, I am fine with that too. It just means that we will constantly fight to make the playoffs but when we do, we know we can trust Eli to really step it up and that means a lot.

I have faith that ELIte Eli from 2011 will be coming back to lead this team in 2013.

I bELIeve.

BigBlueOnes
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
I can't stand Ryan. Can't stand the Falcons. I hope they get blown up this weekend.

NYFG
01-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Where is the option for who cares?

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Where is the option for who cares?
Its called..Not posting in this thread.
You have failed.

rEaS
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
the 3 best qbs in the nfl dont play in a dome. i dont think its a huge factor.

no i agree.. elite qbs are elite everywhere.. but i think domes make normal to good qbs better.. for example brees that plays like 40% better in the dome than outside.. and so does matt ryan..

01-10-2013, 01:41 PM
who gives a Da@# what people think about "Elite" status? Opinions are like noses, everyone has one and they all smell. The bottom line is winning, losing and Championships. Piss on writers and fans and ignorant players opinions.

gumby74
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I am right here buddy. Lol.......

I think that what folks are failing to see about this past season is that with all the issues we had with our OC, DC, players not panning out, injuries, dropped passes, etc......etc......., that we still could have made it to the playoffs if Eli Manning had stepped up and he didn't, not in 2012. ELIte QBs step up in those situations when the rest of their team is not performing and the ELIte QBs make his teammates play better. Eli Manning did this in 2011, the 2007 playoff run and at other times throughout his career. However, he has not been consistent with that. I was hoping that we would have the Eli of 2011 but we didn't this past season and that is the main reason that we didn't make the playoffs. Whatever our problems were, we were still very close and Eli Manning is our leader and we praise him when we win but we also need to take account of when we don't win because of him. Eli is how this team goes. He is how this team will go for at least the next 5-7 years.

If someone were to say that Eli is an ELIte post season QB then fine. If someone were to say that Eli is an ELIte SuperBowl QB then fine. If someone were to say that when Eli is on he is one of the best then fine. However, if we are going to call Eli an overall ELIte QB then we need that guy from 2011 back. This team needs that guy from 2011 back and I think it is possible.

As everyone knows, Eli is my favorite NY Giant and I know we will have a lot of exciting football from him for years to come and if the 2011 Eli doesn't come back and we keep the 2012 version then hey, I am fine with that too. It just means that we will constantly fight to make the playoffs but when we do, we know we can trust Eli to really step it up and that means a lot.

I have faith that ELIte Eli from 2011 will be coming back to lead this team in 2013.

I bELIeve.

Great post.

sharick88
01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Here's my list of QB's I would take over Eli Manning right now (Not saying that all are better, but who I would take going forward because of their skill set and potential):

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Big Ben
Andrew Luck
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton

Marvelousmik
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
no i agree.. elite qbs are elite everywhere.. but i think domes make normal to good qbs better.. for example brees that plays like 40% better in the dome than outside.. and so does matt ryan..

Do you think its mainly the dome, (not saying it isnt) or that they just play better at home? the sea hawks is another team that plays really good at home.

Marvelousmik
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Here's my list of QB's I would take over Eli Manning right now (Not saying that all are better, but who I would take going forward because of their skill set and potential):

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Drew Brees
Big Ben
Andrew Luck
Matt Ryan
Cam Newton

i could understand your reasoning behind all of those choices except for cam lol.

NYFG
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Its called..Not posting in this thread.
You have failed.

Its called I don't have a complex of what other people who have nothing to do with Eli or the New York Football Giants, care or say about Eli. Apparently you and everyone else who dignified this post with a response does and its quite frankly pathetic and insecure.

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Its called I don't have a complex of what other people who have nothing to do with Eli or the New York Football Giants, care or say about Eli. Apparently you and everyone else who dignified this post with a response does and its quite frankly pathetic and insecure.
Yet its you who continues to post in this thread.

Oh the irony!

NYFG
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Yet its you who continues to post in this thread.

Oh the irony!

Right but did I say anything about Matt Ryan being considered better than Eli?

Morehead State
01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Right but did I say anything about Matt Ryan being considered better than Eli?
I read in between the lines......You said that Eli sucks.

sharick88
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
i could understand your reasoning behind all of those choices except for cam lol.

I can understand why you disagree with Cam. I see a lot of Big Ben in him and he also is super dangerous when he gets into the open field. I think he is going to be the man really soon.